'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#7367 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all, the majority voted for Obama and that certainly turned out to be a fiasco. However, when your numbers or so small, 2.4%, and you STILL insist there everyone else is the crazy one, then you might really need to sit down and look at yourself. Of course, its a free country so you can believe whatever you want. You can even be crazy if you want.
which thoughts and positions do you hold that 97% of the american people agree?

Location hidden

#7368 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Angel do you REALLY believe that the bible is advocating child rape??? I mean really??? If so, then I don't think I'm going to be able to help you. You have already fallen off the deep end and there is just no reasoning with you.
god hissself raped a 12 year old girl

the bible says that a rapist should get to buy his victim and keep her as long as they live.

Location hidden

#7369 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
well I haven't been keeping up with this today but after scanning some comments I'm always amazed at the amount of hate you guys have for Christians, the bible, and especially God. Its actually pretty scary that there are people like this in the world. Truth be told I bet you would be more than happy to put all believers in prison if you could. It might actually come to that one day even here in America.
every one has a dream

Location hidden

#7370 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
more people in England believe in aliens than in God. Ha..pretty much says it all about you guys. The article also says over 5 millions Brits believe the moon landing was faked.
aliens came here and wrote the bible, then they landed on the moon

did you ever go to school?

Location hidden

#7371 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Did God say there wouldn't be suffering? Absolutely not. Jesus himself suffered on the cross.
Alien life is likely? You are basing this on your alien abduction?
you know that the god you advance is an alien

Location hidden

#7372 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
oops you used the atheist catch phrase "bronze age" again. I guess you really can't help it since you have been programmed. The chances of the universe coming together by complete chance and evolving into what we have today are too great against it. To believe that, you must also believe that you can stick several pieces of metal in a room, wait 1 million years, and expect a 747 airplane to emerge. It can't happen my friend. Face reality
but far more likely

than some god choosing you as a representitive

Location hidden

#7373 Apr 17, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Keep in mind that I'm not here to convince anyone that God does exist.
I was a disbeliever for about 35 yrs. and if I told you I was 100% sure now, that would be a lie.
Having said that, let me ask you this; if there was no pain and suffering, would we know what love and happiness truly was?
You want a god that controls all of our emotions and actions. Well if someone controlled everything you did would you consider that person to be compassionate towards you?
I try to keep things as simple as possible, it makes life easier to deal with. I believe there are two types of people, pessimists and optimists. Pessimists suffer more than optimists do, because they dwell on the bad things in life, and when they do, the people around them take a hit also.
I hope that the reason you reject God isn't because you were born and raised to be a pessimist. Not only for your sake, but for the others around you.
I find it odd that, "Rest in Peace" is used as an epitaph. Why not Live in Peace first.
What makes me feel good about myself is trying to help people to not be denigrated by others. It is purely for selfish reasons.
"Mean People Suck"
the christian god is the most vile entity ever imagined.

you may be judged by the company you keep.
So What

Newalla, OK

#7374 Apr 17, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
but far more likely
than some god choosing you as a representitive
AAAAAAAAMEN!
So What

Newalla, OK

#7375 Apr 17, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
the christian god is the most vile entity ever imagined.
you may be judged by the company you keep.
I've rejected more Christian's company than I have accepted, and I've never said my God was Christian. I believe there is only one God and we are ALL his Children, so why would I tag him with just one religion?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7376 Apr 17, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you rather I be inaccurate and say stone age or iron age?
Put 2 parts hydrogen atoms and 1 part oxygen atoms into a balloon - wait for it - oh, look it's a miracle from God! They bonded and became a more complex molecule! Now remove thermal energy from the system and notice the molecules go from a disordered to an ordered state - another Miracle from God! Your Liar for Jesus creatard websites' intentional misunderstanding of and disinformation on entropy doesn't fare very well on the integrity scale.
And you think all that could evolve to the extent we have today? Ridiculous. Did you ever wonder where the hydrogen and oxygen came from? Did it just poof into existence? Let me guess, science is still searching for that answer

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#7377 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
And you think all that could evolve to the extent we have today? Ridiculous. Did you ever wonder where the hydrogen and oxygen came from? Did it just poof into existence? Let me guess, science is still searching for that answer
According to the flood myth, the variety of life inhabiting the Earth today must have "evolved" over a mere 4,500 years - but you find it impossible to consider that it's happened over millions/billions of years.
Physicists have theories of how and where subatomic particles came from and combined to form hydrogen. Fusion explains where the heavier elements come from. The Bible does not explain, it just makes you feel good about not knowing or understanding. That's it's job. Scientists search for answers and those answers are what science is..Education is not a four letter word. Get some.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7378 Apr 17, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
In times of crisis, faith communities often step in to provide emergency assistance or to help those who are most poor and desperate. Proselytizing aside, churches are able to provide real service because they have both the will and the necessary infrastructure. Increasingly, atheists and humanists are saying, we need to do the same. Since 2010, the Foundation Beyond Belief has given away almost $1.5 million raised from nonbelievers who can give as little as $5 a month, and is now turning attention to building a corps of humanist volunteers, which is also a focus of the Harvard community. In July, the Foundation Beyond Belief will host its first conference, Humanism at Work.
Quite reasonable, as more and more folk turn away from the evils that is religion, and embrace humanism instead.

People are caring -- it comes from being a cooperative species. And they will remain caring, even as they drop the evil that is religion.

I think programs like Beyond Belief will become more common.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7379 Apr 17, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
As a matter of fact my mother is very proud of me. Whether its a limb on the roof, her lawn needing mowed, the hot water heater went out or she just wants to have diner with me, I also bought her a car which was the nicest one she had ever had at the time. I am always there for my mother. I never forget a mothers day or a birthday either. To say that my mother is proud of me is an understatement.
Congratulations, you finally got something right.
He's jealous-- he likely has been disowned by his own "mother".

His hate-filled attitude indicates he's had little or no affection in his life.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7380 Apr 17, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>If there was a God, why do you think he should, and how do you think he could control suffering?
I can think of hundreds of ways.

For starters? Were I in charge of things? I'd have engineered humans such that, infants are immune from fatal or debilitating diseases, until well after puberty.

I'd also have engineered women, such that they would not only know when they were fertile, they could choose to control it at will-- without pain. This would solve an entire host of issues/problems.

These are two simple things (for a god) I have done--

-- but your god seems both unwilling **and** incapable.

Think about this: most humans would make the effort to rescue infants from debilitating or fatal diseases.

But your god refuses.

Why *is* that?

And no-- it has got **nothing** to do with free will. We are speaking of **infants** here, who lack the intelligence to have free will.

The fact that most humans are **more** compassionate (about babies) that your god?

Says much-- about your deity -- none of it good.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7381 Apr 17, 2014
Thinking wrote:
If god was compassionate it should and if god was all powerful it could.
This is why I said there was no all powerful compassionate god.
<quoted text>
Correct.

If there is a god at all? He's a real .... douchenozzle....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7382 Apr 17, 2014
Thinking wrote:
That was just another religious sex game that got out of hand. Turns out that "forsaken" wasn't the safe word.
<quoted text>
Well, his lover John, wasn't that bright, and likely misunderstood until it was too late...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7383 Apr 17, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The odds of life also existing elsewhere in the universe dwarfs the odds that a human-like bronze age Semitic deity created all of space and time. Not that anyone would suspect you of comprehending statistics - or much of anything else, for that matter..
To comprehend? He'd have to have a **working** brain.

Alas, his brain has been nearly destroyed by religious indoctrination.

It's kinda sad, really...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7384 Apr 17, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Agreed. The universe(s) is/are vast.
Whilst I have no evidence of flying saucers visiting us, that wasn't the question, was it?
antiatheist is an abject dullard.
<quoted text>
Yep.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7385 Apr 17, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
"By accident" is only a subjective observation of an occurrence. Two cars might unintentionally collide, but that in no way means there was no cause or that they violated any natural laws. Aside from this, It has been pointed out to you that there can be no 'first cause and then effect' without time. Your notion that the bronze age deity "existed before the beginning" of time is a fallacy.
Yep.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7386 Apr 17, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
We're here, so the "odds" are like 100%. If there is indeed an infinite Multiverse, places like Earth may be as plentiful (and as inevitable) as popcorn farts. What you're really after is a "why" or some ultimate "reason" and I'm afraid those cards are not in the deck. You just have to learn to deal with it.
Indeed-- he is incapable of either reason or logic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 9 min lightbeamrider 1,753
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min Hedonist Heretic 57,831
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr nanoanomaly 27,240
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 4 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 128
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 5 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 5,954
god belief down to 28% in UK 8 hr Eagle 12 123
carbon 14 dating very inaccurate (Jun '12) 8 hr Eagle 12 72
More from around the web