'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7475 Apr 18, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>]LOL! I was doing so well? Sounds like someone is a little self centered. I hate to break the news to you, but I'm not here for your PEE pleasure.
Nature intended us to try and avoid pain? I don't think you comprehended what pain I was referring to. I was talking about emotional pain. You feel it everyday about your Mom and Friend. The pain that helps you to believe there is no God.
Pain is not a required component of building a good character? I was taught that pain was a good teacher, not only physical but emotional pain. Physical to keep you from doing what you are doing, and to not do it again. But more importantly emotional pain that drives us to help others to not suffer.
If you're awake now, and not being driven just because you have to PEE, you might want to go back and read all the maybes and the word concept. I was trying to have a reasonable conversation about the topic that really makes me wonder if people are being truthful about being atheists when they talk about GOD so much.
I find it interesting that you would quote fiction to try and prove fiction,(you do know Shakespeare was a fictionist?) right after you called me crazy.
I'm very sorry your Mom suffered the way she did, but I remember you stating that she was a Devout Christian so maybe when it is your time to expire, she will be waiting at Heaven's Gate to tell you one more time "I told you so", now come on in I have something to discuss with you. Because I believe even people that don't believe but are good people are accepted into Heaven.
You just will have to do all the cleaning. LOL!( just a joke)
Yeah ... thought you were almost 'normal' for a while. Not sure how that makes me "self centered", commenting on someone else's condition, but ... okay. Pretty sure we're all self centered to some degree or other. Of course, emotions and mental health issues are another matter. I mention my Mother more, perhaps, than I should but her experience is probably typical and seems to illustrate some of our points. As the 'baby' of the family, I realized years ago that I would probably get to watch everyone who preceded me die. I try not to let it bother me too much. We all have our allotted 'time in the Sun'... so it goes. Bit harder when someone goes before their time. But, hell ... I'm 'preaching to the choir' we're all Human and we all must bear these same burdens. Atheists just don't get to ameliorate their grief with all the 'called home' and 'in a better place' business. My Spock eyebrow gets quite a workout at funerals.

Emotional pain, physical pain, loss, addiction, the comic books we read as kids ... yep ... character building stuff. An adult Human's personality is the summation of so much programming, manipulation, nurturing, education ... yada, yada, yada that assigning something like 'pain' a pivotal role may be lending it a bit too much weight. Most citizens of Western Civilization have it pretty cush ... yet character continues to get built.

I'm 61 years old. I've been what you might call a 'skeptical inquirer' since I learned to read. My Mommy quit making me go to church when I was like 13 or so. I've been on Topix since 2008. Been pondering this stuff for a lifetime and finally have a place to talk about it. Yeah. Pretty sure I ain't faking the 'NO GOD' stuff.

If there was a Shakespeare quote in the referenced post, I am not aware of it. Feel free to point it out so I'll know next time. I've got a lot of stuff swirling around the cesspool of my mind and no idea where a lot of it came from.

I firmly believe the odds of a mother and child reunion are nil. I believe the chances of anyone, regardless of their goodness or belief system, getting to a place, a heaven, after their biological functions cease are likewise nil. I believe that everything we are, everything we will ever be or have ever been, plays out during our life times and there is no more. That's it. Finito.

Texas, USA

#7476 Apr 18, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>]LOL! I was doing so well? Sounds like someone is a little self centered. I hate to break the news to you, but I'm not here for your PEE pleasure.
Nature intended us to try and avoid pain? I don't think you comprehended what pain I was referring to. I was talking about emotional pain. You feel it everyday about your Mom and Friend. The pain that helps you to believe there is no God.
Pain is not a required component of building a good character? I was taught that pain was a good teacher, not only physical but emotional pain. Physical to keep you from doing what you are doing, and to not do it again. But more importantly emotional pain that drives us to help others to not suffer.
If you're awake now, and not being driven just because you have to PEE, you might want to go back and read all the maybes and the word concept. I was trying to have a reasonable conversation about the topic that really makes me wonder if people are being truthful about being atheists when they talk about GOD so much.
I find it interesting that you would quote fiction to try and prove fiction,(you do know Shakespeare was a fictionist?) right after you called me crazy.
I'm very sorry your Mom suffered the way she did, but I remember you stating that she was a Devout Christian so maybe when it is your time to expire, she will be waiting at Heaven's Gate to tell you one more time "I told you so", now come on in I have something to discuss with you. Because I believe even people that don't believe but are good people are accepted into Heaven.
You just will have to do all the cleaning. LOL!( just a joke)
Yeah ... thought you were almost 'normal' for a while. Not sure how that makes me "self centered", commenting on someone else's condition, but ... okay. Pretty sure we're all self centered to some degree or other. Of course, emotions and mental health issues are another matter. I mention my Mother more, perhaps, than I should but her experience is probably typical and seems to illustrate some of our points. As the 'baby' of the family, I realized years ago that I would probably get to watch everyone who preceded me die. I try not to let it bother me too much. We all have our allotted 'time in the Sun'... so it goes. Bit harder when someone goes before their time. But, hell ... I'm 'preaching to the choir' we're all Human and we all must bear these same burdens. Atheists just don't get to ameliorate their grief with all the 'called home' and 'in a better place' business. My Spock eyebrow gets quite a workout at funerals.

Emotional pain, physical pain, loss, addiction, the comic books we read as kids ... yep ... character building stuff. An adult Human's personality is the summation of so much programming, manipulation, nurturing, education ... yada, yada, yada that assigning something like 'pain' a pivotal role may be lending it a bit too much weight. Most citizens of Western Civilization have it pretty cush ... yet character continues to get built.

I'm 61 years old. I've been what you might call a 'skeptical inquirer' since I learned to read. My Mommy quit making me go to church when I was like 13 or so. I've been on Topix since 2008. Been pondering this stuff for a lifetime and finally have a place to talk about it. Yeah. Pretty sure I ain't faking the 'NO GOD' stuff.

If there was a Shakespeare quote in the referenced post, I am not aware of it. Feel free to point it out so I'll know next time. I've got a lot of stuff swirling around the cesspool of my mind and no idea where a lot of it came from.

I firmly believe the odds of a mother and child reunion are nil. I believe the chances of anyone, regardless of their goodness or belief system, getting to a place, a heaven, after their biological functions cease are likewise nil. I believe that everything we are, everything we will ever be or have ever been, plays out during our life time and there is no more. That's it. Finito.
So What

Newalla, OK

#7477 Apr 18, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a clown, whats the name of my restaurant? You are such a Jerry Sandusky,
Did your parents have any children that lived? Did your parents ever ask you to run away from home? Excellent time to become a missing person. All that you are you owe to your parents. Why don't you send them a penny and square the account? Are your parents siblings? Calling you stupid would be an insult to stupid people. Converse with any plankton lately?
LOL! Your weak. Is your corner man WarForOil stuck in traffic?

That slop bucket you call a restaurant is PERKINS, just South of I-240 on S. May Ave. across from Oklahoma City Community College.

Stick your chin out again. I liked watching spit fling out cha mouth. Come-on shake it off round 2 is about over. Don't go down now, I'm just getting warmed up.

Texas, USA

#7478 Apr 18, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a clown, whats the name of my restaurant? You are such a Jerry Sandusky,
Did your parents have any children that lived? Did your parents ever ask you to run away from home? Excellent time to become a missing person. All that you are you owe to your parents. Why don't you send them a penny and square the account? Are your parents siblings? Calling you stupid would be an insult to stupid people. Converse with any plankton lately?
Okay ... what's the deal? You and 'So What' neighbors or something? Herds water at the same creek? Kids go to the same school?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7479 Apr 18, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Maybe next time you're looking for hate, you should just look in the mirror, if you haven't broken them already.
You claim to be a Christian, are you just trying to wait it out to inherit the Earth? The way you're going all you deserve will be 6ft. under.
so what the more you talk the more you sound like a complete idiot. Your just mad because I think homosexuality is a sin...which it is. I don't hate anyone not even these atheist morons.
So What

Newalla, OK

#7480 Apr 18, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I firmly believe the odds of a mother and child reunion are nil. I believe the chances of anyone, regardless of their goodness or belief system, getting to a place, a heaven, after their biological functions cease are likewise nil. I believe that everything we are, everything we will ever be or have ever been, plays out during our life time and there is no more. That's it. Finito.
61? You look and sound good. Except your pee problem and your hat, I would have to say you still got it going on. I would wish you a good Easter but I've never really been into celebrating someone's death even Jesus's. So have a good weekend. Give someone in your family a reason to laugh at you. That's what they love to remember.

I got a fight I have to get back to.
So What

Newalla, OK

#7481 Apr 18, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
so what the more you talk the more you sound like a complete idiot. Your just mad because I think homosexuality is a sin...which it is. I don't hate anyone not even these atheist morons.
LOL! Yes you do! YOURSELF
So What

Newalla, OK

#7482 Apr 18, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay ... what's the deal? You and 'So What' neighbors or something? Herds water at the same creek? Kids go to the same school?
NO PREVIEWS! You will have to stay tuned.

Get off your bike and come back to the middle of the ring Karen! I noticed I hit you hard enough that you ran back to your favorite forum just long enough to take a couple of cheap shots at TAMARA.

I'm going to Rabbit Punch you for that. Come on take a wild swing. I dare you!

Ding-Ding! End of Round 2

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7483 Apr 18, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Stay in your car and run the fecker over. Their god is unable to defeat iron chariots.
<quoted text>
Oooh! Excellent idea-- I suggest we all do that.

The bible-god will have tire tracks all over his face.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7484 Apr 18, 2014
Thinking wrote:
If god was all powerful, the 2nd law of thermodynamics wouldn't apply.
<quoted text>
Oooh! Good point.

Neither would the action-reaction law-- as the god apparently causes action from nothing.
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7485 Apr 18, 2014
Slow Twat wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Your weak. Is your corner man WarForOil stuck in traffic?
That slop bucket you call a restaurant is PERKINS, just South of I-240 on S. May Ave. across from Oklahoma City Community College.
Stick your chin out again. I liked watching spit fling out cha mouth. Come-on shake it off round 2 is about over. Don't go down now, I'm just getting warmed up.
That bothers me? Why don't you post my real name? Why don't you post my address? All you've got is a restaurant called PERKIN"S? Spit come out my mouth? Is this really all you have got? Someone serves a crappy chicken fry? Why don't you really insult me next time, lol.

If you were twice as smart, you'd still be stupid. You're so stupid you threw a rock at the ground and missed. You are so stupid you got hit by a parked car. Whom am I calling "stupid"? I don't know, What's your name?
When you were born, God admitted that even He could make a mistake! When God was throwing intelligence down to the Earth, you were holding an umbrella. You were the answer to a prayer. Your parents prayed that the world would be made to suffer and here you came along. You were born because your mother didn't believe in abortion; now she believes in infanticide. You're so ugly, you had tinted windows on your incubator. When you were a child your mother wanted to hire someone to take care of you but the Mafia wanted too much. We heard that when you ran away from home your folks sent you a note saying, "Do not come home and all will be forgiven." They say truth is stranger than fiction. Look, your mother gave birth to you. The overwhelming power of the sex drive was demonstrated by the fact that someone was willing to father you. People can't say that you have absolutely nothing! After all, you have inferiority! People say that you are the perfect idiot. I say that you are not perfect but you are doing all right. Perhaps your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others. Slit your wrists - it will lower your blood pressure. Why not take a vacation? Go to Club-Dead. They just invented a new coffin just for you that goes over the head. It's for people who are dead from the neck up. Instead of being born again, why don't you just grow up?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7486 Apr 18, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Yes you do! YOURSELF
Oh so now I hate myself??? Ha..........you are pretty desperate and idiotic if thats the best you can come up with. You aren't married right? I can't imagine a man putting up with you.
So What

Newalla, OK

#7487 Apr 18, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
That bothers me? Why don't you post my real name? Why don't you post my address? All you've got is a restaurant called PERKIN"S? Spit come out my mouth? Is this really all you have got? Someone serves a crappy chicken fry? Why don't you really insult me next time, lol.
If you were twice as smart, you'd still be stupid. You're so stupid you threw a rock at the ground and missed. You are so stupid you got hit by a parked car. Whom am I calling "stupid"? I don't know, What's your name?
When you were born, God admitted that even He could make a mistake! When God was throwing intelligence down to the Earth, you were holding an umbrella. You were the answer to a prayer. Your parents prayed that the world would be made to suffer and here you came along. You were born because your mother didn't believe in abortion; now she believes in infanticide. You're so ugly, you had tinted windows on your incubator. When you were a child your mother wanted to hire someone to take care of you but the Mafia wanted too much. We heard that when you ran away from home your folks sent you a note saying, "Do not come home and all will be forgiven." They say truth is stranger than fiction. Look, your mother gave birth to you. The overwhelming power of the sex drive was demonstrated by the fact that someone was willing to father you. People can't say that you have absolutely nothing! After all, you have inferiority! People say that you are the perfect idiot. I say that you are not perfect but you are doing all right. Perhaps your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others. Slit your wrists - it will lower your blood pressure. Why not take a vacation? Go to Club-Dead. They just invented a new coffin just for you that goes over the head. It's for people who are dead from the neck up. Instead of being born again, why don't you just grow up?
LOL! Your corner crew is doing a pretty good job building you courage back up. They must be getting paid by the round. Look across the ring, that's me grinning at you.

Ding Round 3

Why don't you tell everyone why you would like the Liberal Government that you long for so badly to kick our doors down and take all our firearms. It's time you tried to win a round and you're not going to be able to do that without answering the personal questions.
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7488 Apr 18, 2014
Slow Twat wrote:
<quoted text>I would wish you a good Easter but I've never really been into celebrating someone's death even Jesus's.
Jeez you are so stoopid... If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fart. If you had another brain like the one you've got, you'd still be a half-wit. If someone were to give a penny for your thoughts, they would get change back. I know you are nobody's fool but maybe someone will adopt you.
Easter is a Lunar Holiday you imbecile. Christians have often intentionally placed their symbols and labels on top of pagan symbols and labels because they believe this represents the conquest of the Lordship of Christ. Where did all of the strange customs come from, which have nothing to do with the resurrection of your Saviour? "Ishtar", which is pronounced "Easter" was a day that commemorated the resurrection of a pagan god that they called "Tammuz", who was believed to be the only begotten son of the moon-goddess and the sun-god.

Go ahead and show your knowledge stoopid but Easter was a holiday way before christ was pooping on the earth. Jeez you are stoopid...If you were a body of water, you'd be a kiddie pool. I'd like to give you a going-away present ... but you have to do your part.
So What

Newalla, OK

#7489 Apr 18, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Your corner crew is doing a pretty good job building you courage back up. They must be getting paid by the round. Look across the ring, that's me grinning at you.
Ding Round 3
Why don't you tell everyone why you would like the Liberal Government that you long for so badly to kick our doors down and take all our firearms. It's time you tried to win a round and you're not going to be able to do that without answering the personal questions.
While you're busy fighting your demons off, I'll think I'll go back to our old stumping grounds and invite a few of your friends to come to front row. TAMARA, Packing Heat,-The Artist- and Doesntmatter. I'll bet they will heckle you, what do you think?
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7491 Apr 18, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>While you're busy fighting your demons off, I'll think I'll go back to our old stumping grounds and invite a few of your friends to come to front row. TAMARA, Packing Heat,-The Artist- and Doesntmatter. I'll bet they will heckle you, what do you think?
Ahhh <frowns> and you were beating me so badly now you have to go get more ding dongs to do your work... MANGINA!!! it stinks, its really your @ss and it isnt self cleaning!

Body Slam! Boom! Whats that a tear? Hey one question... Is your brother an only child?
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7492 Apr 18, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>While you're busy fighting your demons off, I'll think I'll go back to our old stumping grounds and invite a few of your friends to come to front row. TAMARA, Packing Heat,-The Artist- and Doesntmatter. I'll bet they will heckle you, what do you think?
I hear you changed your mind! What did you do with the diaper?
I don't know what makes you so stupid, but it really works!
I believe in respect for the dead; in fact I could only respect you if you WERE dead.
How many years did it take you to learn how to breathe?
If shit was music, you'd be an orchestra.
ding ding ding... BOOM!
So What

Newalla, OK

#7493 Apr 18, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeez you are so stoopid... If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fart. If you had another brain like the one you've got, you'd still be a half-wit. If someone were to give a penny for your thoughts, they would get change back. I know you are nobody's fool but maybe someone will adopt you.
Easter is a Lunar Holiday you imbecile. Christians have often intentionally placed their symbols and labels on top of pagan symbols and labels because they believe this represents the conquest of the Lordship of Christ. Where did all of the strange customs come from, which have nothing to do with the resurrection of your Saviour? "Ishtar", which is pronounced "Easter" was a day that commemorated the resurrection of a pagan god that they called "Tammuz", who was believed to be the only begotten son of the moon-goddess and the sun-god.
Go ahead and show your knowledge stoopid but Easter was a holiday way before christ was pooping on the earth. Jeez you are stoopid...If you were a body of water, you'd be a kiddie pool. I'd like to give you a going-away present ... but you have to do your part.
Stop running and answer the question.

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#7495 Apr 18, 2014
Hi! I've made a blog discussing the ignorance of people when it comes to racism, religious tolerance, and sexual orientation. My goal is to fight the cultural ignoramuses that fuel discrimination by educating the public about the importance of diversity. I hope you guys can check it out and give me feedback!(:

Here's the link: http://eliminatingignorance2014.blogspot.com/
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7496 Apr 18, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Stop running and answer the question.
Whatever it is that is eating you, it must be suffering horribly. What question was it again slow twat? fracking causing earthquakes or that I want the government to violate our second amendment. That the moon landing was a hoax. 911 was an inside job. Mary Fallin is really an alien?

Why don't you find that thread and come back with a link to it hmmm? Talk is cheap. but that's OK - so are you.

You're so stoopid Were you the first in your family born without a tail?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 min replaytime 35,048
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 16 min woodtick57 20,092
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr superwilly 3,710
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 2 hr Thinking 155
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr ChristineM 14,939
There are no such things as gods or fairies 9 hr Amused 102
Majority of Scots now have no religion 9 hr Amused 163
More from around the web