Atheism's open-door policy

Sep 29, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Guardian Unlimited

Andrew Brown is wrong: atheism isn't about class. Anyone can join our club if they don't believe in God On Friday, Cif belief editor Andrew Brown wrote , "It is entirely possible that Ariane Sherine's book on enjoying an atheist Christmas will sell this Christmas; but come the new year, it won't be found on the bookshelf in the toilet but in ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of56
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
NotBuyingIt

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2009

I really hate how roboblogger finds articles that proliferate stupid a$$ed fundie misconceptions like this.

It infers 'atheism' is a club one needs to be screened before allowed membership.

One only needs to not believe. That's it, nothing more.
Publius2

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2009

NotBuyingIt wrote:
I really hate how roboblogger finds articles that proliferate stupid a$$ed fundie misconceptions like this.
It infers 'atheism' is a club one needs to be screened before allowed membership.
One only needs to not believe. That's it, nothing more.
Uh oh, atheists are fighting atheists...it's the eternal conflict of no belief battling with no belief! It's probably nothing.<eyeroll>
(Ariane Sherine, the author of the article is an atheist). So are you going to join?
Publius2

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe she's a 'fundie' atheist...OMG, they are a religion!

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2009

Publius2 wrote:
Maybe she's a 'fundie' atheist...OMG, they are a religion!
OMG....You're an idiot. There is not now, nor has there ever been nor will there ever be a a day when atheism will be a religion. It is not possible. 1.Remember bald is a hair color. 2.Health is a disease. 3.Atheism is a religion. What is wrong with the above three statements? Answer all are impossible.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2009

Noun: religion [ri-lij-uhn] 1.A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny.
2.An institution to express belief in a divine power."he was raised in the Baptist religion"
WordWeb Pro 5.02

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2009

Everytime believers in god(s) make this claim it only tends to make you think they are illiterate as well as delusional.

I would assert those go hand in hand.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2009

scaritual wrote:
Everytime believers in god(s) make this claim it only tends to make you think they are illiterate as well as delusional.
I would assert those go hand in hand.
It seems almost mandatory.
NotBuyingIt

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2009

Publius2 wrote:
<quoted text>Uh oh, atheists are fighting atheists...it's the eternal conflict of no belief battling with no belief! It's probably nothing.<eyeroll>
(Ariane Sherine, the author of the article is an atheist). So are you going to join?
Uh oh - someone can not comprehend.

Its not fighting, its roboblogger's inability to present articles you fundies can understand but usually ignorantly run with the title.

And your remarks make it clear that you obviously missed/ignored the rest of my post. The meat of the point I made.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2009

Judged:

while atheism is available to anyone, regardless of gender, sex orientation, age, socio-economic and ethnicity

it is not for the weak character or faint of heart

you have to be able to determine morals on your own and stand against the majority.

it's rather like coming out as gay.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

nina wrote:
it's rather like coming out as gay.
Oh Noooos!

Not ....*that*...!

:ROFL:

Somewhere or other, I remember reading about a fellow who would accept a son that was agnostic-- but if the son turned out to be gay? He'd disown him in a second...!

*sigh*

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Charleston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

Atheism is also not for those who are unprepared to face the complexities and the chaos of reality. Religion offers a simpler view of the universe in which everything is organized for the benefit of humankind by a God that can be propitiated or manipulated with prayer and sacrifice. Contrast that with a universe organized only by the laws of physics and an earth that operates on the principles of plate tectonics and evolution, neither of which care in the least whether our species survive, and it's easy to see why so many prefer to hide their heads in the hole that is religion.

That's okay. Not everyone is ready to face the harshness of reality. Some never will be, and their deliberate and obstinate ignorance is quite the annoyance, but it really does us little harm. People who are forced to see too quickly more than their courage can sustain, on the other hand, react unpredictably and often dangerously.

One of Dorothy Parkers more clever quips, on being asked to use "horticulture" in a sentence, was, "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think." Likewise, confronted with the cold glare of sudden reality, most Christians will close their eyes and shrink back into the darkness. Let them. Until they emerge of their own free will, they can do neither us nor themselves any good in the wide, wild world.
NWO

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

I predict there will come an atheiology prophet scaning atheists asses. And Tomkat will join.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
... I remember reading about a fellow who would accept a son that was agnostic-- but if the son turned out to be gay? He'd disown him in a second...!
*sigh*
interesting that agnostic would be more comprehensible to the parent, probably since it doesn't make the offspring be as different as gay would be.

funny, when my partner told her rabbi about me, he wasn't concerned I was also a woman - he was afraid I might be Lutheran though.

Atheist he thought he could work with - Jews are mostly agnostic.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

NightSerf wrote:
Atheism is also not for those who are unprepared to face the complexities and the chaos of reality. Religion offers a simpler view of the universe in which everything is organized for the benefit of humankind by a God ...
makes me wonder why people think The Matrix movie series is a reinforcement of religious themes

when really, it smacks of pro-athiesm to me.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

nina wrote:
<quoted text>
interesting that agnostic would be more comprehensible to the parent, probably since it doesn't make the offspring be as different as gay would be.
funny, when my partner told her rabbi about me, he wasn't concerned I was also a woman - he was afraid I might be Lutheran though.
Atheist he thought he could work with - Jews are mostly agnostic.
I find, if I must choose from among the Abrahamic flavor of believer-- I'd prefer Jewish over the other two, at least 10-to-1.

:)
Publius2

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

Now that we've seen Atheism's open-door policy, here's the real deal: Jesus said, "I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture." John 10:9
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I find, if I must choose from among the Abrahamic flavor of believer-- I'd prefer Jewish over the other two, at least 10-to-1.
:)
yes, smarter, funnier and they aren't interested in recruiting

but non-kosher

I like prawns a lot.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

Publius2 wrote:
Now that we've seen Atheism's open-door policy, here's the real deal: Jesus said, "I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture." John 10:9
you can't see with closed eyes and shut down brain

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

nina wrote:
<quoted text>
yes, smarter, funnier and they aren't interested in recruiting
but non-kosher
I like prawns a lot.
Although? I make a point to buy some things that are kosher.

Not because I'm Jewish, or that I think there's a "spiritual" reason.

But, simply because to qualify as "kosher" the food **has** to fall under certain restrictions-- which when examined, you'll find these restrictions often lead to a better quality of food. Often fewer needless additives, among other things.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

Publius2 wrote:
Jesus never said that-- having never existed as a person, you see.

The author, "John" wrote that fictional passage roughly 60 years ***after*** the supposed events.

SIXTY YEARS.

And you actually have the ARROGANCE to think those words are ACCURATE???

Wow......arrogant, much?

Or...should I say:'hubris'

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of56
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••