Don't dictate beliefs

Sep 5, 2012 Full story: The Star Press 11,175

No one else can say otherwise? That is basically saying those who do "believe in God" are better? Hardly.

Full Story

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#2209 Oct 3, 2012
Faith 'good for your health'

Being a practising Christian is good for your health, according to a report by a group of doctors, because it makes you happier and more optimistic.

April 28, 2011

Based on evidence from over 1,200 studies and 400 reviews, they say: "The overwhelming majority of scientific studies highlight the positive health benefits of faith, including protection from illness, coping with illness, and faster recovery from it."

The report, Health Benefits of Christian Faith, was put together by Dr Alex Bunn and Dr David Randall of the Christian Medical Fellowship.

They highlighted one study which showed regular churchgoers had life expectancy up to 14 years longer than those who did not attend services.

Health benefits include an increased sense of well-being, hope and optimism; lower rates of depression and suicide; less loneliness and less alcohol and drug abuse.

The doctors say their conclusions are backed by Andrew Sims, a former president of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, who lamented the lack of attention that was given to the health benefits of faith.

"For anything other than religion and spirituality, governments and health providers would be doing their utmost to promote it," they quoted him as saying.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/...

[LOL ~ All those Sundays we wasted in church?]

Location hidden

#2210 Oct 3, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Link or it didn't happen?
So if there is no link on the web for something then it didn't happen?
Is this your claim?
Right. My dog's name is Benjamin, but I don't think there's a link on the web to prove it, lol.

Location hidden

#2211 Oct 3, 2012
Feb 24, 2010

Health Benefit of Believing God Cares About You

A new study from chaplains George Fitchett and Patricia Murphy of the Rush University Medical Center found that clinically depressed people who believe in a personal and caring God respond better to medical treatment for their illness than do those who don’t believe in a concerned God.
As Murphy, who’s also a professor of religion, health, and human values at Rush, notes:

The positive response to medication had little to do with the feeling of hope that typically accompanies spiritual belief. It was tied specifically to the belief that a Supreme Being cared.
For people diagnosed with clinical depression, medication certainly plays an important role in reducing symptoms. But when treating persons diagnosed with depression, clinicians need to be aware of the role of religion in their patients’ lives. It is an important resource in planning their care.
http://www.scienceandreligiontoday.com/2010/0...

Location hidden

#2212 Oct 3, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
In America, 3500 — 4000 churches close their doors each year.( www.barna.org )
Churches lose an estimated 2,765,000 people each year to nominalism and secularism.(also from the Barna Study)
Usual Sunday church attendance has from dropped from 1,606,00 in 1968 to 881,000 in 2005.( www.churchsociety.org )
Only 21% of Americans attend religious services every week.( www.religioustolerence.org )
The Anglican Church is selling seven church properties on southern Vancouver Island to pay down its deficit. The properties include All Saints Church and St. Columba’s Church in View Royal, St. Alban’s Church and St. Saviour’s Church in Victoria, Brentwood Chapel Hall in Central Saanich, St. Andrew’s Church in Cowichan and All Saints Church Hall in Crofton.(" http://www.standfirminfaith.com/... ;)
Statistics reported by the Episcopal Church show active baptized members of the denomination that claimed more than 3.5 million members in the mid-1960s shrunk to 1.9 million at the end of 2010.(" http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_192417... ;)
Yes, I saw some of those, Hedonist. There are some links I posted about church growth. But there are also links like the ones you found which show declines in the broader picture.

You know, the Bible tells us that during the end times, people will fall away from the faith, and the world will get worse and more evil, so we recognize that Bible prophesy is in the making.

As for this part in your post: "Only 21% of Americans attend religious services every week." - well, that's unfortunate, since more Americans could live longer, healthier lives if they had a belief in God. Our scientists and medical researchers have told us that. It's supported by studies and evidence I've posted earlier today with links.

Location hidden

#2213 Oct 3, 2012
Oh yes, and EVEN people in the UK would even have a better chance of living longer, healthier lives if they had a belief in God. LOL

Since: Mar 11

United States

#2214 Oct 3, 2012
Unable to show proof? Check.
Ad Hom attack trying to redirect from said failure?
Check.

Loser Christhole goes down like his daughter at a motley crew concert? Check.

I humbly accept your surrender. So as I have proven churches are closing down left and right so is it any mystery why they are attacking non believers?
derek4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I lose nothing, lmao
What is it you're winning? As*hole of the month award?(I thought so.)

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#2215 Oct 3, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Again an atheist is lying.
Stop the presses!!!
LOL
Fricking atheist puppet,
You faith is collapsing and you're in panic mode.
Still waiting for this proof you claim to have.

This is the best you can do?

You're just another xtian gasbag.

Nottingham, UK

#2216 Oct 3, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
No need, your own words reveals you bumbling rambling or nonsense.
Anyone can see through your lost faith.
Atheist all over and on this thread INSIST that all humans are born Atheist. While I agree with many that this is ludicrous, Atheist what to claim all humans are born atheist this is to getting people use to atheism in hopes people will become more comfortable with it and let their guard down.
Well using their (Atheist) definition on atheist, "all humans are born atheist"
Using this and Wikipedia numbers on current percentage of living humans that are atheist in the world today. We see where this faith is headed.
(Yes it is a faith because you have no proof that God does not exist, hence Faith, "see Religion")
100% of people living today were (according to atheist) at one time were Atheist. Today 2.3% of the population of the world is today Atheist.
They (Atheist) lost 97.7% of their followers.
Theist started out with 0% of human population and today 97.7% are Theist world wide.
Puppet man the fact say you're losing!
And those numbers make you look line a bigger fool the You already are.
That's yet another failure to refute me.

I'll take it you agree with me when I say that the god of the New Testament is communist.

Nottingham, UK

#2217 Oct 3, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"I know he doesn't exist - he's as unprovable as the tooth fairy is to a child."
There is the old open mouth insert foot phrase!
You can't make this stuff up!
Thanks I needed a good laugh today.
What a Dolt!!
Why are you frightened to share with us what brand of xtian you are?

I guess your religion teaches you how to be a coward by hiding behind insults.

Are you embarrassed?

Come on, you can do it - don't be a frightened little maggot.

Nottingham, UK

#2218 Oct 3, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
News flash to puppet boy.
Everything was made by God
He owns it all, he makes the rules!
Not you bucko!
Which god are you talking about?

Please be specific.

For all I know, you're a Hindu.

Nottingham, UK

#2219 Oct 3, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that they have no foundation for the crazy claims. But their claims are I guess suppose to bother us, and bring shame on us.
They fail to realize BS is just plan old BS and does not mean squat.
Talking to yourself?

Nottingham, UK

#2220 Oct 3, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll say it again.
I didn't do that they did it to them selfs!
"themselves"

Must I correct you in spelling as well as in your choice of invisible sky pixie?

Nottingham, UK

#2221 Oct 3, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
2.3%. LOL
You lost 97.7% of you membership do you have any idea how pathetic that is?
Close the doors your finished! LOL
Stick a fork in it, it's done! LOL
What's pathetic is the way you choose supernatural mumbo jumbo instead of reality.

Nottingham, UK

#2222 Oct 3, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
And you're lying for Satan!
LOL. 2,3%. LOL
I notice you don't deny your lies.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#2223 Oct 4, 2012
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
I gotcha back girl.
Barebacking faux kitty again?!! Gross!

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#2224 Oct 4, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You're stretching it a bit.
I know I have said some way better shit
Then that!!
Oh and Adolf Hitler was not a Christian.
But you knew that. You just keep pushing Hitler as a Christian because you think that will belittle the Christian faith.
That doesn't belittle Christain faith. Christain faith belittles itself.
You also can't rewrite history, and keep it truth, by claiming that Adolph Hitler wasn't a Christain. There are thousands of pieces of evidence, including his own words that says he was a Christain. That specific churches and religions are now embarrsassed by it, doesn't change that in the 1930's and 40's Hiltler was a Christain acting as the Christain leader, of a Christain country.
Now that he is dead, all the religitards wan't to change his religion, but that is not possible. Say what you will, the truth stays the same. Adolph Hitler was a Catholic Christain!
Google: Gott Mit Uns
The German words, "Gott Mit Uns" means God With Us and appeared on Nazi soldiers belt buckles during WWII.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#2225 Oct 4, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that's funny.
Thanks.

Fennario

#2226 Oct 4, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
Oh and Adolf Hitler was not a Christian. But you knew that. You just keep pushing Hitler as a Christian because you think that will belittle the Christian faith.
No, I don't know that. What evidence is there that Hitler was not a Christian? That he was a murderous psychopath? Some quotations?

If I want to point the finger at the Christian faith using Nazi Germany, I point to the German clergy and the German people, not Hitler. I could stipulate to Hitler being a non-Christian, and the picture is still abysmal for Christianity.

The claim has never been that Christianity made Hitler evil, which is the implied claim when theists point at him and other psychopathic heads of personality cults like Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot. The claim is that Christianity as an ethical system failed in Nazi Germany as it did everywhere else it has been put to the test.

Arguing over whether Hitler was a Christian or not is merely a distraction. Do you think that Christianity is off the hook for its role in the human catastrophe that was Nazi Germany - even if it were only a permissive and facilitative role - if it can be shown that Hitler was not a Christian?

Germany was Christian. Nearly the entire country acquired its moral fiber from the Christian church and Christian culture, just like Hitler. Under the duress of military humiliation and depression, Germany welcomed and supported a man like Hitler. When it was needed most, as usual, Christianity failed again as an ethical system. Humanist would have performed better.

I have no doubt that if the people posting as skeptics on this thread characterized the German people instead - that is, if Germany embodied the humanist values of people like Hedonist, Serpent, Khatru, and Chess Juror off the top of my head - there would have been no Holocaust. None of them would have accepted what a Christian nation embraced.

I said that Christianity failed as an ethical system in Nazi Germany as it always has when put to the test. It failed in colonial Salem, and it failed in modern America again in 2004, an unconscionable election outcome involving Bush, the Christian clergy and the Christian masses. The American people "re-elected" a reprobate on the advice of their priests, pastors and ministers, even when it was clear by 2004 that Bush had lied them into war, given huge tax breaks to the wealthy on the backs of the poor and middle classes, was using the Constitution as toilet paper, had outed a CIA operative and was sanctioning torture in all our our names. Humanists typically rejected that - I sure did - whereas Christians typically embraced it.

We need communities with stronger moral fiber than this, and I believe that the values of humanism as replacements for Christian values can do this better than any other course of action.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#2227 Oct 4, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
News flash to puppet boy.
Everything was made by God
He owns it all, he makes the rules!
Not you bucko!
Prove it - otherwise, you're just boring everyone.

Fennario

#2228 Oct 4, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
We are told how your god has his hand in human matters
Langoliers wrote:
You've not been listening. God does not interfere in human life's.
I have been listening - most of my life. Here's what Jerry Falwell said to Pat Robertson on television about 9/11 :

[1] "And, I know that I'll hear from them for this. But, throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the Pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way - all of them who have tried to secularize America - I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.' " - Jerry Falwell

[2] Robertson responded: "Well, I totally concur ... We have insulted God at the highest level of our government. Then, we say,'Why does this happen?' It is happening because God Almighty is lifting His protection from us. Once that protection is gone, we are vulnerable because we are a free society." - Pat Robertson

Robertson is not only condemning what he feel is American impiety, he seems to also be taking a poke at the vulnerability of being "a free society."

Anyway, men like that define Christian dogma for millions of American, who believe that the Christian god smites man periodically.
floods, fire, earthquakes, tsunamis and the like, and that he is angry
Langoliers wrote:
I thought you were an atheist? LOL
You believe this? "floods, fire, earthquakes, tsunamis and the like, and that he is angry" LOL. What a Fool.
Only a fool would believe that? I don't believe that. Christians do. The most prominent and influential Christians with the biggest and loudest pulpits say things like that, as I just demonstrated.
Look how well that worked for you. You have made atheists the most despised subset of people in America, and driven us into the closet.
Langoliers wrote:
I didn't do that they did it to them selfs!
I meant "you" in the collective sense - second person plural. And no, atheists are not responsible for the intense atheophobia in America. Christians like the two men named above are, as well as the people that penned these words, all of which have been heard and read by millions or billions:

[3] "The fool says in his heart,'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good" - Psalm 14:1

[4] "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." - Revelation 21:8

[5]“No, I don’t know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.”– George H. W. Bush

In these quotes, freethinkers are called unpatriotic, unfit citizens, corrupt, vile, bereft of goodness, the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers, and appropriate for eternal torture according to the judgment of a perfectly just and loving god. No wonder we are so despised. Who could endure that kind of bad press for millennia and not be?

If freethinkers were to characterize Christians like this for a few decades, you would be just as reviled as we are now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 21 min woodtick57 2,288
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 40 min KiMare 232,911
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 3 hr Mikko 2
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 3 hr Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 4 hr Thinking 3
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 10 hr _Bad Company 143
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 23 hr polymath257 23,199
More from around the web