Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#2350 Oct 5, 2012
derek4 wrote:
Why Scientific Studies Are So Often Wrong: The Streetlight Effect
Researchers tend to look for answers where the looking is good, rather than where the answers are likely to be hiding.
A bolt of excitement ran through the field of cardiology in the early 1980s when anti-arrhythmia drugs burst onto the scene. Researchers knew that heart-attack victims with steady heartbeats had the best odds of survival, so a medication that could tamp down irregularities seemed like a no-brainer. The drugs became the standard of care for heart-attack patients and were soon smoothing out heartbeats in intensive care wards across the United States.
But in the early 1990s, cardiologists realized that the drugs were also doing something else: killing about 56,000 heart-attack patients a year. Yes, hearts were beating more regularly on the drugs than off, but their owners were, on average, one-third as likely to pull through. Cardiologists had been so focused on immediately measurable arrhythmias that they had overlooked the longer-term but far more important variable of death.
The fundamental error here is summed up in an old joke scientists love to tell. Late at night, a police officer finds a drunk man crawling around on his hands and knees under a streetlight. The drunk man tells the officer he’s looking for his wallet. When the officer asks if he’s sure this is where he dropped the wallet, the man replies that he thinks he more likely dropped it across the street. Then why are you looking over here? the befuddled officer asks. Because the light’s better here, explains the drunk man.
http://discovermagazine.com/2010/jul-aug/29-w...
And ancient myths are so reliable, right?

Dummy.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#2351 Oct 5, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
derek4,
Did you know that you and me and Langoliers are the same person!!
I guess we're the holy trinity!!
LOL you can't make it up!
All 3 the same person? Where is the evidence?

I'm in Dallas, TX, as I've posted many times in here...

KJV in Elmhurst, IL, I think it shows.

Don't know where you are, but you came in much later on than I did, and after KJV.

They try anything, don't they? Or is it "they" - maybe there is only ONE atheist in here, lol.

Columbus, OH

#2352 Oct 5, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
derek4,
Did you know that you and me and Langoliers are the same person!!
I guess we're the holy trinity!!
LOL you can't make it up!
Christians often confuse themselves with their deity.

Odd, huh?

Hey, you still stealing bad apologetics?

Columbus, OH

#2353 Oct 5, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
They try anything, don't they?....
Grammatically incorrect projection.

Location hidden

#2354 Oct 5, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
And ancient myths are more reliable how, dummy?
“Often a cold shudder has run through me, and I have asked myself whether I may have not devoted myself to a fantasy.”
Charles Darwin

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."
Einstein

“Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a Spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe – a Spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble. In this way the pursuit of science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which is indeed quite different from the religiosity of someone more naive.”
...Einstein 1936, as cited in Dukas and Hoffmann, Albert Einstein: The Human Side, Princeton University Press, 1979, 33

Location hidden

#2355 Oct 5, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
And ancient myths are so reliable, right?
Dummy.
Ancient myths are most unreliable. I throw them out the same as I do all the fraudulent science I've posted for the past month.

Location hidden

#2356 Oct 5, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Grammatically incorrect projection.
You study grammar, and I'll stick with the weightier issue of fraudulent science and scientific misconduct which I find more interesting. It's been most enlightening.

Location hidden

#2357 Oct 5, 2012
We cannot ... measure whether there is more (or less) fraud in science today than in previous eras because of both insufficient quantitative data and inherent inconsistencies in how misconduct has been defined. Only a few sensational episodes of scientific fraud are well documented; many, such as the Piltdown skull forgery, remain a mystery. Allegations often survive only in participants' memories or departmental gossip; formal records may not exist or may be locked in confidential personnel files. Few of the people caught up in these cases, whether accused, accuser, or investigator, have been willing or able to be interviewed by social scientists. The most comprehensive details on recent cases have been contained in news reports (which vary widely in accuracy and credibility) or the sanitized announcements from government investigatory agencies.
http://ebm.rsmjournals.com/content/224/4/211....
KJV

United States

#2358 Oct 5, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>I don't believe it.

However, xtians do.

This of course means that they deeply love all the killings that the Bible says their god has carried out.
No it doesn't

Dolt warning.
KJV

United States

#2359 Oct 5, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>You're another sock.

It shows the paucity of your arguments when you feel you have to use so many socks to support them.
Atheist well always try the old sidetrack tool when getting clobbered!

Right now Khatru is just kindling wood.

It's about time for him to bail out to a different thread. He does not like getting whittled down to size.
KJV

United States

#2360 Oct 5, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Your post confirmed his:

His post: "3500 — 4000 churches close their doors each year."
Your post: "3500 churches will close their doors"
Really, you think that's the same?

One post 3500 to 4000 churches close down every year.

The other says about 4000 new churches open ever year while about 3500 close leaving a GROWTH of 500 churches.

His post was saying last nights football score was 24 to 9 Raiders! While the finale score was 24 to 30 Packers.

Posting the half time score as if it was the finale score is as miss leading as an all out lie.
KJV

United States

#2361 Oct 5, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>And ancient myths are more reliable how, dummy?
http://www.reasons.org/articles/articles/fulf...

"Unique among all books ever written, the Bible accurately foretells specific events-in detail-many years, sometimes centuries, before they occur. Approximately 2500 prophecies appear in the pages of the Bible, about 2000 of which already have been fulfilled to the letter—no errors."
KJV

United States

#2362 Oct 5, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>And ancient myths are so reliable, right?

Dummy.
"Unique among all books ever written, the Bible accurately foretells specific events-in detail-many years, sometimes centuries, before they occur. Approximately 2500 prophecies appear in the pages of the Bible, about 2000 of which already have been fulfilled to the letter—no errors."

KJV

United States

#2363 Oct 5, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>All 3 the same person? Where is the evidence?

I'm in Dallas, TX, as I've posted many times in here...

KJV in Elmhurst, IL, I think it shows.

Don't know where you are, but you came in much later on than I did, and after KJV.

They try anything, don't they? Or is it "they" - maybe there is only ONE atheist in here, lol.
They use tactic like this to side track when they're getting their azzes handed to them. LOL
KJV

United States

#2364 Oct 5, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>Christians often confuse themselves with their deity.

Odd, huh?

Hey, you still stealing bad apologetics?
Yup! Selling them too!

What wimpy Dolt you are!
KJV

United States

#2365 Oct 5, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>Grammatically incorrect projection.
Side track warning !

Wimpy Dolt.

Since: Mar 11

Florence, KY

#2366 Oct 5, 2012
So a future fiction writer reads previous vaguely worded fiction and makes up similar sounding vaguely worded crap.

Hey check this out! I say in the next five ears bad things will happen! People will suffer greatly and die! Famine will spread like wildfire across under developed countries! Anger and rage will boil over causing innocents blood to be spilled! A mighty leader will be shamed and lose power. Earthquakes and mighty storms from the ocean will obliterate life and destroy homes. Disease will ravage millions killing them as insects. Wealth seekers shall wail and mourn as their fortunes evaporate. A talented musician will commit suicide and others will die by overdose.

Let's see how many of these come true. If a majority do come true I guess I am a prophet yes?
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>"Unique among all books ever written, the Bible accurately foretells specific events-in detail-many years, sometimes centuries, before they occur. Approximately 2500 prophecies appear in the pages of the Bible, about 2000 of which already have been fulfilled to the letter—no errors."

Columbus, OH

#2367 Oct 6, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Often a cold shudder has run through me, and I have asked myself whether I may have not devoted myself to a fantasy.”
In a letter to Sir Charles Lydell, one of Charles Darwin's mentors, Darwin *actually* wrote:

"You seemed to have worked admirably on the species question; there could not have been a better plan than reading up on the opposite side. I rejoice profoundly that you intend admitting the doctrine of modification in your new edition;* nothing, I am convinced, could be more important for its success. I honour you most sincerely. To have maintained in the position of a master, one side of a question for thirty years, and then deliberately give it up, is a fact to which I much doubt whether the records of science offer a parallel. For myself, also, I rejoice profoundly; for, thinking of so many cases of men pursuing an illusion for years, often and often a cold shudder has run through me, and I have asked myself whether I may not have devoted my life to a phantasy.*Now I look at it as morally impossible that investigators of truth, like you and Hooker, can be wholly wrong, and therefore I rest in peace.* Thank you for criticisms, which, if there be a second edition, I will attend to. I have been thinking that if I am much execrated as an atheist, etc., whether the admission of the doctrine of natural selection could injure your works; but I hope and think not, for as far as I can remember, the virulence of bigotry is expended on the first offender, and those who adopt his views are only pitied as deluded, by the wise and cheerful bigots."

Darwin, Charles, Darwin, Francis, ed., Selected Letters on Evolution and Origin of Species (Courier Dover Publications' 1958 edition), pp. 224-5.(My emphasis.)

Why are Christians so dishonest?

Columbus, OH

#2368 Oct 6, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ancient myths are most unreliable. I throw them out the same as I do all the fraudulent science I've posted for the past month.
Then you're admitting Christianity belongs trash heap of history.

Or is it all ancient myths but yours?

Columbus, OH

#2369 Oct 6, 2012
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
You study grammar, and I'll stick with the weightier issue of fraudulent science and scientific misconduct which I find more interesting. It's been most enlightening.
I don't study grammar; I just make fun of your lack of it.

And, yes, your fascination with -- and reliance on -- dishonesty has already been noted.

Do we need yet another recap?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 24 min Uncle Sam 2,384
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Joe fortuna 232,927
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Thinking 23,201
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 4 hr Thinking 150
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 10 hr Thinking 3
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 19 hr Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 20 hr Thinking 3
More from around the web