'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7553 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7299 Apr 16, 2014
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
All theists, when confronted with some objectively evil portion of their holy book, invariably claim that unbelievers are incapable of discerning the "true meaning" of the passage in question. Only True Believers, using the True Believer Secret Decoder Ring (TM) are capable of seeing the innocuous "true meaning" of the passage in question. Because when their god uses a word, he does not use it in any sense that human dictionaries have ever defined that word, but only in a special "divine use only" sense of the word that magicks away the offensiveness.
Did you see the scripture about someone fating and making music like a harp?
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7300 Apr 16, 2014
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
If you aren't interested in giving panhandlers money, a simple "sorry, no" would suffice. Just shaking your head 'no' without rolling down the window also works. If the panhandler seems upset by that, why on earth would you want to engage him any further? If you give them anger, you will get anger back.
Life's too short to waste on pointless confrontations. Situations like that can escalate, when you have two angry people egging each other on. Many unfortunate incidents start out as small irritations between people that just develop like a runaway nuclear chain reaction. When the other party looks like a "crackhead" or otherwise unstable, the chances of things taking an irrational turn increase greatly.
As far as "rights" in a situation like that, a panhandler has a right to ask. You have a right to say no. Both parties should recognize that the other party is human and deserves respect.
Fair enough... Why do we give christards the time of day in here then? Why dont we just ignore AA and other christards? Like leaving our window up?
Why don't we just let westboro baptist church do their thing at all of these funerals, without anyone to show their sick of it? Have you personally been to a funeral that was protested by these assholes? Where do we draw a line saying this is okay and this isn't? I will draw it and see if you agree
Christians / Christards.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7301 Apr 16, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
So those verses don't mean what they say? The actual meaning is hidden and needs to be explained? What is the context? Does an earlier verse say 'Heed not what follows, it is really here to confuse people thousands of years from now."?
Okay ... makes sense when you look at it like that!
You need a Magic Decoder Ring.

Or several sharp blows to your head--such that your eyes won't focus, and you can no longer think.

An alternative to head trauma, could also be massive quantities of mind-altering substances, such as alcohol.

Once your brains are addled enough, and you cannot think much at all?

Suddenly, the Holey BuyBull makes "perfect sense".

See how easy it is?

For proof of the above? I submit Anti's posts on this very thread.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7302 Apr 16, 2014
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah anti... You are so open minded you shot down my last source for you to get info so quickly my head could have spun
Anti's seriously brain damaged.

That is why when he "reads" his bible, it makes "sense" to him.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7303 Apr 16, 2014
OKC wrote:
today I was running short on time getting to lunch. At a very busy intersection there were 'panhandlers for god' and they were seriously screwing with traffic. I saw the light turn from green to red 3 times! Ive been studying the philosophy of Seneca and trying to bear in mind that shit happens and if I get upset, its actually 'stoopid' because this nonsense is to be accepted and to let it bother you is like you act surprised. I finally made it to the traffic light and was first in line, when a crackhead asks me to roll my window down. When I do he leans into my window really close telling me how he burglarized houses and was screwed up on drugs, now he is just screwed up on Jeebus. I had enough and told him to get the f*ck away from me and my truck and ask him if he thought he would be better served by perhaps getting a job instead of asking an atheist for money in Jeebus' name. You could see the anger and he said he would pray for me but I told him that wasn't necessary because I was the one with a truck, a home and money and didnt need gawd wasting anytime on me. I had to listen to this crackhead preach to me until the light turned green. Why would I want any advice from someone who cant even function normally in society? I took a picture of his stupid paper to show you. maybe jeebus would be happy if I domnated my home, truck, TV and everything else I worked for to crackheads for christ but jeesus needs to take care of his own children.
Hey @sshole Anti-A...And homosexuals bother you? give me a break!
http://i59.tinypic.com/33y58hf.jpg
See?

To properly understand the Holey BuyBull-- it really helps if you've been on crack for years and years.

LMAO!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7304 Apr 16, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay explain how gawd got his ass kicked by iron chariots? hmmm?
Judges 1:19
King James Bible
And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.
LMAO!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7305 Apr 16, 2014
OKC wrote:
And whats with all the poop in the bible anyway? especially people eating it?
2 Kings 18:27
New International Version (NIV)
27 But the commander replied,“Was it only to your master and you that my master sent me to say these things, and not to the people sitting on the wall—who, like you, will have to eat their own excrement and drink their own urine?”
The BuyBull is an ugly book.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7306 Apr 16, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>You should have told him that you would prefer he pray for you because at least he would be doing something more acceptably correct than what he was doing at the time.
Don't deny yourself an opportunity to do what is right just because you don't believe God exists. When you do, you become part of the problem.
The dilapidation of our society is not because of the lack of religious values, it is the lack of moral values.
Oh, I agree-- the lack of moral values.

Sadly, the majority of christian churches do not actually teach **moral** values. They teach blind obedience to authority instead.

Which isn't the same thing-- at all.

A mechanical robot will blindly obey the rules it's programmed with.

A **thinking** person should be more than that.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#7307 Apr 16, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! He doesn't get a job because he is unemployable. He is a bum that is using religion to get people to feel sorry for him. YOU see it as a reason to hate and jump all over the opportunity. He didn't hold up traffic, YOU held up traffic by rolling down your window and spewing hate out of it. You committed ROAD RAGE. I would have been the one be hide you blowing my horn because I've got better things to do with my time than watching you be a dumbass.
OKC hasn't said anything, but the exchange he describes could have occurred entirely within the red cycle, in which case traffic would not be affected.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#7308 Apr 16, 2014
Looking back, that's what appears to have happened: "I had to listen to this crackhead preach to me until the light turned green."
Amused

Lowell, MA

#7309 Apr 16, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough... Why do we give christards the time of day in here then? Why dont we just ignore AA and other christards? Like leaving our window up?
Why don't we just let westboro baptist church do their thing at all of these funerals, without anyone to show their sick of it? Have you personally been to a funeral that was protested by these assholes? Where do we draw a line saying this is okay and this isn't? I will draw it and see if you agree
Christians / Christards.
As for AA, I agree. He's a troll, and we (myself included) rise to the bait far more often than we should. As for other theist posters, I judge them individually. If they are just here to prosletyze, or expecting that simply by proclaiming their myth, we will all fall into line, they aren't worth the trouble. Occasionally, although not often, a theist who is genuinely open to give and take ambles into the forum. Same principle as I stated before, if you give anger, you will get anger. AA came here with a chip on his shoulder. He brought anger/hatred and his negative energy just produces more negative energy in response.

WBC are just attention wh*res. They thrive off provoking reactions. I know they have made money from lawsuits claiming their rights were violated by various efforts to squelch their protests. I've often thought that the whole thing was just a scam. That they act in a deliberately outrageous manner to provoke a well-intentioned but illegal attempt to stifle them so that they can bring lawsuits to make money.

I don't think there is any firm line. Some folks are more sensitive or more aggressive than others. I don't take offense at panhandlers politely asking. If I say no and they persist, I may be annoyed, but again, what's the point in escalating the situation? Just disengage and forget it. Same as people who do stupid things while driving. You can work yourself up into a rage or you can just forget it and focus on getting where you are going.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7310 Apr 16, 2014
well I haven't been keeping up with this today but after scanning some comments I'm always amazed at the amount of hate you guys have for Christians, the bible, and especially God. Its actually pretty scary that there are people like this in the world. Truth be told I bet you would be more than happy to put all believers in prison if you could. It might actually come to that one day even here in America.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#7311 Apr 16, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
1) "YOU held up traffic by rolling down your window" The minute the light turned green I moved which makes your post a fallacious assumption.
2) "spewing hate out of it" another fallacious assumption on your part. The truth falls where it may and is sometimes hurtful truth is not equivocal to hate.
3) "You committed ROAD RAGE" another christard comment
4) "I would have been the one be hide you blowing my horn because I've got better things to do with my time than watching you be a dumbass."
Here's where I stoop to your level... How many children have you molested? The motive of evil is to disguise and you have chosen to hide behind religion, while at the same time gaining access to victims. You're like swaggart, All the while you rant, you're actually fighting your own temptations, inequities and repressive doctrines.
As far as you honking your horn... I honestly dont think you would ever honk your horn at me or anyone else because of your cowardice, sheepish nature. You cant even seem aggressive on a message board.
LOL! Which is longer; your arrest record, or your employment record? When you figure it out, let us know, along with how many divorces you've had. Tough Guy
So What

Choctaw, OK

#7312 Apr 16, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I agree-- the lack of moral values.
Sadly, the majority of christian churches do not actually teach **moral** values. They teach blind obedience to authority instead.
Which isn't the same thing-- at all.
A mechanical robot will blindly obey the rules it's programmed with.
A **thinking** person should be more than that.
This is just my opinion, but when someone tells you they totally believe the Bible, they aren't being truthful. I can't, there's to much that can be disproved. I've had people tell me that my interest in science and world history has caused me to be narrow minded in my religious beliefs. My rebut is; at least I'm not a hypocrite. And for some reason, that always seems to stop the conversation.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#7313 Apr 16, 2014
"I believe what I believe, and I can't believe anymore than that"

Me
So What

Choctaw, OK

#7314 Apr 16, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
OKC hasn't said anything, but the exchange he describes could have occurred entirely within the red cycle, in which case traffic would not be affected.
I will admit that I stirred the pot a bit, and look what came floating to the top.
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7315 Apr 16, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
See?
To properly understand the Holey BuyBull-- it really helps if you've been on crack for years and years.
LMAO!
What gets me is the apologetic christards, who call me the rager because a christard ask me to roll my window down and I did. He spoke his nonsense first then i spoke mine. What ever you do bro, leave the windows up on your vehicle and act very afraid of christards so you dont offend said christards.
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7316 Apr 16, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Christards just read around the edges and make things appear the way they want, then start believing it. I guess he wasnt smart enough to read this
"I had to listen to this crackhead preach to me until the light turned green"
Meaning that after the light turned green, I was done with him like a used prophylactic and continued on my way.
If you listen to him, I would have approached the intersection in reverse, going the wrong direction, with the opposite turn signal on and parking in the middle of the intersection, then got out of my truck, took all of my clothes off and took a shit on the hood of my truck. Theres only one thing that would make this true -> CHRISTARD JUST HAS TO SAY IT.
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7317 Apr 16, 2014
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
As for AA, I agree. He's a troll, and we (myself included) rise to the bait far more often than we should. As for other theist posters, I judge them individually. If they are just here to prosletyze, or expecting that simply by proclaiming their myth, we will all fall into line, they aren't worth the trouble. Occasionally, although not often, a theist who is genuinely open to give and take ambles into the forum. Same principle as I stated before, if you give anger, you will get anger. AA came here with a chip on his shoulder. He brought anger/hatred and his negative energy just produces more negative energy in response.
WBC are just attention wh*res. They thrive off provoking reactions. I know they have made money from lawsuits claiming their rights were violated by various efforts to squelch their protests. I've often thought that the whole thing was just a scam. That they act in a deliberately outrageous manner to provoke a well-intentioned but illegal attempt to stifle them so that they can bring lawsuits to make money.
I don't think there is any firm line. Some folks are more sensitive or more aggressive than others. I don't take offense at panhandlers politely asking. If I say no and they persist, I may be annoyed, but again, what's the point in escalating the situation? Just disengage and forget it. Same as people who do stupid things while driving. You can work yourself up into a rage or you can just forget it and focus on getting where you are going.
Thank you for being one of the logical ones. While I think you said your piece with class, Greek philosophers would not agree with you. I also don't think Richard Dawkins would either, especially after I saw him go to the (Meth induced, male prostitute loving) ted haggard's congregation and told him he was full of shit. Have you seen the god Delusion? Socrates was told by everyone in the whole town to RUN! but he didn't he, accepted his punishment for corrupting the youth. The death of Seneca was worse because he ripped his own veins out with a knife. If you want to sit idle and let christards use their bully tactics that's up to you but keep in mind that knowledge not shared is knowledge wasted and if you don't care for a solution, you are part of the problem. Epicurus lived before jeebus was thought about and came out with a really neat formula.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

Again thank you for the logical post!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7318 Apr 16, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
Christards just read around the edges and make things appear the way they want, then start believing it. I guess he wasnt smart enough to read this
"I had to listen to this crackhead preach to me until the light turned green"
Meaning that after the light turned green, I was done with him like a used prophylactic and continued on my way.
If you listen to him, I would have approached the intersection in reverse, going the wrong direction, with the opposite turn signal on and parking in the middle of the intersection, then got out of my truck, took all of my clothes off and took a shit on the hood of my truck. Theres only one thing that would make this true -> CHRISTARD JUST HAS TO SAY IT.
okc you are one hate filled individual. Do you really talk this way in real life? Is this really how you are???? Sad

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 min Insults Are Easier 239,433
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 47 min Eagle 12 7,482
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Zog Has-fallen 19,074
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr Thinking 2,218
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 6 hr Insults Are Easier 125
News Richard Dawkins insists he's not an angry athei... 9 hr Thinking 2
John 3:16 9 hr Thinking 2
More from around the web