Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Star Press

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Comments (Page 110)

Showing posts 2,181 - 2,200 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
Unable to show proof? Check.
Ad Hom attack trying to redirect from said failure?
Check.
Loser Christhole goes down like his daughter at a motley crew concert? Check.
I humbly accept your surrender. So as I have proven churches are closing down left and right so is it any mystery why they are attacking non believers?
<quoted text>
You pore thang. You're crying and whining again, lol.

Like I said before, since it was you who made the first claim, and I quote you:“All these churches closing down are hoping someone buys them as well. One in my area was made into a strip club. Neat!”--- you should have backed that up with links, or it's nothing but gibberish.

SO: When you show your links, I show my links. I promised you that before, and I keep my promises, but you don't......you failed and let us all down, just like we can always depend on you to do.

Until you fix your problem, you remain the loser you always have been, so nothing's new.

In the meantime, I've already posted plenty of facts and links which support my positions but you don't read those, so why would you read anything new?

Tell you what – you just keep a pickin' at yore boogers, same as you always do, lmao.

Oh, and try going to church with grandma when you see her over the holidays. You never know, it might add years to your life:

Health Benefit of Believing God Cares About You

A new study from chaplains George Fitchett and Patricia Murphy of the Rush University Medical Center found that clinically depressed people who believe in a personal and caring God respond better to medical treatment for their illness than do those who don’t believe in a concerned God.
As Murphy, who’s also a professor of religion, health, and human values at Rush, notes:

The positive response to medication had little to do with the feeling of hope that typically accompanies spiritual belief. It was tied specifically to the belief that a Supreme Being cared.
For people diagnosed with clinical depression, medication certainly plays an important role in reducing symptoms. But when treating persons diagnosed with depression, clinicians need to be aware of the role of religion in their patients’ lives. It is an important resource in planning their care.
http://www.scienceandreligiontoday.com/2010/0...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>You also can't rewrite history, and keep it truth, by claiming that Adolph Hitler wasn't a Christain. There are thousands of pieces of evidence, including his own words that says he was a Christain.
Yep, in his own words he said he was a Christian, and in my own words, I say I am President of the United States, and that makes me president; lmao!!!

Was Hitler a Christian?

"Hitler was a neo-pagan terrorist whose conscience was not informed by Christianity, but by pseudo-scientific racist philosophies. Hitler hated the Catholic Church, made plans to kill the Pope, authorized the murder of thousands of priests and nuns, and did everything he could to suppress the influence of the Church. In 1933, Hitler said,'It is through the peasantry that we shall really be able to destroy Christianity because there is in them a true religion rooted in nature and blood.'"

[further down, within the text:]

“... atheists looking for a quick cheap-shot may claim Hitler was a Christian; similarly, Christians looking for a quick shot may claim he was an atheist. Know what? Hitler was a vegetarian! Oooh, those evil vegetarians! He also recommended that parents give their children milk to drink instead of beer and started the first anti-smoking campaign.(So by the "reasoning" used in these types of arguments, if you are truly anti-Hitler, you should smoke heavily and only give your baby beer!) Better watch out, though he was an oxygen-breather, too! In other words, does it really matter whether Hitler was an atheist or a Christian or whatever? Just because somebody may hold a particular worldview (along with other views) doesn't make him a spokesman for that view, or even remotely representative of others who hold that view.”

continued:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1699...

Hitler was an imposter, not a Christian.... a deceiver, and not even a good one.

Did Stalin kill more people than Hitler?

Answer:

Yes, Stalin killed more, although neither ordered killing directly. They often just hinted at it.
Hitler hinted at the killling of 17 million.

Stalin has estimated murders of between 3 and 60 million people - it is currently generally said that he killed over 20 million people during his leadership.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_Stalin_kill_mor...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

An Atheist Defends the Value of Religion

By Bruce Sheiman
author

As an atheist, I approach religion much like an economist. I believe religion persists in our market-based culture, despite the prevalence of secularism, because it provides net value over and above its required investment, and because it beats competing belief systems in the same value proposition. I evaluate religion in terms of its pragmatic usefulness to humankind and seek to answer the question posed by William James: "Grant an idea or belief to be true, what concrete difference will its being true make in anyone's actual life?"
Atheism is a bankrupt ideology on empirical grounds: Its benefits simply do not come close to covering its opportunity costs. Religion, by contrast, offers the vast majority of people a high-value transaction: Its enduring benefits far outweigh its costs. Religion persists, in short, for the reason that it provides the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Thus, by book "An Atheist Defends Religion" is not mainly a critical examination of the New Atheism. Rather, I am making a broad statement about the affirmative role of religion in the contemporary world and what is lost in a purely secular conception of the world.

... continued:

Faith is one of the most powerful forces in human development and a strong impetus to personal transformation and collective progress. Religion's misdeeds may make for provocative headlines, but the everyday good works of billions of pious people is the real history of religion, one that parallels the growth and prosperity of humankind. There are countless examples of individuals lifting themselves out of personal misery through faith. In the lives of these people, God is not a delusion, God is not a spell that must be broken - God is indeed great.
The debate about the existence of God is never ending. What is not in dispute is that God exists in people's hearts, minds and spirits. What is not in dispute is that religion is adaptive, constructive and healthful - and thereby makes a positive difference in people's lives. Reflecting James' pragmatic conception of belief: When we act as if religion is true, we act with greater optimism, hope and benevolence.

... continued:

Bruce Sheiman is the author of the new book "An Atheist Defends Religion: Why Humanity is Better Off With Religion than Without It."
http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/gue...

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Judged:

Langoliers wrote: "floods, fire, earthquakes, tsunamis and the like, and that he is angry"
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a fool would believe that? I don't believe that. Christians do.....
And insurance companies. These are all considered "acts of god" in standard insurance policies.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Still waiting for this proof you claim to have.

This is the best you can do?

You're just another xtian gasbag.
Hold your breath, I'll get it soon (after you drop dead. LOL)

I'll repeat this for you S L O W atheist. I'm not here to give you a way to heaven. I don't want to see any of you there with me for eternity. I'm here to attack you! And your religion!
Ah HA HA HA!!!!!(Evil laugh)

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Hold your breath, I'll get it soon (after you drop dead. LOL)
I'll repeat this for you S L O W atheist. I'm not here to give you a way to heaven. I don't want to see any of you there with me for eternity. I'm here to attack you! And your religion!
Ah HA HA HA!!!!!(Evil laugh)
Like I said - just another xtian gasbag.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>That's yet another failure to refute me.

I'll take it you agree with me when I say that the god of the New Testament is communist.
I thought you were an Atheist!
You can't believe that God is a communist and be an atheist.

Talk about not understanding ones faith!

You're a joke!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Why are you frightened to share with us what brand of xtian you are?

I guess your religion teaches you how to be a coward by hiding behind insults.

Are you embarrassed?

Come on, you can do it - don't be a frightened little maggot.
Quote from Khatru:

"Mumbgh umngfcs Jdsv Hjjj jfgvhh bf kgggf ftfd hhhhhkmnv mbbvbm mkkcx"

See he forgot to take his foot out of his mouth! LOL

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Which god are you talking about?

Please be specific.

For all I know, you're a Hindu.
Doesn't matter does it?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>What's pathetic is the way you choose supernatural mumbo jumbo instead of reality.
Those are the numbers puppet boy!

I didn't make them up!

I gave you links many time.

Fact : by your definition 100% of all humans are born Atheist. This is what is claimed by your group right on this thread.

So your atheist faith starts at 100% of all humans. This is your clans claim!
Wikipedia states the the current Atheist population is 2.3%(got to love that)

Insert a little math.

100%- 2.3%= 97.7%(percentage of humans who ran like hell from atheism)

LOL!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Barebacking faux kitty again?!! Gross!
LOL

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter does it?
That was a perfect answer if I ever saw one, lol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>That doesn't belittle Christain faith. Christain faith belittles itself.
You also can't rewrite history, and keep it truth, by claiming that Adolph Hitler wasn't a Christain. There are thousands of pieces of evidence, including his own words that says he was a Christain. That specific churches and religions are now embarrsassed by it, doesn't change that in the 1930's and 40's Hiltler was a Christain acting as the Christain leader, of a Christain country.
Now that he is dead, all the religitards wan't to change his religion, but that is not possible. Say what you will, the truth stays the same. Adolph Hitler was a Catholic Christain!
Google: Gott Mit Uns
The German words, "Gott Mit Uns" means God With Us and appeared on Nazi soldiers belt buckles during WWII.
Insert moron proof here ---> "You also can't rewrite history, and keep it truth, by claiming that Adolph Hitler wasn't a Christain"

There ya go! Another Moron!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>No, I don't know that. What evidence is there that Hitler was not a Christian? That he was a murderous psychopath? Some quotations?

If I want to point the finger at the Christian faith using Nazi Germany, I point to the German clergy and the German people, not Hitler. I could stipulate to Hitler being a non-Christian, and the picture is still abysmal for Christianity.

The claim has never been that Christianity made Hitler evil, which is the implied claim when theists point at him and other psychopathic heads of personality cults like Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot. The claim is that Christianity as an ethical system failed in Nazi Germany as it did everywhere else it has been put to the test.

Arguing over whether Hitler was a Christian or not is merely a distraction. Do you think that Christianity is off the hook for its role in the human catastrophe that was Nazi Germany - even if it were only a permissive and facilitative role - if it can be shown that Hitler was not a Christian?

Germany was Christian. Nearly the entire country acquired its moral fiber from the Christian church and Christian culture, just like Hitler. Under the duress of military humiliation and depression, Germany welcomed and supported a man like Hitler. When it was needed most, as usual, Christianity failed again as an ethical system. Humanist would have performed better.

I have no doubt that if the people posting as skeptics on this thread characterized the German people instead - that is, if Germany embodied the humanist values of people like Hedonist, Serpent, Khatru, and Chess Juror off the top of my head - there would have been no Holocaust. None of them would have accepted what a Christian nation embraced.

I said that Christianity failed as an ethical system in Nazi Germany as it always has when put to the test. It failed in colonial Salem, and it failed in modern America again in 2004, an unconscionable election outcome involving Bush, the Christian clergy and the Christian masses. The American people "re-elected" a reprobate on the advice of their priests, pastors and ministers, even when it was clear by 2004 that Bush had lied them into war, given huge tax breaks to the wealthy on the backs of the poor and middle classes, was using the Constitution as toilet paper, had outed a CIA operative and was sanctioning torture in all our our names. Humanists typically rejected that - I sure did - whereas Christians typically embraced it.

We need communities with stronger moral fiber than this, and I believe that the values of humanism as replacements for Christian values can do this better than any other course of action.
"No, I don't know that. What evidence is there that Hitler was not a Christian? That he was a murderous psychopath? Some quotations?"

You're kidding right?

Super DOLT alert.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

[found within the page]:

“Legal and social discrimination against atheists in some places may lead some to deny or conceal their atheism due to fears of persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities, more so than Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians, and other groups. Many of the respondents associated atheism with immorality, including criminal behaviour, extreme materialism, and elitism.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

[found under “geographic distribution” section]:

“While there are more atheists than ever before as global population continually increases, the atheist percentage of the total population seem to be declining.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>Prove it - otherwise, you're just boring everyone.
So you're bored, hopefully to death.

Bye now.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Percentage declining because of much higher birth rates in theocratic (Muslim) nations.

Sigh obfuscate much?

Guess what there are more toilet scrubbers like you compared to heart surgeons. Should one say that make toilet scrubbers like you superior to heart surgeons?

Bottom line the cream rises to the top.
derek4 wrote:
[found under “geographic distribution” section]:
“While there are more atheists than ever before as global population continually increases, the atheist percentage of the total population seem to be declining.”
KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>I know he doesn't exist - he's as unprovable as the tooth fairy is to a child.

Yet because you believe he exists, I prefer to take the fight to you and beat you on your home ground. You xtians make it so easy.

So, what brand of xtian are you anyway?

Mormon? Protestant? Catholic? Greek Orthodox? Jehovah's Witness? Unitarian?
"I know he doesn't exist"

Mind letting the rest of the world see your proof of no God?

Oh yes I thought so, just more crap flowing from an atheist.

Please explain why anyone should even read your crap when you proven yourself to be a fool with statements like that one?

KJV

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Do you also really love all the killings in the Bible that your god carries out?
So you believe the bible and that God carried out killings. You do know that you are not an atheist then?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,181 - 2,200 of11,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••