Atheism's open-door policy

Sep 29, 2009 Full story: Guardian Unlimited 56

Andrew Brown is wrong: atheism isn't about class. Anyone can join our club if they don't believe in God On Friday, Cif belief editor Andrew Brown wrote , "It is entirely possible that Ariane Sherine's book on enjoying an atheist Christmas will sell this Christmas; but come the new year, it won't be found on the bookshelf in the toilet but in ...

Full Story
NotBuyingIt

Mesa, AZ

#21 Oct 8, 2009
Publius2 wrote:
Now that we've seen Atheism's open-door policy, here's the real deal: Jesus said, "I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture." John 10:9
Yeah, but it seems jesus forgot to mention a time limit on his offer...and it was (maybe) 2000 years ago.

Luke 13:25 "When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are"

How can we be certain jesus' offer still stands... when is this deadline anyway? When does the master shut the door exactly. 2000 years later and the same 'warning' is *still* bellowed?
NotBuyingIt

Mesa, AZ

#22 Oct 8, 2009
Wait... let me guess...

'Soon, very soon'

Am I right?
nina

Ottawa, Canada

#23 Oct 8, 2009
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
... simply because to qualify as "kosher" the food **has**....
yes, I nearly gave the manager of a local food store a heart attack

when I pointed out that by putting meat that was kosher in the same cooler as bacon and ham, it would no longer be considered kosher

it's a lot of effort to be kosher - you have to have 2 fridges, 2 stoves, 2 sets of pots and pans

you have to store, prepare and consume food types separately
Publius2

Chico, CA

#24 Oct 8, 2009
NotBuyingIt wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, but it seems jesus forgot to mention a time limit on his offer...and it was (maybe) 2000 years ago.
Luke 13:25 "When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are"
How can we be certain jesus' offer still stands... when is this deadline anyway? When does the master shut the door exactly. 2000 years later and the same 'warning' is *still* bellowed?
"For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call." - Acts 2:39 The offer still stands.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#25 Oct 8, 2009
NotBuyingIt wrote:
Wait... let me guess...
'Soon, very soon'
Am I right?
lol....you are right!

Robert

Location hidden

#26 Oct 8, 2009
Basically I am new to atheism, so I am still close to that open-door. As I was very well trained in religion, including Christianity's Protestant and Catholic sects, a bit of Hinduism, and Buddhism(I think it not so much a religion as a philosophy.), as well as Islam, I am very relieved by the rather simpler nature has become for me, and also a bit more creative in my own artistic endeavors....

Robert
NotBuyingIt

Mesa, AZ

#27 Oct 8, 2009
Publius2 wrote:
<quoted text>"For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call." - Acts 2:39 The offer still stands.
That's according to peter. Luke is according to Jesus - are you saying peter is of higher authority than jesus?

2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.

Clearly peter is contradicting what jesus says god said. And jesus is part of the divine trinity. Peter was not part of the 'Father, Son, Holy Ghost' thing - right?

But thanks for pointing out this contradiction I had not noticed before. Another for the record... so many to track.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#28 Oct 8, 2009
Publius2 wrote:
<quoted text>"For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call." - Acts 2:39 The offer still stands.
Claims the poster who seems to think *he* is god...!

At least, we infer this, because Pubiclus KEEPS ON SPEAKING ***FOR*** GOD!!!

:ROFL:

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#29 Oct 8, 2009
NotBuyingIt wrote:
But thanks for pointing out this contradiction I had not noticed before. Another for the record... so many to track.
Long ago? I found it was simpler to track the NON-contradictions.

Much shorter list.... except? As new information was uncovered by biblical scholars?

I had to remove items from the list.

The list kept getting shorter and shorter...

Finally? It was even easier: The bible itself is completely contradictory--

That is? A list itemizing the bible's contradictions forms a 1 to 1 correlation between each idea or thought in the bible, and the list of contradictions....
nina

Ottawa, Canada

#30 Oct 9, 2009
Robert F wrote:
...well trained in religion...
trained?

not educated or researched, but trained?

please explain this

Location hidden

#31 Oct 9, 2009
nina wrote:
<quoted text>
trained?
not educated or researched, but trained?
please explain this
consider the word "indocrinated" instead of trained....That can be quite superfluous, or very deep....Mine was deep....

Robert
nina

Ottawa, Canada

#32 Oct 9, 2009
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
consider the word "indocrinated" instead of trained....That can be quite superfluous, or very deep....Mine was deep....
Robert
I assumed deep and indocrinated, I was mostly curious how you would have been so in several faiths

usually, it's just one.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#33 Oct 9, 2009
<quoted text>
Although? I make a point to buy some things that are kosher.
Not because I'm Jewish, or that I think there's a "spiritual" reason.
But, simply because to qualify as "kosher" the food **has** to fall under certain restrictions-- which when examined, you'll find these restrictions often lead to a better quality of food. Often fewer needless additives, among other things.
Some kosher things do taste pretty good, I agree but I could never give up my bacon.
:)
nina

Ottawa, Canada

#34 Oct 9, 2009
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Some kosher things do taste pretty good, I agree but I could never give up my bacon.
I had matso soup for the first time last week

I rather enjoyed it

Location hidden

#35 Oct 9, 2009
nina wrote:
<quoted text>
I assumed deep and indocrinated, I was mostly curious how you would have been so in several faiths
usually, it's just one.
It was my personal search for "truth". I grew up in a science oriented home, and also a religous one. The emphasis was on science. But both seek truth. Emerging from the religous part of my upbringing, has been a long search. I will say that at times I will go into Buddhism, for relaxation. But the monotheistic door has closed behind me now....

Robert

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#36 Oct 9, 2009
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes...bacon and tomato samm'iches.

Especially with hand-picked, vine-ripened tomatoes..... with juice-in.

And thick-cut, peppered bacon. I use a roasting pan in the oven (350)-- de-greases the bacon a bit, and cooks however many pieces I want all at once, no turning needed.

Then, some Romanio lettuce, a bit'o' miracle whip or lite mayo on some whole-wheat.

For extra enjoyment, I add some very thinly sliced extra sharp NY style cheddar cheese.

Of course? None of those will be in Heaven-- you have to go to hell to get a really good bacon, lettuce and tomato samm'ich.

Just like chocolate-- bacon is a "sin".

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#37 Oct 10, 2009
<quoted text>
Yes...bacon and tomato samm'iches.
Especially with hand-picked, vine-ripened tomatoes..... with juice-in.
And thick-cut, peppered bacon. I use a roasting pan in the oven (350)-- de-greases the bacon a bit, and cooks however many pieces I want all at once, no turning needed.
Then, some Romanio lettuce, a bit'o' miracle whip or lite mayo on some whole-wheat.
For extra enjoyment, I add some very thinly sliced extra sharp NY style cheddar cheese.
Of course? None of those will be in Heaven-- you have to go to hell to get a really good bacon, lettuce and tomato samm'ich.
Just like chocolate-- bacon is a "sin".
Thanks Bob, now I have to clean up my keyboard. LOL. I expect that the next time I'm in Tulsa, you'll have one or five of those ready for me.:)

“PARADOX”

Since: Sep 08

Moon

#38 Oct 10, 2009
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
It was my personal search for "truth". I grew up in a science oriented home, and also a religous one. The emphasis was on science. But both seek truth. Emerging from the religous part of my upbringing, has been a long search. I will say that at times I will go into Buddhism, for relaxation. But the monotheistic door has closed behind me now....
Robert
The Dearest Robert in the cosmos!
Greetings;

As I said somewhere else on these threads,I was coming from "Jupiter" riding a "Camel".
But Earthly people deported me to the Moon,my Camel to the Mars!

Since then I'm watching your Earth through my Telescope,
watching the sweating people in their Cars;
sorry I means in their bodies as their Jars!

You're sweating in your Cars fighting each other;
coming at the same time to my eyes by the waves!!

As I see there's no border on your figurative maps;
though you're bordered!

Anyway,reading your posts after several years orbiting around your earth,I didn't find any one to answer my questions!

Answer me please to convert to your....atheism(your new faith?!)!

Suppose there are just three ones shaping the cosmos:

1)There's(:exists)a lovely baboon looking like Al Pacino!!
2)There's(:exists)an honorable human being reading my posts!
3)There's(:exists)an amusing mule pulling the baboons tail!

NOW;
the first parts of the sentences are equal
(we all exist:Al Pacino,you and I)!

Well;
the second parts of the sentences should be equal too;
though we differ!

Tell me please from where does(or do!)our difference(s) enter?
Out of existence?!
Is there any existent out of the existence!?
I mean "without" the existence!!!???

According to Bible:
The one who spoke to Moses just WAS!(Exodus/3:13-14)
According to Quran:
The First Who Is the Last,the Hidden,and the Manifest(Quran/57:3)

Don't run!!
There's no way to run away;
"Wherever you turn,
it is the Allah's Face!!!"(Quran/2:115)

Yours/"Blessed Lunatic Wiseman"(the nonsense/serious/humorous)!

Location hidden

#39 Oct 10, 2009
Blessed Lunatic Wiseman wrote:
<quoted text>
The Dearest Robert in the cosmos!
Greetings;
As I said somewhere else on these threads,I was coming from "Jupiter" riding a "Camel".
But Earthly people deported me to the Moon,my Camel to the Mars!
Since then I'm watching your Earth through my Telescope,
watching the sweating people in their Cars;
sorry I means in their bodies as their Jars!
You're sweating in your Cars fighting each other;
coming at the same time to my eyes by the waves!!
As I see there's no border on your figurative maps;
though you're bordered!
Anyway,reading your posts after several years orbiting around your earth,I didn't find any one to answer my questions!
Answer me please to convert to your....atheism(your new faith?!)!
Suppose there are just three ones shaping the cosmos:
1)There's(:exists)a lovely baboon looking like Al Pacino!!
2)There's(:exists)an honorable human being reading my posts!
3)There's(:exists)an amusing mule pulling the baboons tail!
NOW;
the first parts of the sentences are equal
(we all exist:Al Pacino,you and I)!
Well;
the second parts of the sentences should be equal too;
though we differ!
Tell me please from where does(or do!)our difference(s) enter?
Out of existence?!
Is there any existent out of the existence!?
I mean "without" the existence!!!???
According to Bible:
The one who spoke to Moses just WAS!(Exodus/3:13-14)
According to Quran:
The First Who Is the Last,the Hidden,and the Manifest(Quran/57:3)
Don't run!!
There's no way to run away;
"Wherever you turn,
it is the Allah's Face!!!"(Quran/2:115)
Yours/"Blessed Lunatic Wiseman"(the nonsense/serious/humorous)!
Salaam Blessed Lunatic Wiseman....

It is not a good word, this atheism. For it should not exist. So which is more stubborn the donkey or the baboon? Or are they equal? Or are they like elephants with tails and snouts walking through the city, driving through the desert, flying in the clouds....?

It is that dark box that one seeks to know what is within it....And so we cannot decide if there is something or not something within the darkness. So we should keep our minds open to both possibilities. And that is the hard part for one exists, or one does not exist....To be both is quantum thinking....

Robert
nina

Canada

#40 Oct 10, 2009
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
It was my personal search for "truth".....
Robert
I see

thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 9 min Aura Mytha 227,653
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 17 min CunningLinguist 117
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 43 min Eman 22,268
Stump a theist with 2 questions 55 min Patrick 68
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Patrick 477
Here's a place for Patrick's off-topic articles 4 hr NightSerf 1
Glorify God, our Heavenly Father 4 hr Son of God 1
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE