'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7429 Apr 18, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT WERE THEY SUPPOSED TO SAY? STONE AGE? Your cup of ignorance runneth over in a big way.
His ignorance goes hand-in-glove with his unlimited hate.

The two fuel each other like a runaway fission reactor...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7430 Apr 18, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Surely your not suggesting you would feel different towards your children when they become adults as you do towards them as children. I didn't think so.
Nope-- I have no idea **how** you even got that one out of what I wrote... WTF? Did you even read my post **at** all?
So What wrote:
Maybe God is so compassionate towards babies that he is allowing us to feel the way you do about them. Maybe if God didn't feel about babies like you do, he wouldn't have created them in the first place.
Now you're just making up excuses left-and-right, to cover up the **fact** that your god is the single most frequent killer of babies in the entire history of the planet-- bar NONE.

For, to a god, a simple childhood disease is easy to engineer **OUT** of our DNA-- but is this the case? Nope.

Only in the last 200 years, have humans figured out how to reduce the DEATH RATE OF BABIES, with common sanitation and such. Prior to that? MOST BABIES DIED BY AGE 5.

Of what we now see as easy-to-prevent causes.

For a GOD? These would have been dirt simple to prevent.

HE DID NOT EVEN BOTHER TO PUT A SECTION IN THE BIBLE ABOUT SANITATION!

That is a fail that is so EPIC? It is beyond sadistic-- IF YOUR GOD IS REAL.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7431 Apr 18, 2014
So What wrote:
God has allowed every one for the purpose of transforming us into the likeness of His Son. You don't have to believe to at least appreciate the concept of Jesus.
You cannot "transform" if you are DEAD.

And you cannot even appreciate that whole idea, IF YOUR BRAIN IS UNDEVELOPED.

As is the case for all babies before the age of 1-ish.

And, until the modern era? The odds of that baby surviving was about 1 in 2...

Face it-- throughout history, your god is a BABY KILLER.

Just by doing...

...**nothing**.

Jesus ain't got nothing to do with this either.
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#7432 Apr 18, 2014
You spelled "erection" incorrectly, BSer.
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
atheist are vile and angry all the time but they really ramp it up during Easter and Christmas. I guess they feel more threatened at those times. We celebrate the resurrection of Jesus.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7433 Apr 18, 2014
So What wrote:
Sometimes it requires pain to refine our character and to remove our selfish, sinful attitudes.
You are so egocentric, here it is almost impossible to explain it to you-- getting past **YOUR** ego appears to be nearly impossible.

It's not about YOU.

It **IS** about all those DEAD BABIES, that your god could have prevented.

A dead infant has no character to refine. It has no selfish attitude-- it's just a bundle of animistic drives, responses and reactions. IT HAS NO PERSONALITY--NOT YET.

But, because your do-nothing god LETS IT DIE?

IT WILL NEVER-EVER GET ONE.

Ever.

No more than an amoeba will learn to write a symphony.

It's not about YOU. It's not about the baby's PARENTS.

Neither is it about that baby's RELATIVES.

It's about the FACT, that your god-- BY DOING NOTHING-- allowed that human-to-become-- TO DIE.

From a condition that, for a GOD, was easy to prevent.

All it would've taken? Is re-engineering a baby's immune system to be...

..... PERFECT AT BIRTH.

Is that so hard?(for a god)

.... apparently....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7434 Apr 18, 2014
So What wrote:
I believe God has a purpose for the pain in my life that is for my ultimate good, even though everything about it looks and feels bad. It helps me to decide from right and wrong.
Rather than running from my suffering or trying to pray it away, I embrace God in it. It helps me to become a better person.
To quote Iron Man 2?

If you say "I" one more time, I'm going to hurl.

It isn't about YOU.

It IS about the fact that so many babies DIE-- even now.

That is suffering that is PREVENTABLE.

Easy for a god: lower the fertility rate of humans, and then fix it such that EVERY BABY SURVIVES-- at least until the age of reason.

What more sign would we (as a race) need than that?(of god's ACTUAL caring nature?)

In one simple change, humans would NOT endanger the planet by overpopulation AND, no infant would suffer a senseless early death.

No... the god you believe in?

IS AN UNCARING MONSTER-- WITHOUT LIMITS.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7435 Apr 18, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Yes. An all powerful god could do anything.
<quoted text>
Correct.

These people are so ego-centric, that they cannot see past their OWN point of view.

... meh.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7436 Apr 18, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. I see you managed to get the cap off that bottle of crazy pills! And you were doing so well.
For your benefit, here is the purpose of "pain" in a nutshell:
Pain hurts. Nature intended for us to try and avoid it. So that we don't break ourselves. So that we can reproduce. The End
If you are in actual, chronic, physical pain ... get help. Try to make it stop. You will then be doing what God (Nature) intended for you. Pain is not a required component of building a good character. The pain drove my Mom mad in the end. The pills that would have helped were us trying to poison her. You wrap crazy in crazy ... all you gonna get is more crazy.
The primary lesson of the Jesus Myth is simply this:
Render unto Caesar. You are going to suffer. It will get better when you die. The End
Any questions?
Yep, yep aaaaaannnnd.... yep.

One **could** make a case that this god-thing,**knew** he was going to be an absentee "parent" and put in the pain, so that we humans could take care of ourselves all on our **own**, without a magical sky daddy.......

.... <laffin>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7437 Apr 18, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me! Let meeeeee!!!
God is dog spelled backwards.
The atheist, dyslexic flea keep saying "there is no dog".

But nobody believed him.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7438 Apr 18, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course he could. The God of the Bible is a ridiculous parody of a REAL god. Clearly made in our image. Totes around all of our foibles (amplified) with the petty demeanor of a spoiled child. Not someone to mess with ... I'll give 'em that. Look what he did with Katrina and that Japanese tsunami thing, not to mention the poor Jews. Humans just can't seem to find a way to appease the basterd. Ultimately, the plethora of religious effort is simply Mankind's attempts to MAKE IT STOP. But, despite our best efforts ... the Manna just keeps on coming!
Once you realize you are really a little, tiny cork, tossed about by a big, giant OCEAN (that doesn't know or care that you exist)... things start to make sense.
Agreed.

There is nothing moral about the behavior of the spoiled brat, that is the bible's "god".

Your typical 12 year old has better ethics...

... certainly more **empathy**.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7439 Apr 18, 2014
Thinking wrote:
If someone provides evidence god exists, I'll accept it. But I won't worship the evil POS.
<quoted text>
Damn straight.

If by some impossible twist of un-reality, the bible's god **IS** real?

I plan to hork one right in it's bullying eye...

... "every knee shall bow" my azz.... I'll be destroyed first, rather than bow to that monster.
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#7440 Apr 18, 2014
How come their gods are always so stunted and lacking in ambition?
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.
These people are so ego-centric, that they cannot see past their OWN point of view.
... meh.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7441 Apr 18, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
It comes in spurts! My brain seems to work best right after I pee. Go figure. You seem to be fairly consistent however. Must be an Okie thang. Enjoy your posts!
Reduced blood pressure?

<laffin>
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#7442 Apr 18, 2014
As did the dyslexic leaf.
<quoted text>
The atheist, dyslexic flea keep saying "there is no dog".
But nobody believed him.
:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7443 Apr 18, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say that science is still searching. By definition, science is a body of knowledge.
We search for answers to fill gaps in that knowledge, and "the God of the gaps did it with magic" is not an answer, it is a simplistic platitude no matter how hopefully you raise your eyes to the sky and sing praises to the heavenly hosts.
In your mind, fact is replaced by "God's own Truth" and you don't listen to anything else. Why should anyone else listen to you?
Fortunately for the human species?

Those gaps are getting smaller and smaller. As befitting a god who was infinitesimal to begin with.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7444 Apr 18, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
The only believable evidence would have to come from the god itself. Some miracles performed under laboratory controlled conditions would suffice.
I used to be quite good at faking UFO pictures. I'm talk'n pre-Photo Shop days, dark rooms, enlargers and all that. In fact, I got so good at it that it pretty much ruined my belief in "Flying Saucers". The 'bots will never be able to produce convincing evidence. Hell, they're still trying to learn to program VCR's and set the time on digital watches. Anecdotes, small voices and tingly feelings ... it's all they got.
<laffin>

I can picture it now-- under that dusty 20-pound "family" bible? That VCR's clock blinks 12:00...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7445 Apr 18, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Good point on evidence. Was the bible written:
a) in 1000 mile high letters made of diamonds orbiting Mars?
or...
b) by some goatfuckers?
<quoted text>
... and those early sheep were nervous too...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7446 Apr 18, 2014
Thinking wrote:
You spelled "erection" incorrectly, BSer.
<quoted text>
LMAO!
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#7447 Apr 18, 2014
Stay in your car and run the fecker over. Their god is unable to defeat iron chariots.
<quoted text>
Damn straight.
If by some impossible twist of un-reality, the bible's god **IS** real?
I plan to hork one right in it's bullying eye...
... "every knee shall bow" my azz.... I'll be destroyed first, rather than bow to that monster.
So What

Newalla, OK

#7448 Apr 18, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. I see you managed to get the cap off that bottle of crazy pills! And you were doing so well.
For your benefit, here is the purpose of "pain" in a nutshell:
Pain hurts. Nature intended for us to try and avoid it. So that we don't break ourselves. So that we can reproduce. The End
If you are in actual, chronic, physical pain ... get help. Try to make it stop. You will then be doing what God (Nature) intended for you. Pain is not a required component of building a good character. The pain drove my Mom mad in the end. The pills that would have helped were us trying to poison her. You wrap crazy in crazy ... all you gonna get is more crazy.
The primary lesson of the Jesus Myth is simply this:
Render unto Caesar. You are going to suffer. It will get better when you die. The End
Any questions?
]LOL! I was doing so well? Sounds like someone is a little self centered. I hate to break the news to you, but I'm not here for your PEE pleasure.

Nature intended us to try and avoid pain? I don't think you comprehended what pain I was referring to. I was talking about emotional pain. You feel it everyday about your Mom and Friend. The pain that helps you to believe there is no God.

Pain is not a required component of building a good character? I was taught that pain was a good teacher, not only physical but emotional pain. Physical to keep you from doing what you are doing, and to not do it again. But more importantly emotional pain that drives us to help others to not suffer.

If you're awake now, and not being driven just because you have to PEE, you might want to go back and read all the maybes and the word concept. I was trying to have a reasonable conversation about the topic that really makes me wonder if people are being truthful about being atheists when they talk about GOD so much.

I find it interesting that you would quote fiction to try and prove fiction,(you do know Shakespeare was a fictionist?) right after you called me crazy.

I'm very sorry your Mom suffered the way she did, but I remember you stating that she was a Devout Christian so maybe when it is your time to expire, she will be waiting at Heaven's Gate to tell you one more time "I told you so", now come on in I have something to discuss with you. Because I believe even people that don't believe but are good people are accepted into Heaven.

You just will have to do all the cleaning. LOL!( just a joke)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 7 min IB DaMann 51,648
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 1 hr Bunz6984 198
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Plum6303 22,121
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 4 hr Hedonist Heretic 1,654
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 5 hr Into The Night 5,796
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 7 hr scientia potentia... 24,677
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 7 hr Eagle 12 11,407
More from around the web