'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6882 Apr 2, 2014
it was no doubt an ATHEIST who made the title of this thread. You guys are obsessed with God even though you claim not to believe in Him. Now, I apologize if I hurt your wittle feelings with my big, bad screen name.

“BAS in Electrical Engineering”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#6883 Apr 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
it was no doubt an ATHEIST who made the title of this thread. You guys are obsessed with God even though you claim not to believe in Him. Now, I apologize if I hurt your wittle feelings with my big, bad screen name.
I can agree it may appear to hover around religion in general. However in the USA, which I assume is the majority on this site, you can't walk around 50% of this country and say you are an atheist out loud. Unless of course you enjoy being bullied or beat up.

We want freedom from religion, not abuse by it. That is why it looks the way it does. It's like when slaves were obsessed about white people. Whites consistently shamed blacks. Therefore the life of a black revolved around whites. Same shit here.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6884 Apr 2, 2014
you have GOT to be kidding me. You honestly think you are going to be bullied or beat up for saying you are an atheist??????? Wow talk about paranoia. People might think you are a little strange but you aren't going to get beat up.

An atheist comparing himself to what slaves went through?????? Man this is some funny stuff you are writing engineer. Honestly, are you laughing as you type it?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#6885 Apr 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
The title comes from an article from NewsOK.com that the roboblogger posted to the news page on this forum. The thread began when someone posted a response to the article that has since been deleted because it violated the Terms of Service, as was the second response. One of them has been preserved because Skeptic clicked the reply icon in response. It read:
atheism is evil wrote:
If any of them show their faces.....spit in them. Atheists are self-centered bigots that do nothing for the good of humanity.
They assist no one in need.
As to the title, it was written either by a headline writer (how odd a specialty is that?) or by the author. NewsOK describes her thus:

Carla Hinton

RELIGION EDITOR

Carla Hinton, an Oklahoma City native, joined The Oklahoman in 1986 as a National Society of Newspaper Editors minority intern. She began reporting full-time for The Oklahoman two years later and has served as a beat writer covering a wide variety of news, including social services, transportation, minority affairs and Oklahoma City Hall.

Hinton also serves as assistant editor and editor of the local news section for several years, but she is perhaps best known as The Oklahoman's religion editor, a post she has held since June 2002. She has enjoyed learning about the many different world religions in her role as religion editor and doesn't consider it a bad thing when colleagues refer to her as "the church lady."

Career highlights have included meeting renowned evangelist Billy Graham and covering local reaction to the election of a new pope after the death of Pope John Paul II. In her spare time, Hinton enjoys reading suspense novels (ala James Patterson), watching HGTV shows and keeping up with the activities of her two grown sons and (almost grown) daughter

----------

It seems unlikely that her colleagues would call her "the church lady" if she was an atheist.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6886 Apr 2, 2014
so you are denying that atheists spend a great deal of their time talking about God and Christians? I can point to several threads, not just this one.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#6887 Apr 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking out your butt again? Now prove to me how the universe began
I don't know. Neither do you. The difference between us is that I don't pretend that I know, or claim that a book written by bronze age goatherds who didn't know either is somehow the authoritative source for information on the beginning of the universe.

P.S. Congratulations on figuring out how to use the "reply" button. You'll be part of this century eventually.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#6888 Apr 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
so you are denying that atheists spend a great deal of their time talking about God and Christians? I can point to several threads, not just this one.
Guess I spoke too soon about your new-found ability to use "reply". Once a Neanderthal, always a Neanderthal?
it goes both ways

United States

#6889 Apr 2, 2014
These things can and do go both ways. I've heard of atheists at a workplace call church goers nuts and fanatics. Some of it even came from a boss. Judgmental attitudes come from both sides but I have noticed it being considerably more viscous from atheists. Unless you count westboro.

Same thing with politics. If I were running for a high office, it would be as a democrat, regardless of my real opinions. The liberal media would rip me to shreds as a republican. If I ran as a democrat and spouted all that bs then I would be their darling. Any, and I mean ANY jabs from the GOP and fox would pale to what the dems would do.

Dishonest and misleading? So what?

My point? Why don't atheists infiltrate churches? If you're so convinced religion is the scourge of humanity.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6890 Apr 2, 2014
uh oh amused couldn't make it through one post without using an atheist code word. This time he chose the often mentioned "bronze age". How creative.

You don't know? So you are saying it could be God? If you don't know, then that has to be one possibility. We'll see how honest you are and if you will admit that.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6891 Apr 2, 2014
it goes both ways wrote:
These things can and do go both ways. I've heard of atheists at a workplace call church goers nuts and fanatics. Some of it even came from a boss. Judgmental attitudes come from both sides but I have noticed it being considerably more viscous from atheists. Unless you count westboro.
Same thing with politics. If I were running for a high office, it would be as a democrat, regardless of my real opinions. The liberal media would rip me to shreds as a republican. If I ran as a democrat and spouted all that bs then I would be their darling. Any, and I mean ANY jabs from the GOP and fox would pale to what the dems would do.
My point? Why don't atheists infiltrate churches? If you're so convinced religion is the scourge of humanity.
They are way too busy planning their next anti Christmas campaign.
it goes both ways

United States

#6892 Apr 2, 2014
it goes both ways wrote:
Same thing with politics. If I were running for a high office, it would be as a democrat, regardless of my real opinions. The liberal media would rip me
to shreds as a republican. If I ran as a democrat and spouted all that bs then I would be their darling. Any, and I mean ANY jabs from the GOP
and fox would pale to what the dems would do.

There are numerous examples in history if people infiltrating into an org to bring it down for the good of humanity.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#6893 Apr 2, 2014
What most of us are saying anti, is that we don't believe in god. Do you have a problem with that?

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#6894 Apr 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
People that spend a great deal of time researching a subject tend to talk about that subject. As we have told you MANY times before. Most of us were religious at one point, then through study and discussion, the same types of discussions you are bitching about,our veiws changed.

Religions are a fascinating subjct.During and after World War II a small population of indigenous peoples observed, often right in front of their dwellings, the largest war ever fought by technologically advanced nations. They build idols of planes and prayed to them to bless their people. This type of human behavior I find very interesting.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6895 Apr 2, 2014
Why would you spend a great deal of time researching something you don't believe in? We've gone over this before, you say you knew God but now you somehow claim you didn't know God. Obviously that means you never were a Christian in the first place because you can't know someone and then act like you never met them.

Do I have a problem with you not believing in God? Absolutely not. People can believe whatever they want. The problem is this small minority (2.4%) want to take God out of society because THEY don't believe in Him. The way I see it, thats your problem and not everyone elses. Most people want God in our society.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6896 Apr 2, 2014
I_see_you wrote:
What most of us are saying anti, is that we don't believe in god. Do you have a problem with that?
Do you have a problem with those that believe in God? Yes, you and every other atheist love to tell Christians how dumb we are and how we live in a fantasy land. YOU are the one that doesn't like other opinions.

Location hidden

#6897 Apr 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Why would you spend a great deal of time researching something you don't believe in? We've gone over this before, you say you knew God but now you somehow claim you didn't know God. Obviously that means you never were a Christian in the first place because you can't know someone and then act like you never met them.

Do I have a problem with you not believing in God? Absolutely not. People can believe whatever they want. The problem is this small minority (2.4%) want to take God out of society because THEY don't believe in Him. The way I see it, thats your problem and not everyone elses. Most people want God in our society.
Still confused I see. God needs to a personal topic only to be discussed in society, not a societal staple for everyone to be made to accept.

Location hidden

#6898 Apr 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have a problem with those that believe in God? Yes, you and every other atheist love to tell Christians how dumb we are and how we live in a fantasy land. YOU are the one that doesn't like other opinions.
Incorrect. I've said several times before that I have no problem with you believing in god. My personal opinion on whether I think your belief is a fantasy or not should have no consequence in your belief. However, I have, and will always say that someone's relationship with their god is their own personal right, but it is a personal situation, not to be mandated onto society.

Location hidden

#6899 Apr 3, 2014
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect. I've said several times before that I have no problem with you believing in god. My personal opinion on whether I think your belief is a fantasy or not should have no consequence in your belief. However, I have, and will always say that someone's relationship with their god is their own personal right, but it is a personal situation, not to be mandated onto society.
Troll will not stop being troll. It's useless to keep trying.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#6900 Apr 3, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
why do we research something we dont believe in?
Do you only read about things that are familiar to you? How would you ever learn anything new. When I research religion it it the anthropology that I find so interesting, not because I think the magic is real. I think the Greeks had some of the more interesting gods and goddeses but I dont believe them to be real.

Do you have a problem with people not believing in God?
Yes, absolutely. I think It is one of your worst qualities. We would'nt be having this conversation if you didn't. Your screen name wouldn't be ANTIATHEIST .You wouldnt be on an atheist forum more often than the atheists if it didn't bother you so much.

Most people want a God in society?
No, just no. Check your numbers. Go to a church and do a head count. Their numbers drop every year.

Location hidden

#6901 Apr 3, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a problem with people not believing in God?
Yes, absolutely. I think It is one of your worst qualities. We would'nt be having this conversation if you didn't. Your screen name wouldn't be ANTIATHEIST .You wouldnt be on an atheist forum more often than the atheists if it didn't bother you so much.
This actually makes quite a bit of sense. I think it's more rare to find an atheist in a christian forum however every atheist forum I have been on has had religious people fighting against them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 3 min Rose_NoHo 3,514
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr Frindly 84,105
News BILL-BORED: Get Ready For Atheists' Annual Use ... Dec 15 Eagle 12 - 9
News Scientist Richard Dawkins weighs in on Malaysia... Dec 14 Eagle 12 - 6
High School Atheism Dec 14 blacklagoon 3 41
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Dec 13 Eagle 12 - 4,965
Where have all the Atheists gone? (Apr '17) Dec 13 Eagle 12 - 132
More from around the web