Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#2464 Oct 6, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Adolph Hitler was Christain."
This is all the proof needed that "Reason Personified" never be taken seriously.
Of course Hitler was a Christian

He got his hatred of the Jews from centuries of Christian hatred and anti-semitism.

Nottingham, UK

#2465 Oct 6, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Oh, and by the way, Khatru, I don't blame you for not wanting to read about 2000 year old zombies – I don't either!!!!
So you never read about Jesus then?

Don't worry, I understand.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#2466 Oct 6, 2012
derek4 wrote:
It's been a real joy chatting with everyone this morning.
I will be going out for the afternoon to do some Saturday chores, but I want you atheists to know that I will not forget you.
I'll be back at the earliest opportunity to post some more links for you about the frauds and misconducts of science, and those unreliable textbooks – and /or or some other like materials to keep you better informed.
Oh, and by the way, Khatru, I don't blame you for not wanting to read about 2000 year old zombies – I don't either!!!!
If you are content with your religion, why do you care what atheists think?

Nottingham, UK

#2467 Oct 6, 2012
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are content with your religion, why do you care what atheists think?
My guess is that it's because people who think for themselves makes him uncomfortable.

He's probably an adherent of that famous Christian St Augustine of Hippo who came out with gems like...

“Scripture gives no false information.”

and

"Since God has spoken to us it is no longer necessary for us to think."
KJV

United States

#2468 Oct 6, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible gives the ratio for Pi as three.

Your cut and paste job is nothing more than the apologetic ramblings of a xtian who feels the need to provide his fumbling interpretation in an attempt to correct the error in the Bible.

Whoever wrote the Ahmes Papyrus, around 1650 BCE, used an approximation for Pi that was around 256/81, or about 3.16 and
Archimedes (287-212 BCE) calculated Pi to be a number between 223/71 and 22/7, or 3.1408 and 3.1429

Given the alleged perfection of the bible you'd have thought that the god of the OT would have done better than man.
"The Bible gives the ratio for Pi as three.
"

Where?

They did but you ignore the facts of Pi in the bible. You can see the evidence if you refuse to open your eyes.

I should start calling you "Ostrich" because you bury your head and shout from under ground your lies ignoring the truths above ground.
KJV

United States

#2469 Oct 6, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Ah, I get it.

As far as you're concerned there's nothing of any relevance in the Old Testament and certainly no rules that you need to adhere to.
You don't know the faith your attacking.
KJV

United States

#2470 Oct 6, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Except that the Bible doesn't actually say what you just cut and pasted.

I know that's what you'd like it to say but the fact is that it gives the ratio of the circumference to the diameter as three.

That's right, three. Not three and a bit - just three.

Now I know how xtians tend to ditch the facts if they disagree with their myths but here's a fact you can't dump:

1 Kings, 7:23 says.....

"And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about."

That's plain enough.

Clearly the Bible is not as divinely inspired as xtians claim it to be.
You choose to use measurement to try and prove you worthless point.
A cubit it a non fixed measurement.

"The first explanation concerns the accuracy of biblical measurements. My dictionary defines a "cubit" as "an ancient linear unit based on the length of the forearm, varying in extent, but usually from 17 to 21 inches." This is the elbow to the end of the middle finger. Even taking the midpoint as 19 inches, a diameter of 10 cubits equals 190 inches, which equals nearly 16 feet; the circumference is over 45 feet. This is a big bowl!

I measured my own cubit - with difficulty - and it is about 18 1/2 inches.

But certainly each of our cubits is not identical. Further, measuring a bowl of that size using armlengths is not likely to be precise, especially with circular measurements. Finally, it is not clear that the Biblical text required an exact measurement; a measurement that is rounded to the nearest cubit might have been fine for the purpose. We provide rounded measurements in everyday life all the time: if I ask how old you are, you probably reply with a number rounded to the nearest year, or at best to the nearest half year. And that's fine - I don't need your answer to the second. It is also not clear that the Hebrews knew about fractions. So maybe 30 and 10 and pi = 3 was just fine for the purpose at the time."

http://jerry.praxisiimath.com/pi.html
KJV

United States

#2471 Oct 6, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Hang on a minute. You're referring to the Old Testament and by your own admission, you don't follow it's rules.

The books that make up the Old Testament belong to the Jews, not the Christians. Those OT *prophecies*(I use the term loosely) were made by the Jews. It's their religion, not yours.

Ask a Jew whether Christ fulfilled those prophecies and you'll get a quite different answer to the one you want to hear. Who are you to tell the Jews that their belief system is wrong and that they're not interpreting their own scriptures properly? Christians see the whole Jewish mythology as little more than a dress rehearsal for their own mythology.

Anyway. Many people who know the Bible far better than you or I, state that Daniel was written centuries later around the time of the Maccabean Revolt.

I trust you're also aware that Daniel contradicts other scriptures.

What does Daniel have to say about why we suffer?

As far as Daniel is concerned, humans suffer because of forces (beasts) opposed to God and his followers. The *righteous*(another word I use loosely) behaviour of God's followers leads to their persecution and suffering. This is in Daniel 7:18 & 7:27.

Now check out Amos 3-5 where you'll see that people suffer because it's caused by God on the people who have broken his rules.

So, a quick recap here and you'll see that in Daniel it's God's enemies who cause suffering and in Amos it's God himself who causes it.

What does Daniel have to say about how suffering ends?

Well, Daniels says it will end very soon when God destroys the evil that's at large and leaves the way clear for his kingdom to be created.

What does Amos say about how the suffering ends?

Amos doesn't say it will end soon. All he says is that it will be at some point in the future and will be when the people repent.

In Daniel suffering is to end very soon when God's personally intervenes and destroys the evil forces that are arrayed against him.

In Amos it's none of that and suffering will end when the people return to God.
You really are clueless to the Christian faith.

"Hang on a minute. You're referring to the Old Testament and by your own admission, you don't follow it's rules."

What a dolt.
KJV

United States

#2472 Oct 6, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Hang on a minute. You're referring to the Old Testament and by your own admission, you don't follow it's rules.

The books that make up the Old Testament belong to the Jews, not the Christians. Those OT *prophecies*(I use the term loosely) were made by the Jews. It's their religion, not yours.

Ask a Jew whether Christ fulfilled those prophecies and you'll get a quite different answer to the one you want to hear. Who are you to tell the Jews that their belief system is wrong and that they're not interpreting their own scriptures properly? Christians see the whole Jewish mythology as little more than a dress rehearsal for their own mythology.

Anyway. Many people who know the Bible far better than you or I, state that Daniel was written centuries later around the time of the Maccabean Revolt.

I trust you're also aware that Daniel contradicts other scriptures.

What does Daniel have to say about why we suffer?

As far as Daniel is concerned, humans suffer because of forces (beasts) opposed to God and his followers. The *righteous*(another word I use loosely) behaviour of God's followers leads to their persecution and suffering. This is in Daniel 7:18 & 7:27.

Now check out Amos 3-5 where you'll see that people suffer because it's caused by God on the people who have broken his rules.

So, a quick recap here and you'll see that in Daniel it's God's enemies who cause suffering and in Amos it's God himself who causes it.

What does Daniel have to say about how suffering ends?

Well, Daniels says it will end very soon when God destroys the evil that's at large and leaves the way clear for his kingdom to be created.

What does Amos say about how the suffering ends?

Amos doesn't say it will end soon. All he says is that it will be at some point in the future and will be when the people repent.

In Daniel suffering is to end very soon when God's personally intervenes and destroys the evil forces that are arrayed against him.

In Amos it's none of that and suffering will end when the people return to God.
"The books that make up the Old Testament belong to the Jews, not the Christians. Those OT *prophecies*(I use the term loosely) were made by the Jews. It's their religion, not yours."

You choose to be this. Stupid.

You can't make this stuff up!

What a idiot!

LOL
KJV

United States

#2473 Oct 6, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Lol

Better review your statement about those scriptural helicopters before you start calling people fools.

I'm here because this thread is on the Atheist forum as well as being in Religion.
No need

You're a fool, idiot, moron, Clodhopper.

You are also very entertaining. It's not everyday you find somebody this stupid that can still type. Keep up the good work.
KJV

United States

#2474 Oct 6, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Of course Hitler was a Christian

He got his hatred of the Jews from centuries of Christian hatred and anti-semitism.
Proof of a Dolt ----> "Of course Hitler was a Christian"

I'm surprised you're smart enough to breath.
KJV

United States

#2475 Oct 6, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>So you never read about Jesus then?

Don't worry, I understand.
That's not very accurate. He said he didn't like reading about 2000 year old zombies.

But of course you knew that. You just try and slant the truth because you can't win with the truth the truth eats at your hardened heart like termites eating at your wooden head.
KJV

United States

#2476 Oct 6, 2012
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>If you are content with your religion, why do you care what atheists think?
I really don't care, not sure about Derek but I'm here for the entertainment factor of the Dolts.

Since: Mar 11

Florence, KY

#2477 Oct 6, 2012
A sheep being led to the slaughter is what he is.
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>You stand pat?

You mean you stand on a cowpat?

I guess the smell of shite is just too enticing for you to resist.

Anyway, it's posts like these that reveal how you're definitely a xtian.

No other religion has such warped and twisted followers.

Florence, KY

#2478 Oct 6, 2012
Yes now we see the blood thirsty violent heart of a Christhole!

Tell you what I will take you up on OT of we can line up Christholes and they commit suicide for each bible prophecy that is wrong. You being first.

Jesus told young children around him that some of them would not experience death before the end came. Are there any 2000 year old people around?
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>And if not we get to stone you!

Florence, KY

#2479 Oct 6, 2012
The Daniel math joke is a huge embarrassment to even many apologetics so if I were you I would steer away from that.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>You have failed to show me your claim of me stealing someone else's work.
So I must file that in the super huge file labeled atheist lies.

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t0...

"Fulfilled Prophecies

The remarkable evidence of fulfilled prophecy is just one case in point. Hundreds of Bible prophecies have been fulfilled, specifically and meticulously, often long after the prophetic writer had passed away.

For example, Daniel the prophet predicted in about 538 BC (Daniel 9:24-27) that Christ would come as Israel's promised Savior and Prince 483 years after the Persian emperor would give the Jews authority to rebuild Jerusalem, which was then in ruins. This was clearly and definitely fulfilled, hundreds of years later.

There are extensive prophecies dealing with individual nations and cities and with the course of history in general, all of which have been literally fulfilled. More than 300 prophecies were fulfilled by Christ Himself at His first coming. Other prophecies deal with the spread of Christianity, as well as various false religions, and many other subjects.

There is no other book, ancient or modern, like this. The vague, and usually erroneous, prophecies of people like Jeanne Dixon, Nostradamus, Edgar Cayce, and others like them are not in the same category at all, and neither are other religious books such as the Koran, the Confucian Analects, and similar religious writings. Only the Bible manifests this remarkable prophetic evidence, and it does so on such a tremendous scale as to render completely absurd any explanation other than divine revelation."

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t0...

Florence, KY

#2480 Oct 6, 2012
Just something to consider before cursing one to hell eh? If you are going to go might as well get your money's worth!
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>They were crying for your soul!

But it really made you feel like THE MAN.

Pretty good the way you follow Satan's suggestions so venomously. Grandma would be so proud.

Florence, KY

#2481 Oct 6, 2012
Speaking of Noah could you imagine the happy day when his granddaughter gave birth to an Eskimo?
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>"Besides, I could never take credit for Noah and his family comprising the 100%- that wit belongs to Lanoliers. I'm still laughing over that one because it was so true and made you look so very much more stupid than you already did, lol."

I almost pissed my pants when I read that one.
KJV

United States

#2482 Oct 6, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Yes now we see the blood thirsty violent heart of a Christhole!

Tell you what I will take you up on OT of we can line up Christholes and they commit suicide for each bible prophecy that is wrong. You being first.

Jesus told young children around him that some of them would not experience death before the end came. Are there any 2000 year old people around?
"Yes now we see the blood thirsty violent heart of a Christhole!"

Not at all, back in the day of Jesus if you were found to be a false prophet you would be stoned to death.
You mocked Jesus and the bible prophets as jokes claiming you could do as well. I was just adding what theses early Christians were up against if they were wrong. You should be held to the same standard if you truly believe that you can be just as accurate prophet.
KJV

United States

#2483 Oct 6, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>The Daniel math joke is a huge embarrassment to even many apologetics so if I were you I would steer away from that.
No need, you twist the bible words to try and make it look as if God doesn't know what Pi is. I know better.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Morse 231,965
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 3 hr Morse 1,034
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 7 hr Morse 27
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 7 hr Morse 14,450
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 10 hr QUITTNER Nov 27 2014 31
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 16 hr Richardfs 1,423
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 23 hr Gillette 5,946

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE