'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

Jul 5, 2013 Full story: NewsOK.com 7,541

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Full Story
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7401 Apr 17, 2014
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Cobblers are more complex than shoes. Carpenters are more complex than houses. A creator of the universe would necessarily be more complex than the universe it created. Yet, you have no difficulty asserting that this hypothetical "more complex than the universe" being simply popped into being and then magicked everything else into existence. It can't happen, my friend. Face reality.
Dammit! You guys have had all the humble pie you can eat and are in rare form! I don't think anyone of us are trying to be the new messiah for atheism any more than we are trying to get someone to stop shitting. We just know what shit smells like and would appreciate it if christards wouldn't shit so close to us!
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7402 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
oops you used the atheist catch phrase "bronze age" again. I guess you really can't help it since you have been programmed. The chances of the universe coming together by complete chance and evolving into what we have today are too great against it. To believe that, you must also believe that you can stick several pieces of metal in a room, wait 1 million years, and expect a 747 airplane to emerge. It can't happen my friend. Face reality
WHAT WERE THEY SUPPOSED TO SAY? STONE AGE? Your cup of ignorance runneth over in a big way.
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7404 Apr 17, 2014
Thinking wrote:
In a vast universe, possibly only one of many, alien life is very likely.
Yet we know for sure there is no all powerful compassionate god because we have evidence of avoidable suffering.
<quoted text>
But Sir... wait a minute. There must be a god because I see football players praying at football games.

Tim Tebow: Dar fotter in Heaven please let the broncos get to the Superbowl
Yahweh: Prayer answered
Newspaper: Broncos sign Payton Manning
Tim Tebow: Not like that fotter!
So What

Choctaw, OK

#7406 Apr 18, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I can think of hundreds of ways.
For starters? Were I in charge of things? I'd have engineered humans such that, infants are immune from fatal or debilitating diseases, until well after puberty.
I'd also have engineered women, such that they would not only know when they were fertile, they could choose to control it at will-- without pain. This would solve an entire host of issues/problems.
These are two simple things (for a god) I have done--
-- but your god seems both unwilling **and** incapable.
Think about this: most humans would make the effort to rescue infants from debilitating or fatal diseases.
But your god refuses.
Why *is* that?
And no-- it has got **nothing** to do with free will. We are speaking of **infants** here, who lack the intelligence to have free will.
The fact that most humans are **more** compassionate (about babies) that your god?
Says much-- about your deity -- none of it good.
Surely your not suggesting you would feel different towards your children when they become adults as you do towards them as children. I didn't think so.
Maybe God is so compassionate towards babies that he is allowing us to feel the way you do about them. Maybe if God didn't feel about babies like you do, he wouldn't have created them in the first place.
God has allowed every one for the purpose of transforming us into the likeness of His Son. You don't have to believe to at least appreciate the concept of Jesus.
Sometimes it requires pain to refine our character and to remove our selfish, sinful attitudes. Pain can do that. Or, pain can make us bitter. We can just become bitter when we don't get what we want out of life.
I believe God has a purpose for the pain in my life that is for my ultimate good, even though everything about it looks and feels bad. It helps me to decide from right and wrong.
Rather than running from my suffering or trying to pray it away, I embrace God in it. It helps me to become a better person.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#7407 Apr 18, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
But Sir... wait a minute. There must be a god because I see football players praying at football games.
Tim Tebow: Dar fotter in Heaven please let the broncos get to the Superbowl
Yahweh: Prayer answered
Newspaper: Broncos sign Payton Manning
Tim Tebow: Not like that fotter!
HAHAHAHA! Another way I can tell it is you, KAREN. Because you can't help but bash someone that doesn't THINK like you do.

Tell us how Tim Tebow has offended you?

You might want to recognize that the Atheists on this forum are asking me questions about my ideals, and NOT insulting me just because I believe differently from them. Something you have never been able to do with anyone.

You and Anti should start your own forum. You can call it, Two Immature Jackasses.

Oh by the way; your mother doesn't like you nearly as much as you claim she does. At least that is what she told her fellow workers when you both worked at the IRS together.

I warned you it is a small world, and I have plenty more where that came from. NOW GET!
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#7408 Apr 18, 2014
Yes. An all powerful god could do anything.
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Having said that, let me ask you this; if there was no pain and suffering, would we know what love and happiness truly was?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7409 Apr 18, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Surely your not suggesting you would feel different towards your children when they become adults as you do towards them as children. I didn't think so.
Maybe God is so compassionate towards babies that he is allowing us to feel the way you do about them. Maybe if God didn't feel about babies like you do, he wouldn't have created them in the first place.
God has allowed every one for the purpose of transforming us into the likeness of His Son. You don't have to believe to at least appreciate the concept of Jesus.
Sometimes it requires pain to refine our character and to remove our selfish, sinful attitudes. Pain can do that. Or, pain can make us bitter. We can just become bitter when we don't get what we want out of life.
I believe God has a purpose for the pain in my life that is for my ultimate good, even though everything about it looks and feels bad. It helps me to decide from right and wrong.
Rather than running from my suffering or trying to pray it away, I embrace God in it. It helps me to become a better person.
Wow. I see you managed to get the cap off that bottle of crazy pills! And you were doing so well.

For your benefit, here is the purpose of "pain" in a nutshell:

Pain hurts. Nature intended for us to try and avoid it. So that we don't break ourselves. So that we can reproduce. The End

If you are in actual, chronic, physical pain ... get help. Try to make it stop. You will then be doing what God (Nature) intended for you. Pain is not a required component of building a good character. The pain drove my Mom mad in the end. The pills that would have helped were us trying to poison her. You wrap crazy in crazy ... all you gonna get is more crazy.

The primary lesson of the Jesus Myth is simply this:

Render unto Caesar. You are going to suffer. It will get better when you die. The End

Any questions?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7410 Apr 18, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
define "god"
Let me! Let meeeeee!!!

God is dog spelled backwards.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7411 Apr 18, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Yes. An all powerful god could do anything.
<quoted text>
Of course he could. The God of the Bible is a ridiculous parody of a REAL god. Clearly made in our image. Totes around all of our foibles (amplified) with the petty demeanor of a spoiled child. Not someone to mess with ... I'll give 'em that. Look what he did with Katrina and that Japanese tsunami thing, not to mention the poor Jews. Humans just can't seem to find a way to appease the basterd. Ultimately, the plethora of religious effort is simply Mankind's attempts to MAKE IT STOP. But, despite our best efforts ... the Manna just keeps on coming!

Once you realize you are really a little, tiny cork, tossed about by a big, giant OCEAN (that doesn't know or care that you exist)... things start to make sense.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7412 Apr 18, 2014
I'm not saying it's "run to the store and get you some" sense. It's like staring into The Face of God. Reality is something we are not supposed to look at. I understand the allegory behind Moses, the Burning Bush and the Mounting of Olive Oil better now. Perhaps I can sleep.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7413 Apr 18, 2014
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#7414 Apr 18, 2014
If someone provides evidence god exists, I'll accept it. But I won't worship the evil POS.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course he could. The God of the Bible is a ridiculous parody of a REAL god. Clearly made in our image. Totes around all of our foibles (amplified) with the petty demeanor of a spoiled child. Not someone to mess with ... I'll give 'em that. Look what he did with Katrina and that Japanese tsunami thing, not to mention the poor Jews. Humans just can't seem to find a way to appease the basterd. Ultimately, the plethora of religious effort is simply Mankind's attempts to MAKE IT STOP. But, despite our best efforts ... the Manna just keeps on coming!
Once you realize you are really a little, tiny cork, tossed about by a big, giant OCEAN (that doesn't know or care that you exist)... things start to make sense.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7415 Apr 18, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheezus Crust why havenít you been posting more.
The fact that 'gawd' just loved us all so much he had to sacrifice someone to prove it, is asinine. I would have been more impressed had he just forgive Adam and Eve for the magical fruit but some reason that really stuck in his craw. Blood sacrifice? No Problemo... Look at the story of Job (Please never challenge Yahweh with innocent pawns). Godís challenge and Jobís suffering! God stands idol while job's prayers fall on deaf ears. Poor job loses everything he has including his health for what? Because he loves god? Without his knowledge or permission he is the guinea pig in one of historyís greatest tests. Seems god who apparently knows everything and how the story will end is unsure of himself. Letís look at Abraham; he takes Isaac or Ishmael (you choose the characters) to the top of mt. Sinai to see if Abraham is up for the test of more bloodshed. If gawd knows all surely he knew how the story ended, I mean after all... in the beginning was the "word" right? Well that statement came after another in the beginning statement so who knows? yahweh is by far the most jealous bastard ever and even admits it! So damn insecure that someone may love their wife and kids more than this asshole of a creator.
It comes in spurts! My brain seems to work best right after I pee. Go figure. You seem to be fairly consistent however. Must be an Okie thang. Enjoy your posts!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#7416 Apr 18, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't I tell you not to use the lame excuse of science is still searching? You better start listening boy
I didn't say that science is still searching. By definition, science is a body of knowledge.
We search for answers to fill gaps in that knowledge, and "the God of the gaps did it with magic" is not an answer, it is a simplistic platitude no matter how hopefully you raise your eyes to the sky and sing praises to the heavenly hosts.
In your mind, fact is replaced by "God's own Truth" and you don't listen to anything else. Why should anyone else listen to you?

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#7417 Apr 18, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
But Sir... wait a minute. There must be a god because I see football players praying at football games.
Tim Tebow: Dar fotter in Heaven please let the broncos get to the Superbowl
Yahweh: Prayer answered
Newspaper: Broncos sign Payton Manning
Tim Tebow: Not like that fotter!
First belly laugh of the day! Thanks for that!!

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7418 Apr 18, 2014
Thinking wrote:
If someone provides evidence god exists, I'll accept it. But I won't worship the evil POS.
<quoted text>
The only believable evidence would have to come from the god itself. Some miracles performed under laboratory controlled conditions would suffice.

I used to be quite good at faking UFO pictures. I'm talk'n pre-Photo Shop days, dark rooms, enlargers and all that. In fact, I got so good at it that it pretty much ruined my belief in "Flying Saucers". The 'bots will never be able to produce convincing evidence. Hell, they're still trying to learn to program VCR's and set the time on digital watches. Anecdotes, small voices and tingly feelings ... it's all they got.
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#7419 Apr 18, 2014
Good point on evidence. Was the bible written:

a) in 1000 mile high letters made of diamonds orbiting Mars?

or...

b) by some goatfuckers?
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
The only believable evidence would have to come from the god itself. Some miracles performed under laboratory controlled conditions would suffice.
I used to be quite good at faking UFO pictures. I'm talk'n pre-Photo Shop days, dark rooms, enlargers and all that. In fact, I got so good at it that it pretty much ruined my belief in "Flying Saucers". The 'bots will never be able to produce convincing evidence. Hell, they're still trying to learn to program VCR's and set the time on digital watches. Anecdotes, small voices and tingly feelings ... it's all they got.
Atheist Silurist

UK

#7420 Apr 18, 2014
Today we celebrate the Jews killing Jesus. Well done, Jews. If not for you, Christians wouldnít have a religion to prop up their lives.

An Easter message from ,Pat Condell. LOL.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#7421 Apr 18, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
your ignorance and lack of intellect
does not create gods
Wrong. Ignorance creates all gods. God is the explanation for all phenomena which humans cannot understand. From cargo cults to the Abrahamic religions, the amount of god people see in the world is directly proportional to the amount of ignorance those people have about natural phenomena. That's why the old testament is full of accounts of divine appearances and intervention, while the modern world, not so much. As the list of things we don't understand shrinks, so does the number of occurrences attributed to "goddidit".
Amused

Lowell, MA

#7422 Apr 18, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
Dammit! You guys have had all the humble pie you can eat and are in rare form! I don't think anyone of us are trying to be the new messiah for atheism any more than we are trying to get someone to stop shitting. We just know what shit smells like and would appreciate it if christards wouldn't shit so close to us!
I don't think you actually read and understood the post you were 'replying' to. A perhaps dyslexia problem you have with?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 57 min woodtick57 2,612
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 233,079
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Morse 1,455
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 1 hr Morse 15
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr fadu singh 23,258
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 2 hr thetruth 6
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 3 hr thetruth 168
More from around the web