Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story
KJV

United States

#3123 Oct 13, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>"a- or an-[Greek a- and an- un-, non-]== Negative, not"

" http://www.macroevolution.net/biology-prefixe... ;

or

"a-, an-== not, without == apolitical, atheist, anarchy, anonymous, apathy, aphasia, anemia"

" http://www.prefixsuffix.com/rootchart.php&quo... ;

or

"a-(also an-)== not, without"

" http://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/prefixe... ;

or

"a-, an-(Greek: prefix; no, absence of, without, lack of; not)"

" http://wordinfo.info/unit/2838/ip:1" ;
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity

The act of believing that no deity exist.

Not doing nothing! Atheist believe in no deity, that is an action.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#3125 Oct 13, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
So we see science and the English language are not the Christhole's friends.
<quoted text>
This is very true. It often amuses me of how little they think before they assert.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#3126 Oct 13, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
In case you can't figure it out he was posting an Example where adding an "A" Does not do to the word as claimed in earlier post. Adding an A does not make the word the opposite of its self.
Theist: believe in a or many Deities.
Atheist: believe a or many Deities don't exist.
Agnostic: don't believe either way.
Agnostic is absence of believe.
Atheist have made a conscience decision that no Deities exist.
They BELIEVE God is not real.
Almost all studies separate Atheist from Nonbelievers, Why? Because they are not the same. Atheist try like hell to clump them together, Why?
No, adding an 'a' does not make it the "opposite" and I never claimed it did. It does mean an "absence of" though. Agnostic means "without knowledge of," atheist means "without belief of." Stop conflating the linguistic structure of the English language to suite your ill-conceived notions in a failed attempt of painting things black and white. Black and white notions only exist in fairy-tales, not reality.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#3127 Oct 13, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
So this is why you claim higher percentages of atheist then are really there. You just claim Theist are Atheist that'll bring up your numbers.
Atheist lying cheats.
I deal in facts.

Do you believe in Vishnu?

No? Then you're an atheist.

Since: Dec 10

Orefield, PA

#3128 Oct 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You've lost so many times, yet your never learn, do you? It's not really,just so many times that you've lost.........you've lost EVERY time on every issue.
But, I'll give you credit for one thing - you bounce back, lol you always get off the ground and come back with more egg on your face, only to lose all over again.
I guess you just like losing, lol.
I've noticed another thing about you that's consistent: you usually stay hidden at least 24 hours after one of your major losses until you see your fellow atheist losers posting their feeble attempts to salvage themselves (and their atheistic religion) and you think then it's time for you to jump back in again, lol. That's because you're a follower, not a leader. You haven't the guts to lead anything, which makes you even the bigger loser. And when you're not the lead dog, the view is always the same(you see only atheist a*sholes in front of you, lol).
Tell you what you do: find one of the atheist churches I posted, contact them, find out when their services are, and go celebrate your religion with your brothers and sisters in atheism.
And get you a little briefcase and carry your atheist bible and fraudulent science books with you to the first service. All your brothers and sisters in the church will be so proud of you, lol.
Oh yes, and like I told you yesterday, be sure and let your kiddos know about the atheist religion (and the atheist churches) so they won't grow up as ignorant as you are. Teach them to be atheists of great faith. LMAO
You'll have to forgive me if I don't take the pathetic judgements of a troll seriously.

As for you attempts to convince anyone that atheism is a religion, I will repeat what I said before. Just because a small group of people decide to call something a religion, it doesn't make it a religion. I have met folks who are in a club that goes around riding different roller coasters. A couple of them say it's a religious thing for them, and even go as far as to say it's their religion. Guess what? That doesn't mean everyone who rides a roller coaster considers it their religion, nor does it make roller coaster riding a religion. I guess you aren't smart enough to figure that out.
If you are so woefully ignorant, that you have to be told that atheism is not a religion, and the reasons it cannot be a religion, and yet you continue insisting that it is, I can't help you. You are just too stupid to get it.

Orefield, PA

#3129 Oct 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do I see the word atheist in there? LMAO sure do.........don't you?
The Calgary Secular Church is the good parts of the Christian church, without the bad. We are a small group of a-religious or atheist people ...[Hint: Do you see the word atheist in there?]
You deny what's printed right in front of you.
Winners don't do that.
That's what LOSERS do losers like you, lol.
You're just an ongoing loser maybe you try to do better, but you're just not capable.
Maybe you're a nice person who is trying to learn. Hahaha no let's don't go that far you're just the old serpent, and you're always (willfully) wrong, lol.
Of course I was refering to the name they gave themselves. And unfortunatly, I forgot that you have the mentality of a five year old, and have to have things like that explained to you. Looks like you failed again. Nothing new there. LOL!!

This is why I refer to you as Wimp-Lo.

Orefield, PA

#3130 Oct 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Here's another atheist church.
I suppose some of you atheists would attribute it to theists? LMAO:
"Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster"
"The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, while having existed in secrecy for hundreds of years, only recently came into the mainstream when this letter was published in May 2005.
With millions, if not thousands, of devout worshipers, the Church of the FSM is widely considered a legitimate religion, even by its opponents mostly fundamentalist Christians, who have accepted that our God has larger balls than theirs.
Some claim that the church is purely a thought experiment, satire, illustrating that Intelligent Design is not science, but rather a pseudoscience manufactured by Christians to push Creationism into public schools. These people are mistaken. The Church of FSM is real, totally legit, and backed by hard science. Anything that comes across as humor or satire is purely coincidental.
Pastafarianism is a real religion.
Most of us do not believe a religion Christianity, Islam, Pastafarianiasm requires literal belief in order to provide spiritual enlightenment. That is, we can be part of a community without becoming indoctrinated. There are many levels of belief.
By design, the only dogma allowed in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the rejection of dogma. That is, there are no strict rules and regulations, there are no rote rituals and prayers and other nonsense. Every member has a say in what this church is and what it becomes.
To outsiders it makes us hard to define, but here are some general things that can be said about our beliefs:
We believe pirates, the original Pastafarians, were peaceful explorers and it was due to Christian misinformation that they have an image of outcast criminals today
We are fond of beer
Every Friday is a Religious Holiday
We do not take ourselves too seriously
We embrace contradictions (though in that we are hardly unique)
Q: Is this a joke?
A: Its not a joke. Elements of our religion are often described as satire and there are many members who do not literally believe our scripture, but this isnt unusual in religion its only more obvious in the case of our particular religion. A lot of Christians, for example, dont believe the Bible is literally true but that doesnt mean they arent True Christians."
http://www.venganza.org/about/
The Church of FSM is real, totally legit, and backed by hard science.[SCIENCE AGAIN, lol]
Church of the FSM is widely considered a legitimate religion...
Q: Is this a joke? A: Its not a joke. Elements of our religion... blah blah blah ...
[We theists would never stoop to calling the atheist church a joke. We know it's quite real to them, lmao.]
LOL!!!
It's no surprise that you don't get this.
You should get out more.
Poor Wimp-Lo. I bet you don't even notice everyone laughing at you. LMAO!!!

Orefield, PA

#3131 Oct 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Just re-posting a favorite:
North Texas Church of Free Thought
Whatever you don't believe, you're not alone
The North Texas Church of Freethought is a Fellowship of Unbelievers. We do what all the other churches do, but with one less god. Our aim is to offer atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, and freethinkers all the educational, inspirational, and social and emotional benefits of traditional faith-based churches. We do this by preaching Freethought, a rational approach to religious questions of life, love, meaning, and happiness. Our growing community of freethinkers provides a positive, affirming environment for leading a good life, free of the illogic and intolerance of other religions based on holy books and supernaturalism.
Historian David Fitzgerald, author of Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed At All, will be visiting the DFW area later this week. He will speak at SMU this Wednesday night October 10 at the Umpherey Lee building room 241 at 7 pm ($5 donation suggested), Thursday night October 11 at UTA's Bluebonnet Ballroom at 6 pm ($10 for nonstudents), and on Friday October 12 at UTD's Clark Center at 6 pm.
http://www.churchoffreethought.org/
Let me guess...
You aren't smart enough to figure that out are you?

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

You are a tribute to uneducated theists everywhere!!! LOL!!!

Orefield, PA

#3132 Oct 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your help Hedonist. I realize how eager you always are to enlighten others.
Check the two "re-posts" that will appear after your post about some atheist churches, and see if they are "satire", lol.
Hint: I don't think so.
You might want to go back to your 40 year old theology courses and take it up again, comparing it to today's theology. Maybe you can evaluate the fine atheist churches springing up in today's world.
I almost thought you were coming to understand why everyone sees you as the clown act that you are when you posted... "I don't think" Too bad you put the word "so" after it. You almmost got one right.

Orefield, PA

#3133 Oct 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Just a final thought to inspire you for the day:
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony
Ms Anthony's quote was posted on Atheist Empire, here:
http://atheistempire.com/greatminds/greatest....
To repeat Ms Anthony:... always coincides with their own desires?
Does she mean like Jonah, in the Bible, lol?
Jonah was commissioned by God to go to Nineveh to preach and teach there, and to bring the people of that city to the Lord. We might tend to think Jonah should be able to go wherever he wanted to go, but that is not a principle taught in the Bible. Jonah decided to go in a direction completely opposite the direction the Lord wanted him to go. Jonah did not want to go to Nineveh because he knew the people in that city were very cruel. Jonah feared that if they didnt accept the message God had for them they might persecute or even kill him. We can understand why he wouldnt want to go there!
http://drewhaninger.com/jonah-in-the-bible/
[Well, bless her heart - Ms Anthony should have studied her Bible more. The Bible clearly tells in Jonah, chapters 1-3 how Jonah's desires were in direct conflict with what God wanted him to do, lol]
Jonah????
Really??? The guy who supposedly lived in the digestive tract of a fish for three days and survived????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Big breath.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Did you know that Paul Bunyan made the grand canyon by dragging his ax behind him?? LOL!!!!!

See, I know some fairy tales/myths just like you do. Of course the main difference is that I am smart enough to know that they are just make-believe. ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Man, your stupidity cracks me up!!! When you grow up, you'll understand.

Orefield, PA

#3134 Oct 13, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Atheist means without theism."
Wrong!! Unreal that you don't know this.
Merriam-Webster
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
Wrong.
The breakdown of the word means without theism.

Orefield, PA

#3135 Oct 13, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
BELIEVES!
Oh and this is not my definition this is straight out of Merriam-Webster.
An English Dictionary.
So if you use the English word atheist this is what you're saying. Too bad if you don't like it but that's the meaning of the word.
From dictionary.com :

atheist&#8194; &#8194;/&#712;e&#6 18;&#952;i&#618;st/ Show Spelled[ey-thee-ist] Show IPA
noun
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

They go farther in listing it's origins....
Origin:
156575; < Greek the ( os ) godless +-ist

An interesting note. Websters 1942 dictionary listed the definition of atheist as:

Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary, 1942.

atheism [Gr. atheos, an atheist a, priv. and theos, God] The disbelief of the existence of a God or Supreme intelligent Being.

Webster's New Twentieth Century Dictionary, 1943.

atheism [Gr. atheos, a, priv. and theos, God] The disbelief of the existence of a God, or supreme intelligent Being.

Webster's Unabridged Encyclopedic Dictionary, 1957

atheism: Disbelief in the existence of God; the state of godlessness. Atheism: unbelief in or denial of God or any supernaturalism; to ancient Greek it meant denial and lack of recognition of state gods. In 18th cent. it was a protest against religious hypocrisy; in 19th cent. it was any system not recognizing the idea of a personal Creator or any one supreme being. It sees marter, not spirit, as sole universal principle; its history one of opposition. Term often loosely used in referring to agnostics who neither deny nor admit the existence of God, or in regard to others who disagree with current theological doctrine.

Funk & Wagnalls Standard Desk Dictgionary, 1980

atheist: one who denies or disbelieves in the existence of God.

Websters became a subsidiary of Encyclopdia Britannica, Inc. in 1964.

Orefield, PA

#3136 Oct 13, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
So this is why you claim higher percentages of atheist then are really there. You just claim Theist are Atheist that'll bring up your numbers.
Atheist lying cheats.
Please list your source that contradicts his assertion.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#3137 Oct 13, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your problem?
You do realise that you're an atheist, don't you?
Khatru, unfortunately, I don't have the faith it takes to be an atheist, and I don't want to spend eternity in hell with you and your atheist brothers and sisters who have devoted your lives to your atheistic religion, lol.

Location hidden

#3138 Oct 13, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"How's that list of atheist names coming?"
How's this?
KittenKoder
The serpent was right
Hedonist
Reason Personified
Kong
Just Think
Khatru
Givemeliberty
NightSerf
Aerobatty
The laughing atheist
Double Fine
The Dude
Skippy
MikeF
Madscot
MrDesoto1
scaritual
It aint necessarily so
LMAO!!!

You did a great job, it just took more time typing your list than I felt the little troll was worth.

Location hidden

#3139 Oct 13, 2012
The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to forgive me if I don't take the pathetic judgements of a troll seriously.
Thanks for admitting you're a troll and that you don't take yourself seriously. No one else does either, lol.

Location hidden

#3140 Oct 13, 2012
<quoted text>
Of course I was refering to the name they gave themselves. And unfortunatly, I forgot that you have the mentality of a five year old, and have to have things like that explained to you. Looks like you failed again. Nothing new there. LOL!!
This is why I refer to you as Wimp-Lo.
Like I've told you before, you're ignorant and uninformed. You don't take the time to even know what your own brothers and sisters are doing, or anything about their religion. Here is some more information for you on The Calgary Secular church, which was founded by an atheist, for atheists:

The Calgary Secular Church

Editor's Note: Please welcome Korey Peters, who's written a guest post about an atheist organization he's founded that he's calling the Calgary Secular Church. In this post, he'll explain what motivated him to do it and what he's hoping to achieve.

My name is Korey Peters, and I'm one of the founding members of the Calgary Secular Church (CSC). In this article, I'd like to do three things: 1. Describe why I think a secular church is important. 2. Describe what the CSC is about. 3. Present my opening remarks from our inaugural meeting (which go in-depth into what we hope to accomplish). There will be some overlap, although I've tried to keep it to a minimum. I'll be happy to field questions in the comment section.

In the process of de-converting from fundamentalist Christianity, I stopped going to church. I had no intention of ever going back. However, I once rashly promised my wife that if we ever moved to the UK, I would sing in a choir with her. Well, much to my surprise, we did this in 2006. Within a week of landing my wife reminded me of my promise, so off we went to find an Anglican church with a good choir.

And find one we did. We were quickly integrated into the most lovely group of people you'd ever want to meet. The music was wonderful, the services light on insanity and heavy on social issues, the ale English (as it should be). That choir became our instant community for the 2 years we lived in England, and to this day I miss them all.

I'd never had such an enjoyable time at church! When we returned home, we began attending a local Anglican church and singing in the choir there. Here I was, a recent atheist now attending church more than I had when I was a Christian.

All of this got me thinking: Why couldn't atheists start a church, full of all the good things that church can bring, but absent the horror, ignorance, and superstition? I began to talk the idea over with some friends, but it remained an abstraction.

Several weeks ago I had a conversation with a co-worker that spurred me to finally take action. His wife was recently pregnant, and they discussed the many changes in their lives that a baby would bring. One change that was proposed was going back to church so that their child would learn right and wrong. I almost spit my coffee across the room. What a preposterous idea! Here were two college-educated, non-religious people who had just proposed taking their child into the church to learn the very thing Christian churches are least capable of teaching. The realization hit home that they have nowhere else to take their child. There were no viable alternative. No place that fostered community, that was safe to take children and young families to, that would help people live right and teach their children to live right.

They needed the atheist church I had been planning.

continued:
http://bigthink.com/daylight-atheism/the-calg...

... an atheist organization he's founded that he's calling the Calgary Secular Church

They needed the atheist church I had been planning.

Location hidden

#3141 Oct 13, 2012
<quoted text>
Let me guess...
You aren't smart enough to figure that out are you?
ROTFLMAO!!!!!
You are a tribute to uneducated theists everywhere!!! LOL!!!
Serpy, if you don't like their atheist church and their atheist religion, you need to contact them and tell them to go to hell, lmao!!!

You take your own brother and sister atheists as jokes, huh? Let's post it again fer 'ya, since you seem to be missing something, as you always do.

Here we go:

North Texas Church of Free Thought

Whatever you don't believe, you're not alone

The North Texas Church of Freethought is a Fellowship of Unbelievers. We do what all the other churches do, but with one less god. Our aim is to offer atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, and freethinkers all the educational, inspirational, and social and emotional benefits of traditional faith-based churches. We do this by preaching Freethought, a rational approach to religious questions of life, love, meaning, and happiness. Our growing community of freethinkers provides a positive, affirming environment for leading a good life, free of the illogic and intolerance of other religions based on holy books and supernaturalism.

Historian David Fitzgerald, author of Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed At All, will be visiting the DFW area later this week. He will speak at SMU this Wednesday night October 10 at the Umpherey Lee building room 241 at 7 pm ($5 donation suggested), Thursday night October 11 at UTA's Bluebonnet Ballroom at 6 pm ($10 for nonstudents), and on Friday October 12 at UTD's Clark Center at 6 pm.
http://www.churchoffreethought.org/

Orefield, PA

#3142 Oct 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Khatru, unfortunately, I don't have the faith it takes to be an atheist, and I don't want to spend eternity in hell with you and your atheist brothers and sisters who have devoted your lives to your atheistic religion, lol.
Wimp Lo, you don't have the brains to be an atheist, or the balls. You will spend eternity in the grave, just like everyone else. There is no reward waiting. that's just a silly story you were told so you don't wet yourset with fear. When it's over, it's over. You have zero proof that your silly god myth is real, and that obviously, really pisses you off. And that's so frickin' funny, I can't hardly stand it. When I read your pathetic posts, all I see is an underachiever, and a coward who isn't smart enough to figure out the truth, and isn't brave enough to question the stupidity of his/her goffy religion. Sucks to be you loser. LOL!!!! Keep praying to the myth!!! lmao!!!

Orefield, PA

#3143 Oct 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for admitting you're a troll and that you don't take yourself seriously. No one else does either, lol.
Oh look, the poor illiterate troll has no reading comprehension skills either!! What a surprise!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 38 min Morse 23,268
Evidence for God! 41 min Morse 373
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 48 min Morse 233,180
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 9 hr Morse 5,951
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 9 hr RayOne 2,621
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 10 hr SnuffAGlobalisst 23
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 15 hr Dee 41
More from around the web