First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#1 Nov 8, 2013
http://www.examiner.com/article/christian-hom...

The late Christopher Hitchens would often say that religion makes people do evil things.

Looks like he was right.

"Hana’s death was consistent with a corporal punishment style advocated by many Christian extremists, and memorialized in the controversial book, To Train Up A Child. According to reports, Hana was beaten and starved as part of a regimen of corporal punishment subscribed to by many Christian homeschoolers and other Christian fundamentalists."

And the god of the bible wants these poor kids to honour their evil scummy parents.

What a warped and twisted morality.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#2 Nov 8, 2013
Khatru wrote:
http://www.examiner.com/articl e/christian-homeschoolers-rece ive-maximum-jail-time-for-deat h-of-child
The late Christopher Hitchens would often say that religion makes people do evil things.
Looks like he was right.
"Hana’s death was consistent with a corporal punishment style advocated by many Christian extremists, and memorialized in the controversial book, To Train Up A Child. According to reports, Hana was beaten and starved as part of a regimen of corporal punishment subscribed to by many Christian homeschoolers and other Christian fundamentalists."
And the god of the bible wants these poor kids to honour their evil scummy parents.
What a warped and twisted morality.
Religion didn't "make" them do anything.

All kinds of people kill, rape, torture, etc., with or without advice from religion.

I won't bother to cite the millions of cases.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3 Nov 8, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion didn't "make" them do anything.
All kinds of people kill, rape, torture, etc., with or without advice from religion.
I won't bother to cite the millions of cases.
Creationist apologist can't avoid the damage his cult creates in the world.

Your cult created Hitler after all...

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#4 Nov 8, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion didn't "make" them do anything.
All kinds of people kill, rape, torture, etc., with or without advice from religion.
I won't bother to cite the millions of cases.
.

I take your point and I fully accept that religion or no religion, people will still kill.

Trouble is, make it holy and people believe what they are doing is divinely sanctioned. Although, if Jesus is for real, then I wonder what he would think about such insanity being carried out in his name.

The child was adopted; which beggars the question what were the adoption agency doing letting them have the child in the first place?

Perhaps they just said they were good Christians - that goes a long way in the Bible Belt.

"The New York Times reports that the couple's abusive parenting tactics mimicked instructions from the Christian parenting book. Evidence presented at trial indicated Carri Williams had repeatedly beaten Hana with a plastic tube - a device recommended in the book.

To Train Up A Child advocates using a plumbing tool to beat children with starting at age one. The book also advocates giving children cold water baths, putting children outside in cold weather, and forcing them to miss meals, as well as beating them; all of which exemplifies the abuse investigators said Hana endured.

The book is also linked to the deaths of at least two other children, four-year-old Sean Paddock of North Carolina and seven year-old Lydia Schatz of California. In each case, punishment techniques advocated by the controversial Christian parenting manual were used."

Suffer the little children, right enough.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#5 Nov 8, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>.
I take your point and I fully accept that religion or no religion, people will still kill.
Trouble is, make it holy and people believe what they are doing is divinely sanctioned. Although, if Jesus is for real, then I wonder what he would think about such insanity being carried out in his name.
The child was adopted; which beggars the question what were the adoption agency doing letting them have the child in the first place?
Perhaps they just said they were good Christians - that goes a long way in the Bible Belt.
"The New York Times reports that the couple's abusive parenting tactics mimicked instructions from the Christian parenting book. Evidence presented at trial indicated Carri Williams had repeatedly beaten Hana with a plastic tube - a device recommended in the book.
To Train Up A Child advocates using a plumbing tool to beat children with starting at age one. The book also advocates giving children cold water baths, putting children outside in cold weather, and forcing them to miss meals, as well as beating them; all of which exemplifies the abuse investigators said Hana endured.
The book is also linked to the deaths of at least two other children, four-year-old Sean Paddock of North Carolina and seven year-old Lydia Schatz of California. In each case, punishment techniques advocated by the controversial Christian parenting manual were used."
Suffer the little children, right enough.
Freddy Garcia was a drug addict who decided to give his life to following Jesus. Through his Christian motivations he led hundreds of people out of drug addiction.

Charles Brace walked the streets of New York. Motivated by his Christian beliefs, he began constructing a home for orphans. Eventually he placed 91,000 in homes.

A small Christian church in New England decided to challenge members to adopt special needs children. Over 100 hard to place children were adopted, one couple adopting 10.

Your story is an attempt to indict the christian religion by people of bad faith. That's not a reference to religious faith; it simply means the authors of the article are dishonest propagandists. They lack character and integrity, whether or not they have any religious belief.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#6 Nov 8, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Freddy Garcia was a drug addict who decided to give his life to following Jesus. Through his Christian motivations he led hundreds of people out of drug addiction.
Charles Brace walked the streets of New York. Motivated by his Christian beliefs, he began constructing a home for orphans. Eventually he placed 91,000 in homes.
A small Christian church in New England decided to challenge members to adopt special needs children. Over 100 hard to place children were adopted, one couple adopting 10.
Your story is an attempt to indict the christian religion by people of bad faith. That's not a reference to religious faith; it simply means the authors of the article are dishonest propagandists. They lack character and integrity, whether or not they have any religious belief.
Liars with no proof of god will try to cover up for their cult's crimes against society.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#7 Nov 8, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Freddy Garcia was a drug addict who decided to give his life to following Jesus. Through his Christian motivations he led hundreds of people out of drug addiction.
Charles Brace walked the streets of New York. Motivated by his Christian beliefs, he began constructing a home for orphans. Eventually he placed 91,000 in homes.
A small Christian church in New England decided to challenge members to adopt special needs children. Over 100 hard to place children were adopted, one couple adopting 10.
Your story is an attempt to indict the christian religion by people of bad faith. That's not a reference to religious faith; it simply means the authors of the article are dishonest propagandists. They lack character and integrity, whether or not they have any religious belief.
Fair play

I'd be a liar if I said that I don't react the same way you just have when Christians attempt to blame atheism for the crimes of Stalin.

Having said that, I wonder if those Christians who regularly call for Harry Potter books to be withdrawn will be calling for this book to be banned.

Furthermore, those examples you gave are clearly people who have done great works. Yet, depending on what colour of Christian you are, none of that makes a blind bit of difference when you're judged.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#8 Nov 9, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair play
I'd be a liar if I said that I don't react the same way you just have when Christians attempt to blame atheism for the crimes of Stalin.
Having said that, I wonder if those Christians who regularly call for Harry Potter books to be withdrawn will be calling for this book to be banned.
Furthermore, those examples you gave are clearly people who have done great works. Yet, depending on what colour of Christian you are, none of that makes a blind bit of difference when you're judged.
Yes, Christianity is about judging others, pumping up the ego of insiders against outsiders - "I have something and you don't".

I think we mostly agree. I also think most would be better people if they had never seen a church.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#9 Nov 9, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Christianity is about judging others, pumping up the ego of insiders against outsiders - "I have something and you don't".
I think we mostly agree. I also think most would be better people if they had never seen a church.
I think I need to buy you a beer!

“My hand is over my crotch.”

Since: Jan 10

It's time to put it to use

#10 Nov 11, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion didn't "make" them do anything.
All kinds of people kill, rape, torture, etc., with or without advice from religion.
I won't bother to cite the millions of cases.
Religion may not make people do these things, but religion certainly encourages it, with the exception of Buddhism.
LCNLin

United States

#11 Nov 11, 2013
People in power kill and it matters not if they seem atheists or theists.
History is filled with examples of both

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#12 Nov 11, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
People in power kill and it matters not if they seem atheists or theists.
History is filled with examples of both
You liars have no proof of god and use your mental illness to judge people.

It is a typical creationist propoganda argument to say "people kill people" but actually its religion.

Christianity made hilter into the supremacist he was - its all based on religious lies.

If you lying thiest cowards took your blinkers offs for one second and accepted responsibility for your cults instead of making excuses for them, the world would be a lot less violent and dangerous place.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#13 Nov 11, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Christianity is about judging others, pumping up the ego of insiders against outsiders - "I have something and you don't".
I think we mostly agree. I also think most would be better people if they had never seen a church.
You're cult liar who will say anything in order to get temporary favour.

You'll never manage to convince anyone that jesus rode on the backs of dinosaurs and are stupid for assuming you can lie to atheists, who exposed your fraudulent creationist cult back in 2005
Thinking

UK

#14 Nov 12, 2013
Drug addicts are tedious and self obsessed.
Born agains are tedious and self-obsessed.
Same sh!t, different bucket.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Freddy Garcia was a drug addict who decided to give his life to following Jesus. Through his Christian motivations he led hundreds of people out of drug addiction.
Charles Brace walked the streets of New York. Motivated by his Christian beliefs, he began constructing a home for orphans. Eventually he placed 91,000 in homes.
A small Christian church in New England decided to challenge members to adopt special needs children. Over 100 hard to place children were adopted, one couple adopting 10.
Your story is an attempt to indict the christian religion by people of bad faith. That's not a reference to religious faith; it simply means the authors of the article are dishonest propagandists. They lack character and integrity, whether or not they have any religious belief.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#15 Nov 12, 2013
I can' help but wonder how many children are being abused in a similar manner by "parents" who have read this book. It seems that until a child actually dies, abuses like this receive various levels of toleration, even acceptance.

A person who strikes a child has lost control, and is resorting to mindless barbarism because the planned approach failed. It makes more sense to revise or abandon a plan that doesn't work than to bolster it with violence and abuse.

When will parents learn to refrain from hitting their children?
Thinking

UK

#16 Nov 12, 2013
When they stop getting sexually aroused by violence to children.
NightSerf wrote:
When will parents learn to refrain from hitting their children?

“Shoot for the stars”

Since: Dec 10

Planet Earth

#17 Nov 12, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Drug addicts are tedious and self obsessed.
Born agains are tedious and self-obsessed.
Same sh!t, different bucket.
<quoted text>
Exactly!!! Worse than an alcoholic is an alcoholic who found Jeezus.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#18 Nov 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
When they stop getting sexually aroused by violence to children.
<quoted text>
I suspect it has more to do with anger than arousal. When I get a chance, which is rare, I suggest that parents try to remember what they were feeling when they hit their kids. Most will admit that they had lost their tempers or were frustrated at being on the losing end of a contest of wills if I can get them to look deeply enough. It's hard to accept that "because I say so" works so little of the time, that coherent explanations are required even by very young children if they are to change their ways of thinking and behaving.

It all goes back to my basic thesis that the burden of proof in an argument always falls on the person who wants to change others' viewpoints. It's even true with parents and children.
LCNLin

United States

#19 Nov 13, 2013
Earth Child 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly!!! Worse than an alcoholic is an alcoholic who found Jeezus.
or Richard Dawkins who comes out as an agnostic
Thinking

UK

#20 Nov 13, 2013
A lot of anger comes from religion perverting sexuality and the cognitive dissonance that results.
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>I suspect it has more to do with anger than arousal. When I get a chance, which is rare, I suggest that parents try to remember what they were feeling when they hit their kids. Most will admit that they had lost their tempers or were frustrated at being on the losing end of a contest of wills if I can get them to look deeply enough. It's hard to accept that "because I say so" works so little of the time, that coherent explanations are required even by very young children if they are to change their ways of thinking and behaving.
It all goes back to my basic thesis that the burden of proof in an argument always falls on the person who wants to change others' viewpoints. It's even true with parents and children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 6 min _Bad Company 212
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 49 min thetruth 16
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 57 min woodtick57 2,622
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr KiMare 233,182
Pastor who gave up God for a year after getting... 3 hr Carchar king 2
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 3 hr Carchar king 172
God' existence 3 hr Carchar king 90
More from around the web