'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

Jul 5, 2013 Full story: NewsOK.com 7,541

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Full Story
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7912 May 23, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
i have no hate in me. I feel the same way about Zeus, Yahweh, Bigfoot, Thor, Allah, The Easter Bunny and The Loch Ness Monster. I have not seen sufficient evidence to prove that they exist in anything other than stories.
i asked for NO vague bullsh#t not more of the same vague bullsh#t.
oh really? Do you also visit the bigfoot and Zeus forums and get overly emotional about them as well?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7913 May 23, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I totally agree with everything you say. There is another side of this that we haven't touched on. "Private Prisons" or "for-profit prison". We talked about this is Sociology Class at OSU and it was a real eye opener. The stock market is banking on people who try to stand up for their rights and if I recall correctly there is supposedly a thing called 3 strikes and you are out? Just wrap your mind around an industry that profits from you being incarcerated.
http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-prison-indus...
And what about the seatbelt law... I can ride a motorcycle without a helmet (or a seatbelt) but if I'm in a big truck with airbags I damn well better have a seatbelt on.
Studying the work of Seneca though, its been known for a long time that there are just some fights that arent worth fight (at this time at least) so I just put my seatbelt on and give a clean UA so i can keep my job.
Do you mean Seneca the Roman Stoic philosopher dude? I'm ... uh ... not really a student of his work. I suppose you can say that I have adopted a 'stoic' outlook regarding UA's and life in general.

As for 'private' or 'for profit' prison systems ... sounds kind of Sci-Fi, apocalyptic scary. The 'love of money' and 'root of all evil' is pretty spot on, despite it's biblical origins.

Texas, USA

#7914 May 23, 2014
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been working for more than 40 years, and never asked to take a drug test. I think they are a legitimate thing for worker's whose jobs are such that trying to do them while impaired creates a danger to the public or to co-workers, but completely unnecessary for the vast majority of workers. A file clerk who misfiles while stoned is not a workplace menace. A secretary typing the same sentence over and over because she keeps losing her place is unproductive, but not dangerous.
The tests are not so reliable. Eating a poppy seed bagel can and has resulted in people testing positive for opiate use. Taking sudafed for a cold or allergy can lead to a false positive for meth.(The reason you can't buy more than a limited quantity of sudafed at any one time is because it is a major component in manufacturing meth. THC from marijuana is fat-soluble, and stays in the body for over a month.
Beyond all of that, it is overly intrusive and derogates from human dignity and freedom. If you choose to work for employers who have no respect for your privacy, that's your choice. Insisting that your choice be imposed on others just to make you feel better about it is irrational.
In most cases, private industry adopts things like this out of lawyerphobia. They fear that if they don't take every possible precaution against every possible scenario where someone might assert liability, they will be sued into starvation. In the case of governments, I don't believe any government anywhere has every refused an accretion of power."Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the Government's purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." Louis Brandeis, US Supreme Court Justice.
Between exaggerated fear of liability lawsuits and vastly exaggerated fear of terrorism, private industry and the government have successfully menaced the American public with an endless series of hobgoblins, kept us clamoring to be led to safety, and made a mockery of the Bill of Rights.
If the Florida results are typical then imposing the tests on Welfare recipients would certainly be irrational and I'll just have to get over it. The study 'flies in the face' of what I believe and/or have been led to believe. I'm certainly not a campaigner or champion of the concept (drug testing welfare recipients) either way, so I have to say I need more data. Given the expense, I doubt more data will be forthcoming. Perhaps we need another trial or two before we jump to conclusions. I hope to 'retire' early next year, at which time the whole matter will become 'moot' as far as I'm concerned.

Texas, USA

#7915 May 23, 2014
So What wrote:
I should have written RHill instead of Amused.
I wish to express my deepest an heart felt apologies if this mistake has rendered anyone emotionally useless, since some on this forum seem to be sensitive to verbal jabs.----So What
I was pretty much 'emotionally useless' long before your errant post! I consider it a compliment to be confused with someone as astute as Amused. I pretty much go along with Amused post regarding drug testing in schools. I'll also reiterate that if I were suddenly crowned King, there would be no drug testing anywhere in my kingdom save for those folks who have proven themselves threats to society in some form or another.

Texas, USA

#7916 May 23, 2014
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
DAH maybe just maybe that's that point she was trying to make! If GOD doesn't exist why the hatred? If he really believes that then GOD would mean nothing and have no effect on his world.
Think about before you post again.
Since the preponderance of the world 'believes in a god' and the world is in a sad state of affairs ... it is quite the opposite. Who, what and why people 'believe' in a god means a lot and has a great deal of effect on EVERYBODY'S world. We do not separate ourselves from the ebb and flow of Human Experience by virtue of our Atheism. Our voices are a whisper, your deafness a SHOUT!

Texas, USA

#7917 May 23, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
oh really? Do you also visit the bigfoot and Zeus forums and get overly emotional about them as well?
Check the records ... Zeus and Bigfoot believers don't monkey around with our Constitutional rights.

Texas, USA

#7918 May 23, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
wow what hate you have for God angel. He also predicted that we would be hated because of Him. Thanks for making that prophecy a reality.
Wow. That's the best you got? That's what constitutes a verified biblical prophecy for you? The word 'hate' is itself becoming Politically Incorrect. Is that in there anywhere? Nobody 'hates' you antiatheist ...

Since: Aug 13

Garland, TX

#7919 May 23, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like you have been backed into a corner yet again.Your "book of prophecy" has no ability to predict the future. There is no such thing as magic.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7920 May 23, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like you have been backed into a corner yet again.Your "book of prophecy" has no ability to predict the future. There is no such thing as magic.
Right. There is no such thing as magic. However, there is such a thing as God. You will meet Him someday. Again, whens the last time you argued hours on end with people who believe in aliens or the tooth fairy? Thats what I thought. You are afraid of God and honestly I don't blame you.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#7921 May 23, 2014
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
DAH maybe just maybe that's that point she was trying to make! If GOD doesn't exist why the hatred? If he really believes that then GOD would mean nothing and have no effect on his world.
Think about before you post again.
LOL! I don't believe Angle has showed hatred toward God. Do you show hatred towards a deity you don't believe exists? I believe that any hatred that Angle has shown has been towards the person you are referred to as she (antiatheist).

You might want to do some research before making your post. Because the she you are referring to is an intolerant self-proclaimed Christian that claims to be male and enjoys nothing more than trolling this forum to prove that point. He/she also is referred to as Judas Judge it!.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7922 May 24, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! I don't believe Angle has showed hatred toward God. Do you show hatred towards a deity you don't believe exists? I believe that any hatred that Angle has shown has been towards the person you are referred to as she (antiatheist).
You might want to do some research before making your post. Because the she you are referring to is an intolerant self-proclaimed Christian that claims to be male and enjoys nothing more than trolling this forum to prove that point. He/she also is referred to as Judas Judge it!.
Isn't it a little weird that the only people so what judges are Christians? She fails to look at herself and judge her cyber bullying issue she has with Karen. So what lives on topix because in real life she would be laughed at.
slowTwat

Oklahoma City, OK

#7923 May 24, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! I don't believe Angle has showed hatred toward God. Do you show hatred towards a deity you don't believe exists? I believe that any hatred that Angle has shown has been towards the person you are referred to as she (antiatheist).
You are one delusional little fraction of a man aren't you? Its not hard to tell why you get a check each month from the government (not to mention free health care). You have the mindset of a 5 year old. You are delusional and live in a world that's only relative to your small mind.
slowTwat

Oklahoma City, OK

#7925 May 24, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>What we have here is a modern day Lincoln-Douglas Debate.
I had the privilege of witnessing a state high school debate competition over this very subject. I found it to be a great topic because it effects everyone's lives not only because of abuse, but economic factors as well.
While watching students having to work with the pros or cons of the subject that they were given. I found it a topic of equal truths for both sides. But after about an hour I found myself mocking the students with mental blah blahs, until one student came to the podium with a new twist for her con and something I haven't seen brought up in the exchanges between you and Amused. The fact that businesses are being held hostage by insurance companies when it comes to drug testing. Her final remarks was about a country that prides themselves on the fact that we are not only a democracy but also on its free enterprise system is allowing that same system to dictate policy on our freedoms. I believe that factor and maybe because she went second to last helped her to win the competition.
I want to ask you and Amused to please give me your thoughts on drug testing in our schools.
You witnessed someone putting a cock in your mouth is what you mentioned slowTwat.
slowTwat

Oklahoma City, OK

#7926 May 24, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Seatbelts on a motorcycle? That's what I want is a 500lb+ hunk of metal strapped to me in an accident.
For your information airbags don't go off unless your seatbelts are fastened because they will snap your spine if your not secured to the seat. And just so you know automobiles have black boxes that will tell accident investigators if you had your seatbelt on in an impact so you can't sue the manufacturer for the airbags not going off. And if you have an accident and you weren't wearing your seatbelts, good luck suing an Insurance Company. You will have a hard time proving that you weren't liable for your injuries, while breaking the law.
Besides, why should I have to pay higher premiums because you're to stupid to protect yourself.
Who drug tests you, your husband? Or is it the Topix Police?
LMAO! man there is a lot of anger in there you poor thing. Everyone is out to get slowTwat. What has Karen and Ray done to you? Did they keep you in bondage and make you have sex with the dog? then when they kicked you out you became angry? For your information not all cars have the same "black box" some are smarter than others and there are still some cars built without them. Next time research before you open that sperm dumpster.
-The Artist-

Norman, OK

#7927 May 24, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Herman Cain? LOL! Why?
Herman Cain may have been the most experienced candidate to run in the last half century, just not the most experienced politician.

•Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics.

•Master’s degree in Computer Science.

•Mathematician for the Navy, where he worked on missile ballistics (making him a rocket scientist).

•Computer systems analyst for Coca-Cola.

•Business Manager. Took charge of Pillsbury’s 400 Burger King restaurants in the Philadelphia area, which were the company’s poorest performers in the country. Spent the first nine months learning the business from the ground up, cooking hamburger and yes, cleaning toilets. After three years he had turned them into the company’s best performers.

•Godfather’s Pizza CEO. Was asked by Pillsbury to take charge of their Godfather’s Pizza chain (which was on the verge of bankruptcy). He made it profitable in 14 months.

•In 1988 he led a buyout of the Godfather’s Pizza chain from Pillsbury. He was now the owner of a restaurant chain. Again he reached the top of the ladder of another industry.

•Adviser to the Federal Reserve System. Herman Cain went to work for the Federal Reserve Banking System advising them on how monetary policy changes would affect American businesses.

•Chairman of the Kansas City Federal Reserve Bank. He worked his way up to the chairmanship of a regional Federal Reserve bank. This is only one step below the chairmanship of the entire Federal Reserve System (the top banking position in the country). This position allowed him to see how monetary policy is made from the inside, and understand the political forces that impact the monetary system.

•Writer and public speaker. He then started to write and speak on leadership. His books include Speak as a Leader, CEO of Self, Leadership is Common Sense, and They Think You’re Stupid.

Pretty good for just a pizza guy.
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I know why you support J.C. Watts. It's because you're a Sooner Fan, and he was a great Q.B.. But did you know he got rich off of insider information about a run down housing addition just north of the Tinker Air Force Base fence line that was going to be acquired by the government many years later. He bought up houses for next to nothing and boarded them up even though some were in rentable condition because he didn't want to invest any money into them and didn't want to draw attention to what he was doing. Then sold them to the tax payers for over a 1000% profit. Rumor has it that he didn't want to be exposed for the good buddy deal, even though he was favored in the polls to be the next Governor of Oklahoma in 2010 so he didn't run.
But he did support Obama for President 2008 even though he was a Republican. What do you think about your Conservative Hero now? Then Newt (The Moon Base Builder) Gingrich in 2012. Maybe he wanted to buy property on the Moon before anybody else could.
I think liberals hate black conservatives. J.C. Watts earned my vote by his conservative stance on the death penalty, welfare reform, school prayer and a balanced budget, not by "getting rich of insider information." And had Watts been a Democrat, with the requisite leftist pedigree, and the same accusations were hurled by the right, you would be screaming "racism" at the top of your lungs. Don't even waste keystrokes to deny that.
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Come to think about it, he wasn't that great of a Q.B.. He never won a National Championship and only made it to the Canadian Football League.
Try and twist it all you want. J.C. Watts led the Sooners to two consecutive Big Eight Championships and two Orange Bowl victories over Florida State and was voted the Most Valuable Player in the 1980 and 1981 Orange Bowls. Not bad for a "not-so-great QB."
LOL

United States

#7929 May 24, 2014
#7923-7926 are all fakes posted by the same liar herself....

KAREN JANBAZ
Your Stoopid

Oklahoma City, OK

#7930 May 24, 2014
LOL wrote:
KAREN JANBAZ
Man you hateful old cows act like Karen took the last man on earth. It's funny how you and slow twat seem so jealous of her, jeez. Is it because she is running a successful business? Say what you want but at least she has some sort of a job.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#7931 May 25, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't really answer your question.

Yeah. I think people who get welfare should get tested. The petty, jealous part of me would get a measure of satisfaction out of it and satisfaction is getting rather hard to come by these days. One thing I do know about Pot ... it saps your will to do anything, your ambition. Makes you a nice, quiet, snack munching Couch Potato. Probably exactly how They want the Welfare State. Probably NOT how They want the Worker Bees. We are all pawns in a game.
That's not always true...I've smoked pot for years and I work 5 days a week. It's never caused me to have any lazy bones.

Texas, USA

#7932 May 25, 2014
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not always true...I've smoked pot for years and I work 5 days a week. It's never caused me to have any lazy bones.
Yeah. There's not much that's "always true", dealing with Humans. Perhaps it may only amplify those tendencies we already possess. Who knows? I know I don't really KNOW anything. When you get in your 60's you start thinking more about the things you haven't done and it's natural to try and place blame. I've worked continuously since 1972 but see where maybe I could have done more. Since becoming 'certifiably clean' my accomplishments haven't exactly skyrocketed. Oh well, in a hundred years nobody will know the difference.

Texas, USA

#7933 May 25, 2014
LOL wrote:
KAREN JANBAZ
What demons would drive a person to do such a thing? You Okies have been smoking too much frack.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min ChristineM 230,943
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 1 hr Hooogle It 77
Evidence for God! 5 hr Uncle Sam 43
Heaven 6 hr susanblange 42
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 14 hr Ooogah Boogah 14,391
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 16 hr Chiclets 23,039
Our world came from nothing? 18 hr _Bad Company 1,103

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE