'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

So What

Newalla, OK

#6680 Mar 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
why would a christian want to take the lords name in vain?
So they can be judged by a perfect Christian?

To bad they don't exist. Read your Bible.

Shhhhh! The Thunder are playing.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6681 Mar 28, 2014
Why would any Christian want to be so disrespectful to God? I just don't get that at all. You are way too concerned about someone judging you so what. Must be a guilty conscience. I would really like to know where you attend church, what denomination you are, etc. The things you seem to stand for are contrary to Gods word which doesn't make sense.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#6682 Mar 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
ha....I leave for a bit and come back to all these comments. Hilarious. Are you people that sensitive????? Man I can see why most people don't like atheists.
Are we going to continue to see repeated posts? You don't leave long enough to be surprised at any kind of responses lol

Location hidden

#6683 Mar 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Why would any Christian want to be so disrespectful to God? I just don't get that at all. You are way too concerned about someone judging you so what. Must be a guilty conscience. I would really like to know where you attend church, what denomination you are, etc. The things you seem to stand for are contrary to Gods word which doesn't make sense.
You disrespect your god every day.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6684 Mar 28, 2014
iseeyou you are a joke of a person.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6685 Mar 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
LOL! I could careless about someone like you judging me.

My concern is what people that I respect and that I care about think about me. I may not always say what someone wants to hear, and I might not always say the right thing, but people that know me understand that I'm not perfect and I make mistakes (like all Christians do) but I don't let pride and arrogance prevent me for apologizing if I've made a mistake, or even saying I'm sorry if I've hurt someone's feelings by telling the truth. It has nothing to do with my beliefs. It has everything to do with my reputation as a person.

I don't think you would like OUR Church because we have special seating for hypocrites. It is called the curb. Because people like you can tear the guts out of a church. OUR minister would tell you that he is very protective of his congregation and will not allow it to be subjected by your type of wraith.

Have you seen the bumper stickers that says mean people suck? He has one on his car, and he parks where everyone can see it as we walk in OUR church, it is there as a reminder that you need to be respectful of others while at OUR church.

And OUR members are very protective of OUR church, it would be irresponsible of me to tell you what church we attend. Intolerance and discrimination is not allowed.

So to answer your question about what type of church we attend, the answer would have be a church for all faiths, religions and beliefs, but a church that doesn't allow just anyone.

Peace Out!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6686 Mar 28, 2014
Really? You don't accept sinners into your church? Wow sounds like a judgmental group of people. Your church honestly doesn't allow just anyone? Thats crazy but I bet you fit right in.

Location hidden

#6687 Mar 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
iseeyou you are a joke of a person.
As I said...you disrespect your god every day.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#6688 Mar 29, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like your trying to preach a Sermon on the Mound.
Man has a tendency to give themselves more credit than they deserve. We believe that we are the ultimate creature,(God's favorite), but there will be other creatures that will remain long after we are gone. Not many though, because we will consume or destroy most resources that are essential to living creatures existence.
In reality we are very self-destructive, and maybe God has decided we are no longer worth the time or effort, and is allowing us to determine our own demise.
Maybe the current evolution of the Universe proves God is busy else ware and is done with us.
Your giving Atheists more credit than they deserve, because they are homo sapiens just like everyone else.
Maybe the next form of man won't be cursed with arrogance.
Would that be the Venus Mound? You people are obsessed.

But no. I was trying to suggest that there is no God. Advanced "technology indistinguishable from magic" wielding beings, maybe. Gadgetry yes, wizardry no. That sort of thing. You know ... Atheist stuff. Not really my idea. "2001: A Space Odyssey" (and subsequent sequels) is basically about a super-race who gives us a little technology push and later let us join them in their quasi-godlike club. Hell, I'm still expecting a Monolith to be discovered buried in Tycho crater if your buddy Obummer ever let's us get back to the Moon.

As belly-button-lint-contemplatin g-beings-who-condensed-out-of- a-swirling-cloud-of-supernovae -debris I think we are kind of special. Who knows how often that happens?!? Not me, that's for sure. There's nothing in the data to suggest we should be "arrogant" about anything though. Quite the contrary. We're very delicate and the Universe is a dangerous place. Hell ... I'd pray if I thought anything was listening.

I think Atheist deserve some credit. We're like the one's who have groped around in the dark long enough to actually find the light switch. What we see in that light is a bunch of scared, confused people. My first impulse is to turn the light back off.

Texas, USA

#6689 Mar 29, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Really? You don't accept sinners into your church? Wow sounds like a judgmental group of people. Your church honestly doesn't allow just anyone? Thats crazy but I bet you fit right in.
I think that's what Groucho meant with his "I don't want to be a member of any club who would have me for a member" remark.

Any heathern can pay and become a Catholic. Why any self-respecting heathern would want to do such a thing eludes me.

So What belongs to the Church of the Latter Day Everybody Else is Wrong Saints. I was raised Baptist and those folks are so desperate they'll take anybody who can nod their heads in the right places and eat Fried Chicken. I just could never bring myself to nod my head in the right places.

Texas, USA

#6690 Mar 29, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope not-- a great deal of humor comes from the silliness that is religion.
;)
Maybe we could keep it as a pet. Caged. Out in the back yard.

Texas, USA

#6691 Mar 29, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yes we would!
(Sorry:-)
If secular organisations and associations can get along, I suppose it is no more difficult for those that tend to exclude or aren't attractive to non-believers. For instance, there are many Humanist, Skeptic, Atheist, Rationalist, Freethinking and other associations of non-believers who do charity work, hold meetings and do lots that is positive and constructive together...
http://americanhumanist.org/
http://www.kcatheists.org/
They're everywhere, even in the USA.
Many atheists aren't Humanists ('H'), nor 'Skeptics', but that doesn't stop them from being humanists ('h') and sceptics.
It was wrong of me, of course, to generalize or over-simplify. Even so, I'm sure there are striking and fundamental differences in the way church-goers and Atheist/Humanist Association members go over their material. Now ... where'd I put my "Life of Brian" DVD ...

Texas, USA

#6692 Mar 29, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't assume too much.
I don't consider you a member of mine.
Have another red neck beer and be one with the bar.
Good advice!
Thanks!!
Think I will ...

Texas, USA

#6693 Mar 29, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Going back to what RHill said... if all these churchers really pat each other on the back, why has christianity fragmented into over 40,000 sects?
<quoted text>
The back-patting is only the outward manifestation of deep rooted hostility. They're symbolically stabbing each other. Nasty stuff. Not easy to watch.

Texas, USA

#6694 Mar 29, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
the world of the atheist revolves around God. Denying God, mocking God, mocking anyone that believes in God. You are obsessed with something you claim not to believe in. Its weird
What's weird is your total over-estimation of the level of our interest. It's a passing thing. Like if I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night to pee ... I'd probably never give you bots a thought. Those 'small, still voices'... turns out they're my own thoughts and THEY WANT OUT!!!

Well ... you may take me to task on that. I have been doing a lot of 'waiting' at work these days. I hate being idle so I usually whip out the old smart-phone and have a go at Topix or whatever. It's actually more interesting that playing Solitaire or Backgammon or some other game ... done my share of "obsessing" on those time wasters! At least on Topix, FB or whatever you are interacting with other people on some kind of level. Maybe picking up an insight or two ... not a total waste.

Texas, USA

#6695 Mar 29, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
don't think so. I'll put it in terms you can understand. Personally, I don't believe in UFO's. I think those that do are wanting to believe in something that isn't there. However, I really don't spend any time thinking about it. I don't start topics about it nor do I go out of my way to ridicule anyone. That would be very weird for me to do anything like that because its just not important to me. People can believe in anything they want. Now, atheists on the other hand, can't seem to do that. They obsess over God and Christians and just let it make them so angry. It makes absolutely no sense. Its become a religion to you and a powerful one at that.
UFO's as visiting extra-terrestrial visitors is like billions of times more likely than a lonely, Universe Creating Super Being who just wanted somebody to worship him. I mean like ... come on.

Angry? How do you even judge that by reading what people type? How do you know they're not laughing and tears running down their faces? You don't. You presume 'anger' because that is a reflection of yourself. The most important thing in your life, your life's defining role model, doesn't exist. At some level you know that. It angers you. You come here to be near other people who also know that. We make light. That angers you as well. It's okay. We're here to help.

Texas, USA

#6696 Mar 29, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
You guys are practically neighbors. If two people, both believers, both living in Oklahoma, can't agree ... what chance do the rest of us have?
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#6697 Mar 29, 2014
When oldies like you drop off their perch, the numbers of non believers will change massively.
antiatheist wrote:
ha I KNEW angel was going to say that. Do you realize there are almost 320 million people in the US? 7 million is nothing.......its 2.4%. Deal with it
Thinking

Wellingborough, UK

#6698 Mar 29, 2014
They need to go to the pub. You can sort out most differences over a real ale.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
The back-patting is only the outward manifestation of deep rooted hostility. They're symbolically stabbing each other. Nasty stuff. Not easy to watch.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6699 Mar 29, 2014
2.4%. Need I say more

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 58 min nanoanomaly 117
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr 15th Dalai Lama 74,760
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 3 hr Dogen 4,048
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 11 hr Subduction Zone 6,084
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Thu Subduction Zone 32,062
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Wed John 4,951
News Why do public atheists have to behave like such... Jun 21 Eagle 12 - 4
More from around the web