Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#3030 Oct 12, 2012
Universal Life Church Monastery

About Us:

The Universal Life Church Monastery strongly believes in the rights of all people from all faiths to practice their religious beliefs, regardless of what those beliefs are, be they Christian, Jew, Gentile, Agnostic, Atheist, Buddhist, Shinto, Pagan, Wiccan, Druid or even Dignity Catholics; so long as they do not infringe upon the rights of others and are within the law of the land and one’s conscience.

We ordain ministers, priests, rabbis and clergy worldwide who are totally non-religious or even anti-religious. This may seem contradictory, but we are looking to change the negative perceptions of religion, faith and spirituality, by encouraging people to take control, stand up and speak truth to power by fearlessly stating their personal religious beliefs. The ULC Monastery seeks to fulfill the spiritual needs of as many different groups as we can by offering a wide variety of services, ordinations, information and networking opportunities. We teach that the communication and fellowship of our ministers is equal to the once a week sacramonious fellowship in some of our most segregated and elitist churches. We further proclaim that "We are all Children of the same Universe" and as such we each have a right to be here. Thus said, that is the way that your God and Mother Nature planned it.

We can best accomplish this with your help. If there is anything you would like to see added to the website which will help you grow spiritually, please feel free to contact us.

We have the same legal standing as any worldwide religious institution. Upon request we issue Ordination Certificates and notarized Letters of Good Standing to all ordained ULC ministers in our data banks.

In closing, we need your prayers. We know where we are going. If you should decide not to travel our path and seek fellowship somewhere else; God speed. Nonetheless, do drop by from time to time as we know you will. It is our hope that you’ll remember us on this day we met on our journey to Jericho where Joshua fought the battle and the walls of intolerance came tumbling down. We continue Joshua’s battle herein

Statement of Universal Life Church Monastery


We believe that everyone should be an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church Monastery. Anyone who has not yet done so is simply unaware of the accorded privileges to perform wedding ceremonies, funerals, baptisms and yes, even exorcisms. This church will legally ordain anyone who asks and we will never charge a fee for doing so.

Select Get Ordained to begin the ordination process today. We offer this service as part of our non-profit ULC ministry, without any question as to your religious or spiritual faith, beliefs or practices. We keep a formal legal record of all ordinations for life.

This ULC church has two tenets: to ensure for each of our ordained ministers the absolute right of freedom to practice their religion in the manner of their choosing, as mandated by the First Amendment; and to encourage our newly ordained ministers to do that which is right and in accord with their government’s laws.

The Universal Life Church Monastery will not stand between you and your God and we recognize that each minister and clergy member has the right to choose his or her own spiritual path. Each minister legally ordained by the ULC Monastery is at liberty to follow any religious path so long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others.
http://www.themonastery.org/aboutUs

Especially noteworthy from the above:

“We ordain ministers, priests, rabbis and clergy worldwide who are totally non-religious or even anti-religious.”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#3031 Oct 12, 2012
The atheist religion includes prayer.

Here is an atheist prayer:

ATHEIST PRAYER
Our Powers are within,
Whatever be their name.
What they have done, what still may come,
This Earth can yet be as Heaven.
Live then this day, and without dread,
And forgive your own trespasses
As you forgive those who trespass against you.
And be not led into temptation,
But flee away from evil,
For Time is the Healer,
With power to restore me,
Forever and ever, Amen.
http://packham.n4m.org/atheist2.htm

Also found within the text at the above link:

“Can an atheist pray? Why not? I don't believe in God - at least not the God as described by the majority of theists - but I DO believe that there is plenty of evidence that we human beings can summon up powers to help us in difficult times. I don't venture to guess whether these powers are within us or outside us, but I don't think it matters what their source is, they are there. And we can benefit from them.

Those who believe in God summon up these powers by calling upon God in prayer. Those who do not believe in God use other methods - meditation, visualization, altered states of consciousness, whatever. They work for the believer, and because they sometimes work, the believer's faith is strengthened, because the prayers are answered. They work just as well for the non-believer.

I guess what I am saying is that one doesn't have to give up one's access to these powers just because one has given up belief in God. They are still there. I use them, all the time. Whereas I used to address a prayer: "Dear God, please..." I now simply place myself in a meditative state, relax, and put my feelings into words (sometimes only mentally) addressed to whoever or whatever may be listening. Even if it is only some part of my inner self, something happens to bring me peace, self-assurance, confidence. My fears are calmed, my sorrows are soothed, and I am reminded of my unassailable right to my tiny place in the universe, and that somehow everything will turn out all right in the end, or, if it doesn't, it won't really matter.”

[LMAO – a prayer “addressed to whoever or whatever may be listening."]

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#3032 Oct 12, 2012
Why (as an Atheist) I Pray

“I identify as an atheist. Empirically, I’ve never seen any evidence supporting the existence of a deity, and rationally, none of the major religious belief systems make any sense to me. Cosmologically, I guess I would call myself a meta-evolutionist (I believe both in Darwinian evolution, and in the evolution of the evolutionary process).”

[Poster's insert: more reference to science which relates to atheism....]
continued:

Still, I respect many religious traditions and practices. I respect religious tradition because I like tradition in general, and religious ones are often the only ones available in any particular life area. As for religious practices, I take an eclectic approach. I like pork chops and bacon too much to ever be kosher, but I don’t mind (and sometimes enjoy) reciting Jewish prayers before meals (my wife and daughter are Jewish).

One religious practice I embrace wholeheartedly is prayer. Prayer can mean many different things, but I’m talking about the “personal dialogue with God” variety.

So how does this fit in with atheism? If I pray, who or what am I praying to? Do I just have a massive tolerance for cognitive dissonance? Or have I bought into the sloppy pseudoscience behind “remote healing”?

No and no. My practice of prayer is consistent with my rational, atheistic belief system. Nothing spooky or supernatural is required to make an argument for why prayer is effective (for me).

I’ll try to explain.

[Poster's insert: He goes on to explain, then concludes with this in his closing paragraph:]

“... there’s no need to give up religious practice, just because you’ve decided that the idea of a Creator doesn’t make sense. You can still go to church/temple/mosque, you can still pray (both traditional prayer and the “personal prayer” I talked about in this post if that’s part of your tradition). I realize, living in the Bay Area, that I’m in a bubble of enlightened religious thinking, where many reformed communities are completely tolerant of naturalistic philosophies like Darwinism. Richard Dawkins criticizes these types as “religious moderates,” trying to find middle ground where none exists. Maybe that’s a valid criticism in some cases, but there’s more to religion than belief (especially in the case of Judaism). There are powerful psychological factors involved in community, ritual, and practice that bind us to each other, and help us in our own personal growth, and we don’t have to believe in God to take advantage of these things.”
http://jdmoyer.com/2011/07/25/why-as-an-athei...

“... just because you’ve decided that the idea of a Creator doesn’t make sense. You can still go to church/temple/mosque, you can still pray (both traditional prayer and the “personal prayer” I talked about in this post.”

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3033 Oct 12, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>2005? Did you have go that far back to find something relevant to your mistaken way of thinking? You could have just done what all the other religitards do. Make something up and lie. Even if it were true, theism is not just Christain, it is every bit of space cadet crap that can be imagined, even the guys who wait for the bus from outer space. Those are your theist!

100% of babies born to theist parents, are atheist.

100%.... we didn't lose them, we never had them, they are atheist at birth. That means without theism, it does not mean non believer, even those infants are non believers too.

Being the children of theist, they will be indoctrinated to whatever invisible magic friend mind fantasy their parents play at.

There are many thousands of theistic bents, that the theist parents could be indoctrinating their children into. You go ahead and claim them all for the loon side, the worship of any and every god from Achelois to Zeus, from Kali to Beelzebub, they all make up that ever shrinking percentage, they are the vanishing theist.

Once upon a time, all these gods were believed in, and now it's only a tiny percentage, that are left, with even a few believers. >>> godchecker.com
"100% of babies born to theist parents, are atheist.

100%.... we didn't lose them, we never had them, they are atheist at birth. "

What?

100% are born atheist then you had them! Duh!

Regardless of what their parents believe atheist claim that all humans are born Atheist. That means that atheist had them and then lost them.

2.3% of the world population is currently atheist. That means 97.7% are no longer atheist. YOU LOST THEM.

LOL

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3034 Oct 12, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>That might work out better for you, if you took your agenda to the science forum, and btw, tablets, smart phones, ipads, pcs, and even keyboards are proof that science is getting it right.
Ummm that just plain stupid!

So you're claiming that because science invented the iPhone that there is no God?

A PC proves Jesus was a fraud?

Keyboards prove that Noah didn't build a boat?

What planet are you from?

Wow!

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#3040 Oct 12, 2012
From The Washington Post:

“Religion for Atheists: A Non-Believer’s Guide to the Uses of Religion”

by Alain de Botton

“...in what is sure to be his most controversial book,“Religion for Atheists,” de Botton turns his attention to aspects of religion he considers worth saving. Employing his usual mix of (mostly) cogent, highly personal discourse and quirky, often hilarious photographs, he tries to make a case for not throwing out the baby with the baptismal water.

De Botton states up front that he was brought up “in a committedly atheistic household, as the son of two secular Jews who placed religious belief somewhere on a par with an attachment to Santa Claus.” He adds:“I recall my father reducing my sister to tears in an attempt to dislodge her modestly held notion that a reclusive god might dwell somewhere in the universe. She was eight years old at the time.” Well, one can only imagine the old man’s reactions to some of his son’s pronouncements in “Religion for Atheists.” Case in point:“Secular education will never succeed in reaching its potential until humanities lecturers are sent to be trained by African-American Pentecostal preachers.”

Though written by and for people who do not believe in the existence of God or “in miracles, spirits, or tales of burning shrubbery,” the book could be subtitled “Religious Appreciation 101.”

continued:

“His criticisms of secular culture center on its lack of emotionality. He considers higher education irrelevant to “the most serious questions of the soul” and says it fails to teach us how to live. He believes that museums, which could be our new temples, stress information over feelings, which are what really matter. He dourly regards marriage as “one of modern society’s most grief-stricken arrangements, which has been rendered unnecessarily hellish by the astonishing secular supposition that it should be entered into principally for the sake of happiness.” On the other hand, he argues that “religions are wise in not expecting us to deal with all of our emotions on our own.”

De Botton is least persuasive when he makes specific proposals for a secular religion. His two primary models for this endeavor, Friedrich Nietzsche and Auguste Comte, were by his own admission mentally unbalanced.

continued.....
http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/b...

“I recall my father reducing my sister to tears in an attempt to dislodge her modestly held notion that a reclusive god might dwell somewhere in the universe. She was eight years old at the time.”

“Secular education will never succeed in reaching its potential until humanities lecturers are sent to be trained by African-American Pentecostal preachers.”[LMAO]

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3047 Oct 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
“The First Atheist Church of True Science”(“FACTS”)- more info here:

A key religious ritual at FACTS is taking a pause at each new moon. During that interval, we reflect on both the majesty of the universe, and the direction of our lives.

The moon has been chosen to remind us of how similar is every human ... each person seeing the same lunar phase no matter where on Earth ree is situated. The "new moon" has been chosen because of its symbolic nature: reminding us that new experiences always arise as old ones conclude. And the night sky has been chosen because of the perspective it provides, reminding us of our place within the incredible expanse of both distance and time.
http://www.factschurch.com/

LMAO!!!

You can click here for their “sermons”:
http://www.factschurch.com/facts_sermons.html
Nice!
LMAO with you dude!

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3048 Oct 12, 2012
Just Think wrote:
Looks like Derek is spamming away again...
Looks like "Just Think" for got to (think)!

Derek is posting facts to refute your lies that's not spamming!

Derek don't you love these idiot that claim to be educated and their babbling tantrums when you bitch slap them with facts.

LOL

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3049 Oct 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Looks like "Just Think" is as much of a dim wit as ever, lol.
Yes sir!

You can't expect them to have the cream if the crop after all they lost 97.7% of their clan. Lol

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3050 Oct 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians DON'T need you, lol. Who said we did?
But your fellow atheists have organized churches to gather together and practice their false faith and religion. They are drifting along off course in their own "religion boat".
“Since its inception, the First Church of Atheism has amassed quite a following around the world. FCA ministers come from all walks of life. They are every race, ethnicity, age, and creed. The one thing binding every FCA minister is his or her belief in science, reason, and reality.”
“The First Church of Atheism wants you to pursue and cherish your realistic beliefs without interference from any outside agency, including government or church authority. We provide our service for free, as we believe it is every atheists right to perform these clergy functions."
http://firstchurchofatheism.com/
Read it again. >>>Why do you think that you need us in your faith and religion boat? Do you want to be like us? If so you are still going at it the wrong way, but keep trying, you may get it right after a few thousand or so more tries. <<<< The sentence stopped at the question mark.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#3051 Oct 12, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Abridge is not a non bridge.
LOL
Technically, depends on your usage of the word. To abridge text is taking away the bridge, so it is a "non-bridge," you are taking something away, it is an absence of something, therefore, it is like atheist in that manner.

Look, you can keep trying to redefine how English works, but no one is buying it. Atheist is anyone who is not a theist. Technically even all agnostic and deists should be counted as atheist as well.

Also, your numbers are wrong, since you won't listen to reason that's all I have to say on that.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3052 Oct 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe this will help you, lmao:
“First Atheist Church of True Science explains why atheism is a religion.”
Video in attached link is excerpt from an atheist sermon:
http://yourhappyplace.yuku.com/topic/54211/At...
[It's mostly all “double talk”- he's confused, as are most atheists - but the bottom line:“atheism is a religion”- he says it several times in his rambling rant, lol. So, there you have it from the very mouth of an atheist.]
It doesn't help you.

That really looks more like theist, who are pretending to be atheist. And they might be more believable as atheist, if only they knew what being an atheist is.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3053 Oct 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Atheism is a religion.
Atheists even have their own bible:
From CNN:
Leading atheist publishes secular Bible
“The question arose early in British academic A.C. Grayling’s career: What if those ancient compilers who’d made Bibles, the collected religious texts that were translated, edited, arranged and published en masse, had focused instead on assembling the non-religious teachings of civilization’s greatest thinkers?
What if the book that billions have turned to for ethical guidance wasn’t tied to commandments from God or any one particular tradition but instead included the writings of Aristotle, the reflections of Confucius, the poetry of Baudelaire? What would that book look like, and what would it mean?
Decades after he started asking such questions, what Grayling calls “a lifetime’s work” has hit bookshelves.“The Good Book: A Humanist Bible,” subtitled “A Secular Bible” in the United Kingdom, was published this month. Grayling crafted it by using more than a thousand texts representing several hundred authors, collections and traditions.
The Bible would have been “a very different book and may have produced a very different history for mankind,” had it drawn on the work of philosophers and writers as opposed to prophets and apostles, says Grayling, a philosopher and professor at Birkbeck College, University of London, who is an atheist.
continued:
Determined to make his material accessible, Grayling arranged his nearly 600-page "Good Book" much like the Bible, with double columns, chapters (the first is even called Genesis) and short verses. And much like the best-selling King James Bible, which is celebrating its 400th year, his book is written in a type of English that transcends time.
Like the Bible, "The Good Book," opens with a garden scene. But instead of Adam and Eve, Grayling's Genesis invokes Isaac Newton, the British scientist who pioneered the study of gravity.
While many intellectual traditions – religious and otherwise – teach that there’s “one right way to live,” Grayling says he hopes “The Good Book” will encourage people to “go beyond your teachers, your text” to understand that “we have to respect and relate to one another.”
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/11/lead...
[His “bible” is the TRUE “pink unicorn” book of religious atheism; as false as all atheists are – filled with nothing but myths, lies, and dishonesty. It tells us all we need to know of the sham of atheism.]
From someone who knows what an atheist is, and what the word atheist means, that really looks more like theist, who are pretending to be atheist.

And they might be more believable as atheist, if only they knew what being an atheist is.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3054 Oct 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I really don't have to repeat anything I said.
Here's something new fer 'ya, lol:
FROM: USA Today:
“First Atheist Church of True Science explains why atheism is a religion.”
“Bonus: church founded by atheist lawsuit king Michael Newdow”
http://www.fark.com/comments/6311079/First-At...
From an atheist who knows what atheism is, and what isn't, you are still wrong. And your link, well that really looks more like theist, who are pretending to be atheist. And they might be more believable as atheist, if only they knew what being an atheist is.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#3055 Oct 12, 2012
So we see science and the English language are not the Christhole's friends.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Technically, depends on your usage of the word. To abridge text is taking away the bridge, so it is a "non-bridge," you are taking something away, it is an absence of something, therefore, it is like atheist in that manner.
Look, you can keep trying to redefine how English works, but no one is buying it. Atheist is anyone who is not a theist. Technically even all agnostic and deists should be counted as atheist as well.
Also, your numbers are wrong, since you won't listen to reason that's all I have to say on that.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3056 Oct 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You lose. Not only is atheism a religion, it is an organized religion with their own churches.
You need to familiarize yourself with atheism and their religion. Better educate your kiddos, too - after all, you don't want them to turn out as ignorant as you, lol.
“First Church of Atheism”:
“With the First Church of Atheism you can become ordained quickly, easily, and at no cost.”
“As a legally ordained minister, you will be able to perform weddings, funerals, commitment ceremonies, and other functions that are reserved for members of clergy.”
“Get Ordained”
“Since its inception, the First Church of Atheism has amassed quite a following around the world. FCA ministers come from all walks of life. They are every race, ethnicity, age, and creed. The one thing binding every FCA minister is his or her belief in science, reason, and reality.”
“The First Church of Atheism wants you to pursue and cherish your realistic beliefs without interference from any outside agency, including government or church authority. We provide our service for free, as we believe it is every atheists right to perform these clergy functions.
You may become a legally ordained minister for life, without cost, and without question.
Donations are accepted but not expected. If we can raise enough money we can buy an actual church! Even a donation of $1 helps.”
http://firstchurchofatheism.com/
Discovery Institute creationist, founded and despite a massive media blitz, he just can't figure out why the only members are the D. I. shills. And again, that would come under the heading of having a clue, as what to an atheist is.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3057 Oct 12, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Re-posting part of my favorite about the churches and religion of atheism, lol:
First Church of Atheism:
“With the First Church of Atheism you can become ordained quickly, easily, and at no cost.”
“Since its inception, the First Church of Atheism has amassed quite a following around the world. FCA ministers come from all walks of life. They are every race, ethnicity, age, and creed. The one thing binding every FCA minister is his or her belief in science, reason, and reality.”
“The First Church of Atheism wants you to pursue and cherish your realistic beliefs without interference from any outside agency", blah, blah, blah ...
"Donations are accepted but not expected. If we can raise enough money we can buy an actual church! Even a donation of $1 helps.”
[Poster's insert: LMAO, they didn't waste any time getting to the money part.]
read more here:
http://firstchurchofatheism.com/
It is Discovery Institute creationist, founded and despite a massive media blitz, he just can't figure out why the only members are the D. I. shills. And again, that would come under the heading of having a clue, as what to an atheist is.

How's that list of atheist names coming?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3058 Oct 13, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you the one that objects to the "Slow Children At Play" signs?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2GOp00WR4XM/TMdszub...
:)
You know he is.

The badger loves that sign, thanks.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3059 Oct 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
The atheist religion includes prayer.
Here is an atheist prayer:
ATHEIST PRAYER
Our Powers are within,
Whatever be their name.
What they have done, what still may come,
This Earth can yet be as Heaven.
Live then this day, and without dread,
And forgive your own trespasses
As you forgive those who trespass against you.
And be not led into temptation,
But flee away from evil,
For Time is the Healer,
With power to restore me,
Forever and ever, Amen.
http://packham.n4m.org/atheist2.htm
Also found within the text at the above link:
“Can an atheist pray? Why not? I don't believe in God - at least not the God as described by the majority of theists - but I DO believe that there is plenty of evidence that we human beings can summon up powers to help us in difficult times. I don't venture to guess whether these powers are within us or outside us, but I don't think it matters what their source is, they are there. And we can benefit from them.
Those who believe in God summon up these powers by calling upon God in prayer. Those who do not believe in God use other methods - meditation, visualization, altered states of consciousness, whatever. They work for the believer, and because they sometimes work, the believer's faith is strengthened, because the prayers are answered. They work just as well for the non-believer.
I guess what I am saying is that one doesn't have to give up one's access to these powers just because one has given up belief in God. They are still there. I use them, all the time. Whereas I used to address a prayer: "Dear God, please..." I now simply place myself in a meditative state, relax, and put my feelings into words (sometimes only mentally) addressed to whoever or whatever may be listening. Even if it is only some part of my inner self, something happens to bring me peace, self-assurance, confidence. My fears are calmed, my sorrows are soothed, and I am reminded of my unassailable right to my tiny place in the universe, and that somehow everything will turn out all right in the end, or, if it doesn't, it won't really matter.”
[LMAO – a prayer “addressed to whoever or whatever may be listening."]
A prayer? LOL! A plea to an invisible being or whatever may be out there, coming from an atheist, yeah right.

We see the truth, It is Discovery Institute creationist, founded and despite a massive media blitz, he just can't figure out why the only members are the D. I. shills. And again, that would come under the heading of having a clue, as what to an atheist is.

How's that list of atheist names coming?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3060 Oct 13, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Why (as an Atheist) I Pray
“I identify as an atheist. Empirically, I’ve never seen any evidence supporting the existence of a deity, and rationally, none of the major religious belief systems make any sense to me. Cosmologically, I guess I would call myself a meta-evolutionist (I believe both in Darwinian evolution, and in the evolution of the evolutionary process).”
[Poster's insert: more reference to science which relates to atheism....]
continued:
Still, I respect many religious traditions and practices. I respect religious tradition because I like tradition in general, and religious ones are often the only ones available in any particular life area. As for religious practices, I take an eclectic approach. I like pork chops and bacon too much to ever be kosher, but I don’t mind (and sometimes enjoy) reciting Jewish prayers before meals (my wife and daughter are Jewish).
One religious practice I embrace wholeheartedly is prayer. Prayer can mean many different things, but I’m talking about the “personal dialogue with God” variety.
So how does this fit in with atheism? If I pray, who or what am I praying to? Do I just have a massive tolerance for cognitive dissonance? Or have I bought into the sloppy pseudoscience behind “remote healing”?
No and no. My practice of prayer is consistent with my rational, atheistic belief system. Nothing spooky or supernatural is required to make an argument for why prayer is effective (for me).
I’ll try to explain.
[Poster's insert: He goes on to explain, then concludes with this in his closing paragraph:]
“... there’s no need to give up religious practice, just because you’ve decided that the idea of a Creator doesn’t make sense. You can still go to church/temple/mosque, you can still pray (both traditional prayer and the “personal prayer” I talked about in this post if that’s part of your tradition). I realize, living in the Bay Area, that I’m in a bubble of enlightened religious thinking, where many reformed communities are completely tolerant of naturalistic philosophies like Darwinism. Richard Dawkins criticizes these types as “religious moderates,” trying to find middle ground where none exists. Maybe that’s a valid criticism in some cases, but there’s more to religion than belief (especially in the case of Judaism). There are powerful psychological factors involved in community, ritual, and practice that bind us to each other, and help us in our own personal growth, and we don’t have to believe in God to take advantage of these things.”
http://jdmoyer.com/2011/07/25/why-as-an-athei...
“... just because you’ve decided that the idea of a Creator doesn’t make sense. You can still go to church/temple/mosque, you can still pray (both traditional prayer and the “personal prayer” I talked about in this post.”
Want to know why your posts are laughable? Think back to every atheist you have encountered on topix, and I will do the same. Have you even once came across one, who had the mind set of these idiots you are claiming to be atheist. I will tell you, the answer is no. Among ourselves, we have many differences, but the very few similarities disappear with these groups you are referring to. The similarities are how we tell that we are and they are not, atheist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 9 min Rosa_Winkel 228,566
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Reason Personified 700
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 4 hr Dally Mama 5,587
Heaven 6 hr susanblange 2
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 7 hr Patrick 7
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 8 hr Patrick 152
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 16 hr Patrick 140

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE