'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

So What

Newalla, OK

#6862 Apr 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
ummm are you aware that the title of this topic is "good without a god"? Your whole life revolves around a God you say you don't believe in.
a God? Shouldn't you have said the God?

How strong is your belief in GOD?

“BAS in Electrical Engineering”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#6863 Apr 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they just like to bring ignorant court cases about praying at graduation and 10 commandment monuments. Like I said earlier, just keep on doing those things because it solidifies your position as a crazy, fringe group.
And you can just keep going on praying for shit to happen and perhaps have a success rate of 10% instead of actually doing anything.

Don't sit there and think you are any better than me.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6864 Apr 2, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
That Orangutans can display essentially the same behavior.
It's not about memories. It is about specie survival.

Homo Sapiens prove to me all the time that they aren't concerned with specie survival.

Besides that, your having interaction with your same species you don't know. Orangutans would more than likely kill them.

Homo Sapiens will do that too, but are less likely to do so. They are more likely to enslave than to kill.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#6865 Apr 2, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>It's nice to see we can agree to disagree without trying to insult each other.
I'm not here to convert anyone, but if I was, it would be pointless to insult someone, or to give the impression that I'm better than you, because I'm a believer and you're are not.
I stopped by because I saw this forum getting a lot of hits, and was curious. When I first visited I saw someone proclaiming to be a Christian, but in MY opinion not acting like it.
I feel it is my duty as a Christian to try and stop such conduct. It doesn't help God's cause.
But I have found I like the company. There is not a lot of hatred and intolerance (unless provoked) and even then, it doesn't get real ugly.
Very well put. I feel the same way. It is my goal through debate to find common ground whether I agree with someone's beliefs or not. I interact with religous folks all the time. Christian, Hindu , Muslim even a scientologist or two. 99% of the time everyone behaves like an adult but every once in a while theres that one guy, theres always that one guy.:-)
So What

Newalla, OK

#6866 Apr 2, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
For what it's worth,
I don't (necessarily) take exception to people who feel they have a personal relationship to a spirituality, I take exception to those who insist their own religious feelings must be everyone else's literal reality. With the complete absence of "proof" of an Easter Bunny ever having existed, I have to go with the conclusion that no Easter Bunny exists no matter how strongly someone else FEELS about it.
No Easter Bunny? That's just crazy talk.

I can prove the Easter Bunny exists, But I don't like to, he is bad for my diet. Then I have to go back to the store so I can prove it again.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#6867 Apr 2, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text> It's not about memories. It is about specie survival.
Homo Sapiens prove to me all the time that they aren't concerned with specie survival.
Besides that, your having interaction with your same species you don't know. Orangutans would more than likely kill them.
Homo Sapiens will do that too, but are less likely to do so. They are more likely to enslave than to kill.
I was referring to the "selfish but not self centered" part. Orangutans and other primates have instinctual responses to aggression that usually avoids actually killing each other. We're much too smart for that. Getting useful work from a vanquished enemy seems like a better idea. Again though, we've gotten much too smart for that
So What

Newalla, OK

#6868 Apr 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they just like to bring ignorant court cases about praying at graduation and 10 commandment monuments. Like I said earlier, just keep on doing those things because it solidifies your position as a crazy, fringe group.
I think the State Capitol TEN CommandmentS Monument is highly hypocritical.

Dallas, TX

#6869 Apr 2, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I think the State Capitol TEN CommandmentS Monument is highly hypocritical.
I think its a waste of tax payer $$$.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#6870 Apr 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
chromium Jesus could come down right now, look you in the eyes, and you still wouldn't believe. You think the universe arose from nothing without any help yet you have no evidence of that do you? hmmm? Of course you don't. Now stop wasting my time kid
Jesus bucked the system. You dote on the church doctrines you've been spoon fed and on Paul's letters.
I have a feeling that if Jesus came down right now and looked me in the eye, we'd agree on more than you would.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#6871 Apr 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
chromium Jesus could come down right now, look you in the eyes, and you still wouldn't believe. You think the universe arose from nothing without any help yet you have no evidence of that do you? hmmm? Of course you don't. Now stop wasting my time kid
You are the only one talking about something coming from nothing. In fact, you have no proof that there was a "nothing" before there was a "something". Our experience has always been that there is "something". You assume without proof that the something must have been created at some time, and that prior to that creation, there was nothing. That is merely an assumption, and one with no evidence to support it.

Of course, if you are correct that something cannot come from nothing, then, it follows that your god could not exist, since before god, there was nothing. If your god is something, then your god could not have come from nothing.

Oh no, you say. Your god always existed, in infinite regress. Well, if your god can have always existed, with no proof for that idea, how could you reject the idea that matter and energy have always existed, when the laws of conservation of energy are well documented?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6872 Apr 2, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>a God? Shouldn't you have said the God?
How strong is your belief in GOD?
I was quoting the topic. Do you pick this much at your significant other? Must be very annoying
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6873 Apr 2, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I think the State Capitol TEN CommandmentS Monument is highly hypocritical.
wow very judgmental on your part
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6874 Apr 2, 2014
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the only one talking about something coming from nothing. In fact, you have no proof that there was a "nothing" before there was a "something". Our experience has always been that there is "something". You assume without proof that the something must have been created at some time, and that prior to that creation, there was nothing. That is merely an assumption, and one with no evidence to support it.
Of course, if you are correct that something cannot come from nothing, then, it follows that your god could not exist, since before god, there was nothing. If your god is something, then your god could not have come from nothing.
Oh no, you say. Your god always existed, in infinite regress. Well, if your god can have always existed, with no proof for that idea, how could you reject the idea that matter and energy have always existed, when the laws of conservation of energy are well documented?
Talking out your butt again? Now prove to me how the universe began
So What

Newalla, OK

#6875 Apr 2, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I was referring to the "selfish but not self centered" part. Orangutans and other primates have instinctual responses to aggression that usually avoids actually killing each other. We're much too smart for that. Getting useful work from a vanquished enemy seems like a better idea. Again though, we've gotten much too smart for that
They don't avoid killing others, of their same species outside their congress, because they are a direct threat to their survival. They know that others that infringe into their territory are their to take what is theirs.

They would prefer to kill because it eliminates competition from outside. They don't kill most of the time because they aren't willing to give their lives for the cause. They are driven by survival instinct more than man is. Man is willing to die for a cause. Orangutans are not.

I'm talking about wild Orangutans. Not zoo Orangutans. Orangutans that don't have to forage are driven by sexual urges more than what's for dinner. They are more like man.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6876 Apr 2, 2014
Sorry for the double post. I have a crisis I'm trying to deal with. A missing band shirt on picture day.

Dallas, TX

#6877 Apr 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking out your butt again? Now prove to me how the universe began
Oh is that all?
So What

Newalla, OK

#6878 Apr 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
wow very judgmental on your part
LOL! I have a Right to Judge what my politicians do.

What did you think about Third Blue's Brother's YouTube web site post?

Answer the question! Come on you can do it. This Christian believes in you.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#6879 Apr 2, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>They don't avoid killing others, of their same species outside their congress, because they are a direct threat to their survival. They know that others that infringe into their territory are their to take what is theirs.
They would prefer to kill because it eliminates competition from outside. They don't kill most of the time because they aren't willing to give their lives for the cause. They are driven by survival instinct more than man is. Man is willing to die for a cause. Orangutans are not.
I'm talking about wild Orangutans. Not zoo Orangutans. Orangutans that don't have to forage are driven by sexual urges more than what's for dinner. They are more like man.
Never heard of that (wars to the death between groups of Orangutans, baboons, chimps). Are you a Primatologist Mom?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6880 Apr 2, 2014
third blues brothers youtube post? Sorry but I don't monitor such things so I have no idea what you are talking about.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#6881 Apr 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
ummm are you aware that the title of this topic is "good without a god"? Your whole life revolves around a God you say you don't believe in.
Haven't you noticed that after the first page or two, most threads depart enough from the topics set out by their titles the conversations take new twists and turns? This thread is too old to have anything to do with goodness without God or atheism as it pertains to Oklahoma. You have been a part of that transition yourself--when was the last time you wrote about either topic?

More to the point, your screenname and your posts all show that your reason for participating in the Atheist forum is to oppose and antagonize atheists. You tend to do that by focusing our attention on your God.

Why blame them for responding to your provocations? That doesn't make sense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 22 min replaytime 78,742
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 12 hr Eagle 12 - 32,459
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 23 hr Eagle 12 - 1,411
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Aug 12 Eagle 12 - 1,152
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web