'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

Jul 5, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NewsOK.com

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Comments
7,341 - 7,360 of 7,541 Comments Last updated May 29, 2014

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

pat wrote:
<quoted text>
dude don't you ever watch international news or read a book, magazine, newspaper? Islamists the world over are killing, mutilating and persecuting women, children, and gays. Where's the outrage? Where's the outcry from society? The silence is deafening.
I went to a thread dealing with cooking and wondered why no one was showing outrage at how badly the Redskins handled the NFL draft! The silence was deafening!!!! I was SHOCKED!!! SHOCKED, I SAY!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

Uncle Si wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Tell me how many Islamist have tortured, mutilated, or killed women and young girls? How many 'honor' killings? Fundamentalist Muslims believe in killing gays as well so tell me how many have died? How many Christians have been beaten, killed or had their churches burned to the ground by Muslims? Do you even know what the laws of Sharia mean for a woman?
This problem isn't just in the M.E. it's the world over including in our own backyard.
If atheists are truly non-believers then they should be consistent in disagreeing with all religion including the bogus Church of Satan founded by a self-proclaimed atheist.
And what, exactly, does that have to do with the topic of this thread?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

Uncle Si wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Tell me how many Islamist have tortured, mutilated, or killed women and young girls? How many 'honor' killings? Fundamentalist Muslims believe in killing gays as well so tell me how many have died? How many Christians have been beaten, killed or had their churches burned to the ground by Muslims? Do you even know what the laws of Sharia mean for a woman?
This problem isn't just in the M.E. it's the world over including in our own backyard.
If atheists are truly non-believers then they should be consistent in disagreeing with all religion including the bogus Church of Satan founded by a self-proclaimed atheist.
When have you ever come a cross an atheist who supports any of the above? If a Muslim whack nut shows up on the thread I think you'll find that atheists will treat him about the same as they do the Christian whack nuts.
Uncle Si

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>And what, exactly, does that have to do with the topic of this thread?
Simple, if you point out the hypocrisy in organized religion then you should also be willing and aware to recognize the hypocrisy of 'some' atheists who refuse to see the hypocrisy of harping only on Christians a true atheist would believe all religions to be false.
pat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

bully much?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

Uncle Si wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple, if you point out the hypocrisy in organized religion then you should also be willing and aware to recognize the hypocrisy of 'some' atheists who refuse to see the hypocrisy of harping only on Christians a true atheist would believe all religions to be false.
So... you're saying that since we're not showing disgust for the religions NOT directly associated with THIS particular thread we're some how hypocrites?

LOL!! That's 'Christian logic' for ya

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

Uncle Si wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! The "some" atheists harp on you only when when you are here, Bubba. If you were saying the same dumb things somewhere else they wouldn't know about it. Bring one of your Hindu or Muslim friends and we can remark on how silly it is to dote on cows and glorify Mohammed. Oh, you don't have any Hindu or Muslim friends to bring to the table? Well I guess that 's that then... you get the pie in the face.
Uncle Si

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

Hypocrisy runs deep on this thread. TerryL and ChromiuMan ASSUME I'm a Christian but I am not. I have never been baptized or been a member of any church including the atheist founded Church of Satan.

So is making false accusations normal for you two?

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

Uncle Si wrote:
Hypocrisy runs deep on this thread. TerryL and ChromiuMan ASSUME I'm a Christian but I am not. I have never been baptized or been a member of any church including the atheist founded Church of Satan.
Read it again.
CM wrote:
LOL! The "some" atheists harp on you only when when you are here, Bubba. If you were saying the same dumb things somewhere else they wouldn't know about it. Bring one of your Hindu or Muslim friends and we can remark on how silly it is to dote on cows and glorify Mohammed. Oh, you don't have any Hindu or Muslim friends to bring to the table? Well I guess that 's that then... you get the pie in the face.
I never said you were a Christian, just that you get the pie in the face from "some" atheists. Need a washcloth?
pat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Bubba you're clearly not near as smart as you think you are. Uncle Si brought up something I never really gave any thought too before.... so the Church of Satan is the organized religion of "some" atheists since it was founded by one?
pat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

Uncle Si wrote:
Have you ever gone to church to see what it was like?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

Uncle Si wrote:
You came here whining about how atheists weren't giving other religions the same mocking we give the christisans, even though this thread has NOTHING to do with other religions.

That alone would make most people think you to be a whining fundy christian with a persecution complex.

Stop acting like a fundy Christian and you won't be treated like one.
Uncle Si

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever gone to church to see what it was like?
Yes when I was a teen I went to a Southern Baptist Church one time and then to a non-denominational church. I wasn't impressed with either one. That was my personal decision but I do not berate or belittle those who choose to have religion in their life.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Bubba you're clearly not near as smart as you think you are. Uncle Si brought up something I never really gave any thought too before.... so the Church of Satan is the organized religion of "some" atheists since it was founded by one?
meh. What do I care about Lavey and who said that Christians hold the monopoly on crazy? There's a heap of Christians who claim the Pope is the head of the Church of Satan.. go figure.
So What

Mcloud, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

Uncle Si wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes when I was a teen I went to a Southern Baptist Church one time and then to a non-denominational church. I wasn't impressed with either one. That was my personal decision but I do not berate or belittle those who choose to have religion in their life.
WOW! You went to church twice? I'm impressed.
Hey Obama claims to be a Christian. What do you think about him?
pat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

Uncle Si wrote:
<quoted text>
You respect other people's choices even when they are different than your own. I can agree with that after all we are all different with different cultures and levels of growth and understanding. I was raised in church and I love being part of a church group, singing and the fellowship of believers. I don't preach like some people feel compelled to do but I hope my life is a living example of making good choices.

Thanks for the conversation and your honesty.
pat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
meh. What do I care about Lavey and who said that Christians hold the monopoly on crazy? There's a heap of Christians who claim the Pope is the head of the Church of Satan.. go figure.
Since the vast majority of comments I've read on this thread had to do with issues regarding the dislike of people who identify themselves as 'Christians' then the implication would be that being a Christian is a problem for most atheist or at least the ones who post on this thread.
pat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

So What wrote:
<quoted text>WOW! You went to church twice? I'm impressed.
Hey Obama claims to be a Christian. What do you think about him?
LOL, that's the same guy who claimed we could keep our insurance and doctors if we liked them.....

Please stop are you practicing for a comedy routine?
Uncle Si

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

pat wrote:
<quoted text>
You respect other people's choices even when they are different than your own. I can agree with that after all we are all different with different cultures and levels of growth and understanding. I was raised in church and I love being part of a church group, singing and the fellowship of believers. I don't preach like some people feel compelled to do but I hope my life is a living example of making good choices.
Thanks for the conversation and your honesty.
We all can use our life choices as examples hopefully 'good' examples. Your welcome and thanks for reading my opinions and engaging in conversation we both can feel positive about.
So What

Mcloud, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

pat wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, that's the same guy who claimed we could keep our insurance and doctors if we liked them.....
Please stop are you practicing for a comedy routine?
LOL! What is your point, that Christians can't be trusted? I still have my same insurance and doctors, so I don't argue about ACA.

The atheists on here treat me with respect and I'm a Christian. Better than the so called Christians do, but I believe if you want respect you need to give respect.

Thank you, you have been a great audience. Be sure to tell all your friends!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••