'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

Jul 5, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NewsOK.com

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Comments
6,261 - 6,280 of 7,541 Comments Last updated May 29, 2014

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#6635 Mar 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Did I say I was unhappy?
you dont have to say it. it shows.

“BAS in Electrical Engineering”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#6636 Mar 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
PEW researched is bias??? Sorry those are the facts whether you like it or not.
They are not. The pew stats you brought up were the second link I tried on a quick google search. You clearly didn't do enough research. There are other sources that show over 20% non-affiliated groups. All be it the majority of these people do not admit to Atheist.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6637 Mar 28, 2014
ha I KNEW angel was going to say that. Do you realize there are almost 320 million people in the US? 7 million is nothing.......its 2.4%. Deal with it

Location hidden

#6638 Mar 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
ha I KNEW angel was going to say that. Do you realize there are almost 320 million people in the US? 7 million is nothing.......its 2.4%. Deal with it
In 2005 it was 5%. Dumbshit.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#6639 Mar 28, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>must we do this all the time. You never seem to be able to do the math on that. 2.4% of the population of a America is over 7 million people.
And over half of the population of people who claim to be christian, anti says are not truly christian, so....his numbers are way off.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6640 Mar 28, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't THAT be a hoot!
But, let's face it ... any REAL god or gods would simply <read: must> be from one of Clarke's "magical" super-advanced technological civilisations. These 'gods' would have no interest in one of their 'creations' who remain trapped in a primitive superstitious developmental phase. In fact, they are more likely to tire of the continued nonsense, zap us, and start over. Sparing the Atheists, of course, who will have the enviable task of repopulating a pristine new world.
Sounds like your trying to preach a Sermon on the Mound.

Man has a tendency to give themselves more credit than they deserve. We believe that we are the ultimate creature,(God's favorite), but there will be other creatures that will remain long after we are gone. Not many though, because we will consume or destroy most resources that are essential to living creatures existence.

In reality we are very self-destructive, and maybe God has decided we are no longer worth the time or effort, and is allowing us to determine our own demise.

Maybe the current evolution of the Universe proves God is busy else ware and is done with us.

Your giving Atheists more credit than they deserve, because they are homo sapiens just like everyone else.

Maybe the next form of man won't be cursed with arrogance.

Location hidden

#6641 Mar 28, 2014
So just after about 5 minutes of reading I have found that Pew has also said the following:

"A 2012 study by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life reports:
The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public and a third of adults under 30 are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling.
In the last five years alone, the unaffiliated have increased from just over 15% to just under 20% of all U.S. adults. Their ranks now include more than 13 million self-described atheists and agnostics (nearly 6% of the U.S. public), as well as nearly 33 million people who say they have no particular religious affiliation (14%)."

So anti, what's your next response? Probably something redundant and completely useless.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#6642 Mar 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Funny how you claim 7 million self described atheists is nothing - but it still consumes you. Then of course, it can go without saying that the estimated 4 million gay guys in the US are bound to get your panties in a wad.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#6643 Mar 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
That ignores the fact that most people are less religious than they were. Pew talks rather vaguely about 'decreased religiosity' but attitudes are changing. It is obvious to most people who think about it that, in reality, there are no such things as Abrahamic god(s) or any of these...
godchecker.com
Nor is there any science or evidence supporting the existence of a interventionist god or Creator,(hence the "science" of Creationism).

Bush41 talked like this....
http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.h...
and though neither he nor his son never retracted it they weren't stupid enough to repeat such sick prejudice either.

Most people know that the Jesus of Christian mythology is quite distinct from the historical personage on which he was based, about whom little is known. We don't know what Jesus said. We don't know that Jesus wasn't also Judas. We can be reasonably sure that Jesus wasn't born of a virgin and didn't walk on water, much less was sent to Earth because he was the son of the one true God and needed to die for our "sins".

To put it simply, most people probably know in their hearts that religion is divisive and outdated tripe. Christianity certainly is.

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#6644 Mar 28, 2014
Oops, double negative, "neither he nor his son [n]ever "
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6645 Mar 28, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>That ignores the fact that most people are less religious than they were. Pew talks rather vaguely about 'decreased religiosity' but attitudes are changing. It is obvious to most people who think about it that, in reality, there are no such things as Abrahamic god(s) or any of these...
godchecker.com
Nor is there any science or evidence supporting the existence of a interventionist god or Creator,(hence the "science" of Creationism).
Bush41 talked like this....
http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.h...
and though neither he nor his son never retracted it they weren't stupid enough to repeat such sick prejudice either.
Most people know that the Jesus of Christian mythology is quite distinct from the historical personage on which he was based, about whom little is known. We don't know what Jesus said. We don't know that Jesus wasn't also Judas. We can be reasonably sure that Jesus wasn't born of a virgin and didn't walk on water, much less was sent to Earth because he was the son of the one true God and needed to die for our "sins".
To put it simply, most people probably know in their hearts that religion is divisive and outdated tripe. Christianity certainly is.
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
Maybe they aren't less religious, just more honest.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6646 Mar 28, 2014
EdSed wrote:
Oops, double negative, "neither he nor his son [n]ever "
LOL! A double negative means it is a positive. I'll have to think about what you were really meaning to say.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6647 Mar 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
love it how so what can't answer simple questions but then turns around and blows smoke up her fellow atheists butts. I guess it gives all of you comfort. Afterall at 2.4% its probably difficult to find conversation in real life.
OH MY GAWD!

I must have really pissed you off. You're referring to me as female.

I wonder what will be next?

I'll bet that I will soon be a race also, and that race will probably start with a N.

It amazes me how anger will open the door to ones true self.

LOL! I wasn't thinking about the same N word you just were Anti.

Dallas, TX

#6648 Mar 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
lol, 7 million of ANYTHING is a large amount Anti,

You seem to be caught up with the "we have more people so we win" argument.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#6649 Mar 28, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, 7 million of ANYTHING is a large amount Anti,
You seem to be caught up with the "we have more people so we win" argument.
That's only to the point that the law of the land stands in their way - then the 'Christian majority' becomes the 'persecuted minority'. Hey anti - can you say "fringe group"?

Dallas, TX

#6650 Mar 28, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>OH MY GAWD!
I must have really pissed you off. You're referring to me as female.
I wonder what will be next?
Anti, does that he thought I was a lesbian.
I have never said that I am a lesbian, he just pulled that out of his a$$
Anti,for some reason, reffers to me as female also. I have never told him I was female either. again, straight from the a$$.
Some people don't care if what they say is correct or not, just as long as the gums are flapping.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6651 Mar 28, 2014
ha....I leave for a bit and come back to all these comments. Hilarious. Are you people that sensitive????? Man I can see why most people don't like atheists.

Location hidden

#6652 Mar 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
ha....I leave for a bit and come back to all these comments. Hilarious. Are you people that sensitive????? Man I can see why most people don't like atheists.
Haha hypocrite, you are here just the same.

Dallas, TX

#6653 Mar 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Leave, you dont ever leave. You dont have anything else to do.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6654 Mar 28, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious statistics are difficult to pin down, especially in terms of the variance between self-identification and actual belief. The most recent poll that I know if is the Harris poll of 2013. It reported that 12% of the American public answers "No" when asked about belief if God and 8% answer that they are not sure, yet the Pew poll of 2007 found that only 1.6% self identify as atheists and 2.4% as agnostics. Both of the Pew percentages may have risen by 2013, but certainly not to the extent shown by questions about belief as opposed to self-identification. If we drop the latter in favor of the former, we find that nonbelievers comprise 26% of the American adult population, up from 18% in 2007.
That is a minority, but not a small one by any rational standard. And it appears to be growing rapidly.
Furthermore, if you split the various brands of "christian" into their individual self-identified groups?

The only brand of christian that even comes close to the 26% fraction, is catholics, at roughly 27% or so.

All the remaining brands of christian are less than that-- most considerably less, down in the single-digit percentages.

As usual, unless one is looking at the whole picture, statistics can be misleading.

:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 6 min _Bad Company 419
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 12 min Believer 226,296
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 14 min Mikko 45
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 29 min Patrick 27
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 38 min Patrick 172
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 43 min Patrick 21,501
100% Faith Free 4 hr Thinking 11
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••