'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6660 Mar 28, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does everyone have to do the same thing for you to be happy?
WE ARE A COUNTRY OF DIVERSITY
We have people from different religions, different races, sexual orientation, old people , young people, democrats, republicans, northerners, southerners, east coasters and west coasters
what is this obsession with " There are more Christians so we are right"?
that 2012 pew does say 2.4% people polled considered themselves to be atheists. You excluded agnostic, unaffiliated or people who aren't sure, all of who's numbers were up
Atheists alone were up .0.8%
Christianly down 5%
The Moral Majority is neither.

:D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6661 Mar 28, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does everyone have to do the same thing for you to be happy?
WE ARE A COUNTRY OF DIVERSITY
We have people from different religions, different races, sexual orientation, old people , young people, democrats, republicans, northerners, southerners, east coasters and west coasters
what is this obsession with " There are more Christians so we are right"?
that 2012 pew does say 2.4% people polled considered themselves to be atheists. You excluded agnostic, unaffiliated or people who aren't sure, all of who's numbers were up
Atheists alone were up .0.8%
Christianly down 5%
And the Religious Right never is.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6662 Mar 28, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>It may only be 8%, but it is a honest 8%.

I'll bet you didn't know the Bible says that you have to believe in God in order to reject God.
So Atheists could be accepted into Heaven before you and me. I would prefer to be behind an

Atheist than you, when it is time for me to be judged, I believe the wait would be much shorter.
Have fun with that.
Interesting.

Of course, one would hope that your heaven is **other** than what is described here and there.

For having to exist in a place, as described (in the bible and elsewhere), would be a literal hell to many of us atheists.

In fact, I cannot fathom an eternity of anything not eventually becoming hellish from dull repetition.

One would hope, that if your afterlife turns out to be real?

That growth and personal improvement would still be not only possible, but even better than what's offered here on earth.

Otherwise, it's just stagnation -- which is, as I already noted, a hellish thing to experience.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6663 Mar 28, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Why do you think I have to answer questions and I don't?
Let me answer that question for you. It is because you think you are a better Christian than I am.
Don't you.
Without a doubt, his massive ego **is** his most defining characteristic.

<laffin>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6664 Mar 28, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You >are< judgmental. So What is just observant.
Why should he have to address your questions when you childishly ignore facts and valid answers?
Indeed.

Anti is a virtual poster-child for why NOT to be a Genuine Christian™

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6665 Mar 28, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Like I have said before, your issues aren't about Christ it is about mental illness. You better hope I'm right, it may be the only hope for you on your Judgment Day.
If you think your hurting my feelings, your even sicker than even I can conclude. Delusion is a very hard diagnosis. In the past it led to treatments like electric shock or lobotomies. These days Chlorpromazine. I'm sure a trip to Griffin Memorial will get you what you need. Tell them you have scrupulosity. Just remember that aren't is the business of exorcisms. and you should get though your treatments just fine.
Peace Out!
LOL!

Do you really think he could be helped? I suspect the willful brain damage is too great...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6666 Mar 28, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't THAT be a hoot!
But, let's face it ... any REAL god or gods would simply <read: must> be from one of Clarke's "magical" super-advanced technological civilisations. These 'gods' would have no interest in one of their 'creations' who remain trapped in a primitive superstitious developmental phase. In fact, they are more likely to tire of the continued nonsense, zap us, and start over. Sparing the Atheists, of course, who will have the enviable task of repopulating a pristine new world.
I hope not-- a great deal of humor comes from the silliness that is religion.

;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6667 Mar 28, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I've always thought you were just a roll playing troll that's only interest was to amuse. I've jokingly toyed with you in the past about being mentally ill, but now you have proved you really are.
I've read your posts on Missing Eufaula family -KFOR- and for some reason you have stepped into a new realm, and have decided to pleasure yourself by tormenting a family that have family members missing.
You and Packing Heat have something in common, you're both roll players, that have reduced yourself to only having the internet for your social lives. That is why you mainly troll each other.
If I were you , I would be treading real lightly on the forums, because judging by the reaction (or the lack of) the family member that you have trolled on missing persons forum, is baiting you into more hate crimes, and I know for a fact that case is still open. Law enforcement just might use you for proof to that family, they are still working it.
Not an idle threat.

Former Topix trolls have been investigated, in the past.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6668 Mar 28, 2014
Electrical Engineer wrote:
So just after about 5 minutes of reading I have found that Pew has also said the following:
"A 2012 study by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life reports:
The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public – and a third of adults under 30 – are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling.
In the last five years alone, the unaffiliated have increased from just over 15% to just under 20% of all U.S. adults. Their ranks now include more than 13 million self-described atheists and agnostics (nearly 6% of the U.S. public), as well as nearly 33 million people who say they have no particular religious affiliation (14%)."
So anti, what's your next response? Probably something redundant and completely useless.
Anytime you dig deeper, and show that Anti was lying?

He will ignore your post, and go back to repeating something else.

It's almost amusing.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6669 Mar 28, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how you claim 7 million self described atheists is nothing - but it still consumes you. Then of course, it can go without saying that the estimated 4 million gay guys in the US are bound to get your panties in a wad.
Well, Anti **is** obsessed with teh gays.

It's likely due to him being a gay-homosexual.

No *wonder* he's so mad all the time-- he keeps denying his own nature.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6670 Mar 28, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>OH MY GAWD!
I must have really pissed you off. You're referring to me as female.
I wonder what will be next?
I'll bet that I will soon be a race also, and that race will probably start with a N.
It amazes me how anger will open the door to ones true self.
LOL! I wasn't thinking about the same N word you just were Anti.
LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6671 Mar 28, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, 7 million of ANYTHING is a large amount Anti,
You seem to be caught up with the "we have more people so we win" argument.
By **that** measure?

The majority religion in China, or even India would win that one-- hands down.

LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6672 Mar 28, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Anti, does that he thought I was a lesbian.
I have never said that I am a lesbian, he just pulled that out of his a$$
Anti,for some reason, reffers to me as female also. I have never told him I was female either. again, straight from the a$$.
Some people don't care if what they say is correct or not, just as long as the gums are flapping.
Well, I strongly suspect Anti is a gay-homosexual-- deeply repressed.

It easily explains why he's so angry all the time, too.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6673 Mar 28, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting.
Of course, one would hope that your heaven is **other** than what is described here and there.
For having to exist in a place, as described (in the bible and elsewhere), would be a literal hell to many of us atheists.
In fact, I cannot fathom an eternity of anything not eventually becoming hellish from dull repetition.
One would hope, that if your afterlife turns out to be real?
That growth and personal improvement would still be not only possible, but even better than what's offered here on earth.
Otherwise, it's just stagnation -- which is, as I already noted, a hellish thing to experience.
Some believe there are different levels of Heaven. I haven't given it much thought, until recently.

When Anti says things like Gay Teens and Jr. High Girls without provocation, it did cross my mind that the Heaven that we are all familiar with (the one with no genitals) might be reserved for people like him.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6674 Mar 28, 2014
bobs going crazy again. Gay Christian? No such thing
So What

Newalla, OK

#6675 Mar 28, 2014
<quoted text>
I say goddammit all the time-- it's a long-standing habit I got into, from back when I was a believer.
Of course, the study of how humans use expletives is an interesting one, well worth your time to investigate.
It also shows that humans can actually reduce both stress hormones, and reduce actual pain, when expletives are used (as opposed to suppressing them-- which can have the opposite effect).
Christians do it with a capital G. Doing so puts more emphasis in expression.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6676 Mar 28, 2014
<quoted text>
LOL!
Do you really think he could be helped? I suspect the willful brain damage is too great...
It is not my place to judge, but only to attempt to help.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6677 Mar 28, 2014
Christians take the lords name in vain? None that I know do........if they do they shouldn't.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6678 Mar 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Christians take the lords name in vain? None that I know do........if they do they shouldn't.
LOL! No Christians that are gay and no Christians that say goddammit?

Are you trying to prove there are no Christians? If you are, you're doing a good job!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6679 Mar 28, 2014
why would a christian want to take the lords name in vain?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 27 min dollarsbill 5,108
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Subduction Zone 85,718
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Mon Eagle 12 - 115
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Jan 17 ChristineM 4,026
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Jan 16 Into The Night 5,146
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Jan 15 Dogen 33,127
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Jan 14 emperorjohn 1
More from around the web