40 awkward Questions To Ask A Christian

40 awkward Questions To Ask A Christian

There are 133 comments on the News24 story from Aug 6, 2013, titled 40 awkward Questions To Ask A Christian. In it, News24 reports that:

Awarded after your first article is published on MyNews24. You've got nine more to go to reach the next level! I found this interesting and thought provoking collection of questions that tinker with the religious viewpoint on the world.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#124 Nov 26, 2013
The HoBo wrote:
If their prayers are NOT answered:
Aunt Betty Lou lost her battle with cancer. It must be gods will.
Or often they will say, "God answered my prayers. He said "No."

Interesting that "He said No" and "There is no one there" are functionally the same experience.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#125 Nov 26, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Or often they will say, "God answered my prayers. He said "No."
Interesting that "He said No" and "There is no one there" are functionally the same experience.
Not to mention the fact that in the big book of magic stories, the main character promises that he will give his followers anything they ask for in prayer. Anything at all. No wiggle room, no,'if I think it is good for you', no exceptions or disclaimers at all. So, "No" is completely incompatible with the promises in the Big Magic Book.
Siro

Sydney, Australia

#126 Nov 26, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
You just played a word game yourself.
Don't ask what people would "accept as proof." Just PROVE YOUR GOD EXISTS!
Shouldn't be that hard, right? I mean, assuming he DOES exist?
Yes God does exist.
But unless you give a concrete definition of what you accept as proof you will just refuse to accept anything I put forward as proof.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#127 Nov 26, 2013
siro's says it was OK for his pin up mohammed to **** a six year old.
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
You just played a word game yourself.
Don't ask what people would "accept as proof." Just PROVE YOUR GOD EXISTS!
Shouldn't be that hard, right? I mean, assuming he DOES exist?
Siro

Sydney, Australia

#128 Nov 26, 2013
The HoBo wrote:
Religion is a crutch for weak minds.
If their prayers are answered:
Aunt Betty Lou beat cancer and is going to live!!! Praise god!!
If their prayers are NOT answered:
Aunt Betty Lou lost her battle with cancer. It must be gods will.
I believe in a higher power. I also believe Christians are the most closed minded and ignorant people I've ever met.
Welcome to topix atheism, youll find not all theists here are christians.
Im not one but topix atheists continually call me one and if you hang around long enough theyll call you one too.
There are atheists and then there are topix atheists.
Topix atheists hate you if you have a religion and if you dont and you believe in God they will hate you too.
You believe in a higher power?
Then topix atheists hate you
Youre a buddhist or a jain?
Then topix atheists hate you
You dont worship richard dawkins?
Then topix atheists hate you
Youre not fanatical about gay marriage?
Then topix atheists hate you
Youre not a marxist?
Then topix atheists hate you

As I said, there are atheists and then there are topix atheists
Siro

Sydney, Australia

#129 Nov 26, 2013
Thinking wrote:
siro's says it was OK for his pin up mohammed to **** a six year old.
<quoted text>
Youve called me christian and muslim, do you want to go for the trifecta and call me a jew?

You utter muppet

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#130 Nov 26, 2013
They are like people who predict the end of the world and have to find excuses for why the end did not occur yet.
The HoBo wrote:
Religion is a crutch for weak minds.
If their prayers are answered:
Aunt Betty Lou beat cancer and is going to live!!! Praise god!!
If their prayers are NOT answered:
Aunt Betty Lou lost her battle with cancer. It must be gods will.
I believe in a higher power. I also believe Christians are the most closed minded and ignorant people I've ever met.
What higher power?

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#131 Nov 26, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes God does exist.
But unless you give a concrete definition of what you accept as proof you will just refuse to accept anything I put forward as proof.
Let us try something that can be detected by the five senses. Failing that, we can try things that can be detected by scientific instruments.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#132 Nov 26, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you accept as proof?
I would accept as proof?

You-- being nice to a non-believer for a whole week.

That would be proof of trans-formative grace in a deity.

But I needn't worry; you are incapable of such a task.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#133 Nov 27, 2013
I see that siro accepts his pin up mohammed f**ked a six year old.

Disgusting.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I would accept as proof?
You-- being nice to a non-believer for a whole week.
That would be proof of trans-formative grace in a deity.
But I needn't worry; you are incapable of such a task.
LCNLin

United States

#135 Nov 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I would accept as proof?
You-- being nice to a non-believer for a whole week.
That would be proof of trans-formative grace in a deity.
But I needn't worry; you are incapable of such a task.
81,124 sort of taken over your life?
Dawkins at least has the intelligence to see the agnostic position
Have a good day
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#136 Nov 27, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
81,124 sort of taken over your life?
Dawkins at least has the intelligence to see the agnostic position
Have a good day
He is 6.9 on his scale and consistent and measured in his comments that there is no god(s). You studiously ignore every reply - and you need to as you've got no more proof of gods than of pixies.

You're in good company - Muq, Buck, Siro, NoDoubt, etc - religionists here do much to discredit belief in gods.

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
Truth will out
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#137 Nov 27, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome to topix atheism, youll find not all theists here are christians.
Im not one but topix atheists continually call me one and if you hang around long enough theyll call you one too.
There are atheists and then there are topix atheists.
Topix atheists hate you if you have a religion and if you dont and you believe in God they will hate you too.
You believe in a higher power?
Then topix atheists hate you
Youre a buddhist or a jain?
Then topix atheists hate you
You dont worship richard dawkins?
Then topix atheists hate you
Youre not fanatical about gay marriage?
Then topix atheists hate you
Youre not a marxist?
Then topix atheists hate you
As I said, there are atheists and then there are topix atheists
You should also consider the possibility that people appear to "hate you" because you come across as a f-ing jerk.
LCNLin

United States

#138 Nov 27, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
You should also consider the possibility that people appear to "hate you" because you come across as a f-ing jerk.
dropping the f-bomb.
Don't be modest about your own jerk-ey-ness.
:-)
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#139 Nov 27, 2013
Now that is funny.
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
You should also consider the possibility that people appear to "hate you" because you come across as a f-ing jerk.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#140 Nov 27, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>What higher power?
I believe there has to be a higher power or something.
I.e. The Big Bang theory, if so what blew up? Something had to make what blew up.
Or evolution, what made the first organism? Something had to.

You can't get something from nothing. And you can't get THAT SOMETHING without a higher being/power.

Anyway, that's how I believe. If you or anyone else reading this believe differently, that's fine with me. I'll be the last one to try and change your mind. But I do like discussing this topic.

Btw, how can a priest tell the difference between boys gym shorts and girls gym shorts? They taste different! Lmao

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#141 Nov 27, 2013
The HoBo wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe there has to be a higher power or something.
I.e. The Big Bang theory, if so what blew up? Something had to make what blew up.
Or evolution, what made the first organism? Something had to.
You can't get something from nothing. And you can't get THAT SOMETHING without a higher being/power.
Anyway, that's how I believe. If you or anyone else reading this believe differently, that's fine with me. I'll be the last one to try and change your mind. But I do like discussing this topic.
Btw, how can a priest tell the difference between boys gym shorts and girls gym shorts? They taste different! Lmao
Since you qualify it with both a willingness to discuss it, and a stated intention to *not* proselytize?

I find I can easily respect you and what you choose to believe.

All I have *ever* asked of True Believers™, is that they not force their religious bigotry onto the rest of us.

:)

As for your initial requirement of needing a higher power?

Well.... in quantum physics, we can observe many different phenomena, most of which demonstratively does not have a cause.

That is? At the quantum level of the universe? Everything is probabilistic, and uncaused.

At one point, most cosmology scientists tell us that our present universe was once likely of a quantum size-- i.e. an infinitely small point.

Since it's been demonstrated also, that in a real vacuum: particles spontaneously appear (and also disappear)

It may well be, that in the complete absence of energy/matter? That is an unstable condition, and spontaneously (i.e. without cause) energy *must* appear.

I know I'm not saying it very well-- I'm not a physicist myself. But I do pay attention when real physicists talk (or post on Topix).

And that's the gist of what they have said.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#142 Nov 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Since you qualify it with both a willingness to discuss it, and a stated intention to *not* proselytize?

I find I can easily respect you and what you choose to believe.

All I have *ever* asked of True Believers™, is that they not force their religious bigotry onto the rest of us.

:)

As for your initial requirement of needing a higher power?

Well.... in quantum physics, we can observe many different phenomena, most of which demonstratively does not have a cause.

That is? At the quantum level of the universe? Everything is probabilistic, and uncaused.

At one point, most cosmology scientists tell us that our present universe was once likely of a quantum size-- i.e. an infinitely small point.

Since it's been demonstrated also, that in a real vacuum: particles spontaneously appear (and also disappear)

It may well be, that in the complete absence of energy/matter? That is an unstable condition, and spontaneously (i.e. without cause) energy *must* appear.

I know I'm not saying it very well-- I'm not a physicist myself. But I do pay attention when real physicists talk (or post on Topix).

And that's the gist of what they have said.
I understand what you're saying. I just can not see how something can be made of nothing.
Even if there were no energy or matter just before the beginning of time. How was the vacuum made to exist?

With every example, whether it's evolution or the Big Bang theory or even the christian views. I can't understand how anything can start from nothing.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#143 Nov 27, 2013
Doesn't make it so.
The HoBo wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe there has to be a higher power or something.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#144 Nov 27, 2013
The HoBo wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you're saying. I just can not see how something can be made of nothing.
Happens all the time at the quantum level of our universe.

Stuff just appears from nothing.(and as often as not, disappears in the same way).

Understanding it does not make it not happen.
The HoBo wrote:
Even if there were no energy or matter just before the beginning of time. How was the vacuum made to exist?
I mentioned vacuum experiments-- but in the initial conditions of the big bang, it is thought that there was no space--no universe at all.

Of course, it could just be that the quantum particle that the universe was, had always existed prior to it's sudden expansion.

But speaking of "before the big bang" is without meaning, as time itself did not exist prior to that (as far as we can tell).

That's one hypothesis. The other one is that there is a sort of larger multiverse, wherein there are an infinitiy of universes, ours is but one.

Then the cause of *our* universe is simple-- the cause came from a different universe or perhaps a series of interactions on a larger, multi-universe scale.

There is no need to invoke a "higher power" as that doesn't really answer anything anyway--

-- from hence came the higher power?

If you use special pleading to say "always was" then the universe itself can be "always was" in one shape or another.
The HoBo wrote:
With every example, whether it's evolution or the Big Bang theory or even the christian views. I can't understand how anything can start from nothing.
Nobody is claiming that, except the christians and other theistic types.

The big bang does not say we came from nothing-- it says that at one point, the present universe was infinitely tiny-- a dimensionless point. It does not say anything about "before" that, because that is meaningless. "before" requires time, and time did not exist until the universe began it's current expansion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 36 min ChristineM 13,226
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 43 min Brian_G 31,163
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr ChristineM 255,265
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 2 hr Thinking 4
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 3 hr Arrogant Creatures 17
There are no such things as gods or fairies 7 hr Eagle 12 31
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 9 hr Patrick 4,347
More from around the web