Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments
2,881 - 2,900 of 11,175 Comments Last updated Jan 18, 2014

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

“The First Atheist Church of True Science”(“FACTS”)- more info here:

A key religious ritual at FACTS is taking a pause at each new moon. During that interval, we reflect on both the majesty of the universe, and the direction of our lives.

The moon has been chosen to remind us of how similar is every human ... each person seeing the same lunar phase no matter where on Earth ree is situated. The "new moon" has been chosen because of its symbolic nature: reminding us that new experiences always arise as old ones conclude. And the night sky has been chosen because of the perspective it provides, reminding us of our place within the incredible expanse of both distance and time.
http://www.factschurch.com/

LMAO!!!

You can click here for their “sermons”:
http://www.factschurch.com/facts_sermons.html

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Looks like Derek is spamming away again...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Looks like "Just Think" is as much of a dim wit as ever, lol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you think that you need us in your faith and religion boat? Do you want to be like us? If so you are still going at it the wrong way, but keep trying, you may get it right after a few thousand or so more tries.
Christians DON'T need you, lol. Who said we did?

But your fellow atheists have organized churches to gather together and practice their false faith and religion. They are drifting along off course in their own "religion boat".

“Since its inception, the First Church of Atheism has amassed quite a following around the world. FCA ministers come from all walks of life. They are every race, ethnicity, age, and creed. The one thing binding every FCA minister is his or her belief in science, reason, and reality.”

“The First Church of Atheism wants you to pursue and cherish your realistic beliefs without interference from any outside agency, including government or church authority. We provide our service for free, as we believe it is every atheists right to perform these clergy functions."

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, so here's the rest of your tripe.

As I said, theism is only a category. There are lots of different subcategories and religions under the umbrella of theism -- Hindus, Catholics, Orthodox Catholics, Protestants, Baptists, Mormons, etc.

There are also a lot of different subcategories of atheism -- Buddhists, Jainists, Humanists, etc.

As a category theism itself is NOT a belief in any specific thing. It just specifies those people who hold a belief in one or more deities.

As a category atheism itself is NOT a belief in any specific thing. It just specifies those people who do NOT hold a belief in one or more deities.

Anything else you try to add to that is just so much BS.
"Atheism, as defined by the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy, and other philosophy reference works, is the denial of the existence of God.[2][3][4]"

Wikipedia:

"Denial
Denial (also called abnegation) is a defense mechanism postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence.[1] The subject may use:

simple denial: deny the reality of the unpleasant fact altogether"

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

derek4 wrote:
The Religion of Atheism

Some Atheists recoil at the claim that Atheism is a religion and consider the notion absurd. Many would consider Atheism the antithesis of religion. Maybe you’ve heard such remarks as,“If Atheism is a religion then bald is a hair color.”

[Poster's insert: Yes, we have – Hedonist took credit for that without mentioning he grabbed it from a “mold” and without attributing it to the real author.]

It is a false analogy that asserts all religions are defined by a belief in a deity which we know is inaccurate because of such religions as Unitarian Universalists, Taoists or Buddhists.

Nonetheless, how is it that we can purchase ‘The Good Book: A Humanist Bible’ that includes their own version of the ‘Ten Commandments’ or attend The First Church of Atheism with services provided by an ordained Atheist minister but we can’t buy a box of hair color called bald?

[LOL]

continued:

The ‘New Atheism’ is placing faith in the belief that there is no God. Their belief system is based on science and philosophy. The ‘New Atheists’ use this belief system to interpret and relate to the world around them, defining their worldview as an overall perspective of life and the universe.

Atheists are known to have their own prophets like Charles Darwin, Friedrich Nietzsche, Ludwig Feuerbach, Vladimir Lenin, Karl Marx, or Voltaire.

They have their own preachers such as Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Daniel Dennett among others. Through their work these men are aggressively seeking to convert others.

Atheists have orthodoxy as they believe everything is unintentional, uninspired happenstance
via evolution. They base their beliefs on the ever changing developments of scientific scrutiny.

[Yes, atheism is a religion...]
continued:
http://stevedeace.com/news/the-religion-of-at...

“The ‘New Atheism’ is placing faith in the belief that there is no God. Their belief system is based on science and philosophy.”

[And they are very devout to their religion.]
Perfect!

And yes!
[Poster's insert: Yes, we have – Hedonist took credit for that without mentioning he grabbed it from a “mold” and without attributing it to the real author.]

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

To Khatru:

I just realized how selfish it was of me earlier today when I only, posted about atheist places of worship in America. I don't want you to feel left out, so I found an atheist place of worship for you in the UK.

If it's too far from your home, maybe you can at least read atheist Alain de Botton's newly released book called "Religion For Atheists.” Its referenced below.

Please read here:

Atheist Temple: Nonbelievers To Get Place Of 'Worship' In UK

(from January, 2012)

Atheists have long criticised devout followers of faith. But now it seems Atheism is stealing from that very religious tradition by erecting a temple of worship.

Author Alain de Botton announced plans to build an Atheist temple in the U.K., reports DeZeen magazine.

A collaboration with Tom Greenall Architects, the structure will be built in the City of London.

Dedicated to the idea of perspective, the black tower will scale 46 meters (150 ft), with each centimeter honoring earth's age of 4.6 billion years, notes Wired.

But a place of worship isn't the only attribute from organized religion that Atheists can benefit from, says de Botton. In his newly released book "Religion For Atheists," the author points to design, art and community to inspire and attract a following.

Though de Botton has yet to announce a final date for opening the temple, he hopes to create a network of such buildings across the U.K., according to BLOUIN ARTINFO.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25/athe...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Health Benefit of Believing God Cares About You
Costs of this belief:

[1] Thousands of hours lost reading ancient goatherd fairy tales, muttering at the ceiling fan, and listening to mind numbing sermons every Sunday morning.

[2] Tens of thousands of dollars given to the parasitic priestly class.

[3] The opportunity cost of choosing a primitive and infantilizing system and missing the fullest and most authentic existence possible.

[4] Self-loathing resulting from a misanthropic philosophy that sneeringly describes man in demeaning terms ("the flesh") and requires him to debase himself worshiping.

[5] An inferior intellectual system that despises science and erudition.

[6] An inferior ethic that defines love in terms of torture and crucifixion, and a pardon from eternal torment by an infinitely evil devil.

[7] The spiritual emptiness that derives from stripping this incredibly amazing universe of its grandeur and mystery, and sneeringly describing it as "the world," fit for apocalyptic destruction.

You overpaid for you brief life extension.

Did you give the priests your children as well?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Why do atheists hate God?
We don't. Nor do we hate Spiderman.

What we hate is your church, and the damage it does to us all. I just listed the personal costs of faith in the Christian god American style.

Your religion is also despised for its institutionalized brutality and ignorance. It has always held man back, keeping him in a degraded and primitive state.

It teaches man to lie to himself, and then his children. It has given us centuries of pain and death in the form of inquisitions, crusades, and witch burnings.

It has marginalized and scapegoated gays and atheists, making their lives more dangerous and difficult.

It's antisemitism is famous from Luther to Hitler.

It's misogyny persists today in the assault on women's reproductive freedom and inferior social status.

Wherever your bible is taught, self-loathing, shame, sexual constipation, blame and guilt follows.

This list just goes on and on and on.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Why do atheists hate God?
We don't. What we hate is your sickening religion:

MINISTERS WONDER HOW I CAN BE WICKED ENOUGH TO ATTACK THE BIBLE.
Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-1899)

"I will tell them:

"This book, the Bible, has persecuted, even unto death, the wisest and the best. This book stayed and stopped the onward movement of the human race. This book poisoned the fountains of learning and misdirected the energies of man.

"This book is the enemy of freedom, the support of slavery. This book sowed the seeds of hatred in families and nations, fed the flames of war, and impoverished the world.

"This book is the breastwork of kings and tyrants -- the enslaver of women and children. This book has corrupted parliaments and courts. This book has made colleges and universities the teachers of error and the haters of science.

"This book has filled Christendom with hateful, cruel, ignorant and warring sects. This book taught men to kill their fellows for religion's sake.

"This book funded the Inquisition, invented the instruments of torture, built the dungeons in which the good and loving languished, forged the chains that rusted in their flesh, erected the scaffolds whereon they died. This book piled fagots about the feet of the just. This book drove reason from the minds of millions and filled the asylums with the insane.

"This book has caused fathers and mothers to shed the blood of their babes. This book was the auction block on which the slave-mother stood when she was sold from her child. This book filled the sails of the slave-trader and made merchandise of human flesh.

"This book lighted the fires that burned "witches" and "wizards."

"This book filled the darkness with ghouls and ghosts, and the bodies of men and women with devils. This book polluted the souls of men with the infamous dogma of eternal pain. This book made credulity the greatest of virtues, and investigation the greatest of crimes.

"This book filled nations with hermits, monks and nuns -- with the pious and the useless. This book placed the ignorant and unclean saint above the philosopher and philanthropist.

"This book taught man to despise the joys of this life, that he might be happy in another -- to waste this world for the sake of the next.

"I attack this book because it is the enemy of human liberty -- the greatest obstruction across the highway of human progress.

"Let me ask the ministers one question: How can you be wicked enough to defend this book?"

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

derek4 wrote:
“A person's religion is the sum total of his beliefs about God and the supernatural.
RELIGION IS FEAR AND SLAVERY

What, after all, is religion?

It is fear.

Fear builds the altar and offers the sacrifice.

Fear erects the cathedral and bows the head of man in worship.

Fear bends the knees and utters the prayer.

Fear pretends to love.

Religion teaches the slave-virtues -- obedience, humility, self-denial, forgiveness, non-resistance.

Lips, religious and fearful, tremblingly repeat this passage: "Though he slay me, yet will I trust him." This is the abyss of degradation.

Religion does not teach self-reliance, independence, manliness, courage, self-defence. Religion makes God a master and man his serf. The master cannot be great enough to make slavery sweet.

-- Robert Green Ingersoll

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Atheism is the religion whose belief about God is that there is no God.
You really want to drag the absence of theistic superstition down into the muck with religion, don't you? We will not allow you to befoul atheism any more than we will allow you to do the same to science. Every time you try is another opportunity to compare your system to ours.

Rational skepticism is the rejection of the sterile claims of supernaturalism - superstition and magical thinking. Atheism is the result of this rejection, and is the first step to enlightenment. It paved the way for the only philosophy of the world that has ever made a improvement in the human condition: secular humanism, which gave the world systems such as science and the personal freedoms guaranteed by the modern democratic state.

Your religion's legacy, by contrast, includes the flat earth and totalitarian theocracies.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

derek4 wrote:
"Some Atheists, for their own political reasons, assert that Atheism is not a religion but instead is the total absence of religion. This allows them to spread their Atheistic beliefs freely in societies which insist on "separation of church and state.
Don't be such a pussy. You people have had the only voice for millennia. We have only just recently gotten ours, and you're sniveling like a child about it. You still have the whole world except our science classrooms in which to make your case. Make it.

But you'd better hurry. You're hemorrhaging social clout at an alarming rate.
derek4 wrote:
"If Atheism is a religion, then it must be subject to the same legal restrictions imposed by governments on all other religions. In particular, in the United States, the teaching of Atheism must be prohibited wherever the teaching of Christianity is prohibited. But where is Atheism being taught? Atheism is being taught, by default, in all places where other religions cannot be taught, particularly in the public schools.”
American schools don't teach atheism. They teach academic subjects like science and history, as well as the arts, health, citizenship skills, home economics, and physical education.
derek4 wrote:
If we are not created by God, then there might as well be no God, for all the difference He makes.
Agreed. Others seem to be agreeing with you as well increasingly frequently.
derek4 wrote:
Object again if you wish, and my reply the second time will be to ignore you or copy and paste all the above right back to you, since there is nothing you can say that will change the facts as I've presented them, lol.
Atta boy! Post away. Make your best case in the marketplace of ideas while we will make ours, and may the best philosophy prevail.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Langoliers wrote:
Are you the woman that keeps calling the highway patrol and telling them to move the deer crossing signs because too many deer are getting killed trying to cross where the signs are currently?
LOL. Nut Job.
Are you the one that objects to the "Slow Children At Play" signs?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2GOp00WR4XM/TMdszub...

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Just Think wrote:
What is it with religious people and their weird need to have everyone assigned to some religion - so much so that now they claim that people who don't even believe in god have formed their own religion?
Until today, I had always assumed that the "atheism is a religion" meme was developed and piped into the echo chamber to demean atheism with a slur.

But Derek answered the question in a way that I hadn't considered before when he posted this, which was apparently also bubbling through the echo chamber from which all of his prepared apologetics arise:
derek4 wrote:
"When the State prohibits free discussion of God in the classroom, that is establishing the religion of Atheism. Wherever the State permits Atheistic ideas to be spread but prohibits Theistic ideas, that is establishing the religion of Atheism.

Therefore I urge you to understand clearly in your mind that Atheism is a religion, just as Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are religions. And any restrictions placed on Christianity, Judaism, or Islam must also be placed on Atheism. Atheism must not be allowed to slip through its little loophole any longer, by pretending it is not a religion.”
It's a political movement. They apparently believe that if they can equate secular government with atheism, and both with religion, that they can argue that teaching science means that religion should be taught in schools.

I have recently argued in this thread [ http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... ] about how anti-American Christianity is. It really resents most of the founding principles in the US Constitution.

I will be adding this meme - equating atheism with theism, and skepticism with faith - to that argument in the future.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

derek4 wrote:
It is a false analogy that asserts all religions are defined by a belief in a deity
It's not an analogy. It's a definition. And it comes from Langoliers, who posted this definition of religion :

"the service and worship of God or the supernatural"

I have accepted that and used it myself since.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
To Khatru:
I just realized how selfish it was of me earlier today when I only, posted about atheist places of worship in America. I don't want you to feel left out, so I found an atheist place of worship for you in the UK.
If it's too far from your home, maybe you can at least read atheist Alain de Botton's newly released book called "Religion For Atheists.” Its referenced below.
Please read here:
Atheist Temple: Nonbelievers To Get Place Of 'Worship' In UK
(from January, 2012)
Atheists have long criticised devout followers of faith. But now it seems Atheism is stealing from that very religious tradition by erecting a temple of worship.
Author Alain de Botton announced plans to build an Atheist temple in the U.K., reports DeZeen magazine.
A collaboration with Tom Greenall Architects, the structure will be built in the City of London.
Dedicated to the idea of perspective, the black tower will scale 46 meters (150 ft), with each centimeter honoring earth's age of 4.6 billion years, notes Wired.
But a place of worship isn't the only attribute from organized religion that Atheists can benefit from, says de Botton. In his newly released book "Religion For Atheists," the author points to design, art and community to inspire and attract a following.
Though de Botton has yet to announce a final date for opening the temple, he hopes to create a network of such buildings across the U.K., according to BLOUIN ARTINFO.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25/athe...
Atheists don't need a temple in pretty much the same way as someone who doesn't play tennis doesn't need a tennis court.

Anyway, there are far more interesting places in London to visit - places like the Science Museum, the British Museum and the Natural History Museum.

There you can revel in the glories of nature and human achievement.

No unproveable cosmic mega-being required.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Not to mention violence for leaving the religion.
The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if what you said is true, it is a sad fact that the only reason you have such a high percentage is because your cults use child indoctrination, and brainwashing.
That's something to be proud of.
It's funny you use the kool-aid anology.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists don't need a temple in pretty much the same way as someone who doesn't play tennis doesn't need a tennis court.
Anyway, there are far more interesting places in London to visit - places like the Science Museum, the British Museum and the Natural History Museum.
There you can revel in the glories of nature and human achievement.
No unproveable cosmic mega-being required.
Atheists don't need a temple? Apparently many of them do, or they wouldn't have them, and they wouldn't be building more – even in the UK. I bet they accept dollars for donations too, even if those dollars say “In God we trust” on them, lol.

Oh, well, if you don't feel you need to go to your atheist temple to share your religion with fellow atheists, you can always do like I suggested and read Alain de Botton's newly released book called "Religion For Atheists.” Maybe there is something useful in it for you.

Oh, you would rather go to the museums than your temple?

I bet you like the science museum best of all, considering the close ties between science and atheism.

Oh, I know – so many atheist posters in here have said that atheism and science is not connected, but I know better. Just take a look at this atheist webpage, for example: http://www.sacskeptics.org/

When it comes up, look over on the left at all the links to science resources:“Science/Skeptical Podcasts”,“Science/Skeptical Websites”,“This week in science”, etc. Sure is a lot of interest in science!!!

And, if you click their “About” tab, you will see their “mission statement”, which includes this language:“The mission of the Sacramento Area Skeptics’(SAS) is to serve the community of the Sacramento area by promoting the application of critical thinking to problems and controversies that exist in our society. This includes such diverse topics as alternative medicine, pseudoscience, creationism in the science classroom ...”[Sure looks like a lot of interest in science and connection to science to me.]

Now, Khatru, I know you don't want to “plough” through all that, but maybe some of our other atheist readers who have close science ties will find the information helpful, should they want to join the organization instead of the atheist religious organizations / churches that I posted earlier today.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

This is a hoot:

The Atheist Hymnal:

http://www.feelmyfaith.com/2010/08/atheist-hy...

LMAO

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 4 min Carchar king 20
Our world came from nothing? 8 min Carchar king 250
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 36 min Gillette 839
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Buck Crick 224,543
What does "Atheism" mean? 6 hr Buck Crick 37
Introducing The Universal Religion 10 hr nanoanomaly 735
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 18 hr Patrick 395
•••
•••