Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments
2,221 - 2,240 of 11,175 Comments Last updated Jan 18, 2014

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Langoliers wrote:
So you're bored, hopefully to death.
That's a very ugly thing to post. Has any skeptic here wished for your death?

I contend that compared to Christianity, humanists and humanism are morally superior, and this would be an example of that. Frankly, it seems that nothing keeps Christians from berserking and killing unbelievers except their fear of reprisal (I borrowed that one from your play book as well - sow and reap, remember?).

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
And Christians rise to Heaven.
That raises an interesting question about where Jesus is now, and why he hasn't returned yet. Jesus floated upward on Easter Day, 33 CE. Do we know what time? In order to know in which direction he was launched, we need to know what part of the galaxy was on his zenith at T = 0 and liftoff.

Whatever direction that was, unless he went into warp drive, he's still in the our spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy - the Orion-Cygnus arm, which is about 3500 light years in width.

Assuming that heaven is located in the supermassive black hole at galactic center, he's still a good 25,000 light years from his heavenly home. This may be why he hasn't come back again as soon as expected. I hope he has a guide star like the Magi did, because that is so helpful.

It's a wonderful mythology.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

KJV wrote:
Deuteronomy 5:9
English Standard Version (ESV)
"You shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me"
2) And the shapes [or "resemblance"] of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men. And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions. And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle. And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men

That goat herder is describing a modern era HELICOPTER
That's a helicopter? I thought it was a merry-go-round. Or a disposable razor.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

KJV wrote:
Can you believe they choose to be atheist and hope to hell that they don't exist past death! They live miserable life then hope there is no hell. What fools they are.
That must be because we hate god and are trying to escape accountability.

"As an atheist, having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippie threaten to punch me in my aura.”- Josh Thomas

Where do you suppose hell is? In the center of the earth? That's where the extreme heat and brimstone are, and a lot closer than galactic center.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>There is no such thing as "Hate Speech".
I think there is.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>There is no such thing as "Hate Speech".
The Bible is full of it.

Here's an example:

Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him."

(Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

I suppose you think the above text is an example of the god of the Bible's transcendent love?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a very ugly thing to post. Has any skeptic here wished for your death?
I contend that compared to Christianity, humanists and humanism are morally superior, and this would be an example of that. Frankly, it seems that nothing keeps Christians from berserking and killing unbelievers except their fear of reprisal (I borrowed that one from your play book as well - sow and reap, remember?).
You're absolutely right on this - it's a vile and disgusting thing to say.

I've also encountered this seething mass of bile and hatred fuelled by Xtianity:
Langoliers wrote:
Hold your breath, I'll get it soon (after you drop dead. LOL)
Ah HA HA HA!!!!!(Evil laugh)
It's plain to see how this idiot's religion has warped and twisted his ethics so much that he wants to see those who disagree with him killed.

I guess that's what Xtianity does to you.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
That raises an interesting question about where Jesus is now, and why he hasn't returned yet. Jesus floated upward on Easter Day, 33 CE. Do we know what time? In order to know in which direction he was launched, we need to know what part of the galaxy was on his zenith at T = 0 and liftoff.
Whatever direction that was, unless he went into warp drive, he's still in the our spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy - the Orion-Cygnus arm, which is about 3500 light years in width.
Assuming that heaven is located in the supermassive black hole at galactic center, he's still a good 25,000 light years from his heavenly home. This may be why he hasn't come back again as soon as expected. I hope he has a guide star like the Magi did, because that is so helpful.
It's a wonderful mythology.
There may well be a black hole in the vicinity of Cygnus X-1.

Perhaps it swallowed up Jesus.

This would explain why he hasn't come back yet.

We all know that when the author of Revelations said that Jesus was coming "soon" he really meant "soon". Not, more than two thousand years later.

REV 22:20

He may have thought about helicopters but I guess the concept of black holes was too much for him to grasp.

Ps. I'm still laughing at the idiot who says that the Bible was describing helicopters!

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, in his own words he said he was a Christian, and in my own words, I say I am President of the United States, and that makes me president; lmao!!!
Was Hitler a Christian?
"Hitler was a neo-pagan terrorist whose conscience was not informed by Christianity, but by pseudo-scientific racist philosophies. Hitler hated the Catholic Church, made plans to kill the Pope, authorized the murder of thousands of priests and nuns, and did everything he could to suppress the influence of the Church. In 1933, Hitler said,'It is through the peasantry that we shall really be able to destroy Christianity because there is in them a true religion rooted in nature and blood.'"
[further down, within the text:]
“... atheists looking for a quick cheap-shot may claim Hitler was a Christian; similarly, Christians looking for a quick shot may claim he was an atheist. Know what? Hitler was a vegetarian! Oooh, those evil vegetarians! He also recommended that parents give their children milk to drink instead of beer and started the first anti-smoking campaign.(So by the "reasoning" used in these types of arguments, if you are truly anti-Hitler, you should smoke heavily and only give your baby beer!) Better watch out, though he was an oxygen-breather, too! In other words, does it really matter whether Hitler was an atheist or a Christian or whatever? Just because somebody may hold a particular worldview (along with other views) doesn't make him a spokesman for that view, or even remotely representative of others who hold that view.”
continued:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1699...
Hitler was an imposter, not a Christian.... a deceiver, and not even a good one.
Did Stalin kill more people than Hitler?
Answer:
Yes, Stalin killed more, although neither ordered killing directly. They often just hinted at it.
Hitler hinted at the killling of 17 million.
Stalin has estimated murders of between 3 and 60 million people - it is currently generally said that he killed over 20 million people during his leadership.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_Stalin_kill_mor...
Does the Christain have to be elected, by a majority vote to become a Christain? No it doesn't, and while I will challenge your right to call yourself president, who challenged Hitler's words, that he was Christain?

Now that he is dead, only the Christains do.

George W. Bush claimed to be a Christain, is he?

The answer is yes, he is, and yes so was Adolph Hitler, and no it doesn't look good for Christainity that either considered themselves as Christain.

The web will give you declarations pointing to either side of this argument, as truth, but the final straw is that Adolph Hitler considered himself a Christain.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Insert moron proof here ---> "You also can't rewrite history, and keep it truth, by claiming that Adolph Hitler wasn't a Christain"
There ya go! Another Moron!!
What was that?^^^^---> "You also can't rewrite history, and keep it truth, by claiming that Adolph Hitler wasn't a Christain"
There ya go! Moron!!

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is full of it.
Here's an example:
Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him."
(Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)
I suppose you think the above text is an example of the god of the Bible's transcendent love?
I don't two craps what the above text says. Hate speech is a non-crime, period. People who claim hate speech are just manipulative puss-bags that need to grow up.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
... Nice try ass hole!...
Your very first post to me and this is how you start?

Thank you for beings such a fine example of a true Christian. You church should be so proud of you.

I get so very tired of Christians who just posts on the Atheism forum threads to so everybody how vile and hateful they are. And it's all of them, which must mean that this is the attitude and demeanor of 100% of the Christians in America, the rest just hide their hatred and bigotry better.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>I don't two craps what the above text says. Hate speech is a non-crime, period. People who claim hate speech are just manipulative puss-bags that need to grow up.
Where did I say that hate speech is a crime? Or are you just making things up as you go along?

My post was flagging up the fact that the Bible contains hate speech - a fact that you obviously accept.

Is inciting people to kill others a crime?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for beings such a fine example of a true Christian. You church should be so proud of you.
I get so very tired of Christians who just posts on the Atheism forum threads to so everybody how vile and hateful they are. And it's all of them, which must mean that this is the attitude and demeanor of 100% of the Christians in America, the rest just hide their hatred and bigotry better.
He's obviously had his arse kicked so much by non-believers that threatening people is the best he can do.

He's also too frightened and embarrassed to tell us just what brand of xtian he is.

Perhaps he's a Mormon.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Just re-posting and old favorite to start the day:

Survival of the Fakest:
www.discovery.org/articleFiles/PDFs/survivalO...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Does the Christain have to be elected, by a majority vote to become a Christain? No it doesn't, and while I will challenge your right to call yourself president, who challenged Hitler's words, that he was Christain?
Now that he is dead, only the Christains do.
George W. Bush claimed to be a Christain, is he?
The answer is yes, he is, and yes so was Adolph Hitler, and no it doesn't look good for Christainity that either considered themselves as Christain.
The web will give you declarations pointing to either side of this argument, as truth, but the final straw is that Adolph Hitler considered himself a Christain.
Hitler's non-Christian staus has already been addressed daily. No additional whining and twisting from you will change the facts, so you're wasting your time replying to me. False claims that Hitler was a Christian will only produce the same standard response (below). It's not open to dispute.

Was Hitler a Christian?

"Hitler was a neo-pagan terrorist whose conscience was not informed by Christianity, but by pseudo-scientific racist philosophies. Hitler hated the Catholic Church, made plans to kill the Pope, authorized the murder of thousands of priests and nuns, and did everything he could to suppress the influence of the Church. In 1933, Hitler said,'It is through the peasantry that we shall really be able to destroy Christianity because there is in them a true religion rooted in nature and blood.'"

[further down, within the text:]

“... atheists looking for a quick cheap-shot may claim Hitler was a Christian; similarly, Christians looking for a quick shot may claim he was an atheist. Know what? Hitler was a vegetarian! Oooh, those evil vegetarians! He also recommended that parents give their children milk to drink instead of beer and started the first anti-smoking campaign.(So by the "reasoning" used in these types of arguments, if you are truly anti-Hitler, you should smoke heavily and only give your baby beer!) Better watch out, though he was an oxygen-breather, too! In other words, does it really matter whether Hitler was an atheist or a Christian or whatever? Just because somebody may hold a particular worldview (along with other views) doesn't make him a spokesman for that view, or even remotely representative of others who hold that view.”

continued:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1699...

Hitler was an imposter, not a Christian.... a deceiver, and not even a good one.

Did Stalin kill more people than Hitler?

Answer:

Yes, Stalin killed more, although neither ordered killing directly. They often just hinted at it.
Hitler hinted at the killling of 17 million.

Stalin has estimated murders of between 3 and 60 million people - it is currently generally said that he killed over 20 million people during his leadership.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_Stalin_kill_mor...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Touchy, aren't you? Please try to keep some semblance of dignity and self control. I'm concerned about your health because that anger of yours is going to raise your blood pressure. And think about how your pulse shoots way up when you have outbursts like that! You don't want to have a stroke, do you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Are Top Scientists Really So Atheistic? Look at the Data

“Elaine Howard Ecklund is a sociologist at Rice University; we cited her work on the topic of science and religion in Unscientific America. Now, she is out with a book that is going to seriously undercut some widespread assumptions out there concerning the science religion relationship.

The book, soon to be out from Oxford University press, is entitled Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really Think. And let me give you just a taste of her answers, from the book jacket (I haven’t dug in yet):

In the course of her research, Ecklund surveyed nearly 1,700 scientists and interviewed 275 of them. She finds that most of what we believe about the faith lives of elite scientists is wrong. Nearly 50 percent of them are religious. Many others are what she calls “spiritual entrepreneurs,” seeking creative ways to work with the tensions between science and faith outside the constraints of traditional religion…..only a small minority are actively hostile to religion. Ecklund reveals how scientists–believers and skeptics alike–are struggling to engage the increasing number of religious students in their classrooms and argues that many scientists are searching for “boundary pioneers” to cross the picket lines separating science and religion.”

Incidentally, the universities whose scientists were surveyed for the book are: Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, MIT, Princeton, Stanford, Penn, U.C. Berkeley, UCLA, U. of Chicago, University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign, U. Michigan, U. Minnesota, UNC Chapel Hill, U. Washington-Seattle, U. Wisconsin-Madison, U.S.C., Washington University, and Yale.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/intersectio...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Atheism Aside: Peter Hitchens' Journey to Faith

“One of Britain's most famous journalists and outspoken atheists Peter Hitchens has become a Christian.

His new-found faith has led to a very public literary debate with his older brother Christopher, who does not share his brother's belief in God.

Christopher, a very outspoken atheist and an American citizen, has written the book God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything.

In response, Peter, columnist for the London Mail on Sunday and a former atheist and Marxist revolutionary, has just written a book titled The Rage Against God: How Atheism Led Me to Faith.

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2010/July/At...

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

Take a horse the size of a locust, slap on a mans face but long hair like a woman, a crown on it's head and a scorpion tail by it's Christhole.

You would need lots of drugs to see a helicopter!
<quoted text>That's a helicopter? I thought it was a merry-go-round. Or a disposable razor.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••