'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#7769 May 13, 2014
Uncle Si wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple, if you point out the hypocrisy in organized religion then you should also be willing and aware to recognize the hypocrisy of 'some' atheists who refuse to see the hypocrisy of harping only on Christians a true atheist would believe all religions to be false.
LOL! The "some" atheists harp on you only when when you are here, Bubba. If you were saying the same dumb things somewhere else they wouldn't know about it. Bring one of your Hindu or Muslim friends and we can remark on how silly it is to dote on cows and glorify Mohammed. Oh, you don't have any Hindu or Muslim friends to bring to the table? Well I guess that 's that then... you get the pie in the face.
Uncle Si

Norman, OK

#7770 May 13, 2014
Hypocrisy runs deep on this thread. TerryL and ChromiuMan ASSUME I'm a Christian but I am not. I have never been baptized or been a member of any church including the atheist founded Church of Satan.

So is making false accusations normal for you two?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#7771 May 13, 2014
Uncle Si wrote:
Hypocrisy runs deep on this thread. TerryL and ChromiuMan ASSUME I'm a Christian but I am not. I have never been baptized or been a member of any church including the atheist founded Church of Satan.
Read it again.
CM wrote:
LOL! The "some" atheists harp on you only when when you are here, Bubba. If you were saying the same dumb things somewhere else they wouldn't know about it. Bring one of your Hindu or Muslim friends and we can remark on how silly it is to dote on cows and glorify Mohammed. Oh, you don't have any Hindu or Muslim friends to bring to the table? Well I guess that 's that then... you get the pie in the face.
I never said you were a Christian, just that you get the pie in the face from "some" atheists. Need a washcloth?
pat

United States

#7772 May 13, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Bubba you're clearly not near as smart as you think you are. Uncle Si brought up something I never really gave any thought too before.... so the Church of Satan is the organized religion of "some" atheists since it was founded by one?
pat

United States

#7773 May 13, 2014
Uncle Si wrote:
Have you ever gone to church to see what it was like?

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#7774 May 13, 2014
Uncle Si wrote:
You came here whining about how atheists weren't giving other religions the same mocking we give the christisans, even though this thread has NOTHING to do with other religions.

That alone would make most people think you to be a whining fundy christian with a persecution complex.

Stop acting like a fundy Christian and you won't be treated like one.
Uncle Si

Norman, OK

#7775 May 13, 2014
pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever gone to church to see what it was like?
Yes when I was a teen I went to a Southern Baptist Church one time and then to a non-denominational church. I wasn't impressed with either one. That was my personal decision but I do not berate or belittle those who choose to have religion in their life.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#7776 May 13, 2014
pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Bubba you're clearly not near as smart as you think you are. Uncle Si brought up something I never really gave any thought too before.... so the Church of Satan is the organized religion of "some" atheists since it was founded by one?
meh. What do I care about Lavey and who said that Christians hold the monopoly on crazy? There's a heap of Christians who claim the Pope is the head of the Church of Satan.. go figure.
So What

Newalla, OK

#7777 May 13, 2014
Uncle Si wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes when I was a teen I went to a Southern Baptist Church one time and then to a non-denominational church. I wasn't impressed with either one. That was my personal decision but I do not berate or belittle those who choose to have religion in their life.
WOW! You went to church twice? I'm impressed.
Hey Obama claims to be a Christian. What do you think about him?
pat

United States

#7778 May 13, 2014
Uncle Si wrote:
<quoted text>
You respect other people's choices even when they are different than your own. I can agree with that after all we are all different with different cultures and levels of growth and understanding. I was raised in church and I love being part of a church group, singing and the fellowship of believers. I don't preach like some people feel compelled to do but I hope my life is a living example of making good choices.

Thanks for the conversation and your honesty.
pat

United States

#7779 May 13, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
meh. What do I care about Lavey and who said that Christians hold the monopoly on crazy? There's a heap of Christians who claim the Pope is the head of the Church of Satan.. go figure.
Since the vast majority of comments I've read on this thread had to do with issues regarding the dislike of people who identify themselves as 'Christians' then the implication would be that being a Christian is a problem for most atheist or at least the ones who post on this thread.
pat

United States

#7780 May 13, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>WOW! You went to church twice? I'm impressed.
Hey Obama claims to be a Christian. What do you think about him?
LOL, that's the same guy who claimed we could keep our insurance and doctors if we liked them.....

Please stop are you practicing for a comedy routine?
Uncle Si

Norman, OK

#7781 May 13, 2014
pat wrote:
<quoted text>
You respect other people's choices even when they are different than your own. I can agree with that after all we are all different with different cultures and levels of growth and understanding. I was raised in church and I love being part of a church group, singing and the fellowship of believers. I don't preach like some people feel compelled to do but I hope my life is a living example of making good choices.
Thanks for the conversation and your honesty.
We all can use our life choices as examples hopefully 'good' examples. Your welcome and thanks for reading my opinions and engaging in conversation we both can feel positive about.
So What

Newalla, OK

#7782 May 13, 2014
pat wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, that's the same guy who claimed we could keep our insurance and doctors if we liked them.....
Please stop are you practicing for a comedy routine?
LOL! What is your point, that Christians can't be trusted? I still have my same insurance and doctors, so I don't argue about ACA.

The atheists on here treat me with respect and I'm a Christian. Better than the so called Christians do, but I believe if you want respect you need to give respect.

Thank you, you have been a great audience. Be sure to tell all your friends!
Amused

Lowell, MA

#7783 May 13, 2014
pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep in mind that since atheism has no common beliefs apart from disbelief in the probable existence of a god or gods, has no governing structure, membership requirements, or other organization of any kind, anyone is free to call themselves "atheist" whether other atheists agree with that self-designation or not. Saying you are an atheist, but that you believe in satan is contradictory, but there's no atheism membership committee that can challenge your atheist credentials.

So, yeah, there may be some people running around calling themselves atheists and organizing a "church of satan". Most atheists think that's silly, but it is a free country, and no one can stop them. Freedom of religion includes the freedom to call your religion whatever you want, and to believe whatever goofy things you want.or to believe nothing at all. Of course, freedom of speech allows the rest of us to point and laugh.

Seriously, did you ever stop to consider who would simultaneously call themselves "atheist" and found a "church of satan"? Sounds to me like people who are looking to push as many buttons as possible to get a reaction. Seems like they got the hook in your mouth pretty well.
Hahahahaha

El Reno, OK

#7784 May 13, 2014
666 ALL HAIL SATAN
Amused

Lowell, MA

#7787 May 13, 2014
pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Since the vast majority of comments I've read on this thread had to do with issues regarding the dislike of people who identify themselves as 'Christians' then the implication would be that being a Christian is a problem for most atheist or at least the ones who post on this thread.
Most christians - no problem. Christians who think they have a right to impose their beliefs on others - yes, there's a problem with that.

Believe whatever you want about the origin of the universe and whether evolution is valid. Just don't try to foist unscientific beliefs with no facts behind them onto the public schools.

Don't want to be in a same sex marriage, fine, no one's telling you who to marry. Just accord others the same right to marry who they love.

Want to pray everyday? Great, if it makes you happy. Just don't try to impose your prayers on public gatherings where not everyone shares your beliefs. I'm sure if you lived in a neighborhood where the majority were muslim, you'd be screaming persecution at the top of your lungs when the high school had the invocation at graduation led by the local imam. Just recognize that others feel the same way when you do it. Besides, your Jesus had a fairly low opinion of people praying in public. He told you to pray privately. Matthew 6:5-6

Don't have a problem with most muslims, either. The ones running around yelling "jihad" or trying to impose their ideas of islam on others, or denying basic rights to women, or imposing savage and barbaric punishments for private decisions like drinking alcohol, not believing the prophet, drawing cartoons of allah, those muslims I have a huge problem with.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#7788 May 13, 2014
pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the topic of this thread is atheists living in Oklahoma. There is a predominant religion in Oklahoma, and it is not islam, hinduism or buddhism. Since we are discussing life as a tiny minority where the overwhelming majority is christian, which religion do you think is going to come up in the discussion here?

If the topic of this thread were life as an atheist in Iran, likely christianity wouldn't get many mentions.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#7789 May 13, 2014
pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the posts lately have been about Karen somebody or other. Before that they mostly indicated that antiatheist isn't very likable or lucid. What more need be said?
The problem isn't one of tolerance on the part of the non religious, it's one of intolerance of the self-righteous warriors of God. Leave the Bible out of the classrooms, don't paste religious graffiti on courthouse walls, don't pretend Jesus hates estrogen tablets and stop expecting everybody to quake in their boots and fall all over themselves to make nicey nice to delusions because you've got a fish on your bumper.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#7790 May 13, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Oh look. Another believer playing the victim card.
I don't mind you believing in your god so long as you don't change the laws of the land for religious reasons or demand respect your beliefs.
<quoted text>
Right... a handful of atheists are persecuting the most populous religion on the planet and God created the universe in 6 days 6,000 years ago.... but everybody needs to be awed by their acute reasoning abilities. 0.o

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min Into The Night 80,112
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 9 min Dogen 32,621
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) 31 min Eagle 12 - 182
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 3 hr Amused 70
what science will NEVER be able to prove Mon Eagle 12 - 10
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Mon Eagle 12 - 106
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Sep 20 The pope 258,485
More from around the web