'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#6942 Apr 4, 2014
Belly Button lint issues? Fluctuations in the world's supply of licorice flavored Jelly Beans?!? They're rare as Hen's Teeth around here. I know these issues are "deeper than religion" but for a Bot to say something like that ... astonishing!

Texas, USA

#6943 Apr 4, 2014
Had an Archeologist do a 'dig' on my belly button lint one time. Turns out there were actual artifacts from the 50's in there. Not to mention a radio-isotope enriched layer from our nation's nuclear test program.

Texas, USA

#6944 Apr 4, 2014
... My brother's HS class ring, some bits of broken glass, a transistor the size of a grapefruit, a section of track from my Lionel electric train set, a pair of 'X-Ray' sunglasses and a hub cap from a '57 Studebaker. I have no memory of how these objects got there.

In case you were curious.
Atheist Silurist

Ammanford, UK

#6945 Apr 4, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like you have some personal issues much deeper than religion.
Maybe I was born incapable of believing religious bullshit and dogma.
Atheist Silurist

Ammanford, UK

#6946 Apr 4, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like you have some personal issues much deeper than religion.
I wasn't alone in my contempt for religious assembly I was in the majority.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6947 Apr 4, 2014
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't alone in my contempt for religious assembly I was in the majority.
Again, like most atheists, you have personal problems and anger issues.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#6948 Apr 4, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no way you can group ALL people together. Millions of different people are just that, different.

Statistically, Christians are MUCH more likely to go to prision but it wouldn't be fair to say that all Christians are criminals now would it?

Federal Bureau of Prisons sent the Frequency of Religious Affiliation of inmates in the federal prisons figures, as of April 27, 2013. The data proved that atheists made up only 0.07% of the prison population, even a lower number that was previously thought. 28.7% Protestants, 24% Catholics, 5.5% Muslims, and 3.1% American Indians.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6949 Apr 4, 2014
Well duh....atheists only make up 2.4% of the population. Angel you always make yourself look dumb when you go out of your way to bash Christians.
Atheist Silurist

UK

#6950 Apr 4, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all, I just don't suffer fools gladly. I see all religion as you probably see islam. I'm not prejudice when it comes to religion. I detest them all equally.

Dallas, TX

#6951 Apr 4, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Well duh....atheists only make up 2.4% of the population. Angel you always make yourself look dumb when you go out of your way to bash Christians.
Which part of that was a "bash"?
Atheist Silurist

UK

#6952 Apr 4, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Which part of that was a "bash"?
It's the persecution complex showing through, or it could be a case of having personal problems and anger issues.

Dallas, TX

#6953 Apr 4, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
I know statistics and facts tend to anger you unless the come from Ken Hamm and that was not my intention to make you even madder than you already are. However the reality is most criminals are religious, not just Christians but all religions.

This does not have to do with atheists being a "fringe group" as you like to say and Christians being in the "majority" as you say. These are just the numbers.

Ours is the demographic, MUCH less likely to go to prison,abuse or cheat on their spouse, get divorced,abuse drugs or alcohol, commit fraud, murder, molest children etc.

Im certainly not saying most religious folks are criminals but most criminals are religious.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#6954 Apr 4, 2014
RHill wrote:
Smart-phone Topix mobile interface sux. Not sure why it thought I wasn't logged in. But yes, gentle readers, that was truly me above ... in the cyber-flesh.
Lol

Dallas, TX

#6955 Apr 4, 2014
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the persecution complex showing through, or it could be a case of having personal problems and anger issues.
i definitely have seen evidence of that in his words. That and cries for attention.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6956 Apr 4, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
I know statistics and facts tend to anger you unless the come from Ken Hamm and that was not my intention to make you even madder than you already are. However the reality is most criminals are religious, not just Christians but all religions.
This does not have to do with atheists being a "fringe group" as you like to say and Christians being in the "majority" as you say. These are just the numbers.
Ours is the demographic, MUCH less likely to go to prison,abuse or cheat on their spouse, get divorced,abuse drugs or alcohol, commit fraud, murder, molest children etc.
Im certainly not saying most religious folks are criminals but most criminals are religious.
You are comparing apples to oranges. There are millions and millions more people who are religious so common sense tells you you can't compare that to 2.4% of the population. You are trying to make the point that Christians are worse people than atheists?
Amused

Lowell, MA

#6957 Apr 4, 2014
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
He's got enough issues to open up a magazine stand.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#6958 Apr 4, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no way you can group ALL people together. Millions of different people are just that, different.
Statistically, Christians are MUCH more likely to go to prision but it wouldn't be fair to say that all Christians are criminals now would it?
Federal Bureau of Prisons sent the Frequency of Religious Affiliation of inmates in the federal prisons figures, as of April 27, 2013. The data proved that atheists made up only 0.07% of the prison population, even a lower number that was previously thought. 28.7% Protestants, 24% Catholics, 5.5% Muslims, and 3.1% American Indians.
Those who have read my posts over the years know that I am very picky about statistics. Before accepting data as valid, I have to know what the original source is and details from the metadata such as how the subjects were selected and how the data was gathered and analyzed. The above comes from the Bureau of Prisons via a FOI request filed by Hermant Meht, who blogs as the Friendly Atheist.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/...

Mehta had the same reservations I've expressed about the Golumbaski data from 1997. This data isn't much better except that it is more recent. It also helps to confirm the older data in that it comes in exactly the same format. As Mehta puts it,

"Keep in mind that these numbers only cover prisoners who self-reported their religious identification. They don’t represent all prisoners in the system. We will likely never have perfect numbers… but neither did Rod Swift.

"We’re also only talking about prisoners in the federal prison system — about 218,000 people — not all prisoners in America.

"Prisoners can change religious affiliations, too. We don’t know if these numbers represent what they believed when they committed their crime(s) or what they believed after they went through some personal transformation.

"Finally, it’s also important to note that 17% of prisoners reported no religious preference. They’re not necessarily atheists and may even believe in a higher power. We really don’t know. 3% were “Other” and 3.44% were “Unknown.” We can’t assume these people are atheists or Christian or anything else. However, if you combined the Atheist/No Religious Preference groups and lumped them together as “Nones,” as some sociologists do, you’d get 17% of the prison population… I’m not sure that tells you anything useful, though, because of the murkiness of the labels."

If we are skeptical of statistical assertions that come from our adversaries, intellectual honesty demands that we be even more so with data that seems to favor our position. Mehta tries to meet that standard, as do I--note his criticisms of the Golumbaski data. For all its shortcomings, the newer data he's been able to extract does seem to support the assertion that avowed atheists are sent to federal prison at a lower rate than the general population. The problem is the methodology is unknown, so comparisons between this data and that of other studies is haphazard at best.

I'd like to believe that nonbelievers are less prone to criminal behavior, but I still don't see adequate statistical data to support the notion.
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#6959 Apr 4, 2014
2/3rds of British not religious.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12799801

So common sense tells you: "don't be religious".
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
You are comparing apples to oranges. There are millions and millions more people who are religious so common sense tells you you can't compare that to 2.4% of the population. You are trying to make the point that Christians are worse people than atheists?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6960 Apr 5, 2014
ya and so? It's England.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#6961 Apr 5, 2014
Thinking wrote:
2/3rds of British not religious.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12799801
So common sense tells you: "don't be religious".
<quoted text>
one should not trust common sense on matters which require uncommon rational thinking and lack of indoctrination and emotionalism. on the other hand, out of kindness one should not go to great lenths to prove a case against an afterlife to someone who is in the mindst of grieving for a lost loved one. atheists and freethinkers should abide by rules of compassion and courtesy when confronted with known persons who have a deep need for a faith at that time. but we should try to talk rational logic with those who are not under the influence of great emotionalism, and with those who ask for it with their nonsense religious superstitious postings on topix. and we should stand up for rational education, including non-establishment of religion, no vouchers for religious schools, and no government funding for training of religious ministers and operatives. Did you know that a person with a disability can get help with tuition to go to a Bible school to get some sort of certification to be a minister? I think this violates the first amendment.

by the way - do you agree that a comprehensive disclose act is needed to offset the idiotic rulings of the 5-Catholic majority of the USSC regarding the freespeech socalled of poor little rich folks who want to fund every candidate, so as to dominate the country and probably the world - some of them with their Armageddon type nonsense thinking? I do not think a corporation is a person - and a woman is a person. the court is more probusiness than prowoman.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 30 min Brian_G 18,676
Good arguments against Christianity 1 hr Richardfs 233
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Eagle 12 21,232
A Universe from Nothing? 4 hr Insults Are Easier 602
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr THE LONE WORKER 43,360
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 6 hr Patrick 783
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 8 hr Patrick 4,831
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 hr Patrick 256,610
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 8 hr Eagle 12 10,080
More from around the web