'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7553 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#6775 Mar 31, 2014
Thinking wrote:
antiatheist is too retarded to use the reply button - therefore not credible.
The future is with the young, and the UK young don't believe. Only 25% believe in god.
http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/06/24/british-y...
Next target to take down: islamism.
<quoted text>
On the other hand, he has figured out how to judge his own posts.

“BAS in Electrical Engineering”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#6776 Mar 31, 2014
Pretty sure I have heard religious people tell me god gave me free will however when I express such will, I'm the anti-christ.

Such a massive circle jerk.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6777 Mar 31, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
This is unprecedented, I am truly at a loss. It's like the Pot calling the Kettle black (or something like that).
Like the pot calling the kettle black?

You have a lot of nerve referring to yourself as the "Blue collar Philosopher", when that's all you can come up with. You can do better than using some worn out analogy like that.

Please try harder, because I still haven't come up with anything.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6778 Mar 31, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I
They lie because if they don't most Christians will give them crap over it. A group of young Christians can be like a pack of hyenas.
Another reason for not allowing religion in public schools. It promotes bullying. The worst kind in my opinion, because it attacks someone mentally, and can't be punished under the law, because it is protected under the 1st Amendment.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6779 Mar 31, 2014
Electrical Engineer wrote:
Pretty sure I have heard religious people tell me god gave me free will however when I express such will, I'm the anti-christ.
Such a massive circle jerk.
Nature of the beast. Attack something that is not natural to you.
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#6780 Mar 31, 2014
Oh come on, quoting Pascal's Wager in 2014? Really?

Pascal's Wager is flawed because it doesn't cover the possibility there is a god that rewards non believers best of all. You can't disprove this possibility.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, only 25% of young adults in the UK believe in god.

So What wrote:
<quoted text>I think the proper analogy would be; they have their doubts God exists, but were to afraid to admit it, because they would be ridiculed for being honest about their feelings. But because of advancements in communications they are able to come out of the closet because they can see that there are many people like them.
PHill brought up at good analogy. "I see no difference between people that believe in God or in Santa Claus. In fact, the evidence for Santa seems overwhelming, at first. Then we grow up and it kind of RUINS everything".
My kids don't believe in Santa Claus but when they say they don't, I rebut with, so if you don't believe he exists, does that mean you don't expect gifts from him? Then they say they do because they want gifts.
Just my 2 cents, or 2 pence.
Same thing with God, people have there doubts, but are afraid to admit it, because if God does exist, they won't receive the gift of eternal life, because most Christians tell them they won't.
I don't agree with that. I think it is a far better to admit that you have your doubts instead of being a hypocrite. You may be able to fool someone about your true beliefs, but you can't fool God, so why lie?
They lie because if they don't most Christians will give them crap over it. A group of young Christians can be like a pack of hyenas.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6781 Mar 31, 2014
Thanks for remembering I like peanuts, but can't stand spam, and prefer the lights be off.

Peace out!
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6782 Mar 31, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Pascal's Wager is flawed because it doesn't cover the possibility there is a god that rewards non believers best of all. You can't disprove this possibility.
Meanwhile, back in the real world, only 25% of young adults in the UK believe in god.
<quoted text>
LOL! I have never heard of Pascal's Wagner, so I would say that I'm not Quoting it.

I can't disprove OR prove anything that science hasn't already done for me.

Pascal's Wager sounds like theory, and a theory is a hypothesis that has been studied but has yet to be proved.

Show scientific data that God has been proven NOT to exist.

Don't waste your time with Bible Stories, Science has already proven to ME, that many can be proven to be false.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6783 Mar 31, 2014
Sorry it's wager not wagner.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6784 Mar 31, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm familiar with Pascal's Triangle, but never have studied Pascal's wager, nor do to I want to. It has to do with mathematical theory about God's existence and I have modern data that is much more convincing than his. It has to do with Laws of Probability that have had super computers used for research. Computers aren't biased toward the outcome.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6785 Mar 31, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Meanwhile POLES change all the time and can be bias toward the people giving them. We have over here called Fox News that proves that to be fact.

I believe the date of that article was June of 2013. I'll bet Pope Francis has change the numbers.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#6786 Mar 31, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I'm familiar with Pascal's Triangle, but never have studied Pascal's wager, nor do to I want to. It has to do with mathematical theory about God's existence and I have modern data that is much more convincing than his. It has to do with Laws of Probability that have had super computers used for research. Computers aren't biased toward the outcome.
Could you provide links for this modern research. I'm curious
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6787 Mar 31, 2014
Electrical Engineer wrote:
Your not very productive if you are.
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#6788 Mar 31, 2014
You've never heard of Pascal's Wager? How odd. Here it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager

The main reason your argument is broken:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager...

I see no evidence for any deity, but that doesn't mean one couldn't exist.

However I do know that no all powerful compassionate god exists because we have evidence of avoidable suffering. If there was evidence for a god I would believe it. But I still wouldn't worship it.
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! I have never heard of Pascal's Wagner, so I would say that I'm not Quoting it.
I can't disprove OR prove anything that science hasn't already done for me.
Pascal's Wager sounds like theory, and a theory is a hypothesis that has been studied but has yet to be proved.
Show scientific data that God has been proven NOT to exist.
Don't waste your time with Bible Stories, Science has already proven to ME, that many can be proven to be false.
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#6789 Mar 31, 2014
Many Poles are roman catholic. I didn't know they changed all the time.

My poll was based on UK youth data. Only 25% believe in god.
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Meanwhile POLES change all the time and can be bias toward the people giving them. We have over here called Fox News that proves that to be fact.
I believe the date of that article was June of 2013. I'll bet Pope Francis has change the numbers.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#6790 Mar 31, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
18%, doofus.
You've already been schooled in this-- yet you persist in the lie.
Classic.
No, he's right, but the figure is out of date, a 2007 Pew datum that I gave earlier. But in 2012, Pew revised that to 2.4% who, when asked, identify themselves as atheists. However, the 2013 Harris poll is more informative in that they simply asked, "Do you believe in God?" Only 74% responded, Yes," the remaining 26% answering either "No" (12%) or "Not sure" (14%). This contrasts with the 82% who answered "Yes" in 2005, 2007, and 2009.

So, independent of self-identification, 12% now function as atheists and 14% as agnostics by most systems of classification. I think it likely that as nonbelief becomes more socially acceptable, as it probably will, given the trends, that more will self-identify according to their actual beliefs. But in the meantime, it makes sense to base estimates more on professed belief than on self-identification.

I missed "Cosmos" last night as I was busy holding my new grandson. But I'll watch it on Hulu tonight at work. I'm really enjoying Tyson's presentations. He has a real talent for connecting with his audience, don't you agree?
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6791 Mar 31, 2014
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you provide links for this modern research. I'm curious
I can do that, but It may take a little time. I want to make sure it is up to date, and not biased toward one side or the other.

If you're looking for proof God does exist, it will not do that for you. It applies math to the probability of God's existence. Most people demand visual proof.

For me it helps to prove God does exist because that is what I believe (or theorize).

* I haven't seen or heard God, nor has he come to me in my dreams.

“I'm out hunting”

Since: Jan 10

For your mind and soul

#6792 Mar 31, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
UFO's as visiting extra-terrestrial visitors is like billions of times more likely than a lonely, Universe Creating Super Being who just wanted somebody to worship him. I mean like ... come on.
Especially since that Creator makes no attempt to be seen. Think about it. If you are an obnoxious, self centered, egomaniac, deity, wouldn't you want to be seen by people so that they would willing prostrate before you instead of debating whether not you exist?
Granted the Japs worshiped an Emperor whom most of them never saw and who rarely went out in public, but that was because the Shoguns kept the emperors in a gilded cage until the Meji restoration.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6793 Mar 31, 2014
Thinking wrote:
You've never heard of Pascal's Wager? How odd. Here it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager
The main reason your argument is broken:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager...
I see no evidence for any deity, but that doesn't mean one couldn't exist.
However I do know that no all powerful compassionate god exists because we have evidence of avoidable suffering. If there was evidence for a god I would believe it. But I still wouldn't worship it.
<quoted text>
We are getting in deeper than time will allow. I need to break away and do what I feel God has intended for me to do - have meaningful interactions with my kids, so they can become productive citizens and help to make this world a better place to live.

If for some reason I don't get back to you on this post, please remind me. I'm looking forward to it.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#6794 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
2.4%. Need I say more
No, you don't. The above encapsulates your mentality perfectly. It shows that you fasten on a statistic that pleases you and use it as a trump card whenever you appear to be on the losing end in a discussion. It also show that you haven't clue about how statistics are collected, compile, and analyzed or how they should be used.

Te best use of statistics is to gain insight into matters with involve trends. While they can apply to many other areas of study, they are often used to understand trends in human populations. To assess those trend patterns and their current statuses, it is unwise to rely on a single study or to focus on a single datum. So narrow a focus is achieved at the sacrifice of wearing blinder that prevent the wider awareness that better use of statistics can provide.

In the current discussion, for example, I reviewed several sources: ARIS, PEW, Harris, Adherents, Statemaster, and Nationmaster, to name the more prominent ones. I wanted to understand the trends in belief before beginning to write, and ,while the trends I found do please me, I would have happily reported ones that were less favorable to my desires. I've done so in the past.

You, on the other hand have found this single datum that you repeat ad nauseam as though it were the only relevant one. It reflects a lack of intellectual depth that you would do better to conceal, if at all possible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 49 min Eagle 12 239,103
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr lozzza 19,037
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Eagle 12 7,391
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 2 hr NoahLovesU 7,468
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 2 hr thetruth 115
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Sun hpcaban 30
News .com | What hope is there without God? May 20 Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
More from around the web