Atheism 101: Negative belief is belie...

Atheism 101: Negative belief is belief nonetheless

There are 4395 comments on the Examiner.com story from Feb 13, 2011, titled Atheism 101: Negative belief is belief nonetheless. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

Do you like this Article? A common claim of many atheists is that atheism is not a belief, but a lack of one.A You can see this claim being debated in the discussion of the article, Atheists: They Exist in Modesto, California! posted on Friendly Atheist .A However, a lack of belief in either a theist or atheist direction is apisticism -someone who ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

First Prev
of 220
Next Last
LCNLin

United States

#4433 Sep 3, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
My favorite argument is.. don’t you want to be sure? Just in case?
My answer is, I am not tossing a virgin in a volcano just to be sure.
I don’t see any religions as any better or more likely than any other.
atheism seems filled with opinions,
often regarded as facts...
xianity is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#4434 Sep 3, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
youve proven that you are too stupid to distinguish between opinion and FACT

and thats a FACT
xianity is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#4435 Sep 3, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
Pope to lead Vatican prayer vigil for peace in Syria
-- On the evening of Sept. 7, days before U.S. lawmakers vote on President Barack Obama's proposal for a military attack on Syria, Pope Francis will lead thousands in St. Peter's Square in a prayer vigil for peace.
"We will gather in prayer and in a spirit of penance, invoking God's great gift of peace upon the beloved nation of Syria and upon each situation of conflict and violence around the world," the pope said Sept. 1, before praying the noon Angelus with a crowd in the square. "Humanity needs to see these gestures of peace and to hear words of hope and peace."
Why doesnt Pope go to Syria directly and tell them to stop killing each other,,my guess is hes got NO balls ..

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#4436 Sep 4, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion IS filled with drooling stupidity... which you and the other godbots gleefully display with virtually every post you make
Big D

Modesto, CA

#4437 Sep 4, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh no... religion is all about opinions and no facts at all.

It is true that I have the opinion that none of the billions of gods man has made up are real. But it is just an opinion, like my opinion that Peter Pan is a fictional character and not actually real, I can’t prove that of course, Peter Pan might be real.

“Putten the SIN ”

Since: Nov 08

back in Wisconsin

#4438 Sep 6, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know that Chuck Norris sleeps with a pillow underneath his gun??

ITS A FACT!!
Big D

Modesto, CA

#4439 Sep 10, 2013
I think the mistake here is how belief is defined.

As an atheist I have a number of beliefs, but they aren’t important, they are just things I happen to believe that I cannot prove. I wouldn’t be upset if my belief happened to be wrong, no big deal, I would never put a belief in front of actual evidence to the contrary.

For the religious, Belief trumps evidence, belief trumps fact, belief is the driving force in their lives.

They would rather believe something is true even when proved otherwise.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#4440 Sep 10, 2013
Big D wrote:
I think the mistake here is how belief is defined.
As an atheist I have a number of beliefs, but they aren’t important, they are just things I happen to believe that I cannot prove. I wouldn’t be upset if my belief happened to be wrong, no big deal, I would never put a belief in front of actual evidence to the contrary.
For the religious, Belief trumps evidence, belief trumps fact, belief is the driving force in their lives.
They would rather believe something is true even when proved otherwise.
Well done!

You have also pointed out the difference between scientific methods, and religious methods.

With science, if the evidence/facts point off in a new direction, the scientist is compelled (if he's honest) to follow.

With religion, they make a claim-- and reject any and all evidence that contradicts the claim.
pxpx

Mesa, AZ

#4441 Oct 1, 2013
John Doe Versus Death

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#4442 Oct 2, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously haven't spent much time in any criminal court. Cops routinely lie and get away with it. They even refer privately to their testimony as 'testilying'.
I'm not talking about a petty small claims court, I'm talking about a larger law court where they analyse what is said and the evidence for or against it.

That's where faith always fails, because it has no facts to back it up.

Location hidden

#4443 Oct 2, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats what is seems like to a creationist who is used to lying about god and his cult in order to get more members and increase the mental illness of of overall population.

Location hidden

#4444 Oct 2, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
Pope to lead Vatican prayer vigil for peace in Syria
-- On the evening of Sept. 7, days before U.S. lawmakers vote on President Barack Obama's proposal for a military attack on Syria, Pope Francis will lead thousands in St. Peter's Square in a prayer vigil for peace.
"We will gather in prayer and in a spirit of penance, invoking God's great gift of peace upon the beloved nation of Syria and upon each situation of conflict and violence around the world," the pope said Sept. 1, before praying the noon Angelus with a crowd in the square. "Humanity needs to see these gestures of peace and to hear words of hope and peace."
Cue creationist news spam after the LCN troll gets butthurt...

Location hidden

#4445 Oct 2, 2013
Lincoln posting creationist news is equivalent to a lying child sticking his tongue out.

Just shows you how immature this mental illness is when it comes to confronting the facts - lying about god is neither smart nor clever.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#4446 Oct 2, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not talking about a petty small claims court, I'm talking about a larger law court where they analyse what is said and the evidence for or against it.
That's where faith always fails, because it has no facts to back it up.
I've seen cops blatantly lie in murder cases. It's just business as usual. What you are thinking of is appellate courts, where it is just the judges and the lawyers discussing what the law is.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#4447 Oct 2, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen cops blatantly lie in murder cases. It's just business as usual. What you are thinking of is appellate courts, where it is just the judges and the lawyers discussing what the law is.
And the Supreme Court where... wait.

Nevermind...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 220
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 49 min -Stray Dog 47,768
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... 1 hr Shizle 51
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Shizle 12,476
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 1 hr QUITTNER Aug 29 2015 3
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr thetruth 247,262
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 3 hr thetruth 19
Proof of God for the Atheist 3 hr thetruth 100
More from around the web