Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments
2,961 - 2,980 of 11,175 Comments Last updated Jan 18, 2014

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
A does not mean NOT!
"a- or an-[Greek a- and an- un-, non-]== Negative, not"

" http://www.macroevolution.net/biology-prefixe... ;

or

"a-, an-== not, without == apolitical, atheist, anarchy, anonymous, apathy, aphasia, anemia"

" http://www.prefixsuffix.com/rootchart.php&quo... ;

or

"a-(also an-)== not, without"

" http://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/prefixe... ;

or

"a-, an-(Greek: prefix; no, absence of, without, lack of; not)"

" http://wordinfo.info/unit/2838/ip:1" ;

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Pastafarianism
Pastafarianism is a satire on religion.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Just re-posting a favorite:

North Texas Church of Free Thought

“Whatever you don't believe, you're not alone”

“The North Texas Church of Freethought is a Fellowship of Unbelievers. We do what all the other churches do, but with one less god. Our aim is to offer atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, and freethinkers all the educational, inspirational, and social and emotional benefits of traditional faith-based churches. We do this by preaching Freethought, a rational approach to religious questions of life, love, meaning, and happiness. Our growing community of freethinkers provides a positive, affirming environment for leading a good life, free of the illogic and intolerance of other religions based on holy books and supernaturalism.

Historian David Fitzgerald, author of Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed At All, will be visiting the DFW area later this week. He will speak at SMU this Wednesday night October 10 at the Umpherey Lee building room 241 at 7 pm ($5 donation suggested), Thursday night October 11 at UTA's Bluebonnet Ballroom at 6 pm ($10 for nonstudents), and on Friday October 12 at UTD's Clark Center at 6 pm.”
http://www.churchoffreethought.org/

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Just one more re-post today, lol:

“The First Atheist Church of True Science”(“FACTS”)- more info here:

A key religious ritual at FACTS is taking a pause at each new moon. During that interval, we reflect on both the majesty of the universe, and the direction of our lives.

The moon has been chosen to remind us of how similar is every human ... each person seeing the same lunar phase no matter where on Earth ree is situated. The "new moon" has been chosen because of its symbolic nature: reminding us that new experiences always arise as old ones conclude. And the night sky has been chosen because of the perspective it provides, reminding us of our place within the incredible expanse of both distance and time.
http://www.factschurch.com/

LMAO!!!

You can click here for their “sermons”:
http://www.factschurch.com/facts_sermons.html

Howling at the moon, lol?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Pastafarianism is a satire on religion.
Thank you for your help Hedonist. I realize how eager you always are to enlighten others.

Check the two "re-posts" that will appear after your post about some atheist churches, and see if they are "satire", lol.

Hint: I don't think so.

You might want to go back to your 40 year old theology courses and take it up again, comparing it to today's theology. Maybe you can evaluate the fine atheist churches springing up in today's world.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

derek4 wrote:
...Martin Luther ...
Some of Martin Luther's sentiments --

What shall we Christians do with this rejected and condemned people, the Jews? Since they live among us, we dare not tolerate their conduct, now that we are aware of their lying and reviling and blaspheming. If we do, we become sharers in their lies, cursing and blasphemy. Thus we cannot extinguish the unquenchable fire of divine wrath, of which the prophets speak, nor can we convert the Jews.... I shall give you my sincere advice:

First to set fire to their synagogues or schools and to bury and cover with dirt whatever will not burn, so that no man will ever again see a stone or cinder of them. This is to be done in honor of our Lord and of Christendom, so that God might see that we are Christians, and do not condone or knowingly tolerate such public lying, cursing, and blaspheming of his Son and of his Christians.(...remainder omitted)

Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed.(...remainder omitted)

Third, I advise that all their prayer books and Talmudic writings, in which such idolatry, lies, cursing and blasphemy are taught, be taken from them.(...remainder omitted)

Fourth, I advise that their rabbis be forbidden to teach henceforth on pain of loss of life and limb.(...remainder omitted)

Fifth, I advise that safe­conduct on the highways be abolished completely for the Jews. For they have no business in the countryside, since they are not lords, officials, tradesmen, or the like. Let they stay at home.(...remainder omitted)

Sixth, I advise that usury be prohibited to them, and that all cash and treasure of silver and gold be taken from them (...remainder omitted)

Seventh, I commend putting a flail, an ax, a hoe, a spade, a distaff, or a spindle into the hands of young, strong Jews and Jewesses and letting them earn their bread in the sweat of their brow,(...remainder omitted)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of Martin Luther's sentiments --
What shall we Christians do with this rejected and condemned people, the Jews? Since they live among us, we dare not tolerate their conduct, now that we are aware of their lying and reviling and blaspheming. If we do, we become sharers in their lies, cursing and blasphemy. Thus we cannot extinguish the unquenchable fire of divine wrath, of which the prophets speak, nor can we convert the Jews.... I shall give you my sincere advice:
First to set fire to their synagogues or schools and to bury and cover with dirt whatever will not burn, so that no man will ever again see a stone or cinder of them. This is to be done in honor of our Lord and of Christendom, so that God might see that we are Christians, and do not condone or knowingly tolerate such public lying, cursing, and blaspheming of his Son and of his Christians.(...remainder omitted)
Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed.(...remainder omitted)
Third, I advise that all their prayer books and Talmudic writings, in which such idolatry, lies, cursing and blasphemy are taught, be taken from them.(...remainder omitted)
Fourth, I advise that their rabbis be forbidden to teach henceforth on pain of loss of life and limb.(...remainder omitted)
Fifth, I advise that safe­conduct on the highways be abolished completely for the Jews. For they have no business in the countryside, since they are not lords, officials, tradesmen, or the like. Let they stay at home.(...remainder omitted)
Sixth, I advise that usury be prohibited to them, and that all cash and treasure of silver and gold be taken from them (...remainder omitted)
Seventh, I commend putting a flail, an ax, a hoe, a spade, a distaff, or a spindle into the hands of young, strong Jews and Jewesses and letting them earn their bread in the sweat of their brow,(...remainder omitted)
The link appears to be conveniently missing from your post.

Many Christians, myself included, do not necessarily support Martin Luther or his positions stated in the quotes you attribute to him. It may surprise you, but Martin Luther isn't God to Christians.

I could research it and see if Martin Luther said that or not. However, I don't know why I would bother, since Martin Luther's quote is irrelevant to the atheist faith and religion and the atheist churches where they worship and confirm their faith among themselves.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Just a final thought to inspire you for the day:

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Ms Anthony's quote was posted on Atheist Empire, here:
http://atheistempire.com/greatminds/greatest....

To repeat Ms Anthony:“... always coincides with their own desires”?

Does she mean like Jonah, in the Bible, lol?

“Jonah was commissioned by God to go to Nineveh to preach and teach there, and to bring the people of that city to the Lord. We might tend to think Jonah should be able to go wherever he wanted to go, but that is not a principle taught in the Bible. Jonah decided to go in a direction completely opposite the direction the Lord wanted him to go. Jonah did not want to go to Nineveh because he knew the people in that city were very cruel. Jonah feared that if they didn’t accept the message God had for them they might persecute or even kill him. We can understand why he wouldn’t want to go there!”

http://drewhaninger.com/jonah-in-the-bible/

[Well, bless her heart - Ms Anthony should have studied her Bible more. The Bible clearly tells in Jonah, chapters 1-3 how Jonah's desires were in direct conflict with what God wanted him to do, lol]

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

msjman wrote:
spectacular
Actually

"Spectacular" is not far removed from "Secular"

Whereas "jizz stain" is not far removed from "Christian"

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, studies have shown that prayer doesn't work, and in some cases may even be harmful.
It may not work for xtians but it certainly worked for those Muslims that destroyed the World Trade Centre.

I guess the Muslim god is more powerful than the xtian god.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Be sure to let your praying atheist brothers and sisters know. Your input is important to your religion and theirs.
What's your problem?

You do realise that you're an atheist, don't you?
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Technically, depends on your usage of the word. To abridge text is taking away the bridge, so it is a "non-bridge," you are taking something away, it is an absence of something, therefore, it is like atheist in that manner.

Look, you can keep trying to redefine how English works, but no one is buying it. Atheist is anyone who is not a theist. Technically even all agnostic and deists should be counted as atheist as well.

Also, your numbers are wrong, since you won't listen to reason that's all I have to say on that.
In case you can't figure it out he was posting an Example where adding an "A" Does not do to the word as claimed in earlier post. Adding an A does not make the word the opposite of its self.

Theist: believe in a or many Deities.
Atheist: believe a or many Deities don't exist.

Agnostic: don't believe either way.
Agnostic is absence of believe.

Atheist have made a conscience decision that no Deities exist.
They BELIEVE God is not real.

Almost all studies separate Atheist from Nonbelievers, Why? Because they are not the same. Atheist try like hell to clump them together, Why?
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>So we see science and the English language are not the Christhole's friends.
Why'd you change you icon photo?
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>It is Discovery Institute creationist, founded and despite a massive media blitz, he just can't figure out why the only members are the D. I. shills. And again, that would come under the heading of having a clue, as what to an atheist is.

How's that list of atheist names coming?
"How's that list of atheist names coming?"

How's this?

KittenKoder
The serpent was right
Hedonist
Reason Personified
Kong
Just Think
Khatru
Givemeliberty
NightSerf
Aerobatty
The laughing atheist
Double Fine
The Dude
Skippy
MikeF
Madscot
MrDesoto1
scaritual
It aint necessarily so
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

<quoted text>Atheist means without theism.

While these babes were atheist and non believers at birth, to have kept them that way, they would have had to be separated from the very parents who were going to willfully indoctrinate them.

Why is it so hard for you idiots to understand.

Do you have your own island, do you have a giraffe.

No, well then try real hard to understand .... as you have no giraffe, we have no theism, and that is all an atheist is. Someone without theism.

When the child is indoctrinated, the child now has theism, until that time the child was astheist.

66% of the world's population are now, by choice non beleivers.
"Atheist means without theism."

Wrong!! Unreal that you don't know this.

Merriam-Webster

athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

<quoted text>I am saying that science works, and it is science that has brought you these inventions. It is you that tries to equate it to atheism.

I'm saying take your anti-science agenda to the science forums. It makes no sense for you to bring it here.

And, you are right, Jesus if he existed was a fraud. And Noah ddidn't build that boat. And any god that exists, only exists in mans imaginations.
There is Science (R&D) type

Then there is evolution type science that makes ridicules jumps and far fetched conclusions.

Bell labs never claimed the jaw bone of a pig was the missing link!

LOL
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

<quoted text>The "A", in the word atheist means not! As in not theist! Willful ignorance becomes you.
ignorance!

Yes you are full of it!

Merriam-Webster

\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

<quoted text>Actually it is now approximately 66% of earth's population, who are non believers.

The other 34% are split up into several thousand assorted cults, pledging fealty to a variety of gods
Oh wow!

Have you no shame?

That is so ridiculous!
Why not go for 98% while you're at it
After all a lie is a lie is a lie, makes no differences to an atheist.

2.3% of the world population is atheist maybe 1 or 2 percent off no more.
I have REAL FACTS to back it up.

1.6% of the United States Population is Atheist.

Hell there is damn near more Unicorns then there are atheist!
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

<quoted text>Why would any of us, be pissed? 66% of the earth's population are currently non believers.
Time to wake up and go to school!
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Although I deny the possibility that Jehovah-Jesus, Yahweh and Allah exist and all other gods that allegedly created the universe over days, that allegedly protect us from evil, or that allegedly answer prayer since all of that is obviously incorrect, I acknowledge the possibility of other gods.

And I am an atheist by virtue of not being a theist.
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun

BELIEVES!

Oh and this is not my definition this is straight out of Merriam-Webster.
An English Dictionary.

So if you use the English word atheist this is what you're saying. Too bad if you don't like it but that's the meaning of the word.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 min Aura Mytha 224,116
Our world came from nothing? 22 min Richardfs 202
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 48 min Buck Crick 21,387
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 2 hr DonPanic 1,286
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 4 hr religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 4 hr religionisillness 370
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 18 hr religionisillness 834
•••
•••