'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

Jul 5, 2013 Full story: NewsOK.com 7,541

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Full Story

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7239 Apr 15, 2014
Obama? No, I didn't vote for him. Prolly will if he gets a third term. LOL

Maybe the Republicans can dredge up a decent candidate. Starting to seem rather unlikely.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7240 Apr 15, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, if a lot of people are doing it then it HAS to be right!
Not at all, the majority voted for Obama and that certainly turned out to be a fiasco. However, when your numbers or so small, 2.4%, and you STILL insist there everyone else is the crazy one, then you might really need to sit down and look at yourself. Of course, its a free country so you can believe whatever you want. You can even be crazy if you want.
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7241 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends what you mean by "homosexuals into their church". If you mean the doors are open to anyone then I agree. If you mean that they let homos be pastors, deacons, etc. then they are dead wrong and I wouldn't care to attend that church. Its really sad how some denominations have allowed this abomination to be flaunted right in their own pulpits.

How are 2 consenting adults (Gay) bothering you any?
Why no mention of pedophilia?
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7242 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all, the majority voted for Obama and that certainly turned out to be a fiasco. However, when your numbers or so small, 2.4%, and you STILL insist there everyone else is the crazy one, then you might really need to sit down and look at yourself. Of course, its a free country so you can believe whatever you want. You can even be crazy if you want.
Believe what we want? thank you for giving us that right, that's nice of you. It seems even crazier to me how many different denominations of Christianity there are. It would seem the number is 10 times what I originally thought.
From the Barrett's Encyclopedia:
1) a denomination is defined as existing within a specific country
2) there are 33,000+ total of these "Christian denominations" in 238 total countries
These 33,000 are subdivided into "6 major ecclesiastico-cultural mega-blocs", and ordering them by denomination size we have (I am rounding up or down slightly for convenience, using year 2000 figures).

Independents (about 22000)
Protestants (about 9000)
"Marginals" (about 1600)
Orthodox (781)
Roman Catholics (242)
Anglicans (168)

So the 33,000 number is from the total of these 6 mega-blocs:

22000 + 9000 + 1600 + 781 + 242 + 168 = 33,000+
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7243 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
so you did get an online degree. Kinda figured
Jeez you are stupid... no I didn't get an online degree.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#7244 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends what you mean by "homosexuals into their church". If you mean the doors are open to anyone then I agree. If you mean that they let homos be pastors, deacons, etc. then they are dead wrong and I wouldn't care to attend that church. Its really sad how some denominations have allowed this abomination to be flaunted right in their own pulpits.
Amen! Preach it! I have seen women SPEAK, can you believe it SPEAK in church, when the Bible clearly prohibits such an atrocity.

1st Cor. 14:34 The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says. 35If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church

I have also bared witness to members of a church wearing clothing woven of two or more materials. Blasphemy! Thou shall not wear Under Armor!

Lev. 19:19 You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together.

Oh and Anti listen to this one, can you believe that there are people today who rape virgins and wont cough up the 50 shekels to her father as the Bible clearly states? These are truly troubled times we live in for sure!

Deut. 22:29 If a man finds a girl who is a virgin, who is not engaged, and seizes her and lies with her and they are discovered, then the man who lay with her shall give to the girl's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall become his wife because he has violated her; he cannot divorce her all his days.

Dallas, TX

#7245 Apr 15, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
How are 2 consenting adults (Gay) bothering you any?
Oh I think we know why it bothers him so much. ;-)

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#7246 Apr 15, 2014
Here's an article that PewResearch released last month that bears directly on the original subject of this thread:

Worldwide, Many See Belief in God as Essential to Morality; Richer Nations Are Exception

http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/03/13/worldwide...

I make no comments as of yet as I prefer to wait until forum folks have had time to read it and form their own ideas before injecting any of my own.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#7247 Apr 15, 2014
Here's a new Pew article published just today that bears on an auxiliary issue: What is morally acceptable and what is not?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/04/...
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7248 Apr 15, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen! Preach it! I have seen women SPEAK, can you believe it SPEAK in church, when the Bible clearly prohibits such an atrocity.
1st Cor. 14:34 The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says. 35If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church
I have also bared witness to members of a church wearing clothing woven of two or more materials. Blasphemy! Thou shall not wear Under Armor!
Lev. 19:19 You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together.
Oh and Anti listen to this one, can you believe that there are people today who rape virgins and wont cough up the 50 shekels to her father as the Bible clearly states? These are truly troubled times we live in for sure!
Deut. 22:29 If a man finds a girl who is a virgin, who is not engaged, and seizes her and lies with her and they are discovered, then the man who lay with her shall give to the girl's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall become his wife because he has violated her; he cannot divorce her all his days.
ha here goes angel quoting scripture again that she gets off of atheist websites. 2.4% angel.......you are a freak

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7249 Apr 15, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
non-believers in america at 18% are nearly an intellectual majority
If you break down Xianity by it's various brands?(which is fair-- as each brand claims exclusive rights to christian heaven, jesus and christian god)

Then only the catholics exceed non-believers, which come in second overall, beating out the baptists, methods, etc.

The evangelicals don't even rate a whole percent... yet they are the ones screaming the loudest...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7250 Apr 15, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me get this straight - you believe that since 90% of ancient peoples thought the Earth was flat that it WAS flat?
Do you think any president (since Jefferson, anyway) would admit to being a closet deist, agnostic or atheist? It would be political suicide and they never would have been elected.
Indeed-- should any sitting president admit to NOT believing in a Gawd?

There would be assassination attempt after assassination attempt-- until he or she is brought low by some Genuine Christian™ doing his "godly duty".

And among the Christian Faithful™, there would be much partying and celebration, at the murder of this "godless president".

You can take *that* to the bank-- and Anti is proof enough of this too.

Just watch how he and the rest respond.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7251 Apr 15, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
No. But I do think most politicians "con" you guys. The vast majority of people don't give it that much thought. Not 'illusion' like seeing shimmering angels ... an illusion of security. I already have snapped out of it.
Indeed-- these stupid sheeple just lap up the pablum spewing forth from today's politicians.

All a political talking-head must do, to get support? Is ... get this ...**pray** in **public**.

That's it.

And these stupid sheep will **vote** for that shill-- even if he's a proven crook!

Mitt Romney is a fine, fine example of this very thing.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7252 Apr 15, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, if a lot of people are doing it then it HAS to be right!
LMAO!

Indeed.... these sheeple will buy anything-- so long as *everyone* is doing it.

Right?

LMAO!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7253 Apr 15, 2014
RHill wrote:
Obama? No, I didn't vote for him. Prolly will if he gets a third term. LOL
Maybe the Republicans can dredge up a decent candidate. Starting to seem rather unlikely.
Indeed it does seem impossible that the ReThugs can muster up a decent candidate.

Crooks and liars appear to be the norm.

Democrats ain't much better...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7254 Apr 15, 2014
OKC wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe what we want? thank you for giving us that right, that's nice of you. It seems even crazier to me how many different denominations of Christianity there are. It would seem the number is 10 times what I originally thought.
From the Barrett's Encyclopedia:
1) a denomination is defined as existing within a specific country
2) there are 33,000+ total of these "Christian denominations" in 238 total countries
These 33,000 are subdivided into "6 major ecclesiastico-cultural mega-blocs", and ordering them by denomination size we have (I am rounding up or down slightly for convenience, using year 2000 figures).
Independents (about 22000)
Protestants (about 9000)
"Marginals" (about 1600)
Orthodox (781)
Roman Catholics (242)
Anglicans (168)
So the 33,000 number is from the total of these 6 mega-blocs:
22000 + 9000 + 1600 + 781 + 242 + 168 = 33,000+
LMAO!

The above is 100% proof there are NO GODS BEHIND ANY!

For what mere **human** agency could compete with a **divine** one?

Answer-- none.

If there was ONE (1) god behind ONE (1) religious group?

Within a generation at most, that one would dominate the rest-- and either absorb them, or take all their followers away.

What is **actually** happening?

The numbers of different, opposed brands is going up.

Fast-forward from 2000 to today? There are more than 36,000 different flavors of "christian" in the world today....

LMAO!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7255 Apr 15, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7256 Apr 15, 2014
oh no not crazy bob again

Garland, TX

#7257 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
ha here goes angel quoting scripture again that she gets off of atheist websites. 2.4% angel.......you are a freak
How have I wronged thee O' Brother Anti?

Please show me the error of my ways. Here are the quotes again from the Bible, not an atheist website,

The Holy Bible.

Your Bible.

Whose teachings provide the moral compass you use to live your life by.
If you could say a prayer and show me which part I got wrong or made up or am reading out of context or are distorting.
How am I distorting this you magnificent bastard? How I ask?

antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7258 Apr 15, 2014
angel do you think I haven't heard your nonsense before? I can go to any atheist website and they have the exact same verses listed. I can go to a Christian website which actually reads them and explains them in context. You must be extremely easily influenced. I'm laughing at you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 20 min Rosa_Winkel 232,897
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 22 min Richardfs 2,274
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 7 hr polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 13 hr Yiago 148
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 19 hr _Bad Company 141
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 19 hr thetruth 34
God' existence 19 hr thetruth 67
More from around the web