'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

Jul 5, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NewsOK.com

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Comments
7,261 - 7,280 of 7,541 Comments Last updated May 29, 2014
Thinking

Salisbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2014

Judged:

http://justfuckinggoogleit.com
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Don't know what a proxy server is please explain.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2014

Judged:

So What wrote:
<quoted text>I was talking about nail polish fumes. I've walked by and it smelled like they just sprayed a lacquer job on a 57 Chevy.
Yeah, me to. The mind wanders. Their pitiful little particulate masks couldn't possibly help that. But, I suppose it makes 'em feel better, like in their struggles against Bird Flu or air pollution.
So What

Choctaw, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2014

Judged:

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, me to. The mind wanders. Their pitiful little particulate masks couldn't possibly help that. But, I suppose it makes 'em feel better, like in their struggles against Bird Flu or air pollution.
I'll bet Wal-Mart is making them, so they can say "we aren't at fault" if they would happen to be sued because it happened on their property.
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2014

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>

Yeah, me to. The mind wanders. Their pitiful little particulate
masks couldn't possibly help that. But, I suppose it makes 'em
feel better, like in their struggles against Bird Flu or air pollution.
More great philosophy found in the bottom of a bottle.
Great things are discovered by self-proclaimed red-necks
everyday and then disappear when sobriety returns.

Look at all the colors in that beer. Let your mind wander morely.

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2014

Judged:

WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
More great philosophy found in the bottom of a bottle.
Great things are discovered by self-proclaimed red-necks
everyday and then disappear when sobriety returns.
Look at all the colors in that beer. Let your mind wander morely.
Of all my failures, foibles, weaknesses, bad habits, misconceptions and problems ... you've decided to grasp at one that doesn't exist. Well done! Must be a Godbot thing. Very perceptive! LOL
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>

Of all my failures, foibles, weaknesses, bad habits, misconceptions
and problems ... you've decided to grasp at one that doesn't exist.
Well done! Must be a Godbot thing. Very perceptive! LOL
And you don't consider calling yourself a blue collar philosopher
one of your major problems ? Emperor Napoleon had a less distorted
view of himself. Have you heard voices lately. What's your mission
from God. The God Michelob is calling your name again.

Tell us again how to achieve world peace.

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

Judged:

WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
And you don't consider calling yourself a blue collar philosopher
one of your major problems ? Emperor Napoleon had a less distorted
view of himself. Have you heard voices lately. What's your mission
from God. The God Michelob is calling your name again.
Tell us again how to achieve world peace.
World peace? Simple. Start educating out religion and other antiquated concepts ... Nationalism for example. Feed the starving. Control the consumption of Earth's natural resources and see that proceeds are distributed fairly and spent towards the greater good.

I never equated "blue collar" with Red Necks or Alcoholism. You clearly do. Here in Realityland, where I live, it's common knowledge that religion is the most effective Red Neck generating machine ever devised.

To me, "blue collar" is simply a member of the workforce who does not hold some sort of a degree. "Philosopher" is someone who muses about God, the Universe and Everything while being extremely attractive and intelligent sounding. Me, me, me ... and me. No distortion here, Matey.

I suggest you examine yourself with the same razor-sharp acumen you apply to people you don't know. Maybe consult a shrink. That's free advice from a Blue Collar Psychiatrist. Next time, I'm gonna have to charge ya. Maybe a chicken or a bowl of your wife's homemade grits.

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

Judged:

On an Alcoholic note, after a particularly trying Blue Collar and old Grampa day, I poured a shot of "Clan Ben - Old Scotch Whisky" into a glass of Coke. It ruined the Coke. I simply don't have the stomach or tastebuds for the Alky lifestyle. Nothing morally or philosophically agin it, mind you. Just ain't for me. Nasty stuff.

The Scotch was a gift from a ship's Captain after I fixed his RADAR. Now maybe people smart enough to fix ship RADAR's shouldn't call themselves "blue collar" or "uneducated". I don't know. I didn't learn my skill set in a college or University. I learned it the Hard Way. School of Hard Knocks, I call it, and I'm about to graduate so I don't really give a shyte.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

Judged:

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I dunno. Doesn't sound like much fun for the unfortunate Asian girl. Some of those Nail Salons seem like modern day sweat shops full of chemical fumes and exploited workers. My sympathies tend towards the exploited workers, perhaps because I count myself amongst their numbers (at some level). Why can't people groom themselves? I can see cutting your own hair is a problem, but the rest of it? There's a gulf that exists between the pampered and the pamperers that needs filling. Harkens back to the slave days and the "I'm better'n you, Holier than thou" ways that is the REAL root of all evil.
I agree with you on all points you express, here.

I even cut my own hair-- since I keep it really short? It's quite simple to run an electric hair-cutting tool over my scalp every couple of weeks (I use an attachment that automatically keeps each hair the same length, about 3/8 of an inch in the summer).

I also think the switch over to a Service Economy is not doing our country any good, economically. We **used** to be a country of durable goods; the sole source of high tech too, like airplanes, and radios.

We were also the world leader in pure research-- any cutting-edge discoveries always seemed to have an American University attached to it.

No more-- we haven't been at the top of those for years, decades even.

But we are one of the leading **service**sector** employers. And the resultant disconnect between the top-pay and the average pay has reached record differences not seen since before the 1920's.

It's not good for the future of the US..... Too many people at the top, doing exactly **nothing** and not enough spenders at the bottom -- they lack the money **to** spend, actually ....

...meh.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

Judged:

Sam wrote:
God must like killing, starvation, poverty, and so forth because this earth has an abundance of ignorant people who think their god approves of their stupid.

Go god fearing people, kill your neighbor for the shade of his skin or his broken English or because he believes a little bit different from you.
Can you really blame these non-thinking people?

What you say? Is in their **books** after all!

The Quoran, the Bible, the Book of Moron--erm--Mormon? These each describe why killing the non-conformist (to the books' religion) is not only "Good" and "Right" but if you don't? You get punished... severely.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

Judged:

Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Says some pseudonymous poster on the Internet who offers no proof. So of course we should all drop our carefully reasoned positions and all say "yeah, what that guy said". Not likely.
LMAO!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
There are trolls and there are trolls. Some of the brighter ones are even entertaining.(I actually miss the Okie who used to write the "debil" stories.) I just skip over the mindless tit-for-tat stuff like Karen whatsername and whoever, and anti is dumb enough to roast marshmallows in the bag. I have no doubt at all that he does in fact Judge-it himself and others that many times. I stacked 5 icons on my own posts to make a point - you don't think that certain childish troll wouldn't stack 6 in an attempt to obscure it?
Yes... Anti displays all the traits of someone who is severely OCD.

I really should not mess with him as I do-- I wrote a little software engine, that lets me--with one click-- stack up to 10 of each of 3 (30 total) icons I like.

I have watched Anti frantically try to undo that-- one mouse-click at a time.

It *is* mean of me to torment him this way, but he's such a deserving douchenozzle... it's so frikkin'**funny**.

But like all things topix that are not intellectual? I grew bored with even that tiny amusement. These days I mostly talk to Real People™-- you know, non-believers.

:)

It makes it much more interesting that way-- like you, I just skip over the trash.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
But antiatheist is going to the trouble of using extra browsers or somesuch to vote its own posts up, which is pretty sad.
<quoted text>
I have watched him do it-- by refreshing the page (or clicking on the permalink--the little blue post number) you can watch the icons change.

When Anti is doing his own posts? They change at about the same rate a person can do, by manually clicking it one icon at a time-- that's **five**(5) clicks for each set of 3.

It's kinda sad to witness, really-- his level of OCD ought to be treated with medication.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
http://justfuckinggoogleit.com
<quoted text>
BRILLIANT!

Bookmarked for future reference.

Brilliant find, and so apropos.

<laffin>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

Judged:

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes--as an allergy suffer myself, I have tried various masks to block the particles that cause allergies.

Most allergic particles are so tiny, that the best masks in the world, let them through.

And those stupid paper things? Your average **nose** is superior at filtering than those dumb things are-- they only block large dust crumbs that your nose would block anyhow.

Of course, if one is working in a very high dust environment, such as sanding sheetrock? Then, yeah, those paper thingies help to keep your nose from becoming overwhelmed.

Of course, not everything is a particle-- some things in the air are vapor or fumes-- for those, you need a carbon-type filter.(I've used those, too-- they are better than the paper ones, but still allow some particulates through.)

Usually, when I see someone walking around with a paper filter "mask"? I conclude they are simply OCD, and were advised to use the paper filter as a kind of sugar-pill for what *really* ails them-- their own obsessive-compulsive behavior issues.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

Judged:

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Of all my failures, foibles, weaknesses, bad habits, misconceptions and problems ... you've decided to grasp at one that doesn't exist. Well done! Must be a Godbot thing. Very perceptive! LOL
LMAO!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
World peace? Simple. Start educating out religion and other antiquated concepts ... Nationalism for example. Feed the starving. Control the consumption of Earth's natural resources and see that proceeds are distributed fairly and spent towards the greater good.
I never equated "blue collar" with Red Necks or Alcoholism. You clearly do. Here in Realityland, where I live, it's common knowledge that religion is the most effective Red Neck generating machine ever devised.

To me, "blue collar" is simply a member of the workforce who does not hold some sort of a degree. "Philosopher" is someone who muses about God, the Universe and Everything while being extremely attractive and intelligent sounding. Me, me, me ... and me. No distortion here, Matey.

I suggest you examine yourself with the same razor-sharp acumen you apply to people you don't know. Maybe consult a shrink. That's free advice from a Blue Collar Psychiatrist. Next time, I'm gonna have to charge ya. Maybe a chicken or a bowl of your wife's homemade grits.
Brilliantly said!

And I so identify with your assessment of "blue collar philosopher". Nice.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

Judged:

RHill wrote:
On an Alcoholic note, after a particularly trying Blue Collar and old Grampa day, I poured a shot of "Clan Ben - Old Scotch Whisky" into a glass of Coke. It ruined the Coke. I simply don't have the stomach or tastebuds for the Alky lifestyle. Nothing morally or philosophically agin it, mind you. Just ain't for me. Nasty stuff.

The Scotch was a gift from a ship's Captain after I fixed his RADAR. Now maybe people smart enough to fix ship RADAR's shouldn't call themselves "blue collar" or "uneducated". I don't know. I didn't learn my skill set in a college or University. I learned it the Hard Way. School of Hard Knocks, I call it, and I'm about to graduate so I don't really give a shyte.
LOL!

Your story reminds me of one of my own (re: alcohol). As a childhood severe allergy sufferer, I was frequently submitted to the Latest Allergy Cure, masquerading as medicine. Many of these came in the form of a tincture-- obviously the active ingredients would not readily dissolve in water (hence the use of ethanol as the carrier), which always tasted as hideous as is possible to be. Naturally, not being complete monsters, the fabricators of these torture-in-a-bottle, would then attempt to mask it with.... flavorings.

Cherry seemed to be the artificial flavor of choice.

(to this day, I really do not much care for cherries as a result, artificial or real--doesn't matter-- they evoke such horrid memories of vile liquids in the very back of my mind...)

By the time I was 20, as these things go, I grew out of my severe allergies, and even now am no longer bothered by it, much, thank the FSM. <grin>

But in my 30's I was attending a largish get-together with friends. Alcohol was one of the drinks of choice, and I would occasionally imbibe a glass of wine here and there. It was a festive night, and people were talking up their wines or drinks of choice, some bringing out treasured brands/recipes for the general tasting.

Then one fellow produced a bottle of rather expensive cognac, and offered it up to anyone who wished to taste it.

I tried it-- and it was *so* similar to one of my childhood torture-remedies that I had a coughing fit. That taste dredged up such memories of vile liquids I could not even be polite about it (my habit is to *always* be polite if someone is offering me a gift of food or drink--always). Fortunately, my serving was quite small ... so I didn't feel too guilty at wasting it.

The connoisseur of the cognac dryly observed, it was an acquired taste.

Indeed.

<laffin>

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2014

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
Your story reminds me of one of my own (re: alcohol). As a childhood severe allergy sufferer, I was frequently submitted to the Latest Allergy Cure, masquerading as medicine. Many of these came in the form of a tincture-- obviously the active ingredients would not readily dissolve in water (hence the use of ethanol as the carrier), which always tasted as hideous as is possible to be. Naturally, not being complete monsters, the fabricators of these torture-in-a-bottle, would then attempt to mask it with.... flavorings.
Cherry seemed to be the artificial flavor of choice.
(to this day, I really do not much care for cherries as a result, artificial or real--doesn't matter-- they evoke such horrid memories of vile liquids in the very back of my mind...)
By the time I was 20, as these things go, I grew out of my severe allergies, and even now am no longer bothered by it, much, thank the FSM. <grin>
But in my 30's I was attending a largish get-together with friends. Alcohol was one of the drinks of choice, and I would occasionally imbibe a glass of wine here and there. It was a festive night, and people were talking up their wines or drinks of choice, some bringing out treasured brands/recipes for the general tasting.
Then one fellow produced a bottle of rather expensive cognac, and offered it up to anyone who wished to taste it.
I tried it-- and it was *so* similar to one of my childhood torture-remedies that I had a coughing fit. That taste dredged up such memories of vile liquids I could not even be polite about it (my habit is to *always* be polite if someone is offering me a gift of food or drink--always). Fortunately, my serving was quite small ... so I didn't feel too guilty at wasting it.
The connoisseur of the cognac dryly observed, it was an acquired taste.
Indeed.
<laffin>
Definitely an "acquired taste" ... all of it. Lots of better ways to destroy yourself or escape reality, if that is your intent. Don't get me wrong, I can and will 'get pissed' if the right circumstances present themselves. They rarely do.

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2014

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you on all points you express, here.
I even cut my own hair-- since I keep it really short? It's quite simple to run an electric hair-cutting tool over my scalp every couple of weeks (I use an attachment that automatically keeps each hair the same length, about 3/8 of an inch in the summer).
I also think the switch over to a Service Economy is not doing our country any good, economically. We **used** to be a country of durable goods; the sole source of high tech too, like airplanes, and radios.
We were also the world leader in pure research-- any cutting-edge discoveries always seemed to have an American University attached to it.
No more-- we haven't been at the top of those for years, decades even.
But we are one of the leading **service**sector** employers. And the resultant disconnect between the top-pay and the average pay has reached record differences not seen since before the 1920's.
It's not good for the future of the US..... Too many people at the top, doing exactly **nothing** and not enough spenders at the bottom -- they lack the money **to** spend, actually ....
...meh.
The Powers-that-Be seem dead set on denying Americans the simple dignity that comes from creating something or producing something of value. We've got to scurry around like demented rats fix'n this or fix'n that while our salesmen are busy trying to make their margins pushing products so cheap, most are not WORTH fixing. Heavy Marine was an exception but they've priced themselves out of the competition unless there's taxpayer dollars involved. It's a dirty business and I'll be glad to be shed of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••