'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

Jul 5, 2013 Full story: NewsOK.com 7,541

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Full Story

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#6735 Mar 30, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
To "you" God is a fantasy character. Well, honestly that is going to be your problem.

One question, why is there something and not nothing?
Honestly, that is the problem that "you" have. Agree to disagree and you would have much less trouble in your communication with people on this topic....and I am not going to have a repeat conversation with you.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6736 Mar 30, 2014
Believing in God is no problem at all. I can't imagine someone not believing in God.

Now why is there something rather than nothing? If there is no God then there shouldn't be anything.

Location hidden

#6737 Mar 30, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Believing in God is no problem at all. I can't imagine someone not believing in God.

Now why is there something rather than nothing? If there is no God then there shouldn't be anything.
I never said believing in god was a problem for you...and I am not having a repeat conversation with you

Location hidden

#6738 Mar 30, 2014
antiatheist wrote:

If you can't imagine someone not believing in god then that is just another example of you ignoring things that are in front if you. There are many people that you argue with on here daily that don't believe in god. It's very easy to see.
-The Artist-

Norman, OK

#6739 Mar 30, 2014
10 atheists are in a burning building. How many try to get out of the building?

None. Nobody burns.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6740 Mar 30, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
We're Social Animals ... it's what we do. Forming ourselves into groups simplifies our 'Naked Ape' choices of dress, manner, etc.(great book, BTW ... should be required reading " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Ape&qu... ;). Yet, contention remains. Hell, we're at odds with ourselves even inside our own skulls. I'm a great fan of individuality and thus inimical to the core concepts of religion and conformity. You categorize YOURSELF when you call yourself a Christian, which I believe, both you and your buddy anti have done. I have, in this very thread, described "atheist" as an ugly word ... I don't like labels, but they are, to some extent, inevitable.
WarForOil has become boorish. I shouldn't have responded at any level. I seem to remember some unkind remarks from you. It's all part of the game, nothing truly injures, I just try to respond in kind. If I have treated you unjustly, accept my apologies. Perhaps you are a little too soft skinned to play here.
My life has been relatively pain free and plentiful. I feel very lucky (blessed you might say) with my lot in life. We are all very fortunate to live in these times when the ancient mysteries are explained away and we can all move on to bigger and better things. On a very personal note, I was kind of 'hurt' watching my mother suffer in her death throes (she was a devout Christian). Crying out in her pain and confusion why her god was punishing her. There's got to be a better way. I was, however,'atheist' long before these events unfolded. Bad things happening to Good People, good things happening to Bad People ... my 'faith' in the unguided, chaotic nature of the Universe remains unshaken.
I agree that "mean people suck". In this rather limited medium, text unadorned by our thousands of years of subtle social cues, it is easy to misconstrue the 'attitude' of the person 'talking' to you. Believe me, it's all in good fun, but sometimes ... people get hurt. Toughen up people.
]The power to reason is one proof that God exists for me.

I haven't read Naked Ape, but I'm sure it explains why we are more like animals than we want to believe. But by lumping all Christians into the same mold you have failed to use what makes us different from all animals, the ability to over come instinct and use reasoning. I think you have failed to take into account that some Christians don't believe the Bible as absolute truth. I have never seen any evidence that God owns publishing rights to any form of the Bible, or has ever had a publishing company. So you using the Bible as your evidence that God doesn't exist because the Bible is fiction doesn't work for this Christians.

I will admit that I use the term Christian loosely, because some Christians would accuse me of not being Christian because I have chosen to accept all forms of the Bible as not being absolutely true. But it gives me the opportunity to point out there short comings as a Christian, by pointing out that the Bible says it isn't their place to judge me, which in most cases makes them mad, and they walk away, and by doing so proves my point about their limitations as a Christian.

In my attempts to be a Christian, I absolutely believe that being hypocritical is not proper conduct. So I'm not going to lie about what I believe and not believe about my beliefs as a Christian.

As for the thickness of ones skin, if you feel that I was offended in any way, I'm sorry that I represented myself in that matter, because I wasn't. If I have been offended by anyone, I would have been offended by Anti, but I also was raised in a Southern Baptist Church and am accustomed to such conduct.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6741 Mar 30, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Believing in God is no problem at all. I can't imagine someone not believing in God
That would explain (at least for me anyways) why you take being a Christian for granted at times.

You sometimes use Christianity for a reason to insult and denigrate others, and it turns them away.

I will ask again. Do you think that it is proper conduct for a Christian?

I don't believe God demands perfection from us, but I think effort would be appreciated.

I also can do better. You help me to remember that.---------Thank You.

Peace Out!
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6742 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Well do you believe she is in a fantasy world? Do you believe she is brainwashed? She is a believer so I assume you think she is crazy? If not, then I assume that you think she has valid reasons for believing in God?
LOL! A Christian asking an Atheist to judge me?

This is a new concept for me. I love it! Someone please come up with a good analogy.

Location hidden

#6743 Mar 31, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! A Christian asking an Atheist to judge me?

This is a new concept for me. I love it! Someone please come up with a good analogy.
Anti thinks that everyone judges him because he's religious...I'm not sure about everyone else, but I most certainly have judged his character since he has joined the atheist forum.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#6744 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
To "you" God is a fantasy character. Well, honestly that is going to be your problem.
One question, why is there something and not nothing?
Whoa!! Don't you get dizzy going around in circles? I posted a lecture by a Famous Theoretical Physiscist answering this very question like a month or so ago. Very satisfactory and non-supernatural answers exist for this rather tedious question. I can see now why you Religious Folk need weekly injections of 'the Spirit'. Without it, you'd forget what you were doing and wander off, getting lost and hurting yourselves.

Texas, USA

#6745 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Well do you believe she is in a fantasy world? Do you believe she is brainwashed? She is a believer so I assume you think she is crazy? If not, then I assume that you think she has valid reasons for believing in God?
You don't have to be crazy to believe in a god, but it helps. I would think that having 'conversations' with invisible beings inside your head that you cannot attribute to your very own 'internal dialog' would be "crazy" to some extent. Depends on what they're telling you to do and whether you do it or not. We all meander close to the Crazy Line when we 'lose our temper' or participate in activities that are dangerous or clearly self destructive. Chatting with God about what color socks to wear or to succor the souls of the Dearly Departed is pretty 'harmless' I guess, but still technically cra cra.

Texas, USA

#6746 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Not if you live in a place that features Quantum Foam, Virtual Particles and Vacuum Fluctuations! Pay attention this time!! We're not going over it again!!!

Texas, USA

#6747 Mar 31, 2014
So What wrote:
This is unprecedented, I am truly at a loss. It's like the Pot calling the Kettle black (or something like that).

Texas, USA

#6748 Mar 31, 2014
-The Artist- wrote:
10 atheists are in a burning building. How many try to get out of the building?
None. Nobody burns.
What? Are you referring to our earlier conversation about Human bodies making poor fuel?

Anyone who thinks 'The Artist' is cra cra ... raise their hands ...

<wow>

... all opposed, same sign ...

Motion carries.
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#6749 Mar 31, 2014
One analogy is some cuntard called antiatheist wrote some moronic bollocks about you.
So What wrote:

Texas, USA

#6750 Mar 31, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>]The power to reason is one proof that God exists for me.
I haven't read Naked Ape, but I'm sure it explains why we are more like animals than we want to believe. But by lumping all Christians into the same mold you have failed to use what makes us different from all animals, the ability to over come instinct and use reasoning. I think you have failed to take into account that some Christians don't believe the Bible as absolute truth. I have never seen any evidence that God owns publishing rights to any form of the Bible, or has ever had a publishing company. So you using the Bible as your evidence that God doesn't exist because the Bible is fiction doesn't work for this Christians.
I will admit that I use the term Christian loosely, because some Christians would accuse me of not being Christian because I have chosen to accept all forms of the Bible as not being absolutely true. But it gives me the opportunity to point out there short comings as a Christian, by pointing out that the Bible says it isn't their place to judge me, which in most cases makes them mad, and they walk away, and by doing so proves my point about their limitations as a Christian.
In my attempts to be a Christian, I absolutely believe that being hypocritical is not proper conduct. So I'm not going to lie about what I believe and not believe about my beliefs as a Christian.
As for the thickness of ones skin, if you feel that I was offended in any way, I'm sorry that I represented myself in that matter, because I wasn't. If I have been offended by anyone, I would have been offended by Anti, but I also was raised in a Southern Baptist Church and am accustomed to such conduct.
Forgive me as I am pecking this out on a tiny phone in the dead of night so I must be brief. That you recognise the Bible as fallacious is a good thing. Question everything. Most Believers look around and see God literally EVERYWHERE. I'm afraid, for these folks there is no cure. I actually try to "lump" all people who embrace a belief in a supernatural component to Reality under the general term GODBOT, but for some reason y'all find that offensive. I find it funny. I see no difference between people that believe in God or in Santa Claus. In fact, the evidence for Santa seems overwhelming, at first. Then we grow up and it kind of RUINS everything.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#6751 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
the times on here must be off again Anti, it looks as if you stayed up until midnight again. Hmmmm.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#6752 Mar 31, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
that sure is a lot of assuming.
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#6753 Mar 31, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>

Forgive me as I am pecking this out on a tiny phone in the dead of night so I must be brief.

I find it funny. I see no difference between people that believe in God or in Santa Claus.
Try not to drink and text. Or philosophize.
Remember too that wiping is not a multi-task.

I believe in the vengeful old testament Santa.
And I believe I'll have another coffee and brandy.

Alcohol doesn't make you smarter and those people
aren't laughing with you. Philosophize on that.
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#6754 Mar 31, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>

Not if you live in a place that features Quantum Foam,
Virtual Particles and Vacuum Fluctuations! Pay attention this time!!
We're not going over it again!!!
The bar closes soon. Find a friend to drive.
That ain't Quantum Foam in your beer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 5 hr Eagle 12 2,407
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 hr Joe fortuna 232,877
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 10 hr _Bad Company 23,198
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 14 hr Pahu 33
God' existence 14 hr Carchar king 63
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 14 hr Carchar king 138
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 21 hr Crazy Mess 1
More from around the web