'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#900 Aug 5, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
Yep, everybody that disagrees with Bob is stalking him and MUST be "reported". What a wussy little, lying tattler.
Oh look! My stalker is back, with more hate-speech and ugly filth.

Typical of a Genuine Christhole™, though.

LOL!

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#901 Aug 5, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
LCN is just a troll-- he cut/pastes **anything** to get some attention-- ANY attention.
You can tell when he's writing his own, because it's grammatically flawed, and the spelling is atrocious.
He's quite a sad case-- he's been stalking me for months, now.
I really should start reporting his azz..
That might not be a bad idea ;) and thanks for letting me know :D I hope you've had a good day!
Thinking

Royston, UK

#902 Aug 5, 2013
Yes, you are an idiot.
Telling tales.
Signifying nothing.
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
atheism it is a tale
Told by an idiot,
full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#903 Aug 6, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
terry are you saying YOU are open minded???? You have a mind set that there is no God and you would never accept any evidence otherwise. You are an atheist zombie.
Any evidence to show us?
Risen from the dead = zombie?
Zombie like Christ?
Atheist = not a theist?
Oh well, 2 out of 3 ain't at all bad.
LCN Llin

United States

#904 Aug 6, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
Yep, everybody that disagrees with Bob is stalking him and MUST be "reported". What a wussy little, lying tattler.
no toleration of different opinions.
... has no links or examples to offer :-)

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#905 Aug 6, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
oh terry.......couldn't make it without the standard atheist jargon of leprechauns, unicorns, and dragons? Bottom line, you don't know everything. Not even close. Therefore if you were honest you would have to leave to door open to the possibility of a God. However, you aren't honest. You hold to your belief system and nothing would ever change your mind. That is why atheism is for morons.
Where did I ever state that I don't leave the door open to the possibility? Until you provide indisputable evidence for your god, it will get the same amount of acceptance from me as every other mystical creature ever written about, zero. In exactly the same way you dismiss every other possible god, I dismiss yours
anon

Oklahoma City, OK

#906 Aug 6, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Christians by far contribute more to society and the needy.
I don't know if that is true or not, but I DO know that every Christmas, when the salvation army santas are out there ringing there bells, the ones who give the most are the poorer people. The more well to do types just walk right on by.
anon

Oklahoma City, OK

#907 Aug 6, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Where did I ever state that I don't leave the door open to the possibility? Until you provide indisputable evidence for your god, it will get the same amount of acceptance from me as every other mystical creature ever written about, zero. In exactly the same way you dismiss every other possible god, I dismiss yours
I have heard this argument for years now, and really don't know what to say to it. However, I sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that there are no little green men inside my computer making it function. Therefore, I think I will start a group, and a movement where we can get together and talk about it. Same thing with Santa. I don't believe for a moment that Santa comes every year from the North Pole to leave us presents, and I don't believe it is really him in the stores every year. Also, the United States military needs to quit using (or claiming) to use their radar equipment every year claiming to show him on their screens. Since this belief in Santa is causing riots, fights, and even some deaths every year, it is a dangerous and potentially lethal belief that needs to be stopped. Not to mention the mental stress and anguish it causes children when they finally learn the truth.

So let's start a group where we sit around talking about it, and handing out pamphlets and putting signs on buses telling people to be non believers, and teach their children non belief also.

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Why would you want to be a part of a group focusing on something you DON'T believe in?
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#908 Aug 6, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Why would you want to be a part of a group focusing on something you DON'T believe in?
Because its a group which has a worldview that is rational. Anyone can chose to be a rational person. Chosing reality instead of fantasy.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#909 Aug 6, 2013
But enough about nanomonotony...
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
no toleration of different opinions.
... has no links or examples to offer :-)
LCN Llin

United States

#910 Aug 6, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Any evidence to show us?
Risen from the dead = zombie?
Zombie like Christ?
Atheist = not a theist?
Oh well, 2 out of 3 ain't at all bad.
Richard Dawkins and the meaningless meme

Dawkins's video is designed to go viral yet completely misunderstands the way that real internet memes spread

The video that Richard Dawkins made for an advertising company in Cannes is like a particularly vivid anti-drug commercial: this is your brain on bad acid, except, of course, that this is a portrait of a brain wrecked by self-importance. Yet it does have a slightly wider point. The purpose of it is to get linked and spread. To this end we are collaborating here on the Guardian. But at the same time the video completely misunderstands the way that real internet memes spread.

The things that do flash briefly around the internet were hardly ever intended to do so. Either they are completely unintentional moments of self-parody, like one of the first — "All your base are belong to us" or they are private jokes that leak out into a wider world, like the Rev Kate Bottley's disco dancing wedding.

There are some deliberate forms of parody which enjoy a year or two of fame. Older readers will remember Downfall videos and even lolcats. But here, too, the humour derives from incongruity: from the message being wrenched out of its original context. And this in turn points at the fatuity of the meme concept if it is intended (as it was) to be a serious account of cultural transmission. It is entirely without reference to meaning. What can be copied – and what is – are simple patterns of sound or words or pictures. But what makes these things worth communicating is their meaning. And in the video above you see the perfection of something designed to be copied without any meaning at all.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013...
LCN Llin

United States

#911 Aug 6, 2013
The video that Richard Dawkins made for an advertising company in Cannes is like a particularly vivid anti-drug commercial: this is your brain on bad acid, except, of course, that this is a portrait of a brain wrecked by self-importance. Yet it does have a slightly wider point. The purpose of it is to get linked and spread. To this end we are collaborating here on the Guardian. But at the same time the video completely misunderstands the way that real internet memes spread.

The things that do flash briefly around the internet were hardly ever intended to do so. Either they are completely unintentional moments of self-parody, like one of the first — "All your base are belong to us" or they are private jokes that leak out into a wider world, like the Rev Kate Bottley's disco dancing wedding.

There are some deliberate forms of parody which enjoy a year or two of fame. Older readers will remember Downfall videos and even lolcats. But here, too, the humour derives from incongruity: from the message being wrenched out of its original context. And this in turn points at the fatuity of the meme concept if it is intended (as it was) to be a serious account of cultural transmission. It is entirely without reference to meaning. What can be copied – and what is – are simple patterns of sound or words or pictures. But what makes these things worth communicating is their meaning. And in the video above you see the perfection of something designed to be copied without any meaning at all.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013... -
Amused

Lowell, MA

#912 Aug 6, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I have heard this argument for years now, and really don't know what to say to it. However, I sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that there are no little green men inside my computer making it function. Therefore, I think I will start a group, and a movement where we can get together and talk about it. Same thing with Santa. I don't believe for a moment that Santa comes every year from the North Pole to leave us presents, and I don't believe it is really him in the stores every year. Also, the United States military needs to quit using (or claiming) to use their radar equipment every year claiming to show him on their screens. Since this belief in Santa is causing riots, fights, and even some deaths every year, it is a dangerous and potentially lethal belief that needs to be stopped. Not to mention the mental stress and anguish it causes children when they finally learn the truth.
So let's start a group where we sit around talking about it, and handing out pamphlets and putting signs on buses telling people to be non believers, and teach their children non belief also.
Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Why would you want to be a part of a group focusing on something you DON'T believe in?
Because, while there are no groups promoting belief in little green men inside computers, or promoting belief in Santa as the way to a better life, religious groups do exist, and they are either intentionally or because they are totally oblivious to the fact that there are people who do not share their views, persistently acting in ways that impose or seek to impose their faith on others. From public prayer at the beginning of government meetings, graduations, even sporting events, to insisting on religious sloganeering on the currency to laws against abortion and gay marriage that are rooted in the belief that their holy book chronicles their deities disapproval of these things, the religious among us are not content to merely follow their faith, but insist that non-believers defer to them as well.

I have no quarrel with people who want to believe the biblical creation story, up until the point where they use that story as justification for preventing the teaching of evolution in science class. If gay marriage is forbidden by your religion, and you will not permit clergy from your church to perform such marriages, that is your right. Preventing gays from marrying at all is just imposing your beliefs on others. If you oppose abortion and contraception and preach against it, fine, that's your right. If you push laws that restrict women who don't share that belief from having access to safe, legal abortion and effective contraception, that is imposing beliefs on others.

So, atheists have lots to talk about here. More of the talk centers on god's fan club than on the existence/nonexistence of any deities.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#913 Aug 6, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I have heard this argument for years now, and really don't know what to say to it. However, I sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that there are no little green men inside my computer making it function. Therefore, I think I will start a group, and a movement where we can get together and talk about it. Same thing with Santa. I don't believe for a moment that Santa comes every year from the North Pole to leave us presents, and I don't believe it is really him in the stores every year. Also, the United States military needs to quit using (or claiming) to use their radar equipment every year claiming to show him on their screens. Since this belief in Santa is causing riots, fights, and even some deaths every year, it is a dangerous and potentially lethal belief that needs to be stopped. Not to mention the mental stress and anguish it causes children when they finally learn the truth.
So let's start a group where we sit around talking about it, and handing out pamphlets and putting signs on buses telling people to be non believers, and teach their children non belief also.
Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Why would you want to be a part of a group focusing on something you DON'T believe in?
For the very simple reason that there are those that DO believe in a 'god' that are doing everything in their power to have that belief taught to public school children as science and written into laws that govern everyone! If it weren't for those 2 very obvious reasons, there would probably be very little discussion of the subject.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#914 Aug 6, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
That might not be a bad idea ;) and thanks for letting me know :D I hope you've had a good day!
Today **is** a good day.

I already got several important things done-- I'm killing a bit o'time before I run to the Post Office, to mail a package.

Money, don'cha know, is my reward.

:D

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#915 Aug 6, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if that is true or not, but I DO know that every Christmas, when the salvation army santas are out there ringing there bells, the ones who give the most are the poorer people. The more well to do types just walk right on by.
Of course! They didn't get to **be** well-to-do by giving money to a scam.

And make no mistake: the "Salvation" Army is a **scam**.

The vast majority of what they rake in--- which is a lot-- stays in-house, and does not get out to anyone who deserves it.

What's worse? They are behind a systematic program of anti-gay bigotry....

... like so very **many** Genuine Christian™ hate-groups.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#916 Aug 6, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Richard Dawkins and the meaningless meme
Dawkins's video is designed to go viral yet completely misunderstands the way that real internet memes spread
The video that Richard Dawkins made for an advertising company in Cannes is like a particularly vivid anti-drug commercial: this is your brain on bad acid, except, of course, that this is a portrait of a brain wrecked by self-importance. Yet it does have a slightly wider point. The purpose of it is to get linked and spread. To this end we are collaborating here on the Guardian. But at the same time the video completely misunderstands the way that real internet memes spread.
The things that do flash briefly around the internet were hardly ever intended to do so. Either they are completely unintentional moments of self-parody, like one of the first — "All your base are belong to us" or they are private jokes that leak out into a wider world, like the Rev Kate Bottley's disco dancing wedding.
There are some deliberate forms of parody which enjoy a year or two of fame. Older readers will remember Downfall videos and even lolcats. But here, too, the humour derives from incongruity: from the message being wrenched out of its original context. And this in turn points at the fatuity of the meme concept if it is intended (as it was) to be a serious account of cultural transmission. It is entirely without reference to meaning. What can be copied – and what is – are simple patterns of sound or words or pictures. But what makes these things worth communicating is their meaning. And in the video above you see the perfection of something designed to be copied without any meaning at all.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013...
So basically, you have no response?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#917 Aug 6, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>So basically, you have no response?
That sums up his entire life's story...
AngelAngle

Dallas, TX

#918 Aug 13, 2013
Some interesting takeaways:

1. The poor are more religious than the rich. People in the bottom income groups are 17 percent more religious than those in the top income groups.

2. Globally, the number of those claiming to be religious has dropped by 9 percent from 2005 to 2011, while the number of people identifying themselves as atheists has risen by 3 percent.

3. Four countries have experienced a drop in religiosity in their populations that is greater than 20 percent between 2005 and 2012. France and Switzerland saw decreases of 21 percent, while Ireland's number of faithful declined by 22 percent and Vietnam's by 23 percent.
Amused

Merrimac, MA

#919 Aug 13, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>...
Where was your god **then**???
Out watching NASCAR, perhaps?
What fun would that be? An omniscient deity would already know who won and already have foreseen all the crashes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
High School Atheism 23 min blacklagoon 3 41
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 1 hr Frindly 3,269
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Frindly 83,837
News Scientist Richard Dawkins weighs in on Malaysia... 8 hr nanoanomaly 1
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 11 hr Eagle 12 - 4,965
Where have all the Atheists gone? (Apr '17) 11 hr Eagle 12 - 132
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... 12 hr Eagle 12 - 17
More from around the web