'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7225 Apr 15, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
What difference does it make? Do the glowing symbols impinging you optic nerve and tingling your visual cortex make sense? Do they have the ring of truth about them? Or do they seem the sad bleetings of one of the 97.6%... those sheeple who have been fooled or can't seem to make up their minds? Does it matter what bit of paper they grasp or what books lay dusty upon yon shelf? In your hast to judge the people you've lost your ability to tell truth from lies.
Hill I love it how you try to be impressive. Makes me chuckle. Think about it hard Hill, thats 97.6%. You might want to reevaluate.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7226 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
how does it feel to be part of a crazy fringe group? I've always wondered if people know they are insane or is it just everyone else that knows.
How does it feel to be part of the herd? Secure? Safe? It's an illusion ... you know that, right? You're part of the massive flow of Humanity that has laid waste to the planet, bathed in blood. For what? Who will know in a hundred years? How in tune are you with the 'bots who shuffled off into obscurity from early last century? They prayed to the same god and awaited the same End Times. Mattered not a penny's worth. Take what comfort there is in knowing you are made of Star-stuff and will someday return your atoms to the crucible that may form new worlds. Maybe better ones.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7227 Apr 15, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
How does it feel to be part of the herd? Secure? Safe? It's an illusion ... you know that, right? You're part of the massive flow of Humanity that has laid waste to the planet, bathed in blood. For what? Who will know in a hundred years? How in tune are you with the 'bots who shuffled off into obscurity from early last century? They prayed to the same god and awaited the same End Times. Mattered not a penny's worth. Take what comfort there is in knowing you are made of Star-stuff and will someday return your atoms to the crucible that may form new worlds. Maybe better ones.
Let me get this straight, you actually think every president we've had has been somehow conned and is buying into an illusion? You think over 90% believes in an illusion? Don't you see something wrong with that picture? Come on Hill. Snap out of it. I know you can do it

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#7228 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
how does it feel to be part of a crazy fringe group? I've always wondered if people know they are insane or is it just everyone else that knows.
there, there

it is a first step

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#7229 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me get this straight, you actually think every president we've had has been somehow conned and is buying into an illusion? You think over 90% believes in an illusion? Don't you see something wrong with that picture? Come on Hill. Snap out of it. I know you can do it
Let me get this straight - you believe that since 90% of ancient peoples thought the Earth was flat that it WAS flat?
Do you think any president (since Jefferson, anyway) would admit to being a closet deist, agnostic or atheist? It would be political suicide and they never would have been elected.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7230 Apr 15, 2014
Flat earch, political suicide, yadda yadda yadda. I see you have read the atheist book of how to defend the 2.4%. Do you guys ever think for yourselves??? Man I know what you are going to say even before you say it

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#7231 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Flat earch, political suicide, yadda yadda yadda. I see you have read the atheist book of how to defend the 2.4%. Do you guys ever think for yourselves??? Man I know what you are going to say even before you say it
If 97.6% of the responses are the same, maybe you should consider that those answers are the right ones.
If you already knew the answer, why would you keep spouting stupid questions?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7232 Apr 15, 2014
2.4% of you think you know more than everyone else. That pretty much says it all

Texas, USA

#7233 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
No. But I do think most politicians "con" you guys. The vast majority of people don't give it that much thought. Not 'illusion' like seeing shimmering angels ... an illusion of security. I already have snapped out of it.

Texas, USA

#7234 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Hill I love it how you try to be impressive. Makes me chuckle. Think about it hard Hill, thats 97.6%. You might want to reevaluate.
?

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#7235 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
I've always wondered if people know they are insane or is it just everyone else that knows.
It would appear that the person has no knowledge of their affliction.

Dallas, TX

#7236 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, if a lot of people are doing it then it HAS to be right!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7237 Apr 15, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
No. But I do think most politicians "con" you guys. The vast majority of people don't give it that much thought. Not 'illusion' like seeing shimmering angels ... an illusion of security. I already have snapped out of it.
I'm guessing you voted for and support Obama? Talk about being conned.

Illusion of security? You are making no sense at all. Are you saying you are insecure?

Texas, USA

#7238 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm guessing you voted for and support Obama? Talk about being conned.
Illusion of security? You are making no sense at all. Are you saying you are insecure?
The illusion that a omnipotent being is somehow concerned about you and/or protecting you. The illusion that the political machine is concerned about you ans/or protecting you. Am I insecure? Yes. Am I concerned about it? Not particularly.

Texas, USA

#7239 Apr 15, 2014
Obama? No, I didn't vote for him. Prolly will if he gets a third term. LOL

Maybe the Republicans can dredge up a decent candidate. Starting to seem rather unlikely.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#7240 Apr 15, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, if a lot of people are doing it then it HAS to be right!
Not at all, the majority voted for Obama and that certainly turned out to be a fiasco. However, when your numbers or so small, 2.4%, and you STILL insist there everyone else is the crazy one, then you might really need to sit down and look at yourself. Of course, its a free country so you can believe whatever you want. You can even be crazy if you want.
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7241 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends what you mean by "homosexuals into their church". If you mean the doors are open to anyone then I agree. If you mean that they let homos be pastors, deacons, etc. then they are dead wrong and I wouldn't care to attend that church. Its really sad how some denominations have allowed this abomination to be flaunted right in their own pulpits.

How are 2 consenting adults (Gay) bothering you any?
Why no mention of pedophilia?
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7242 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all, the majority voted for Obama and that certainly turned out to be a fiasco. However, when your numbers or so small, 2.4%, and you STILL insist there everyone else is the crazy one, then you might really need to sit down and look at yourself. Of course, its a free country so you can believe whatever you want. You can even be crazy if you want.
Believe what we want? thank you for giving us that right, that's nice of you. It seems even crazier to me how many different denominations of Christianity there are. It would seem the number is 10 times what I originally thought.
From the Barrett's Encyclopedia:
1) a denomination is defined as existing within a specific country
2) there are 33,000+ total of these "Christian denominations" in 238 total countries
These 33,000 are subdivided into "6 major ecclesiastico-cultural mega-blocs", and ordering them by denomination size we have (I am rounding up or down slightly for convenience, using year 2000 figures).

Independents (about 22000)
Protestants (about 9000)
"Marginals" (about 1600)
Orthodox (781)
Roman Catholics (242)
Anglicans (168)

So the 33,000 number is from the total of these 6 mega-blocs:

22000 + 9000 + 1600 + 781 + 242 + 168 = 33,000+
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#7243 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
so you did get an online degree. Kinda figured
Jeez you are stupid... no I didn't get an online degree.

Dallas, TX

#7244 Apr 15, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends what you mean by "homosexuals into their church". If you mean the doors are open to anyone then I agree. If you mean that they let homos be pastors, deacons, etc. then they are dead wrong and I wouldn't care to attend that church. Its really sad how some denominations have allowed this abomination to be flaunted right in their own pulpits.
Amen! Preach it! I have seen women SPEAK, can you believe it SPEAK in church, when the Bible clearly prohibits such an atrocity.

1st Cor. 14:34 The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says. 35If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church

I have also bared witness to members of a church wearing clothing woven of two or more materials. Blasphemy! Thou shall not wear Under Armor!

Lev. 19:19 You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together.

Oh and Anti listen to this one, can you believe that there are people today who rape virgins and wont cough up the 50 shekels to her father as the Bible clearly states? These are truly troubled times we live in for sure!

Deut. 22:29 If a man finds a girl who is a virgin, who is not engaged, and seizes her and lies with her and they are discovered, then the man who lay with her shall give to the girl's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall become his wife because he has violated her; he cannot divorce her all his days.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Samuel Patre 87,207
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 13 hr superwilly 5,811
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Feb 14 ChristineM 4,032
Christianity almost did not happen Feb 12 Quatsch22 1
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Feb 12 dollarsbillmom 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb 10 superwilly 5,154
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Feb 9 Eagle 12 - 257
More from around the web