Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 130)

Showing posts 2,581 - 2,600 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know a Stalin, nor did I know Hitler. I do know that Hitler's history, was written, before you Christains got embarrassed about him, being one of your number. Adolph Hitler was a bonafide Christain.
"I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so" -- Adolf Hitler
Card-carrying even.

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
No – nothing's changed – you're as wrong the second time as the first. This was already addressed. I provide links for quotes, and you can explain any grievance you may have to the publishers of the web pages.
You know, I never worry too much about you, because if you're ever in an accident, the worst that can happen is you might fracture an arm or leg, but a Mac truck couldn't dent your head, lol.
The anger of Christian dishonesty.

Let's recap -- again.(Oooo. An em dash.)

The poster posted a partial sentence from Darwin as a complete sentence that seems to show Darwin doubting his theory:

“Often a cold shudder has run through me, and I have asked myself whether I may have not devoted myself to a fantasy.”

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

In truth, the partial sentence comes from a paragraph in which Darwin argues that his theory is a "morally" required conclusion of anyone seeking the truth:
Darwin wrote:
<quoted text> You seemed to have worked admirably on the species question; there could not have been a better plan than reading up on the opposite side. I rejoice profoundly that you intend admitting the doctrine of modification in your new edition;* nothing, I am convinced, could be more important for its success. I honour you most sincerely. To have maintained in the position of a master, one side of a question for thirty years, and then deliberately give it up, is a fact to which I much doubt whether the records of science offer a parallel. For myself, also, I rejoice profoundly; for, thinking of so many cases of men pursuing an illusion for years, often and often a cold shudder has run through me, and I have asked myself whether I may not have devoted my life to a phantasy. Now I look at it as morally impossible that investigators of truth, like you and Hooker, can be wholly wrong, and therefore I rest in peace. Thank you for criticisms, which, if there be a second edition, I will attend to. I have been thinking that if I am much execrated as an atheist, etc., whether the admission of the doctrine of natural selection could injure your works; but I hope and think not, for as far as I can remember, the virulence of bigotry is expended on the first offender, and those who adopt his views are only pitied as deluded, by the wise and cheerful bigots.
Darwin, Charles, Darwin, Francis, ed., Selected Letters on Evolution and Origin of Species (Courier Dover Publications' 1958 edition), pp. 224-5.

Now the poster seems to argue that Google's failure to filter Christian dishonesty means that dishonesty is legit.

What a hoot.

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not relationship at all, dummy....
So it's a diversion from your ignorance.

Got it.

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me know when you're ready to do your part posting news stories that expose corrupt scientists, since you're concerned about honesty. Think of all those patients out there dying from polluted drugs that could benefit from your concerned intervention.
Oh, and as I say good night to you, I'll leave you once again with this famous quote:
“Often a cold shudder has run through me, and I have asked myself whether I may have not devoted myself to a fantasy.”
Charles Darwin
http://www.cloverquotes.com/by/charles-darwin...
Remember to contact the publisher of the web page with any concerns, lol.
The author of this post does not personally endorse you or any quote. This poster simply recognizes that thousands of people are posting it all over the internet.
LMAO
Repeating a lie doesn't make it so, goofy.

But if it did, your Christian myth would eventually become true, eh?

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope
It's the truth. You are the liar.
You wouldn't know the truth if it was a one ton bison standing on your chest.
I'm still waiting on those "top Hebrew scholars" and cites to where they "all agree that the writer of Genesis 1 intended the word day to mean 24 hours."

Hell, I'd settle for the top Hebrew scholars all agreeing that there was one writer of Genesis 1.

Take your time, goofy.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
The anger of Christian dishonesty.
Let's recap -- again.(Oooo. An em dash.)
The poster posted a partial sentence from Darwin as a complete sentence that seems to show Darwin doubting his theory:
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
In truth, the partial sentence comes from a paragraph in which Darwin argues that his theory is a "morally" required conclusion of anyone seeking the truth:
<quoted text>
Darwin, Charles, Darwin, Francis, ed., Selected Letters on Evolution and Origin of Species (Courier Dover Publications' 1958 edition), pp. 224-5.
Now the poster seems to argue that Google's failure to filter Christian dishonesty means that dishonesty is legit.
What a hoot.
Let me ask you, since you rambled on without any real focus - what's your chief complaint? Is it grammar or Darwin's quote?

Charles Darwin

Take up your complaint about the Darwin quote with the publishers of the thousands of quote links which quote it exactly as I posted it, because if you stay on here 8 years and object to the quote with me, you're wasting your time. I have no obligation to “filter” web page contents (lol). I provide links so that the reader can (1) read the material for themselves and (2) assess the credibility of the source. If they object to the content, they can be a prick like you and deny the material, or they can disregard the source, or they can contact the web page with concerns. When I do it that way, my friend, I am being honest (something that's rather foreign to you). What you do is make false accusations, which is not only dishonest, but transparent as well.

If your complaint is about grammar, you need to learn grammar, since you posted an incomplete sentence, which is grammatically incorrect. Here's what you wrote:

“The anger of Christian dishonesty.”

A complete sentence must contain a verb:

“To be complete, every sentence must have a subject, a verb and a complete idea. The most
simple sentence creates meaning with only a subject and a verb or verb phrase.”
http://www.cabrillo.edu/~gjonker/Verbs%20revi...

And this is from the University of Ottawa:

“What is a Verb?
The verb is perhaps the most important part of the sentence. A verb or compound verb asserts something about the subject of the sentence and express actions, events, or states of being. The verb or compound verb is the critical element of the predicate of a sentence.”

Also, did you notice in the link you sent about the little m&m (well - en & em, blah, blah, blah) dashes, that they are generally used when a strong separation is needed? That means you misuse them, because all your posts are weak and without substance, lol. You never write anything with strong points. Great writers focus on substance, which you know nothing about.

I may have some grammatical errors in my posts at times, but I'm not the one who started the grammar issue. However, I am delighted to point out your grammar errors when I see them, since that seems to be your focus. Like I told you when all this first came up, I'm more concerned about the weightier issues of bad science than (en & em) dashes.

Go back to school, and work on your honesty.

Descend from your lofty pedestal into the world of reality, and you will feel better.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Repeating a lie doesn't make it so, goofy.
But if it did, your Christian myth would eventually become true, eh?
I often wonder, when I see meaningless posts like post 2686 (above) what the point to them is? Obviously, they are just someone's fat mouth “shooting off”. They are flat – they go nowhere – they have no substance – they are simply elementary grade level opinions, expressed in a childish manner. They are garbage fillers in the forum that just need to be thrown out with the dirty bathwater.

With all of today's technology in place to catch frauds and misconduct, science still fails us every day – how much more so over 100 years ago when the Darwin gang perpetrated their many frauds and myths of how our world began, lol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Atheists have great faith in the science that has failed us.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

EPIDEMIC = "A widespread occurrence of an infectious disease in a community at a particular time" example: "a flu epidemic."
Adjective: "Of, relating to, or of the nature of an epidemic."
Synonyms: "pestilence - plague "

From Scientific American:

An Epidemic of False Claims

False positives and exaggerated results in peer-reviewed scientific studies have reached epidemic proportions in recent years. The problem is rampant in economics, the social sciences and even the natural sciences, but it is particularly egregious in biomedicine. Many studies that claim some drug or treatment is beneficial have turned out not to be true. We need only look to conflicting findings about beta-carotene, vitamin E, hormone treatments, Vioxx and Avandia. Even when effects are genuine, their true magnitude is often smaller than originally claimed.

The problem begins with the public’s rising expectations of science. Being human, scientists are tempted to show that they know more than they do. The number of investigators—and the number of experiments, observations and analyses they produce—has also increased exponentially in many fields, but adequate safeguards against bias are lacking. Research is fragmented, competition is fierce and emphasis is often given to single studies instead of the big picture.

Much research is conducted for reasons other than the pursuit of truth. Conflicts of interest abound, and they influence outcomes. In health care, research is often performed at the behest of companies that have a large financial stake in the results.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

"False Positives: Fraud and Misconduct are Threatening Scientific Research"

The Guardian article.

…Cases of scientific misconduct tend to hit the headlines precisely because scientists are supposed to occupy a moral high ground when it comes to the search for truth about nature. The scientific method developed as a way to weed out human bias. But scientists, like anyone else, can be prone to bias in their bid for a place in the history books.

Increasing competition for shrinking government budgets for research and the disproportionately large rewards for publishing in the best journals have exacerbated the temptation to fudge results or ignore inconvenient data.

Massaged results can send other researchers down the wrong track, wasting time and money trying to replicate them. Worse, in medicine, it can delay the development of life-saving treatments or prolong the use of therapies that are ineffective or dangerous. Malpractice comes to light rarely, perhaps because scientific fraud is often easy to perpetrate but hard to uncover.
http://aspiringdoctors.tumblr.com/post/315917...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Atheists have faith in the fraudulent scientific evidence that has failed us.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

[Science]:
" ... riddled with false findings and erroneous conclusions... "

From Reuters:

More trial, less error - An effort to improve scientific studies

So many scientific studies are making incorrect claims that a new service has sprung up to fact-check reported findings by repeating the experiments.

A year-old Palo Alto, California, company, Science Exchange, announced on Tuesday its "Reproducibility Initiative," aimed at improving the trustworthiness of published papers. Scientists who want to validate their findings will be able to apply to the initiative, which will choose a lab to redo the study and determine whether the results match.

The project sprang from the growing realization that the scientific literature - from social psychology to basic cancer biology - is riddled with false findings and erroneous conclusions, raising questions about whether such studies can be trusted. Not only are erroneous studies a waste of money, often taxpayers', but they also can cause companies to misspend time and resources as they try to invent drugs based on false discoveries.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/14/us-...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

“I am quite conscious that my speculations run quite beyond the bounds of true science.” Charles Darwin, 1857
http://www.darwinthenandnow.com/darwin-quotat...

Quote was also found within the text at this link:
http://www.darwinproject.ac.uk/entry-2109

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

derek4 wrote:
Atheists have great faith in the science that has failed us.
Actually, atheists don't believe in a god.

As for scientific accuracy, I'm sure there are as many different viewpoints as there are atheists.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>No matter how many things science is yet incapable of explaining, filling in the gaps with imaginary myths and supernatural fables which challenge the very laws of nature as we know them is the definition of lunacy, wouldn't you agree?
Nope doesn't look correct at all.

Lunacy: intermittent insanity once believed to be related to phases of the moon

Religion: the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Khatru wrote:
Fairs fair, I'll give this particular Christian his due...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
That your definition of entertainment?

What a complete nut job.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong. I don't agree to your paraphrasing of anything I write,.

I decide what words I use.

For you to change what I write is dishonesty.

To repeat:

I have no interest in the fraud of evolution, nor your support of fraudulent scientists.
He is fulfilling yet another prophecy!

Then, Jesus warns believing Christians will be hated by the world ...

"If the world hates you,
you know that it hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you."
(John 15:18-19)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
He is fulfilling yet another prophecy!
Then, Jesus warns believing Christians will be hated by the world ...
"If the world hates you,
you know that it hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you."
(John 15:18-19)
Right. I welcome the hatred of atheists.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, atheists don't believe in a god.
As for scientific accuracy, I'm sure there are as many different viewpoints as there are atheists.
We applaud you for your valuable contribution to the forum, and your enlightening observation informing us that “atheists don't believe in a god.” We had never heard that before.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,581 - 2,600 of11,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••