'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

pat

United States

#7791 May 13, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the posts lately have been about Karen somebody or other. Before that they mostly indicated that antiatheist isn't very likable or lucid. What more need be said?
The problem isn't one of tolerance on the part of the non religious, it's one of intolerance of the self-righteous warriors of God. Leave the Bible out of the classrooms, don't paste religious graffiti on courthouse walls, don't pretend Jesus hates estrogen tablets and stop expecting everybody to quake in their boots and fall all over themselves to make nicey nice to delusions because you've got a fish on your bumper.
Oh yeah Karen Janbaz oh well she's caused bad feelings on more than one thread let me tell you! I didn't notice her usual group of usernames she posts under maybe you recognized "Agnostic" or her older one "Justaminute". Just another frustrated middle aged overweight woman...no big deal.

Sounds like you've had a personal run in with a JW(Jehovah Witness)they always tell you what you should be thinking about, doing in your life or how to live. They also assume they are more informed and more educated in the Bible and being a Christian than anyone they come in contact with and frankly they are offensive to me as well.

So I can understand where you're coming from.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#7792 May 13, 2014
pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah Karen Janbaz oh well she's caused bad feelings on more than one thread let me tell you! I didn't notice her usual group of usernames she posts under maybe you recognized "Agnostic" or her older one "Justaminute". Just another frustrated middle aged overweight woman...no big deal.
Sounds like you've had a personal run in with a JW(Jehovah Witness)they always tell you what you should be thinking about, doing in your life or how to live. They also assume they are more informed and more educated in the Bible and being a Christian than anyone they come in contact with and frankly they are offensive to me as well.
So I can understand where you're coming from.
Are you saying that KJ is a JW, or is just similar to one? I didn't think that the JW's were keen on letting their chattel read or write anything except for WTBTS approved materials..
JPL

United States

#7793 May 13, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that KJ is a JW, or is just similar to one? I didn't think that the JW's were keen on letting their chattel read or write anything except for WTBTS approved materials..
KJ first claimed she was an atheist on the Oklahoma Healthcare Thread then later changed her username to Agnostic and claimed she was Agnostic, lol. But she does a lot of preaching at other posters so maybe she part of the JW cult, I mean religion.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#7794 May 13, 2014
Uncle Si wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple, if you point out the hypocrisy in organized religion then you should also be willing and aware to recognize the hypocrisy of 'some' atheists who refuse to see the hypocrisy of harping only on Christians a true atheist would believe all religions to be false.
yep

and all gods false

there is no difference all abrahamic religions are the same false belief

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#7795 May 13, 2014
Uncle Si wrote:
Hypocrisy runs deep on this thread. TerryL and ChromiuMan ASSUME I'm a Christian but I am not. I have never been baptized or been a member of any church including the atheist founded Church of Satan.
So is making false accusations normal for you two?
so

proof

not all idiots are christians
So What

Newalla, OK

#7796 May 13, 2014
Here's a forum I know you nonbelievers are going to find interesting.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/oklahoma-city...
just wondering

Princeton, WV

#7797 May 14, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
so
proof
not all idiots are christians
no but they sure do not live what they they say or to their own teachings, all they want is money .. they say they are going to help people . the only people they help is their self..
Donnie

United States

#7798 May 14, 2014
just wondering wrote:
<quoted text> no but they sure do not live what they they say or to their own teachings, all they want is money .. they say they are going to help people . the only people they help is their self..
You could be talking about politicians in Washington D.C. they do more harm to more people without accountability than any group of self righteous bible thumpers.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#7799 May 14, 2014
Donnie wrote:
<quoted text>
You could be talking about politicians in Washington D.C. they do more harm to more people without accountability than any group of self righteous bible thumpers.
There's a substantial overlap between "members of Congress" and "self-righteous bible thumpers". It certainly isn't like they have to pick one or the other.
Uncle Si

United States

#7800 May 14, 2014
Donnie wrote:
<quoted text>
Harry Reid-Mormon who tell lies almost every day on the Senate floor.
Nancy Pelosi-Claims to be a good Catholic but her bishop wouldn't allow her to participate
in activities that Catholics in good standing attend.
Obama-former Muslim now Christian who attended a church for 20 years headed by a racist
ranting preacher but then since moving to Washington rarely darkens a door of a
church or temple. Told multiple lies and false promises on ACA-ObamaCare.
Several members of Congress who have been caught cheating on their wives, buying drugs as in the republican in Florida since resigned, another republican who is charged with felonies currently up to his neck in legal issues....but wait Terry McAuliffe new governor in Virginia is involved in a scam along with his business partner milking terminally ill people out of their life savings. Now Harry Reid and Terry McAuliffe are eye teeth deep in a visa scandal for the Chinese...

----------

Remember folks these people are suppose to be working for you and on your behalf tell me do they reflect your personal values?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7801 May 14, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
When have you ever come a cross an atheist who supports any of the above? If a Muslim whack nut shows up on the thread I think you'll find that atheists will treat him about the same as they do the Christian whack nuts.
Of course we will!! I've 'argued' with some Muslims on Topix ... they make our Xtian friends seem cheerful and open minded in comparison. Truly godbots on steroids. Of course, they are the products of a society that our Xtians "think" they want ... religion and it's various symbolism oozing out of every book, TV show, movie, billboard and inextricably intertwined with government and education. If they have their way, the 'Free World' will effectively cease to exist.

Texas, USA

#7802 May 14, 2014
Uncle Si wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple, if you point out the hypocrisy in organized religion then you should also be willing and aware to recognize the hypocrisy of 'some' atheists who refuse to see the hypocrisy of harping only on Christians a true atheist would believe all religions to be false.
Surely it is clear that it is Human Nature to observe and comment on those issues and topics that are closest to you.

Texas, USA

#7803 May 14, 2014
Uncle Si wrote:
Hypocrisy runs deep on this thread. TerryL and ChromiuMan ASSUME I'm a Christian but I am not. I have never been baptized or been a member of any church including the atheist founded Church of Satan.
So is making false accusations normal for you two?
You clearly worship upon the Altar of Ignorance. No "true atheist" would found a Church of any kind, much less one dedicated to a ridiculous, mythical being. Particularly one who sprang from the same imaginations that crafted the Abrahamic religions.

Texas, USA

#7804 May 14, 2014
pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Bubba you're clearly not near as smart as you think you are. Uncle Si brought up something I never really gave any thought too before.... so the Church of Satan is the organized religion of "some" atheists since it was founded by one?
I wouldn't waste too much thought on it now. Satan is as stupid a concept as a Messiah or a "Supreme Being" and none are worthy of rational world view.
So What

Newalla, OK

#7805 May 14, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't waste too much thought on it now. Satan is as stupid a concept as a Messiah or a "Supreme Being" and none are worthy of rational world view.
LOL! If your spouse is like mine, they probably wouldn't like your supreme being crack.

Texas, USA

#7806 May 15, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! If your spouse is like mine, they probably wouldn't like your supreme being crack.
Quite right! At moments of 'weakness', my wife reveals how my not becoming Catholic has essentially ruined her life. Details like the (non)existence of "Supreme Beings" doesn't really seem to matter.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#7807 May 15, 2014
Uncle Si wrote:
<quoted text>
Harry Reid-Mormon who tell lies almost every day on the Senate floor.
Nancy Pelosi-Claims to be a good Catholic but her bishop wouldn't allow her to participate
in activities that Catholics in good standing attend.
Obama-former Muslim now Christian who attended a church for 20 years headed by a racist
ranting preacher but then since moving to Washington rarely darkens a door of a
church or temple. Told multiple lies and false promises on ACA-ObamaCare.
Several members of Congress who have been caught cheating on their wives, buying drugs as in the republican in Florida since resigned, another republican who is charged with felonies currently up to his neck in legal issues....but wait Terry McAuliffe new governor in Virginia is involved in a scam along with his business partner milking terminally ill people out of their life savings. Now Harry Reid and Terry McAuliffe are eye teeth deep in a visa scandal for the Chinese...
----------
Remember folks these people are suppose to be working for you and on your behalf tell me do they reflect your personal values?
It seems that we agree about something, after all. Partisan politics don't work and it doesn't matter whether a crooked politician makes noises like a Republican, Democrat, liberal, conservative, protestant, Catholic, agnostic... a skunk is a skunk.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#7808 May 15, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
You clearly worship upon the Altar of Ignorance. No "true atheist" would found a Church of any kind, much less one dedicated to a ridiculous, mythical being. Particularly one who sprang from the same imaginations that crafted the Abrahamic religions.
People do what people do. I'm sure that there are plenty of "true atheists" in the churches who are there for reasons other than worshiping YHWH. Placating family members, enhancing their status in the community, peer pressure, social networking... It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see through the BS, so it's a sure thing there are uncountable numbers of nonbelievers among the flocks.
Conversely, since the bulk of the populace claims to be Christian, it is surely the believer Christians who are keeping psychics and palm readers in business.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7809 May 15, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! If your spouse is like mine, they probably wouldn't like your supreme being crack.
Don't you mean your "significant other"?
So What

Newalla, OK

#7810 May 15, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite right! At moments of 'weakness', my wife reveals how my not becoming Catholic has essentially ruined her life. Details like the (non)existence of "Supreme Beings" doesn't really seem to matter.
I was referring to my spouse believing that sometimes they are a "supreme being" over me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr One way or another 48,462
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 4 hr hpcaban 5
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr ChristineM 23,489
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) Sat ChristineM 21,863
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Sat Eagle 12 258,039
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Sat Eagle 12 4,907
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Fri Scaritual 14
More from around the web