Atheism's open-door policy

Sep 29, 2009 Full story: Guardian Unlimited 56

Andrew Brown is wrong: atheism isn't about class. Anyone can join our club if they don't believe in God On Friday, Cif belief editor Andrew Brown wrote , "It is entirely possible that Ariane Sherine's book on enjoying an atheist Christmas will sell this Christmas; but come the new year, it won't be found on the bookshelf in the toilet but in ...

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Charleston, SC

#41 Oct 10, 2009
Robert-

Since you are new, I'd like to offer a recap on what atheism means to most of us on the atheist forum. Many, including dome lexicographers, think that it means a belief that no God, god, or goddesses exist, but it's really a lack of faith that He or they do. There are a few here who are so absolutely convinced that none can possibly exist, but they are a tiny minority. Most of us view it as an unproven improbability. Dictionaries disagree, but we think that they reflect a Christian bias, that only atheists can define the word to describe us, and that lexicographers will eventually catch up.

My own view is that from a religious point of view, people can be either believers or skeptics, i.e. agnostics. Believers can be theists or those absolute atheists, and, while they have rational bases and rationales for their beliefs, neither is open to persuasion via rational argument. Agnostics, on the other hand, fall into three basic categories: rational theists, who acknowledge that God's existence is not certain but decide to believe anyway; skeptics, who also acknowledge that uncertainty and regard the matter as an open question; and atheists, who view gods' existence as so improbable as to approximate certain nonexistence.

I hope you find this helpful.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Charleston, SC

#42 Oct 10, 2009
Oops--make that "some lexicographers."

“PARADOX”

Since: Sep 08

Moon

#43 Oct 11, 2009
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Salaam Blessed Lunatic Wiseman....
It is not a good word, this atheism. For it should not exist. So which is more stubborn the donkey or the baboon? Or are they equal? Or are they like elephants with tails and snouts walking through the city, driving through the desert, flying in the clouds....?
It is that dark box that one seeks to know what is within it....And so we cannot decide if there is something or not something within the darkness. So we should keep our minds open to both possibilities. And that is the hard part for one exists, or one does not exist....To be both is quantum thinking....
Robert
The dearest Robert on the Earth!
Greetings;

Suppose I'm a baboon in my office you're looking at me!
I'm jumping from a tree to the others chasing a lost tail!!!

Looking at me with your open mouth,you may derive several concepts according to my "limits".
1)He(male!!!)
2)is(??)
3)a(singular)
4)baboon!(a lovely one with a lost tail!!)

An Important Note:
I'm a handsome white baboon looking like Michael Kane!!

Now;look at the sentence below(a proposition you may think about):

"He is a baboon!"

I know the meaning of "I" as well as the "baboon"!
What I don't know is the meaning of "is"(:am) who intervenes between baboon and me!!

I guess "am" is a wonderful nomen who relates a baboon to me!
Without the "am" there wouldn't be neither me nor the baboon!

Well;have a break!

Looking at you I may say:
"WAW;what a wonderful truth seeker he is!".

The same problem emerges here.

I try to know the meaning of
WAW,
what,
a,
wonderful,
truth-seeker
and he!

But what is "is",relating between these different phenomena!?

Are there any differences between the is in the first sentence and the is in the last?!

I guess this nonsense "nosy"(I mean the nosy nonsense "is")is the same "am" who is reported in this verse:
"God Almighty intervenes between man and his heart!"(Quran/8:24)

I think Jesus was in his Father,his Father was in him,for such a nonsense nosy one bothered him wherever he turned;...even when he decided to go to the toilet!!!!!!!!!

Yours/"Blessed Lunatic Wiseman"(the nonsense/serious/humorous)!!

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#44 Oct 11, 2009
NightSerf wrote:
Robert-
Since you are new, I'd like to offer a recap on what atheism means to most of us on the atheist forum. Many, including dome lexicographers, think that it means a belief that no God, god, or goddesses exist, but it's really a lack of faith that He or they do. There are a few here who are so absolutely convinced that none can possibly exist, but they are a tiny minority. Most of us view it as an unproven improbability. Dictionaries disagree, but we think that they reflect a Christian bias, that only atheists can define the word to describe us, and that lexicographers will eventually catch up.
My own view is that from a religious point of view, people can be either believers or skeptics, i.e. agnostics. Believers can be theists or those absolute atheists, and, while they have rational bases and rationales for their beliefs, neither is open to persuasion via rational argument. Agnostics, on the other hand, fall into three basic categories: rational theists, who acknowledge that God's existence is not certain but decide to believe anyway; skeptics, who also acknowledge that uncertainty and regard the matter as an open question; and atheists, who view gods' existence as so improbable as to approximate certain nonexistence.
I hope you find this helpful.
Hello NightSerf

Thank you for your viewpoint. I am not in tune with the agnostic position....kind of an either/or proposition toward the existence of God.

I have started reading some books on atheism to better understand the rather wide open approach reason and creativity can combine....

Robert

Location hidden

#45 Oct 11, 2009
Blessed Lunatic Wiseman wrote:
<quoted text>
The dearest Robert on the Earth!
Greetings;
Suppose I'm a baboon in my office you're looking at me!
I'm jumping from a tree to the others chasing a lost tail!!!
Looking at me with your open mouth,you may derive several concepts according to my "limits".
1)He(male!!!)
2)is(??)
3)a(singular)
4)baboon!(a lovely one with a lost tail!!)
An Important Note:
I'm a handsome white baboon looking like Michael Kane!!
Now;look at the sentence below(a proposition you may think about):
"He is a baboon!"
I know the meaning of "I" as well as the "baboon"!
What I don't know is the meaning of "is"(:am) who intervenes between baboon and me!!
I guess "am" is a wonderful nomen who relates a baboon to me!
Without the "am" there wouldn't be neither me nor the baboon!
Well;have a break!
Looking at you I may say:
"WAW;what a wonderful truth seeker he is!".
The same problem emerges here.
I try to know the meaning of
WAW,
what,
a,
wonderful,
truth-seeker
and he!
But what is "is",relating between these different phenomena!?
Are there any differences between the is in the first sentence and the is in the last?!
I guess this nonsense "nosy"(I mean the nosy nonsense "is")is the same "am" who is reported in this verse:
"God Almighty intervenes between man and his heart!"(Quran/8:24)
I think Jesus was in his Father,his Father was in him,for such a nonsense nosy one bothered him wherever he turned;...even when he decided to go to the toilet!!!!!!!!!
Yours/"Blessed Lunatic Wiseman"(the nonsense/serious/humorous)!!
Salaam Blessed Lunatic Wiseman

"Actually believing" is a part of "is"....It gives license to that opinion....

Even Jesus believed he is a part of god, and god a part of him....

In a truth seeker, one must remember that truth is actually believing...,(that truth is real), when it may (and probably is) just the opinion of someone else....

Do you know what is the black box? What is inside the black box? Is it real? Is it an opinion?
Whatever the case one might be true, or not. And the other is just opinion....

Robert....Glad to see a fellow truth seeker....

Location hidden

#46 Oct 11, 2009
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes...bacon and tomato samm'iches.
Especially with hand-picked, vine-ripened tomatoes..... with juice-in.
And thick-cut, peppered bacon. I use a roasting pan in the oven (350)-- de-greases the bacon a bit, and cooks however many pieces I want all at once, no turning needed.
Then, some Romanio lettuce, a bit'o' miracle whip or lite mayo on some whole-wheat.
For extra enjoyment, I add some very thinly sliced extra sharp NY style cheddar cheese.
Of course? None of those will be in Heaven-- you have to go to hell to get a really good bacon, lettuce and tomato samm'ich.
Just like chocolate-- bacon is a "sin".
:ROFL:
Nothing like a good BLT..., I use Hellmans Mayo.
So it looks like a good brunch for tomorrow....

Robert

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#47 Oct 12, 2009
Publius2 wrote:
Maybe she's a 'fundie' atheist...OMG, they are a religion!
You couldn't be any more repulsive or less likable if you were doing it on purpose.

Listen to this, shit-fer-brains: YOU are in a religion. You are the religitard. Yet you try to insult atheists by calling us that which you call yourselves willingly because you assume that you can offend us that way, because you simply mean to be offensive, no matter how stupid you have to be to do it. And that makes you an offensive piece of troll snot, which makes you nauseating, too.

You are not offensive, because your opinion is inconsequential, as are you. What you are is repulsive. Like the smell of vomit.

Fennario

#48 Oct 12, 2009
Publius2 wrote:
Now that we've seen Atheism's open-door policy, here's the real deal: Jesus said, "I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture." John 10:9
I wipe my ass with your holy scripture. So thanks, PubicLouse2. I'll go print this one out right away, because I feel the need to push to pass a rolling brown-out policy through now. Logging out now. On Jesus.

And any time you want baby Jesus demeaned with blasphemy and sacrilege, just let me know by quoting your bible, OK, bush parasite?

Fennario

#49 Jan 21, 2013
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#50 Jan 21, 2013
Omnishambles!
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =cwyfPt2YO7cXX
Siro

Australia

#51 Jan 21, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Omnishambles!
<quoted text>
Atheists have open door policies?
What about your open bum policy?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#52 Jan 21, 2013
GFY, identity thieving POS.
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Siro

Australia

#53 Jan 21, 2013
Thinking wrote:
GFY, identity thieving POS.
<quoted text>
I bet you bend over backwards to give people what they want
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#54 Jan 21, 2013
Stop grooming me. I'm not interested.
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you bend over backwards to give people what they want

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#55 Jan 21, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the dingo ate your baby.
Mr Smartypants

Minneapolis, MN

#56 Jan 27, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
No, closeted latent homosexual Christ-stains like yourself will have to seek each other out for anal satisfaction. Seriously, troll, your asinine posts are actually helping the atheist cause so please keep up the good work, jackass.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min ChristineM 230,990
Evidence for God! 47 min scaritual 44
Heaven 3 hr _Bad Company 43
Our world came from nothing? 6 hr Carchar king 1,104
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 7 hr fadu singh 23,043
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 14 hr Hooogle It 77
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Thu Ooogah Boogah 14,391

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE