'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

So What

Newalla, OK

#7347 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
so what are you saying OKC is Karen?
You need to stay out of it. I don't need your kind of help.
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#7348 Apr 17, 2014
Quote your sources, BSer.
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
No moon landing?
So What

Newalla, OK

#7349 Apr 17, 2014
Thinking wrote:
In a vast universe, possibly only one of many, alien life is very likely.
Yet we know for sure there is no all powerful compassionate god because we have evidence of avoidable suffering.
<quoted text>
If there was a God, why do you think he should, and how do you think he could control suffering?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7350 Apr 17, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>You need to stay out of it. I don't need your kind of help.
ha........screw you
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7351 Apr 17, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Yet we know for sure there is no all powerful compassionate god because we have evidence of avoidable suffering.
<quoted text>
Did God say there wouldn't be suffering? Absolutely not. Jesus himself suffered on the cross.

Alien life is likely? You are basing this on your alien abduction?
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#7352 Apr 17, 2014
If god was compassionate it should and if god was all powerful it could.

This is why I said there was no all powerful compassionate god.
So What wrote:
<quoted text>If there was a God, why do you think he should, and how do you think he could control suffering?
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#7353 Apr 17, 2014
That was just another religious sex game that got out of hand. Turns out that "forsaken" wasn't the safe word.
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus himself suffered on the cross.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#7354 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Did God say there wouldn't be suffering? Absolutely not. Jesus himself suffered on the cross.
Alien life is likely? You are basing this on your alien abduction?
The odds of life also existing elsewhere in the universe dwarfs the odds that a human-like bronze age Semitic deity created all of space and time. Not that anyone would suspect you of comprehending statistics - or much of anything else, for that matter..
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7355 Apr 17, 2014
and the odds of the universe popping up by accident? Oh ya..those odds are amazing
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#7356 Apr 17, 2014
Agreed. The universe(s) is/are vast.

Whilst I have no evidence of flying saucers visiting us, that wasn't the question, was it?

antiatheist is an abject dullard.
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The odds of life also existing elsewhere in the universe dwarfs the odds that a human-like bronze age Semitic deity created all of space and time. Not that anyone would suspect you of comprehending statistics - or much of anything else, for that matter..

“See how you are?”

Earth

#7357 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
and the odds of the universe popping up by accident? Oh ya..those odds are amazing
"By accident" is only a subjective observation of an occurrence. Two cars might unintentionally collide, but that in no way means there was no cause or that they violated any natural laws. Aside from this, It has been pointed out to you that there can be no 'first cause and then effect' without time. Your notion that the bronze age deity "existed before the beginning" of time is a fallacy.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7358 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
We're here, so the "odds" are like 100%. If there is indeed an infinite Multiverse, places like Earth may be as plentiful (and as inevitable) as popcorn farts. What you're really after is a "why" or some ultimate "reason" and I'm afraid those cards are not in the deck. You just have to learn to deal with it.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7359 Apr 17, 2014
oops you used the atheist catch phrase "bronze age" again. I guess you really can't help it since you have been programmed. The chances of the universe coming together by complete chance and evolving into what we have today are too great against it. To believe that, you must also believe that you can stick several pieces of metal in a room, wait 1 million years, and expect a 747 airplane to emerge. It can't happen my friend. Face reality

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7360 Apr 17, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Spot on!

“See how you are?”

Earth

#7361 Apr 17, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Agreed. The universe(s) is/are vast.
Whilst I have no evidence of flying saucers visiting us, that wasn't the question, was it?
antiatheist is an abject dullard.
<quoted text>
There are photos and many thousands of reported sightings of UFO's. By definition, no one can deny that there literally are "Unidentified Flying Objects." As they are by definition unidentified, I won't make the claim that they are extraterrestrial visitations any more than I would claim that they are angels or supersonic weather balloons.
Being an abject dullard of a troll is the only thing aa has been able to convincingly substantiate - but don't sell him short, He does that one thing well..

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#7362 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
oops you used the atheist catch phrase "bronze age" again. I guess you really can't help it since you have been programmed. The chances of the universe coming together by complete chance and evolving into what we have today are too great against it. To believe that, you must also believe that you can stick several pieces of metal in a room, wait 1 million years, and expect a 747 airplane to emerge. It can't happen my friend. Face reality
nonsense

“See how you are?”

Earth

#7363 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Would you rather I be inaccurate and say stone age or iron age?
Put 2 parts hydrogen atoms and 1 part oxygen atoms into a balloon - wait for it - oh, look it's a miracle from God! They bonded and became a more complex molecule! Now remove thermal energy from the system and notice the molecules go from a disordered to an ordered state - another Miracle from God! Your Liar for Jesus creatard websites' intentional misunderstanding of and disinformation on entropy doesn't fare very well on the integrity scale.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#7364 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Holy crap! Ok... Ok... You 'win'!

Nobody will ever claim you aren't the most stupid person posting on this thread. Bravo
So What

Newalla, OK

#7365 Apr 17, 2014
Thinking wrote:
If god was compassionate it should and if god was all powerful it could.
This is why I said there was no all powerful compassionate god.
<quoted text>
Keep in mind that I'm not here to convince anyone that God does exist.

I was a disbeliever for about 35 yrs. and if I told you I was 100% sure now, that would be a lie.

Having said that, let me ask you this; if there was no pain and suffering, would we know what love and happiness truly was?

You want a god that controls all of our emotions and actions. Well if someone controlled everything you did would you consider that person to be compassionate towards you?

I try to keep things as simple as possible, it makes life easier to deal with. I believe there are two types of people, pessimists and optimists. Pessimists suffer more than optimists do, because they dwell on the bad things in life, and when they do, the people around them take a hit also.

I hope that the reason you reject God isn't because you were born and raised to be a pessimist. Not only for your sake, but for the others around you.

I find it odd that, "Rest in Peace" is used as an epitaph. Why not Live in Peace first.

What makes me feel good about myself is trying to help people to not be denigrated by others. It is purely for selfish reasons.

"Mean People Suck"

Amused

Lowell, MA

#7366 Apr 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Cobblers are more complex than shoes. Carpenters are more complex than houses. A creator of the universe would necessarily be more complex than the universe it created. Yet, you have no difficulty asserting that this hypothetical "more complex than the universe" being simply popped into being and then magicked everything else into existence. It can't happen, my friend. Face reality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Subduction Zone 30,175
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Subduction Zone 70,264
News Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 2 hr John 70,630
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 2 hr John 14,734
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 2 hr Paul Scott 3,800
How To Get To Heaven When You Die 3 hr Eagle 12 87
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Eagle 12 258,473
More from around the web