Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#2783 Oct 10, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Religion: "(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance". In spite of you lame attempt to make up your own definition.
2. Black is the ABSENCE OF COLORS OF LIGHT. Again it's basic science, which is obviously beyond you.
3. SECULARISM is the absence of religion, atheism is the absence of belief in deities.
4. The biological theory of evolution is our only working model of how biology on this planet functions. It is NOT taught as "fact" nor does it in any way insinuate that there is or is not any deities. Every major religion has accepted our current understanding of how biology works, it is just those that are to simple minded to understand basic science that have an irrational fear of biological evolution.
4. We are a multi-cultural country. If we allow a discussion of religion in our classrooms, we have to allow for ALL religions to be heard. Each family has their homes and their religious edifices to instruct their children on their particular faith.
To #1 on your list, you omitted and stopped short of definition #4 of religion in the Merriam-Webster link I provided for you:“According to Websters Dictionary online (2012), one of the definitions of ‘religion’ is:“a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith”: see #4, here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rel...

Further elaboration was included with my original post where the definition appeared.

There is no need for me to readdress your other points since they were already covered with my original post, which you didn't comprehend.

Enjoy your godless, atheistic religion, but stop trying to dictate your religion -“The Religion Of Atheism.”

As previously posted,“A person's religion is the sum total of his beliefs about God and the supernatural. Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are the three largest "monotheistic" religions, with belief one God, Creator Of The Universe. Some religions are "polytheistic," with belief in many gods, each with different functions. Atheism is the religion whose belief about God is that there is no God.”[link for quotes was provided in original post]

Location hidden

#2784 Oct 10, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
We are a multi-cultural country. If we allow a discussion of religion in our classrooms, we have to allow for ALL religions to be heard.
The religion of atheism as it relates to the flawed theory of evolution is already being taught in our classrooms. As you say, we are a multi-cultural country, but your beliefs are being dictated to our students.

Location hidden

#2785 Oct 10, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Nice to see the new report showing the huge spike in non religious people age 30 and younger here in the US. No wonder the religious crowd are freaking out!
Bible prophesy in the making confirms my faith, and the faith of your grandma.

Location hidden

#2786 Oct 10, 2012
There are several cases of scientific misconduct that has hit the media since the 1980’s that has shed some light on the reality of the situation, but to say that scientific misconduct has only really been around since the 1980’s would be false. It is estimated that some of the greatest minds in science have either fabricated results, or skewed data to support their theories.
Take a look at these examples:
"Isaac Newton may have adjusted calculations to fit observations."
"Gregor Mendel's results with pea plants were cleaner than what is observed experimentally, indicating that he might have changed the data."
"Robert Millikan, in a research paper describing the charge of an electron, failed to mention that he eliminated some data points."
[Citations: Columbia University]
If these folks would have published today their research may have been pulled and they would have lost all credibility.
http://www.experiment-resources.com/scientifi...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#2787 Oct 10, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
Athiest is a Religion. You must believe with out proof that God does not exist. Believe with out proof is faith. The dictionary says the word Religion can be substituted for the word Faith. So you are here Preaching your religion.
But you just provided us the definition of a religion at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... :

Langoliers wrote:
the service and worship of God or the supernatural
That's exactly the opposite of atheism.

You're not about to tell me that there is more than one definition of religion, are you?

Since: Mar 11

Florence, KY

#2788 Oct 10, 2012
Your fascination with my Grandmother is rather creepy I must say. Let's just say I think it would be best if you didn't volunteer or take a job at any nursing homes.
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bible prophesy in the making confirms my faith, and the faith of your grandma.

Fennario

#2789 Oct 10, 2012
derek4 wrote:
The sadness all belongs on your back for being a simpleton atheist who thinks there is anything profound to understand about your idiotic comment that atheists don't believe in a god. It's just typical of your brain dead thinking.
You recently posted about spirituality? Do you have any idea how small your heart is? How tiny your vision? Look at you in this thread, like a hissing cat with his back arched.

You are a wonderful example of what Christianity can do. Jesus is the potter, and you are the twisted shard.

Fennario

#2790 Oct 10, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Like I told you once before, science has done a beautiful job of cheapening itself with no help from me.
Science has forced you to call half of your bible allegory.

And rational ethics has forced you to call the other half "old law" or "metaphor."

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#2791 Oct 10, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Nice to see the new report showing the huge spike in non religious people age 30 and younger here in the US. No wonder the religious crowd are freaking out!
There are many people in America who, while believing in God and the teachings of Jesus, do not attend church or consider themselves to be "religious". They believe, but don't care to be involved in what they consider to be an artificial, judgmental setting.

Fennario

#2792 Oct 10, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did Allah answer your prayers too, as you probably rejoiced along with the terrorists over the godless killings? The God I serve did not answer the prayers of the terrorists. That's why I don't believe in false gods (i.e., Allah). To believe in a false god is to be godless. Actually the spelling should be Godless in this case.
9/11 was a theomachy. Their god kicked you god's ass. And your god's anointed representative on earth turned the other cheek with a crusade of his own.

"God's Anointed One Was Elected"
http://rense.com/general59/godse.htm

"George Bush:'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq'"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/oct/07/i...

"Europe cringes at Bush 'crusade' against terrorists"
http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/0919/p12s2-woeu...

We have a better way - a superior philosophy. Man is the closest thing to a god we know of. Once we have freed ourselves from the fetters of religious ignorance and bigotry, we can and will create a better world.

Location hidden

#2793 Oct 10, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Your fascination with my Grandmother is rather creepy I must say. Let's just say I think it would be best if you didn't volunteer or take a job at any nursing homes.
<quoted text>
I admire her, if she is what you say. If you didn't want her mentioned, you should have left her out of your posts.

And I already have volunteered in nursing homes. In fact, I do nursing home volunteer work on a regular basis at 2 homes. It's always a blessing to see how most of the aged hold closer to their faith as they near the end of life. There are a few elderly people in the homes who are very bitter against God. They sit alone in their rooms, mad at the world. They want nothing to do with anyone, and no one wants anything to do with them - that's the way you'll be yourself someday.

Fennario

#2794 Oct 10, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
"If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you."
(John 15:18-19)
It aint necessarily so wrote:
It's easy to be detestable. The trick is to be better than that.
Langoliers wrote:
I'm here to bash the shit out of atheist like you.
And I'm here to comment on that.

What happened to the "peace that passeth all understanding" that you were promised in Philippians 4:7? Are these the fruits of the spirit - love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control - that you were promised in Galatians 5:22-23?

"Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way! Thou art the Potter, I am the clay. Mold me and make me after Thy will, while I am waiting, yielded and still."

I think that we can do better than this.

Fennario

#2795 Oct 10, 2012
derek4 wrote:
the atheist position lines up with the definition of religion, regardless of their claims to the contrary.
My "ism" is rational skepticism. It's three principle fruits are science, atheism, and the rational ethics of secular humanism, which are the products of rational skepticism applied to the study of the natural, the supernatural, and daily life.

If that is a religion, it is the only one that has ever served man - the only one that has ever improved the human condition - and the only one worth preserving.

Fennario

#2796 Oct 10, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
The quote falls flat, just like you, and your target audience isn't interested in anything Mr. Barker has to say.
Sure we are. I just added Hedonist's contribution to my personal file of Barker quotes, which I will post now in your honor for the benefit of the rest of Hedonist's target audience that is interested:

"Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down. down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it." – Dan Barker

“To think that the ruler of the universe will run to my assistance and bend the laws of nature for me is the height of arrogance.”~ Dan Barker

“Theists claim that there is a god; atheists do not. Religionists often challenge atheists to prove that there is no god; but this misses the point. Atheists claim god is unproved, not disproved.”– Dan Barker

“If the Prodigal Son is a parable, and Adam and Eve are metaphors, then maybe God is just figure of speech.”– Dan Barker

”It turns out that the word atheism means much less than I had thought. It is merely the lack of theism.”– Dan Barker

”Basic atheism is not a belief. It is the lack of belief. There is a difference between believing there is no god and not believing there is a god -- both are atheistic, though popular usage has ignored the latter.”– Dan Barker

“You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?”– Dan Barker

”The very concept of sin comes from the bible. Christianity offers to solve a problem of its own making! Would you be thankful to a person who cut you with a knife in order to sell you a bandage?”– Dan Barker

”How happy can you be when you think every action and thought is being monitored by a judgmental ghost?”– Dan Barker

”You can cite a hundred references to show that the biblical God is a bloodthirsty tyrant, but if they can dig up two or three verses that say God is love, they will claim that *you* are taking things out of context!”– Dan Barker

“I do understand what love is, and that is one of the reasons I can never again be a Christian. Love is not self denial. Love is not blood and suffering. Love is not murdering your son to appease your own vanity. Love is not hatred or wrath, consigning billions of people to eternal torture because they have offended your ego or disobeyed your rules. Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being.”– Dan Barker

[CONT.]

Fennario

#2797 Oct 10, 2012
“I have something to say to the religionist who feels atheists never say anything positive: You are an intelligent human being. Your life is valuable for its own sake. You are not second-class in the universe, deriving meaning and purpose from some other mind. You are not inherently evil--you are inherently human, possessing the positive rational potential to help make this a world of morality, peace and joy. Trust yourself.”– Dan Barker

”There is joy in rationality, happiness in clarity of mind. Freethought is thrilling and fulfilling--absolutely essential to mental health and happiness.”– Dan Barker

”For my money, I'll bet on reason and humanistic kindness. Even if I am wrong I will have enjoyed my life, the existence of which is under little dispute.”– Dan Barker

“The longer I have been an atheist, the more amazed I am that I ever believed Christian notions.”– Dan Barker

“Freethinkers reject faith as a valid tool of knowledge. Faith is the opposite of reason because reason imposes very strict limits on what can be true, and faith has no limits at all. A Great Escape into faith is no retreat to safety. It is nothing less than surrender.”– Dan Barker

“There are many gods which Christians reject. I just believe in one less god then they do. The reasons that you might give for your atheism toward the Roman gods are likely the same reasons I would give for not believing in Jesus.”– Dan Barker

”It is wrong for a secular government to promote prayer. We think the National Day of Prayer is unconstitutional. What if the president declared a National Day of Cursing God because He failed us on September 11? Americans would say, "You've overstepped your authority." That's how we feel when he promotes prayer.”– Dan Barker

”Look at the posture of prayer. It is the posture of slavery, of bowing before your master. We are a proudly rebellious country. We kicked out the master. Now here comes the government telling us to humbly bow again.”– Dan Barker

”Not thinking critically, I assumed that the successful prayers were proof that God answers prayer while the failures were proof that there was something wrong with me.”– Dan Barker

”Prayer never changes the laws of nature.”– Dan Barker

“Faith is a cop-out. It is intellectual bankruptcy. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by faith, then you are conceding that it can't be taken on its own merits.”– Dan Barker

“Some theists, observing that all 'effects' need a cause, assert that God is a cause but not an effect. But no one has ever observed an uncaused cause and simply inventing one merely assumes what the argument wishes to prove.”– Dan Barker

“Atheists claim god is unproved, not disproved.”– Dan Barker

“In any argument, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim. If a person claims to have invented an antigravity device, it is not incumbent on others to prove that no such thing exists. The believer must make a case. Everyone else is justified in refusing to believe until evidence is produced and substantiated.”– Dan Barker

Fennario

#2798 Oct 10, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
and the point is?
The point is that your god is dying in the light of reason. He wasn't crucified. He was mortally wounded in the Garden and has been dying ever since he peeked over the edge of his cloud at Adam and Eve eating from the tree of knowledge, fell to earth, and was impaled by the largest and sharpest branch on that tree.

Did you know that Gehenna was a trash heap? When your god is done twitching, he will be added to the trash heap of forgotten and unloved gods with Odin and Zeus like so much refuse from man's dark past. Nobody alive at that time will mourn him any more than they do Gilgamesh or Marduk today.

Fennario

#2799 Oct 10, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Atheism is a religion which places it's faith in science instead of God (or "gods").
http://nirmukta.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/1... [cartoon]

Fennario

#2800 Oct 10, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Go have a cup of coffee, then sit down....place your hands on your forehead and massage it. Maybe that will help stimulate you so that you can think of something new to post instead of the garden variety rhetoric you always write, lmao.
Seriously? Most of what you do is cut-and-paste the same tired prepared apologetics. The rest of your posts are effete insults.

Fennario

#2801 Oct 10, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
1. Religion: "(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance". In spite of you lame attempt to make up your own definition.
Nice. You obviously had the exact same idea when you saw that definition: this will make a fine snack to feed repeatedly to Christian lexical prescriptionists.

Here's another for your files:

"faith - strong belief in God"
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/amer...

Hey - it's in the dictionary!

Fennario

#2802 Oct 10, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Atheists trust in science and believe the theory of evolution is fact. Point to one who doesn't.
Me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 51 min Patrick 22,545
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 57 min CunningLinguist 228,045
Noah's flood real (Oct '12) 1 hr Patrick 4,516
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Patrick 527
Here's a place for Patrick's off-topic articles 1 hr Thinking 2
Indiana Governor Mike Pence Stands Up to Atheis... 1 hr Liam R 17
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 1 hr BeHereNow 365
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••