'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

Jul 5, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NewsOK.com

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Comments
6,341 - 6,360 of 7,541 Comments Last updated May 29, 2014
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6715 Mar 29, 2014
gotnatas wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is growing and that's a good thing. While it may be a small percentage at this time what do you expect? People still believe erroneous things for really bad reasons. Look at Francis Collins, He saw an ice flow with three pillars and it made him believe in the trinity. Look at how many people still believe in astrology??
If Atheism is at 7% and growing that's good. If it was less then that would be a VERY big concern. The Atheism movement is about critical thinking, education and humanitarianism. THATS GREAT!!!
<quoted text>
Im sure that PROJECTION sounded great in YOUR head.
As a Christian, I don't have a problem with Atheists. I'm a strong believer in, to each his own.

What I have a problem with is people that have become Atheists because of the treatment they have received from some Christians. It is ridiculous conduct and should not be tolerated by anyone. I have never understood the mistreatment of others by so-called Christians.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6716 Mar 29, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
UFO's as visiting extra-terrestrial visitors is like billions of times more likely than a lonely, Universe Creating Super Being who just wanted somebody to worship him. I mean like ... come on.
Angry? How do you even judge that by reading what people type? How do you know they're not laughing and tears running down their faces? You don't. You presume 'anger' because that is a reflection of yourself. The most important thing in your life, your life's defining role model, doesn't exist. At some level you know that. It angers you. You come here to be near other people who also know that. We make light. That angers you as well. It's okay. We're here to help.
If God's main purpose for creating us was to worship him, then he wouldn't have given us any chose in the matter,

Second paragraph I agree with. Anti's idea of god doesn't exist. What god would want him to turn people away.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#6717 Mar 29, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>As a Christian, I don't have a problem with Atheists. I'm a strong believer in, to each his own.

What I have a problem with is people that have become Atheists because of the treatment they have received from some Christians. It is ridiculous conduct and should not be tolerated by anyone. I have never understood the mistreatment of others by so-called Christians.
Thank you....and agreed
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6718 Mar 29, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
you do realize that atheism has been around forever right? Its taken you thousands of years to get up to 2.4%? Oh ya......growing like a weed.
Would that be the weeds that God created? Have you ever thought that God doesn't want you to cut down HIS WEEDS?

“Putten the SIN ”

Since: Nov 08

back in Wisconsin

#6719 Mar 30, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
you do realize that atheism has been around forever right? Its taken you thousands of years to get up to 2.4%? Oh ya......growing like a weed.
You do know superstition IE LAZY REASONING has been around forever right?

Pleas try harder.
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#6720 Mar 30, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>

You guys are practically neighbors.
If two people, both believers, both living in Oklahoma, can't agree ...

what chance do the rest of us have?
Every night in the bar where you hold court as Red Neck Philosopher,
everyone agrees with you.

Everyone wants another beer.

You should write a bible.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Texas, USA

#6721 Mar 30, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I find it interesting that people lump a large faction of people into the same mold. It doesn't seem to matter about beliefs, sex, sexual orientation, race, geographic location or economic position. Once someone categorizes someone else into a faction, they have issues with, they are no different than anyone else within that category.
And people wonder why there is so much hate in the world, while they are pushing an intolerance agenda.
I find it odd that you would offer no resistance to WarForOil's insults, and chose to try and insult someone that has only has offered reasonable debate.
And, have no problem claiming that you can't understand why Anti and I are different because we both claim to be Christian and live in the same state, like individualism has no place in your train of thought.
Please trust me when I say I am sorry that at some point in your life someone has hurt you. I have had the same issues with self-proclaimed Christians in my past also.
There is one thing you should remember; consider the source and go on, don't allow them the satisfaction of pulling you down to their level. Mean people suck.
Peace Out!
We're Social Animals ... it's what we do. Forming ourselves into groups simplifies our 'Naked Ape' choices of dress, manner, etc.(great book, BTW ... should be required reading " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Ape&qu... ;). Yet, contention remains. Hell, we're at odds with ourselves even inside our own skulls. I'm a great fan of individuality and thus inimical to the core concepts of religion and conformity. You categorize YOURSELF when you call yourself a Christian, which I believe, both you and your buddy anti have done. I have, in this very thread, described "atheist" as an ugly word ... I don't like labels, but they are, to some extent, inevitable.

WarForOil has become boorish. I shouldn't have responded at any level. I seem to remember some unkind remarks from you. It's all part of the game, nothing truly injures, I just try to respond in kind. If I have treated you unjustly, accept my apologies. Perhaps you are a little too soft skinned to play here.

My life has been relatively pain free and plentiful. I feel very lucky (blessed you might say) with my lot in life. We are all very fortunate to live in these times when the ancient mysteries are explained away and we can all move on to bigger and better things. On a very personal note, I was kind of 'hurt' watching my mother suffer in her death throes (she was a devout Christian). Crying out in her pain and confusion why her god was punishing her. There's got to be a better way. I was, however,'atheist' long before these events unfolded. Bad things happening to Good People, good things happening to Bad People ... my 'faith' in the unguided, chaotic nature of the Universe remains unshaken.

I agree that "mean people suck". In this rather limited medium, text unadorned by our thousands of years of subtle social cues, it is easy to misconstrue the 'attitude' of the person 'talking' to you. Believe me, it's all in good fun, but sometimes ... people get hurt. Toughen up people.

Texas, USA

#6722 Mar 30, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
ha.........okay I'll go ahead and be very generous and give you a whopping 7%. Thats still pathetic. There are probably at least 7% of the population that believes they were abducted by aliens.
Its so funny that all atheists do is cry about "evidence" and "facts" yet when confronted with the inconvenient facts they have trouble accepting them. Atheism must be a very strong cult.
Ultimately, the percentage of rational people doesn't matter. What matters is that the vast majority are certifiably not rational. Did you know that over 26% of the people around you are 'nuts' to some degree or other?

<" http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/t... ;

By your own calculation, that means the vast majority of crazy people must be Christians. I'm starting to see a pattern here ...

Texas, USA

#6723 Mar 30, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>If God's main purpose for creating us was to worship him, then he wouldn't have given us any chose in the matter,
Second paragraph I agree with. Anti's idea of god doesn't exist. What god would want him to turn people away.
He was alone, right?

He 'created us', right?

We're supposed to 'worship' him, right?

He gave us 'free will', right?

The 'free will' thing must have just been for his own amusement. Like having an Ant Colony or aquarium. "You are free to do as you wish within the confines as I have put forth" ... that sort of thing. Funny guy. No thanks.

Texas, USA

#6724 Mar 30, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
Every night in the bar where you hold court as Red Neck Philosopher,
everyone agrees with you.
Everyone wants another beer.
You should write a bible.
Let's put things in perspective.

I've been in ONE BAR for about TWO HOURS this year. I wish it were more, but it's not.

<I won at darts>

Texas, USA

#6725 Mar 30, 2014
" http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/t... ;

I tried my link. It didn't work. Dang government websites. Obama! Hmmmmmph. Trying it again. If it fails, Google "percentage of population with diagnosable mental illness" and it'll poop right out.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6726 Mar 30, 2014
so what is your church as judgmental as you are?

Texas, USA

#6727 Mar 30, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
so what is your church as judgmental as you are?
Uh ... you talk'n to me? I'm atheist. I don't go to church. I was raised Southern Baptist, as I've already mentioned. The poison has pretty much got out of my system.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6728 Mar 30, 2014
pay attention hill..........I said "so what". Now, go back to your angry atheism
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6729 Mar 30, 2014
I wonder what you guys think of "so what" since she said she is a Christian. You think she is brainwashed or just flat out living in a fantasy world?

Location hidden

#6730 Mar 30, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
pay attention hill..........I said "so what". Now, go back to your angry atheism
He was paying attention...you don't know how to use the reply button like normal people. Makes your responses open to everyone

Location hidden

#6731 Mar 30, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
I wonder what you guys think of "so what" since she said she is a Christian. You think she is brainwashed or just flat out living in a fantasy world?
I don't agree with her beliefs, but I think she's got more respect for people than you have in your pinky toe
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6732 Mar 30, 2014
Well do you believe she is in a fantasy world? Do you believe she is brainwashed? She is a believer so I assume you think she is crazy? If not, then I assume that you think she has valid reasons for believing in God?

Location hidden

#6733 Mar 30, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Well do you believe she is in a fantasy world? Do you believe she is brainwashed? She is a believer so I assume you think she is crazy? If not, then I assume that you think she has valid reasons for believing in God?
To me "god" is a fantasy character. Not a very good one for the most part in my opinion. I think that everyone who is religious is brainwashed to an extent. They follow by faith, and have no evidence to show for their claims, therefore when someone claims to know for certain that a god exists and they do it vehemently, they have to be brainwashed by the mass religious group, or they would look outside that box more openly. I do not, and have never said that I think anyone is crazy for being religious...and I think anyone who believes in a god believes that they have a valid reason to do so...however I would not agree that those reasons would be valid...of course that should be obvious since you are aware that I do not believe in god.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6734 Mar 30, 2014
To "you" God is a fantasy character. Well, honestly that is going to be your problem.

One question, why is there something and not nothing?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 33 min macumazahn 226,394
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Mikko 21,506
The Ultimate Evidence of God 5 hr CunningLinguist 65
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 11 hr Jaimie 57
The myth of the angry atheist 12 hr _Bad Company 1
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! 14 hr Patrick 7
100% Faith Free 14 hr CunningLinguist 14
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••