'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#6760 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
guess it went over your head
Really Socrates? I dont believe it to be very complex.
Sounds more like something a stoner would come up with.

"why is there something rather than nothing man!"

Didn't take a trip over to Colorado this weekend did ya Anti?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#6761 Mar 31, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
what in the hell kind of an argument is that?
It's an argument of rabbit holes.
If there was nothing, he wouldn't exist so he wouldn't know there wasn't anything, but the universe is full of somethings, therefore God did it with Magic.
It's along the same lines as: the Bible is Truth because he wasn't born in Afghanistan. If he'd been born in Afghanistan, He'd believe Allah did it with Magic. Of course, he can't see or admit that it's just an aberration of his state of mind.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6762 Mar 31, 2014
Why is there something rather than nothing? There isn't any reason for anything to exist with your reasoning. Why would it? Thats why atheism makes no sense and only consists of 2.4% of the population. Most people know better.
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#6763 Mar 31, 2014
More than 50% of young adults no longer believe over here. The tide has turned.
antiatheist wrote:
Why is there something rather than nothing? There isn't any reason for anything to exist with your reasoning. Why would it? Thats why atheism makes no sense and only consists of 2.4% of the population. Most people know better.

Dallas, TX

#6764 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
I dont have any specific type of "reason" something is either reasonable or it isn't.

2.4% is you just favorite number isn't it.Not that over 7 MILLION PEOPLE is a small number. Dont forget that it increases every year and thats without us threatening anyone with eternal damnation.

Dallas, TX

#6765 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Most people know better.
Do you mean " more people are members of MY religion and therefore we're right"?

This argumentum ad populum argument has many flaws in it.

Just following the herd is never a good reason to do something.

This means if you lived at the time of Christ you would have rejected him because he only had 12 followers.This would be the very definition of "fringe group"
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6766 Mar 31, 2014
angel why don't you just take the time to look at the stats yourself. Its not like I just made those up. I also just looked at a worldwide pew research table and only 1.6% claim that are atheists. Is it growing? I don't know, maybe. But not at the rate you claim. You are an extremely small segment of the population.

“BAS in Electrical Engineering”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#6767 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
I have already disproved your stupid stat. Go ahead and stop trying to make it a thing.

There is something because life desires to live. If you don't desire to live, you die. If you are speaking about the universe, we know what it is made of and how it started. The only thing we don't know is what came before that. Why is saying 'cause god' any better than 'I don't know, lets find out'?

Your choice to be ignorant is yours but stop trying to convince people to be ignorant. Some of us actually enjoy having intellect and not just saying 'cause god'.
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#6768 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
angel why don't you just take the time to look at the stats yourself. Its not like I just made those up. I also just looked at a worldwide pew research table and only 1.6% claim that are atheists. Is it growing? I don't know, maybe. But not at the rate you claim. You are an extremely small segment of the population.
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#6769 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist is too retarded to use the reply button - therefore not credible.

The future is with the young, and the UK young don't believe. Only 25% believe in god.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/06/24/british-y...

Next target to take down: islamism.
Electrical Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
I have already disproved your stupid stat. Go ahead and stop trying to make it a thing.
There is something because life desires to live. If you don't desire to live, you die. If you are speaking about the universe, we know what it is made of and how it started. The only thing we don't know is what came before that. Why is saying 'cause god' any better than 'I don't know, lets find out'?
Your choice to be ignorant is yours but stop trying to convince people to be ignorant. Some of us actually enjoy having intellect and not just saying 'cause god'.

Dallas, TX

#6770 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
ok I'm just going by what you have said right here. I have not looked anything up I'm just using your numbers.

1.6% of SEVEN BILLION is 112,000,000

Location hidden

#6771 Mar 31, 2014
Thinking wrote:
The future is with the young, and the UK young don't believe. Only 25% believe in god.
<quoted text>
Sadly in the US they don't have such stats, that I could find. The closest thing I found was not recent polls stating "non-affiliated" numbers are 16+%. It seems people are having an issue admitting to atheism here. Probably because of the bullies such as anti giving them shit for having an open mind/different opinion.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#6772 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Why does there have to be a "why"? How do you know there has to be some kind of "reason" for everything? It makes you feel good? The question itself reveals your deep rooted desire to be a part of some Master Plan whose purpose and ultimate goal is outside our feeble comprehension. We all know this is not the case. We're reminded everyday that we are subject to random, violent events.
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#6773 Mar 31, 2014
Since 75% of young adults don't believe in the UK, that will become 50 million in just a couple of generations in this country alone. antiatheist's figures are obviously irrelevant.
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
ok I'm just going by what you have said right here. I have not looked anything up I'm just using your numbers.
1.6% of SEVEN BILLION is 112,000,000
So What

Newalla, OK

#6774 Mar 31, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the proper analogy would be; they have their doubts God exists, but were to afraid to admit it, because they would be ridiculed for being honest about their feelings. But because of advancements in communications they are able to come out of the closet because they can see that there are many people like them.

PHill brought up at good analogy. "I see no difference between people that believe in God or in Santa Claus. In fact, the evidence for Santa seems overwhelming, at first. Then we grow up and it kind of RUINS everything".

My kids don't believe in Santa Claus but when they say they don't, I rebut with, so if you don't believe he exists, does that mean you don't expect gifts from him? Then they say they do because they want gifts.

Just my 2 cents, or 2 pence.

Same thing with God, people have there doubts, but are afraid to admit it, because if God does exist, they won't receive the gift of eternal life, because most Christians tell them they won't.

I don't agree with that. I think it is a far better to admit that you have your doubts instead of being a hypocrite. You may be able to fool someone about your true beliefs, but you can't fool God, so why lie?

They lie because if they don't most Christians will give them crap over it. A group of young Christians can be like a pack of hyenas.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#6775 Mar 31, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
On the other hand, he has figured out how to judge his own posts.

Location hidden

#6776 Mar 31, 2014
Pretty sure I have heard religious people tell me god gave me free will however when I express such will, I'm the anti-christ.

Such a massive circle jerk.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6777 Mar 31, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
This is unprecedented, I am truly at a loss. It's like the Pot calling the Kettle black (or something like that).
Like the pot calling the kettle black?

You have a lot of nerve referring to yourself as the "Blue collar Philosopher", when that's all you can come up with. You can do better than using some worn out analogy like that.

Please try harder, because I still haven't come up with anything.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6778 Mar 31, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I
They lie because if they don't most Christians will give them crap over it. A group of young Christians can be like a pack of hyenas.
Another reason for not allowing religion in public schools. It promotes bullying. The worst kind in my opinion, because it attacks someone mentally, and can't be punished under the law, because it is protected under the 1st Amendment.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6779 Mar 31, 2014
Electrical Engineer wrote:
Pretty sure I have heard religious people tell me god gave me free will however when I express such will, I'm the anti-christ.
Such a massive circle jerk.
Nature of the beast. Attack something that is not natural to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min Ronnie 34,620
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Uncle Sam 14,891
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 5 hr ATHEOI 110
News Millionaire Entrepreneur Wants to 'Make Atheism... 6 hr Lawrence Wolf 396
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 10 hr ChristineM 255,503
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 10 hr ChristineM 20,053
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 14 hr emperorjohn 4,468
More from around the web