'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Uncle Si

United States

#7836 May 18, 2014
Hypocrites are the gift that keeps on giving. The fact they use their hypocrisy via religion is secondary.
So What

Newalla, OK

#7837 May 18, 2014
RHill wrote:
Religion ... the gift that just keeps on giving.
" http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/... ;
For a Professor of History to say WWI was the driving force of wars based on religion is foolish. Religion has always been a major cause of wars second only to famine. War became easier to wage do to transportation improvements and religion has jumped ahead of famine as a reason do to transportation improvements also, and will always be a major excuse for wars. Christians use it to attach Muslims all the time, and vise versa. The big deference is Christians have a tendency to deny it, and Muslims don't. Ironically transportation has become the number one reason for war now because of resources to sustain fuels for transportation.
So What

Newalla, OK

#7838 May 18, 2014
Uncle Si wrote:
Hypocrites are the gift that keeps on giving. The fact they use their hypocrisy via religion is secondary.
LOL! That is a very light hearted way at looking at it, I would like to put you in front of friends and loved one that have lost someone in a war and make that statement. I'll bet you would change your tune real fast.
Donnie

United States

#7839 May 18, 2014
Do you not understand 'root causes' and the 'effects' of root causes?
Uncle Si

United States

#7840 May 18, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! That is a very light hearted way at looking at it, I would like to put you in front of friends and loved one that have lost someone in a war and make that statement. I'll bet you would change your tune real fast.
Again you show your lack of comprehension. There is no light heartedness in my post a statement reiterated with disgust but no less factual basis. Mankind's ability to be hypocrites has perpetuated much tragedy on the Earth.

It's far passed time for you to get a clue!
So What

Newalla, OK

#7841 May 18, 2014
Uncle Si wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you show your lack of comprehension. There is no light heartedness in my post a statement reiterated with disgust but no less factual basis. Mankind's ability to be hypocrites has perpetuated much tragedy on the Earth.
It's far passed time for you to get a clue!
LOL! Yes I do have a problem comprehending your fragmented BS remarks.

Hypocrisy is not the reason why man wages war. That would be like saying a dog bites another dog because it is a hypocrite.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7842 May 18, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>For a Professor of History to say WWI was the driving force of wars based on religion is foolish. Religion has always been a major cause of wars second only to famine. War became easier to wage do to transportation improvements and religion has jumped ahead of famine as a reason do to transportation improvements also, and will always be a major excuse for wars. Christians use it to attach Muslims all the time, and vise versa. The big deference is Christians have a tendency to deny it, and Muslims don't. Ironically transportation has become the number one reason for war now because of resources to sustain fuels for transportation.
I'm sure the author would appreciate your 'peer review'.

'God with us' has either been a causative or contributory element in all wars ... something we Atheists are only too happy to point out. It's refreshing to see it reinterated in a scholarly publication, none the less. I think his main point was regarding religion's influence in WW1 & WW2 ... wars we don't normally think of as 'religious wars'.
So What

Newalla, OK

#7843 May 18, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure the author would appreciate your 'peer review'.
'God with us' has either been a causative or contributory element in all wars ... something we Atheists are only too happy to point out. It's refreshing to see it reinterated in a scholarly publication, none the less. I think his main point was regarding religion's influence in WW1 & WW2 ... wars we don't normally think of as 'religious wars'.
I find a Ph.D. in History to be a waste of money considering one only has to become an expert by merely visiting a library.

One responsibility of professors is to write papers on the subject they are being paid to represent. If this was an example of justifying a paycheck it's a poor example because it appears to be contrived, probably by a Student Teacher.

antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7844 May 18, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I find a Ph.D. in History to be a waste of money considering one only has to become an expert by merely visiting a library.
One responsibility of professors is to write papers on the subject they are being paid to represent. If this was an example of justifying a paycheck it's a poor example because it appears to be contrived, probably by a Student Teacher.
The government giving you food stamps and other financial assistance is a waste of money. Probably drawing unemployment (assuming you had a job, big assumption) for as long as possible so you can sit on your butt and post on topix and stalk Karen.
-The Artist-

Norman, OK

#7845 May 18, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a Christian.
Where do you think your hate is going to land you, mammy? Your "poor trod upon negro" shuck and jive isn't a ticket to heaven.
-The Artist-

Norman, OK

#7846 May 18, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
The character "Spock" was based upon my own experiences in Terran space. No need to apologize, you couldn't have known.!
Your alternate universe is calling you...they want you home.
So What

Newalla, OK

#7847 May 18, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
The government giving you food stamps and other financial assistance is a waste of money. Probably drawing unemployment (assuming you had a job, big assumption) for as long as possible so you can sit on your butt and post on topix and stalk Karen.
LOL! I was the one that taught you how to start a sentence with a capital letter and that's the way you talk to me.
That's what got you kicked out of school in the first place isn't it? That explains why your education is so limited.

You need to get over Karen. I ran her off a few weeks ago, but I see her boyfriend -The Artist- has showed up to defend her. So you two can fight for her attention all you want.
So What

Newalla, OK

#7848 May 18, 2014
-The Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you think your hate is going to land you, mammy? Your "poor trod upon negro" shuck and jive isn't a ticket to heaven.
LOL! Your girlfriend Karen is not here. Trying to impress her is a waste of your time, but what else do you have to do with it?
Zebra nutter butters

Houston, TX

#7849 May 18, 2014
The birth of Venus .. You day you need no god... She is the goddess of love... Her beauty was so powerful that she could stop a war.

Texas, USA

#7850 May 18, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I find a Ph.D. in History to be a waste of money considering one only has to become an expert by merely visiting a library.
Surely there's more to a education in History at that level than an individual can pick up in a library. Analyzing patterns or how events interrelate on a global scale or something. A whole that is greater than the sum of it's parts. I'd love to have a Ph.D. in History ... but McDonald's already has enough burger flippers! LOL

Contrived? How? To what end? Of course, History isn't really "science" in the strictest sense, but maybe they're testing the anti-religion waters, seeing how it goes. I didn't know most professors were "paid to represent" anything. That would certainly shoot a hole in their credibility. Your response seems, somehow, contrived.

Texas, USA

#7851 May 18, 2014
-The Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Your alternate universe is calling you...they want you home.
I'm starting to believe Oklahoma is a real Alternate Universe.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7852 May 19, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! I was the one that taught you how to start a sentence with a capital letter and that's the way you talk to me.
That's what got you kicked out of school in the first place isn't it? That explains why your education is so limited.
You need to get over Karen. I ran her off a few weeks ago, but I see her boyfriend -The Artist- has showed up to defend her. So you two can fight for her attention all you want.
Your desperation continues to raise its ugly head. I guarantee that you are receiving some type of government assistance as we speak. My guess is you applied for, and received, disability because your obesity keeps you from holding down any type of meaningful employment. The sad things is that it has allowed you to sit on the computer all day cyber bullying Karen and who knows what else.
JPL

United States

#7853 May 19, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Your desperation continues to raise its ugly head. I guarantee that you are receiving some type of government assistance as we speak. My guess is you applied for, and received, disability because your obesity keeps you from holding down any type of meaningful employment. The sad things is that it has allowed you to sit on the computer all day cyber bullying Karen and who knows what else.
Don't feel sorry for Karen she's a fire breathing cyber bully herself she's just getting a little taste of what she's dealt others.

Just Karma being what it is....!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7854 May 19, 2014
Oh I don't feel sorry for karen, I feel sorry for so what. Anyone that bullies others online must have serious personal issues.
-The Artist-

Norman, OK

#7855 May 19, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm starting to believe Oklahoma is a real Alternate Universe.
I'm starting to believe the drugs must be very cheap and available in large quantities in Your Universe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 min Rudolpho Laspari 22,092
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min Brian_G 51,354
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 10 min Eagle 12 24,641
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 16 min Eagle 12 1,646
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr Eagle 12 11,399
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 7 hr Richardfs 5,788
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 7 hr Dogen 460
More from around the web