'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6800 Mar 31, 2014
Electrical Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
I have already disproved your stupid stat. Go ahead and stop trying to make it a thing.
There is something because life desires to live. If you don't desire to live, you die. If you are speaking about the universe, we know what it is made of and how it started. The only thing we don't know is what came before that. Why is saying 'cause god' any better than 'I don't know, lets find out'?
Your choice to be ignorant is yours but stop trying to convince people to be ignorant. Some of us actually enjoy having intellect and not just saying 'cause god'.
You know how it started? Well, why did it start and who started it? Things just don't happen for no reason.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6801 Mar 31, 2014
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm interested to see the mathematics...I wasn't aware that there were mathematical theories to the existence of a god. Visual proof is obviously something that would more greatly affect my opinion, but I am interested to see what the math is all about.
If you feel like taking the time to provide the links, it would be appreciated. Even if it wouldn't sway my opinion.
http://www.decodedscience.com/modal-logic-pro...

This is Not what I was looking for. It makes a case that God does exist. I don't believe that it does. What I'm looking for is that it is mathematically more probable that God does exist than doesn't.

I thought you might be interested in the discussion though. See if you can find the actor that plays Anti.

I'm going to keep looking for what I'm after.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6802 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
You know how it started? Well, why did it start and who started it? Things just don't happen for no reason.
Here you go! Be sure to watch the video, you might figure out how God created the universe.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-m...
WarForOil

Rowlett, TX

#6803 Mar 31, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>

Especially since that Creator makes no attempt to be seen. Think about it. If you are an obnoxious, self centered, egomaniac, deity, wouldn't you want to be seen by people so that they would willing prostrate before you instead of debating whether not you exist?

Granted the Japs worshiped an Emperor whom most of them never saw and who rarely went out in public, but that was because the Shoguns kept the emperors in a gilded cage until the Meji restoration.
Can you spout more wisdom. History must make you hard.
Do you need alone time with your books.

Why not enlighten us on something truly meaningless.
The history of tin cans and tin hats will do.
RHill

Houston, TX

#6804 Apr 1, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I can do that, but It may take a little time. I want to make sure it is up to date, and not biased toward one side or the other.
If you're looking for proof God does exist, it will not do that for you. It applies math to the probability of God's existence. Most people demand visual proof.
For me it helps to prove God does exist because that is what I believe (or theorize).
* I haven't seen or heard God, nor has he come to me in my dreams.
Give us a hint! The probability must be vanishingly small. Have you ever seen "Drake's Equation"?
<look it up, I'm pecking at my smartphone again>
While a fun mathematical exercise, the results are pretty much worthless. Too many poorly defined variables.
A relatively small percentage of the population must be free of the audio-visual hallucinations and lucid dreams the devout accept as 'evidence' they are on God's wavelength. You are cursed with sanity. Go with it ... let it embrace you.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#6805 Apr 1, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>We are getting in deeper than time will allow. I need to break away and do what I feel God has intended for me to do - have meaningful interactions with my kids, so they can become productive citizens and help to make this world a better place to live.
If for some reason I don't get back to you on this post, please remind me. I'm looking forward to it.
I concluded, shortly after the birth of my first child, that (that) was the long sought "reason we're here". A simple biological imperative. It suffices.

Texas, USA

#6806 Apr 1, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you spout more wisdom. History must make you hard.
Do you need alone time with your books.
Why not enlighten us on something truly meaningless.
The history of tin cans and tin hats will do.
Hey! WarFor(heat, power, electricity, computers, internet, lights, industry, transportation, civilisation, PLASTIC)... nobody pulled your string.

Texas, USA

#6807 Apr 1, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure you like this quote from the new "Cosmos" as much as I do:
To make this journey we'll need imagination, but imagination alone is not enough because the reality of nature is far more wondrous than anything we can imagine. This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules. Test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours.
Gotta love it! Neil is popping religion's bubbles with a candor that our buddy Carl probably only dreamed about! Science is getting tired of tip-toeing around. The gloves are off and it's less a fight, more a thorough whipping of a dead horse! Applied with unabashed enthusiasm for the topic and a charming demeanor! What more could we ask?

Texas, USA

#6808 Apr 1, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.decodedscience.com/modal-logic-pro...
This is Not what I was looking for. It makes a case that God does exist. I don't believe that it does. What I'm looking for is that it is mathematically more probable that God does exist than doesn't.
I thought you might be interested in the discussion though. See if you can find the actor that plays Anti.
I'm going to keep looking for what I'm after.
You're barking up the wrong tree!

Texas, USA

#6809 Apr 1, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Here you go! Be sure to watch the video, you might figure out how God created the universe.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-m...
You remind me of a "bot" friend I once had (he's been called home ... actually he died of a blood clot from a poorly applied medical appliance, but that's just the way it is sometimes). He was a pretty good programmer and one of his pet projects was a program to crunch dog-track racing statistics into an automated winner-picker. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

Texas, USA

#6810 Apr 1, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Things happen for no reason all the time. Some of them defy logic and we write those off as "miracles" or "Devine Intervention". In fact though, in a large enough pool, the miraculous is inevitable. Another phenomenon is quite common ... Humans jumping to the wrong conclusion. I KNOW you are familiar with that one.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6811 Apr 1, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Things happen for no reason all the time. Some of them defy logic and we write those off as "miracles" or "Devine Intervention". In fact though, in a large enough pool, the miraculous is inevitable. Another phenomenon is quite common ... Humans jumping to the wrong conclusion. I KNOW you are familiar with that one.
Was this post the end of your "early morning pee posts"? Have you ever though you may have an enlarged prostate?

Some people say God works in mysterious ways. Maybe God is using your prostate as a tool to get people to talk about him, because you seem to spend a lot more time than necessary for the "simple biological imperative" act of peeing.

Have you ever thought about talking to your Dr. about your problem? Maybe some "divine intervention" can help prevent you from doing what you don't realize your doing. Spreading the word of God!

Hopefully my sarcastic humor didn't expose some "thin skin". I didn't think you were human enough to jump to the wrong conclusion.

So What

Newalla, OK

#6812 Apr 1, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
You remind me of a "bot" friend I once had (he's been called home ... actually he died of a blood clot from a poorly applied medical appliance, but that's just the way it is sometimes). He was a pretty good programmer and one of his pet projects was a program to crunch dog-track racing statistics into an automated winner-picker. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.
I want to say, I'm truly sorry for the loss of your Friend and your Mom. Death tests everyone's faith, even if your faith is only in your fellow man.

You have a good day. Enjoy life by concentrating on the things that makes YOUR life worth living.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#6813 Apr 1, 2014

Texas, USA

#6814 Apr 1, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Was this post the end of your "early morning pee posts"? Have you ever though you may have an enlarged prostate?
Some people say God works in mysterious ways. Maybe God is using your prostate as a tool to get people to talk about him, because you seem to spend a lot more time than necessary for the "simple biological imperative" act of peeing.
Have you ever thought about talking to your Dr. about your problem? Maybe some "divine intervention" can help prevent you from doing what you don't realize your doing. Spreading the word of God!
Hopefully my sarcastic humor didn't expose some "thin skin". I didn't think you were human enough to jump to the wrong conclusion.
If he wants me to do something ... all he's gotta do is ask. He can keep His mitts outta my urinary tract.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6815 Apr 1, 2014
so what I don't understand why you are trying to make God fit your ideas of creation when He has already told you how He created everything. Do you not believe Him?
So What

Newalla, OK

#6817 Apr 1, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
so what I don't understand why you are trying to make God fit your ideas of creation when He has already told you how He created everything. Do you not believe Him?
He, He, Him? I know most people refer to God in genre as male, but do you believe God is actually male?

If you want your question answered, you are going to need to answer my question.

Stop being a knowledge hoarder.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6818 Apr 1, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
If he wants me to do something ... all he's gotta do is ask. He can keep His mitts outta my urinary tract.
Maybe God doesn't have to ask, maybe you're already doing what God wants you to do.

You now have proof that God loves you. Your Dr. won't putting his mitts in your urinary tract when examining your prostate.

Texas, USA

#6819 Apr 1, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe God doesn't have to ask, maybe you're already doing what God wants you to do.
You now have proof that God loves you. Your Dr. won't putting his mitts in your urinary tract when examining your prostate.
Well, the prostate RESIDES in the Urinary Tract! Butt, you're right. I'm not too worried at this point. I have friends my age who say they have to get up 5 or 6 times a night.

I appreciate your sympathies regarding my friend and my Mom. It's been over a year (they died within a month of each other)... I'm still getting over it. I was atheist long before that, like in Jr. High.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6820 Apr 1, 2014
Its okay so what I knew you couldn't answer the question. Ive never met a Christian that wouldn't stand up for Gods word.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 57 min superwilly 256,132
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 16,520
News Atheism Destroyed with One Scientific Question 1 hr ATHEOI 16
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr THE LONE WORKER 40,881
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 4 hr ChristineM 282
www 4 hr Eagle 12 2
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 4 hr Eagle 12 4,693
More from around the web