First Prev
of 36
Next Last
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#707 May 17, 2013
I believe most Atheists posting here to score 6 on this scale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_of_thei...

I certainly am.

Dawkins is.

What is your score?
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Are most atheists agnostics ?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#709 May 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I certainly am.
Dawkins is.
What is your score?
<quoted text>
Solid six...
Imhotep

Ocala, FL

#710 May 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I certainly am.
Dawkins is.
What is your score?
<quoted text>
6.66 is my score. ;)
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#711 May 17, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>.. Some atheists also disbelieve, but there is a subtle difference between not believing in deities and believing that none exist...
+1 Good point.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#712 May 17, 2013
Thanks.
It will be interesting to see how many non-sixes will respond.
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>Solid six...
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#713 May 17, 2013
Dawkins once joked that he was a 6.9, but I believe I've met almost no 7s whatsoever.
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
6.66 is my score. ;)
Imhotep

Ocala, FL

#714 May 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Dawkins once joked that he was a 6.9, but I believe I've m
et almost no 7s whatsoever.
<quoted text>
Me either.

In fact I know more atheists or irreligious people on topics!

And I don't actually know them at all!

It's different when you've never been religious to begin with. My parents were irreligious most of my relatives were irreligious therefore it follows that I am like them.

Identical analogy to those who were brainwashed!

The principal difference being truth is on my side
Fact is on my side.

I leave organized superstition to those who enjoy it. ;)

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#715 May 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Dawkins once joked that he was a 6.9, but I believe I've met almost no 7s whatsoever.
<quoted text>
Non-six responding: Sure you have met at least one, here on topix. Hi, I am Reason, and I am a solid seven.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#716 May 17, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Although they certainly thought it would be the end of the world if stores opened up. On the other hand when blue laws were enforced less and less church attendance went down and down.
<quoted text>
Well, duuuh.... people really don't much like attending church.

This is why church had to fabricate this "sin" nonsense, to try to guilt them into going.

When that wasn't enough? The church quickly turned to Traditional Hate as a tool to keep the pews full.

Hate, after all, is quite the motivator.

The only thing keeping the majority of modern pews full, is because the leadership keeps the hate stirred up.

Anti-gay, anti-immigrant, anti-<whatever> all serve to keep the pews full, and the $$$ rolling in.

After all...

.... the preacher's limo is nearly out of gas, and the ash trays are full-- time to buy a new one...!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#717 May 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I certainly am.
Dawkins is.
What is your score?
<quoted text>
Just as most Theists fall between 2 and 3.

Of course, the scale does not include the large section of the population who's never given it a moment's thought-- they attend church, simply out of habit, and because that's what their family has always done.

In truth? This group seldom depends on religion for much of anything, apart from a small label they use sometimes, to identify themselves to strangers...

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#718 May 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I certainly am.
Dawkins is.
What is your score?
<quoted text>
I'm a six, with respect to the whole, generalized concept "god" or "gods".

I'm a seven, with respect to any god that has a "holy" book attached as "justification" for said god's existence.

I've studied a fair number of these books, read the commentaries about them too.

And it's clear, that no real god who gave a tinker's damn about humanity, would have suffered such as these books to exist--if the issues were as portrayed.

So I can say, definitively, that there are no gods (as portrayed) behind any "holy" book. A solid 7 in that case.

It appears the issues are not nearly as cut and dried as the 7-place scale would suggest...

:D

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#719 May 17, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a six, with respect to the whole, generalized concept "god" or "gods".
I'm a seven, with respect to any god that has a "holy" book attached as "justification" for said god's existence.
I've studied a fair number of these books, read the commentaries about them too.
And it's clear, that no real god who gave a tinker's damn about humanity, would have suffered such as these books to exist--if the issues were as portrayed.
So I can say, definitively, that there are no gods (as portrayed) behind any "holy" book. A solid 7 in that case.
It appears the issues are not nearly as cut and dried as the 7-place scale would suggest...
:D
Agreed. I, too, am certain that the Abrahamic god does not exist, that the life of Jesus as depicted in the New Testament never occurred (although there may have been a real man whose life was ridiculously exaggerated), and that the beginning of the Universe involved no spiritual impetus. But I am open to the possibility that some life forms may have evolved to become independent of biology, however infinitesimally tiny that possibility may be, and that such beings may be able to affect the minds of especially sensitive humans. It's kind of a cool idea, and if I were a novelist, it would be a tempting subject.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#720 May 17, 2013
Lol! Hating others is a Christian money maker indeed.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Well, duuuh.... people really don't much like attending church.

This is why church had to fabricate this "sin" nonsense, to try to guilt them into going.

When that wasn't enough? The church quickly turned to Traditional Hate as a tool to keep the pews full.

Hate, after all, is quite the motivator.

The only thing keeping the majority of modern pews full, is because the leadership keeps the hate stirred up.

Anti-gay, anti-immigrant, anti-<whatever> all serve to keep the pews full, and the $$$ rolling in.

After all...

.... the preacher's limo is nearly out of gas, and the ash trays are full-- time to buy a new one...!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#721 May 17, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. I, too, am certain that the Abrahamic god does not exist, that the life of Jesus as depicted in the New Testament never occurred (although there may have been a real man whose life was ridiculously exaggerated), and that the beginning of the Universe involved no spiritual impetus. But I am open to the possibility that some life forms may have evolved to become independent of biology, however infinitesimally tiny that possibility may be, and that such beings may be able to affect the minds of especially sensitive humans. It's kind of a cool idea, and if I were a novelist, it would be a tempting subject.
Indeed it would-- and has been for a long time in both SciFi and Fantasy stories.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#722 May 17, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Lol! Hating others is a Christian money maker indeed.
<quoted text>
Well, it works for the religion of Sports, does it not?

Are we not taught to hate the rival Sports Franchise, with every fibre of our being?

;)

Just look at European Football (soccer to USians) matches, and the all-too-frequent rioting...

... <heh>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 36
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr ChristineM 231,895
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 1 hr Morse 23
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 1 hr Morse 14,442
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr rfirma 1,010
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 3 hr Catholic Girl 27
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion 13 hr Dally Mama 3
Young atheists: The political leaders of tomorrow 13 hr Carchar king 4

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE