'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#6983 Apr 7, 2014
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.

Teach a man to pray for a fish and he will starve to death

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#6984 Apr 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
no.........trust me. You are a bot. You are preprogrammed to regurgitate all the atheist talking points that I've heard time and time again. Heard one you've heard them all.
Right. Atheists are directed to show up in a building every Sunday morning to reinforce their programming...
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#6985 Apr 7, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. Atheists are directed to show up in a building every Sunday morning to reinforce their programming...
And don't forget the atheist offering plate my brother! But wait... I'm an atheist, why would I call you brother? Why would I want to wish you a happy day? I mean lets face it... we atheists are incapable of knowing good because we don't have a cosmic Jewish zombie in our heart that promises to make us live forever if we symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically accept him as our master so he can remove an evil force from out soul that is present because 'rib-woman' was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree!

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#6986 Apr 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
yes engineer but Christians believe in God and the bible so naturally we are going to reference it. Atheists, on the other hand, claim to be free thinkers, etc. yet they are far from it. They all say exactly the same things and there is no free thinking involved. I guess they worship atheism or some scientists. Not really sure but it is definitely a strong cult.
Free Thinking is a goal for us, just like Good Christian is for you guys. There's a well worn path to Good Christianship, laid down over the centuries. We're not so lucky. We're breaking new ground here and you 'bots are doing everything in your (limited) power to stop us.

I passed a couple bill boards this weekend, travelling as I did through the stone hard heart of the Bible Belt. One had a picture of a new born baby with the words "GOD KNEW ME BEFORE I WAS CONCEIVED". Another claimed you would learn "WHAT HEAVEN IS REALLY LIKE" if you just tuned in to such and such.

What arrogance, I thought, to put words in the mouth of an innocent child or to claim certain knowledge of a mythical place no one has ever seen. Are there no depths you people won't stoop? Free thinking? You people don't know the meaning of the words.
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#6987 Apr 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Christians believe in God and the bible so naturally we are going to reference it.
Referencing the bible I remember that if a person had the faith of a mustard seed that he could move mountains just by speaking it. Would it be safe to say that xians must have less than a mustard seed of faith as I have not seen anyone moving mountains with words alone.
Why does the pope need a bullet proof car? Is he afraid to get shot, die and go to heaven?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#6988 Apr 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
yes engineer but Christians believe in God and the bible so naturally we are going to reference it. Atheists, on the other hand, claim to be free thinkers, etc. yet they are far from it. They all say exactly the same things and there is no free thinking involved. I guess they worship atheism or some scientists. Not really sure but it is definitely a strong cult.
Any subject that is being debated, must be referenced by the parties debating. If you were speaking to a muslim, it is likely that they may reference your bible as well as their own. That should be easily understandable for you. Atheists are as strongly similar and supportive of each other, just as you and your fellow christians...again it should be easily understandable why the two groups sound very similar and share the same ideas as their peers. Has nothing to do with a cult.
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#6989 Apr 7, 2014
1956, two years after pushing to have the phrase "under God" inserted into the pledge of allegiance, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs a law officially declaring "In God We Trust" to be the nation's official motto. The law, P.L. 84-140, also mandated that the phrase be printed on all American paper currency.

4 October 1957 Russia launches sputnik, then what happens? The surprise success precipitated the American Sputnik crisis! The Sputnik crisis was a period of public fear and uncertainty in the United States in the wake of the success of the Soviet Sputnik program and a perceived technological gap between the two superpowers.

Man just a year passes and then the USA fires up science in school, even evolution is being taught in school! Oh No!

Education programs were initiated to foster a new generation of engineers and support was dramatically increased for scientific research. Congress increased the National Science Foundation (NSF) appropriation for 1959 to $134 million, almost $100 million higher than the year before. By 1968, the NSF budget stood at nearly $500 million.
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#6990 Apr 7, 2014
I've no issue with people believing in "something else" so long as they don't get their own facts, and don't abuse the human rights of other and the laws of the land using religion as their excuse.

I've helped non-believers and believers through bereavement. Both groups seem to suffer equally badly.
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> one should not trust common sense on matters which require uncommon rational thinking and lack of indoctrination and emotionalism. on the other hand, out of kindness one should not go to great lenths to prove a case against an afterlife to someone who is in the mindst of grieving for a lost loved one. atheists and freethinkers should abide by rules of compassion and courtesy when confronted with known persons who have a deep need for a faith at that time. but we should try to talk rational logic with those who are not under the influence of great emotionalism, and with those who ask for it with their nonsense religious superstitious postings on topix. and we should stand up for rational education, including non-establishment of religion, no vouchers for religious schools, and no government funding for training of religious ministers and operatives. Did you know that a person with a disability can get help with tuition to go to a Bible school to get some sort of certification to be a minister? I think this violates the first amendment.
by the way - do you agree that a comprehensive disclose act is needed to offset the idiotic rulings of the 5-Catholic majority of the USSC regarding the freespeech socalled of poor little rich folks who want to fund every candidate, so as to dominate the country and probably the world - some of them with their Armageddon type nonsense thinking? I do not think a corporation is a person - and a woman is a person. the court is more probusiness than prowoman.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6991 Apr 7, 2014
Electrical Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism does not equal free thinker. Granted, most free thinkers associate with atheism although I know religious types that do think outside the bible. They don't immediately dismiss science just because their book says to.
Taking in facts and looking through evidence does not require you to be an atheist. It does however involve you to think outside the terms of your religious novel.
No Christian that I know discounts science and I'm not aware of any place the bible tells us to. Science is a wonderful thing. Its given us the wonderful way of life we have today. I think what most Christians have a problem with is a belief system disguised as science which is what most radical atheists adhere to.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6992 Apr 7, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
okc thanks for using that quote. I've only heard it about a hundred times from atheists in the past. You guys are nothing but copy cats and yes, atheism is a religion no doubt about it. Actually more like a cult.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6993 Apr 7, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Free Thinking is a goal for us, just like Good Christian is for you guys. There's a well worn path to Good Christianship, laid down over the centuries. We're not so lucky. We're breaking new ground here and you 'bots are doing everything in your (limited) power to stop us.
I passed a couple bill boards this weekend, travelling as I did through the stone hard heart of the Bible Belt. One had a picture of a new born baby with the words "GOD KNEW ME BEFORE I WAS CONCEIVED". Another claimed you would learn "WHAT HEAVEN IS REALLY LIKE" if you just tuned in to such and such.
What arrogance, I thought, to put words in the mouth of an innocent child or to claim certain knowledge of a mythical place no one has ever seen. Are there no depths you people won't stoop? Free thinking? You people don't know the meaning of the words.
sorry hill but atheism has been around forever. There have always been nonbelievers.
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#6994 Apr 7, 2014
Religion is child abuse.
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
sorry hill but atheism has been around forever. There have always been nonbelievers.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#6995 Apr 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
okc thanks for using that quote. I've only heard it about a hundred times from atheists in the past. You guys are nothing but copy cats and yes, atheism is a religion no doubt about it. Actually more like a cult.
"Copy cats" just as repeating 2+2=4. No matter how many times you hear it or how sick you are of being reminded, it is still the truth.(That's truth, not "Truth." You might have to look it up.)
Hey, have you heard this one? "Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby." I can repeat it a couple hundred times for you and it will still be as true as 2+2=4.

"A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object."
Sounds like what Christians do, doesn't it? It's the definition for cult.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6996 Apr 7, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
"Copy cats" just as repeating 2+2=4. No matter how many times you hear it or how sick you are of being reminded, it is still the truth.(That's truth, not "Truth." You might have to look it up.)
Hey, have you heard this one? "Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby." I can repeat it a couple hundred times for you and it will still be as true as 2+2=4.
"A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object."
Sounds like what Christians do, doesn't it? It's the definition for cult.
wake up chromium. You are part of a cult. Wake up wake up
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#6997 Apr 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
I think what most Christians have a problem with is a belief system disguised as science which is what most radical atheists adhere to.
Anti atheist, have you got anything to say that has any relevance? Have you even formed a hypothesis for us to test? Do you have ANYTHING of value to contribute? A belief system disguised as science? Are you not grasping the meaning of atheist? As a matter of fact YOU are an atheist as well! We just happen to believe in one less god than you do. Again I ask you: Is not collecting stamps a hobby?
OKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#6998 Apr 7, 2014
-> "Christianity: The belief that some cosmic Jewish zombie who can make you live forever, if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present because a 'rib-woman' was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree!

The thing about religion is that it can be used to kick its own arse, that's what makes it so funny. Anti-Atheist knows this and that's why he is shying away from scriptures. you cant even use gods own book to defend religion because it is the most condemning. So what kind of christian is anti atheist? is he a cherry picker? he just believes the things in the bible that he wants to and dismisses the rest?
Numbers 31:17, 18
Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man,
but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.
Wait a minute! that's the old testament! Isn't it funny even in congregation that when there is something to benefit a christian then by all means use the old testament but when someone else uses it, you hear the broken record "OUT OF CONTEXT"

Lets talk about court of law. When someone has been arrested it is up to the district attorney to present evidence that someone has committed a crime. They are stuck with "The burden of proof". It is up to them to present evidence. Religion needs to be approached the same way. It is not up to the atheist to prove god doesn't exist. There is no team that I have ever heard of that has set out to prove the nonexistence of big foot,Loch Ness Monster, Godzilla, the Abominable snowman, the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny or any other creature of an urban legend.(Even though the unicorn is mentioned several times in the bible)

Anti atheist, from what i have seen all you do is little 'drive-by' shootings because you know if you stop and debate like a man your intellect will be exposed. Man up and lets see what you got. I'm ready

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#6999 Apr 8, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course. We all owe them a debt of gratitude. I meant something on a larger scale, a continuation and amplification of our 'Founding Fathers' vision. A society whose foundation is reason, equality and Justice-for-All. A place where intellectualism is not a sin, individual freedom is the underlying Mantra and the belief in a supernatural is relegated to the history books.
WarForOil

Rowlett, TX

#7000 Apr 8, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>

Mirror, mirror on the wall ... who's the FOULEST of them all? WarForOil, WARFOROIL!!
How original and cute.
I'll keep drinking until I too see the humor you do.

Do all my brain cells have to perish first ?
Anton Chiggurh

Lowell, MA

#7001 Apr 8, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
How original and cute.
I'll keep drinking until I too see the humor you do.
Do all my brain cells have to perish first ?
Yes, both of them.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#7002 Apr 8, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
wake up chromium. You are part of a cult. Wake up wake up
LOL! Playing with the judgit icons doesn't make you brilliant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 7 min replaytime 79,965
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 6 hr blacklagoon 3 62
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Wed Eagle 12 - 32,581
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Wed The pope 258,485
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Sep 16 blacklagoon 3 91
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Sep 15 xfrodobagginsx 101
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
More from around the web