Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 137)

Showing posts 2,721 - 2,740 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
No, bald is the absence of hair just like atheist is absence of truth.
Actually bald is the absence of hair just like atheism is the absence of theism. Or to put it in words you might be able to understand - atheism is the absence of BELIEF in deities.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion is faith, you believe with out proof that there is no God that is faith / Religion
Actually I just don't believe YOU when you make your unsubstantiated claims about gods.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe with out proof is faith.
Actually belief without proof is what you do. I am waiting on some sort of evidence for you claim that your (or any other) god exists.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a Preacher of the first church of Apes R Us. It's a small congregation, really small there are 4 time the number of Gays then there are Atheist. The Theist church has about 49 time more people then your church but stay with it you might hold you own and stop losing you congregation.
2.3%. Wow that's pretty low!
On Second thought give it up, you'll never amount to anything.
Thank you for once again showing everybody the hate that is so common among Christians. You are a fine example of what it means to be a Christian.

(And you are wrong about your numbers - " http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1618445... ;)

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
I mentioned her once you have drooled I've her like two dozen times maybe? Creepy. Like rapist creepy I hope you keep your hands to yourself at the nursing homes.
But since you are so in love with my 82 year old grandma this I can tell you about her. She would look at your behavior on here and how you take delight in attacking others and she would tell you that you know nothing about being a Christian and then she would quote you 20 scriptures showing how you are anything but a Christian and how her theist grandson acts by far more Christian than you.
<quoted text>
If I recall, she's a Baptist, right? I wonder how proud she would be of your godlessness, lol? I'm sure she prays for you.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

He has a granny fetish it seems. Rather creepy.
Saint Augustine wrote:
<quoted text>
He wants grams?
Not grams!!!!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you checked the news on what the majority of AMERICANS accept?
From CBS NEWS, February 11, 2009:
Poll: Majority Reject Evolution
Most Americans do not accept the theory of evolution. Instead, 51 percent of Americans say God created humans in their present form, and another three in 10 say that while humans evolved, God guided the process. Just 15 percent say humans evolved, and that God was not involved.
These views are similar to what they were in November 2004 shortly after the presidential election.
http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500160_162-965223...
Also, it was YOU who once posted this comment,“You should know that being in the minority doesn't mean you're wrong. What percentage of the population did Noah and his family make up?“
And I feel sure you remember that the answer you were given is 100%, lol.
Noah is a poorly written fable, grow up.

It's a good thing science is not based on the views of the non-science literate general public.

However, Baylor University, the largest Baptist University in the world and arguably one of the finest Christian Schools in America has stated: "Evolution, a foundational principle of modern biology, is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence and is accepted by the vast majority of scientists. Because it is fundamental to the understanding of modern biology, the faculty in the Biology Department at Baylor University, Waco, TX, teach evolution throughout the biology curriculum. We are in accordance with the American Association for Advancement of Science's statement on evolution. We are a science department, so we do not teach alternative hypotheses or philosophically deduced theories that cannot be tested rigorously."

Pope John Paul Paul II told the Pontifical Academy of Sciences in 1996 that “new scientific knowledge has led us to the conclusion that the theory of evolution is no longer a mere hypothesis.”

The Church of England, 2009:“Charles Darwin: 200 years from your birth, the Church of England owes you an apology for misunderstanding you and, by getting our first reaction wrong, encouraging others to misunderstand you still. We try to practise the old virtues of 'faith seeking understanding' and hope that makes some amends."

In the main atrium in Notre Dame’s new Jordan Hall of Science, there is a plaque that reads: "Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."

The illiterate few really have no say in the matter.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
No, bald is the absence of hair just like atheist is absence of truth. Religion is faith, you believe with out proof that there is no God that is faith / Religion
Athiest is a Religion.
You must believe with out proof that God does not exist.
The dictionary says the word Religion can be substituted for the word Faith.
So you are here Preaching your religion.
You are a Preacher of the first church of Apes R Us. It's a small congregation, really small there are 4 time the number of Gays then there are Atheist. The Theist church has about 49 time more people then your church but stay with it you might hold you own and stop losing you congregation.
Notice how they re-write dictionaries? Discredit stories on CBS NEWS, etc.?

Then they accuse Christians of dishonesty. They prove how their godlessness is full of lies and deceit, but they aren't even convincing deceivers.

Jokes!!!

LMAO

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Scientific Falsification

Falsification in science is loosely defined as publishing or reporting misleading facts associated with a study, research or experimentation.

Scientific falsification can be considered as:
Falsifying data
Falsifying evidence
Fabricating data
Fabricating evidence
Plagiarism

Falsifying data can be as simple as not accounting seriously the margin of error in a study or it can be as extreme as knowingly changing data to support the hypothesis.

Falsifying evidence is very rarely accidental and is usually done to support a hypothesis.

Fabricating data is literally making up data. Perhaps it is mentioning an event that did not occur or reports a population that was not used.

Fabricating evidence is also literal; the researcher makes up evidence that does not exist.

Plagiarism is also considered scientific falsification, if a part of the work reported is taken from another source without proper citation, the report or paper can be deemed as scientific falsification.

All of these key events are considered scientific falsification, either standing alone or combined. This misconduct is considered the ultimate misconduct in the research community. The offender is often stripped of his credentials and because of the tight knit nature of the scientific community even if the credentials are not stripped the researcher may never find work as a researcher again. It will impact the ability to secure funding in the future.
http://www.experiment-resources.com/scientifi...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Nosek on Truth, Science, and Academic Incentives
Brian Nosek

Brian Nosek of the University of Virginia talks with EconTalk host Russ Roberts about how incentives in academic life create a tension between truth-seeking and professional advancement. Nosek argues that these incentives create a subconscious bias toward making research decisions in favor of novel results that may not be true, particularly in empirical and experimental work in the social sciences. In the second half of the conversation, Nosek details some practical innovations occurring in the field of psychology, to replicate established results and to publicize unpublished results that are not sufficiently exciting to merit publication but that nevertheless advance understanding and knowledge. These include the Open Science Framework and PsychFileDrawer.

continued:
http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2012/09/nose...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Likelihood of False-Positive Results in High-Impact Journals Publishing Groundbreaking Research

A recent editorial in this journal has brought retracted science to the fore and provided the “retraction index” as a novel measure of frequency of such articles. In their analysis using this measure, the authors found that the probability of retraction of an article published in a higher-impact journal is greater than that published in a lower-impact journal. This is intriguing and in accordance with data previously published on a retraction tracking website ( http://pmretract.heroku.com ). Here, we would like to point out that apart from various reasons outlined in the editorial, including higher readership and scrutiny, simple Bayesian logic also predicts that the articles published in high-impact journals stand a higher chance of incorporating false-positive results and thereby are more likely to be retracted.

In our understanding of publishing practices, the highest echelon of scientific journals is likely to prioritize publication of extremely novel findings that contradict current thinking; incremental but substantive work that builds upon established facts is more likely to find its way toward respectable but less glamorous society journals.
http://iai.asm.org/content/80/3/1300

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Are you also looking for what church she attends? Effing creepy this one.

Don't be touching those old folks at the nursing home in their swimsuit area ok you freak?

Creepy creepy creepy.
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
If I recall, she's a Baptist, right? I wonder how proud she would be of your godlessness, lol? I'm sure she prays for you.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Don't be touching those old folks at the nursing home in their swimsuit area ok you freak?
Creepy creepy creepy.
<quoted text>
That is creepy.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

What I wrote: "Scientists NEVER have 'faith' in science. Scientists have varying levels of confidence in the results of science in direct proportion to the preponderance of evidence available."

The reply:
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you really think before you wrote this (?):“Scientists NEVER have "faith" in science.”
So they don't believe in their own field of work and knowledge? So they know, as I do, that science and / or the “evidence” is not worthy of faith, confidence, or trust, yet they continue to participate in something which isn't credible? I see. If they have been reading the news stories I've seen, it's little wonder they see it as deeply flawed, therefore not worthy of confidence. Maybe they are catching on.
You apparently have a reading comprehension problem.

And on a separate note --
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have expressed extravagant faith in science. You have expressed your faith that the peer review system catches the errors, in spite of the hundreds, if not thousands of scientific articles which say it does not. I've posted maybe a hundred on this very forum which prove my point.
"There are many hypotheses in science which are wrong. That's perfectly all right; they're the aperture to finding out what's right. Science is a self-correcting process. To be accepted, new ideas must survive the most rigorous standards of evidence and scrutiny." ~ Carl Sagan

You are just pointing out the science that doesn't survive these standards of evidence and scrutiny. BFD. That is exactly why science is NOT a "faith" based proposition but is instead a question of levels of confidence.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you understand the English language? It would appear not.
Religion is not a myth you Dolt!
I often wonder why people believe that nature builds things up when people like you are living proof that humans are slipping further from the perfect that was Adam.
There was a time when people, as their religion, worshipped Zeus and Mars and Athena and so on.

That was their religion.

According to you, religion is not a myth.

So, according to you, the ancient gods Zeus and Mars and Athena are real?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
No, bald is the absence of hair just like atheist is absence of truth. Religion is faith, you believe with out proof that there is no God that is faith / Religion
Athiest is a Religion.
So, again - according to you - anyone who believes without proof that there are no Unicorns has formed their own little religion (well, a pretty big one in this case...)

Where's the nearest "there aren't any Unicorns" church?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since I don't know or respect you, I have no interest in what you attribute anything to, much less your opinion of me, lol.
Thanks for confirming to everyone that you are indeed the “laughable atheist” when you dismiss news stories from credible news sources and scientific journals about fraudulent science as “false claims”. At least you wasted no time demonstrating your zero credibility.
When every atheist who has posted in any forum has expressed support and acceptance of the theory of evolution, the ties between the “theory”(science) and atheism are obvious. To deny the correlation is the height of dishonest absurdity – hence:“laughable atheist”(you).
Yes, I imagine you do indeed feel insecure in your false beliefs. So I will leave you to whine in the corner with crackpot poster “it ain't necessarily so”. As he is well aware, I never read or answer his posts – I simply skip over them. I will show you the same courtesy.
You poor thing. I don't know if you are willfully ingnorant, or uneducated to the point of ignorance, but you are certainly very good at building strawmen. I did not dismiss news stories from credible news sources and scientific journals about fraudulent science as “false claims”. I said you made false claims.

Again, even if you could somehow demonstrate that atheism requires the acceptance of evolution(which you cannot), it would not make atheism wrong. Even if you could than somehow prove that evolution is untrue (which you cannot), it would not make any God real. It is obvious that you cannot prove that there is a God, so you build a strawman, and in this case, a strawman that is not even relavent to the discussion.

I don't think you should talk about honesty or credibility. You certainly lack either yourself. Lastly, the fact that you cannot deal with another poster, so you ignore his or her posts, confirms your weak, ineffective position. I have read some of the responses from “it ain't necessarily so”. I can understand why you fear to respond to him/her. He/she has certainly put you on a shelf.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Athiest is a Religion.
100% of babies born to theist parents, are atheist.

100%.... we didn't lose them, we never had them, they are atheist at birth. That means without theism, it does not mean non believer, even those infants are non believers too.

Being the children of theist, they will be indoctrinated to whatever invisible magic friend mind fantasy their parents play at.

There are many thousands of theistic bents, that the theist parents could be indoctrinating their children into. You go ahead and claim them all for the loon side, the worship of any and every god from Achelois to Zeus, from Kali to Beelzebub, they all make up that ever shrinking percentage, they are the vanishing theist.

Once upon a time, all these gods were believed in, and now it's only a tiny percentage, that are left, with even a few believers. >>> godchecker.com

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Athiest is a Religion.
I have read some of your posts....
Not very impressive. You apppear to be a less intelligent version of Derek(not that he would be considered intelligent by any standard). Is every believer on this thread so incompetent that they can't even hold up their end of a conversation without resorting to purposely misdefining words, and demanding proof that something does NOT exist? I see you have added an appeal to the majority, which of course is a logical fallacy.

If this is the best that the theist world has to offer, atheism should be universally accepted in no time.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Rick Santorum: Evolution Is Used To Promote Atheism

“One of the issues that I always got hammered for was the issue of evolution. I was the guy who actually put words in the No Child Left Behind Act, which was our big education bill that passed back in 2001 or 2002 that reformed the education system. Well, I had an amendment, it’s a great story, I had this language, because what’s taught in our school system as a result of liberal academia, is evolution is an incontrovertible fact. There is no suspicion of it. It is decided science that cannot be questioned. There cannot be any doubts about it. If you have any questions or doubts, it’s trying to inject religion into the science classroom. So it is above reproach.

I obviously don’t feel that way. I think there are a lot of problems with the theory of evolution, and do believe that it is used to promote to a worldview that is anti-theist, that is atheist.”
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/rick-...

“...there are a lot of problems with the theory of evolution, and [I] do believe that it is used to promote to a worldview that is anti-theist, that is atheist.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Scientific Fraud, Accountability and Prison: The Curious Saga of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Two years ago, Judy Mikovits and the Whittemore-Peterson Institute for Neuro-Immune Disease were triumphant. Mikovits had just published a report inScience pointing to a retrovirus called XMRV as the possible cause of chronic fatigue syndrome, a little-understood illness characterized by debilitating flu-like symptoms that worsen with exertion. A wealthy woman whose daughter has the disease had started the institute in 2007 to study CFS, fibromyalgia, and Gulf War illness—and it wasn’t long before its researchers appeared to have shown they could succeed where two decades of government-led research had produced little.

Best of all for many CFS patients, the work seemed to offer undeniable proof of what they had long hoped to establish: that their disease has a physiological cause, not a psychological one.

But as of mid-November, the XMRV retrovirus research had been discredited and was suspected of being fraudulent; Mikovits sat clad in a blue jumpsuit in a California jail, accused of stealing lab notebooks and computer files from her former employer; the research program at the Whittemore-Peterson Institute was in disarray; and CFS patients were as confused as ever about the source of their illness and how to treat it.
http://www.itsokaytobesmart.com/post/14582350...

[“... research had been discredited and was suspected of being fraudulent; Mikovits sat clad in a blue jumpsuit in a California jail...” LMAO]

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

An Unwelcome Discovery

Published: October 22, 2006

On a rainy afternoon in June, Eric Poehlman stood before a federal judge in the United States District Court in downtown Burlington, Vt. His sentencing hearing had dragged on for more than four hours, and Poehlman, dressed in a black suit, remained silent while the lawyers argued over the appropriate sentence for his transgressions. Now was his chance to speak. A year earlier, in the same courthouse, Poehlman pleaded guilty to lying on a federal grant application and admitted to fabricating more than a decade’s worth of scientific data on obesity, menopause and aging, much of it while conducting clinical research as a tenured faculty member at the University of Vermont. He presented fraudulent data in lectures and in published papers, and he used this data to obtain millions of dollars in federal grants from the National Institutes of Health — a crime subject to as many as five years in federal prison. Poehlman’s admission of guilt came after more than five years during which he denied the charges against him, lied under oath and tried to discredit his accusers. By the time Poehlman came clean, his case had grown into one of the most expansive cases of scientific fraud in U.S. history.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/22/magazine/22...

[“ He presented fraudulent data in lectures and in published papers, and he used this data to obtain millions of dollars in federal grants from the National Institutes of Health.”]

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
Creepy creepy creepy.
<quoted text>
What's goin' on with you & grannie, lol? Obviously, more than I first thought! Whew! Steamy!

Well, okey dokey - Ya'll have fun.

http://dspads.sitescout.netdna-cdn.com/4600/4...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,721 - 2,740 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min Richardfs 223,976
How anti-atheist stigma affects the mental heal... 3 hr NightSerf 1
A Really Good Thing 3 hr NightSerf 1
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr NightSerf 150
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 4 hr Richardfs 2
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Richardfs 830
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 hr Mikko 21,376
•••
•••