'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6577 Mar 27, 2014
RHill wrote:
That is weird.
Atheist Church! All the bots do in Church is agree and pat each other on the back. All we would do is argue.
It's hard to believe we're from the same species.
Maybe evolution has selected us for extinction. After all ... people who argue a lot rarely have sex. Without sex, that pesky fetal tissue disposal problem never arises.
Come to think of it, Homosexuality effectively solves the "pesky fetal tissue disposal problem". It may well be a solution that came down from The Big Guy Upstairs himself. It's the kind of thing He would do. Quite the Cosmic Joker.
You bots may want to re-"think" your position on that issue.
LOL!

I suspect that an "atheist church" would be very similar to a "cat convention"-- all you'd get would be yowling, cat-fights and nobody can agree which side of the litter box to use first.

<laffin>

Me, I'm **always** suspicious of group-think. Always.

I **may** decide to go along, just to get along, but I try to always **think** about it first.

Never because "everybody is doing it"... never that.

The majority is seldom innovative.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6578 Mar 27, 2014
Thinking wrote:
With DesperateForAttention, Grapevine TX on piano...
I'm seeing the Python's live on July 1st.
<quoted text>
Oh my! I am so jealous!

<laffin>

I bet it'll be a hoot.

“BAS in Electrical Engineering”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#6579 Mar 27, 2014
First of all, not all atheists do what you say they do. Actually very few do that.

Secondly, god is mentioned in every public school that requires the Pledge of Allegiance to be said. It refers to "one god".

Lastly, once you stop generalizing atheists I'll stop generalizing Christians.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6580 Mar 27, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Going back to what RHill said... if all these churchers really pat each other on the back, why has christianity fragmented into over 40,000 sects?
<quoted text>
Exactly!

Its almost as if there was no central guiding force behind any of them, isn't it?

It's as if they were each just a random collection of geographically grouped people, who depend on inter-generational word-of-mouth to keep up the Traditions....

... as if there was not a god behind any of them.

<laffin>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6581 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
not only weird but angry. I don't know how you people get this way. Must be a past trauma
Yes, yes -- we all know you are angry all the time.

I think if you would quit **fighting** the fact that you **are** a gay-homosexual, you'd be considerably **less** angry.

And you'd experience less trauma in your miserable life, too.

No?

Well.... enjoy your anger and trauma, then.

You **do** appear to enjoy wallowing in your misery.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6582 Mar 27, 2014
Pew research has your numbers, as of 2012, as a whopping 2.4 %. Wow........a whole 2.4 % of the US population consider themselves atheists. If that isn't a fringe group I don't know what is.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6583 Mar 27, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You might be onto something, aa... perhaps subconscious is giving you hints that your irrational denial and outrage stems from not being able to cope with the reality that you were lied to in Sunday School. You might wish to discuss that with your therapist.
Indeed.

I suspect he's experiencing trauma from fighting the fact he's secretly a gay-homosexual.

His obsession with that subject is ... quite revealing.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6584 Mar 27, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I would prefer that you don't use yourself as a poster child for public schools. Public schools in Oklahoma have enough issues to deal with already.
Intolerant Christians (like you) are the reason why we don't have so called religion in public schools. My children's' schools still say God in The Pledge of Allegiance, and a minute of silence after it, in order to prevent people (like you) from raining down their Wraith Of God upon them.
HATE AND INTOLERANCE SHOULD NOT BE TAUGHT IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS.
I use the description, Christian to describe you, even though I believe It doesn't really apply to your issues for ranting.
Brilliantly Stated, So What!

Kudos to you-- if more Christians were like YOU?

There would be no need for the so-called militant atheists.

No, indeed.

I have no beef with you, or people who behave as you do (my brother is in your camp, so to speak-- I'm not just talking out of the side of my mouth, here-- I love my brother like ... well... a brother. <heh> )

Salute!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6585 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Actually, the majority of people would like to still have God included in school.
Start your own school, then.

Or keep your in-bread under-educated brats **out** of public school.

The US Constitution strictly forbids bigots like you from getting your way.

In fact, the US was **founded** on exactly that: the principle of NOT HAVING PUBLIC-ENDORSED RELIGION.

And that is what including your ugly godling in PUBLIC school would be: public endorsement of ONE BRAND of religion.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6586 Mar 27, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Your household doesn't count as a majority. But if I had something to do with keeping religion out of public schools than I'm glad they listened to me.
I am surprised to her you have a wife. I'll bet she isn't afraid of dying like you, because you have rolled over for far to long.
I'll bet this death row issue that Oklahoma is having is driving you crazy. I know how Christians (like you) are into killing.
It is sad, isn't it?

In my many-times reading of the 4 gospels, I came to a kind of understanding of what the Jesus character was-- to the best of anyone's ability in such a case.

One thing Jesus did **not** do? Was advocate killing people-- quite the opposite. He had ample opportunity, on multiple occasions, and Lawfully under Jewish Law, to press for the killing of a wrong-doer.

In no case did Jesus press for the killing-- in **every** case, he pushed for some other solution instead.

Even the one time he showed anger (the temple money-changers), the story reads that he whipped them good, but it does **not** say he **killed** anybody-- and if he was so inclined to killing--**that** would have been the time for it. It does say he was quite angry.

Yet, I hear these self-styled "christians" who clamor the loudest, for State Sanctioned Murder (death penalty).

How ... ironic to me, to see them do that.

Of course, the Old Testament is **full** of death-penalties, so I understand where they get the ideas from...

... but it was **not** from their central character, Jesus.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6587 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Love how you ignore the facts. The majority of people in this country are Christians.
So what?

At one point, the Majority in the South, was pro-slavery.

Does that make it MORAL?

Of course not!

The MAJORITY does not mean SQUAT, when it comes to morality, silly-billy!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6588 Mar 27, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Anti I found the names of those few peskys non religious types that have kept God out of school and government.

John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and George Washington
Brilliant!

And that's just the beginning of the list, too--**all** the signers of the Constitution were in favor of a GODLESS Constitution.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6589 Mar 27, 2014
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
I can picture Antiatheist making a cameo as a Gumby, up to the top of his Wellingtons in a stream, ranting on nonsensically.
LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6590 Mar 27, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
WHO is choosing to ignore the facts?
It doesn't matter at what the majority is. The constitution was amended to protect all faiths and to favor none. The crazy fringe groups are the ones who want their religion to dominate what people should think, do and say based on what is delivered by pulpit, soapbox and boardroom. You remind of a truism from the past:
"The Moral Majority is Neither."
BTW, you do realize that the ten commandments in the courthouses are not the ones that Moses brought down from the mountain, and that he ordered an indiscriminate massacre immediately afterward?
Nice.

"The Moral Majority is Neither".

I also like:

"The Religious Right Isn't"

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6591 Mar 27, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Attempting prolonged rational dialogue with religious folks is like rolling the argument, dead parrot and black knight sketches all into one.
"This is an EX-PARROT!"

"Come back here! It's only a flesh wound! I'll bite your kneecap!"

"Ni!"

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#6592 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
the world of the atheist revolves around God. Denying God, mocking God, mocking anyone that believes in God. You are obsessed with something you claim not to believe in. Its weird
Of course you will see that here--this is the place for it. But outside of forums like this, all of the atheists whom I know personally spin their "worlds" around almost anything OTHER than God or religion. Beer, sports, family, beer, work, Beer, and maybe a little wine or whiskey from time (say, 5 o'clock) to time (say, 5:05). Seriously, though, there are some of us who don't even drink, but you get the idea. Outside of forums like this, atheists lives are mostly indistinguishable from those of believers except that we don't bother with church on Sundays.

You really out to think before you write. Maybe even do a little research to see whether your assumptions are true. Go out into the real world and breath a little fresh air. Anything but sit at your computer for most of your waking hours putting out your ignorance lie dirty laundry for all to see.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6593 Mar 27, 2014
Electrical Engineer wrote:
First of all, not all atheists do what you say they do. Actually very few do that.
Secondly, god is mentioned in every public school that requires the Pledge of Allegiance to be said. It refers to "one god".
Lastly, once you stop generalizing atheists I'll stop generalizing Christians.
Trying to get a group of atheists to agree on one thing (apart from the single common denominator, no belief in gods) is like trying to get a gaggle of cats to choose the same dinner menu.

:D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6595 Mar 27, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you will see that here--this is the place for it. But outside of forums like this, all of the atheists whom I know personally spin their "worlds" around almost anything OTHER than God or religion. Beer, sports, family, beer, work, Beer, and maybe a little wine or whiskey from time (say, 5 o'clock) to time (say, 5:05). Seriously, though, there are some of us who don't even drink, but you get the idea. Outside of forums like this, atheists lives are mostly indistinguishable from those of believers except that we don't bother with church on Sundays.
You really out to think before you write. Maybe even do a little research to see whether your assumptions are true. Go out into the real world and breath a little fresh air. Anything but sit at your computer for most of your waking hours putting out your ignorance lie dirty laundry for all to see.
Yep. You, as per your usual habits, explained it both concisely and accurately.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#6596 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Love how you ignore the facts. The majority of people in this country are Christians. I very small minority categorize themselves as atheists. These are facts so you are just going to have to deal with it.
Prayer at ballgames, ten commandment displays, etc. are exactly the types of things I hope you guys keep trying to do. It makes you look stupid and only strengthens the rest of us. It solidifies your position as a crazy, fringe group.
Religious statistics are difficult to pin down, especially in terms of the variance between self-identification and actual belief. The most recent poll that I know if is the Harris poll of 2013. It reported that 12% of the American public answers "No" when asked about belief if God and 8% answer that they are not sure, yet the Pew poll of 2007 found that only 1.6% self identify as atheists and 2.4% as agnostics. Both of the Pew percentages may have risen by 2013, but certainly not to the extent shown by questions about belief as opposed to self-identification. If we drop the latter in favor of the former, we find that nonbelievers comprise 26% of the American adult population, up from 18% in 2007.

That is a minority, but not a small one by any rational standard. And it appears to be growing rapidly.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6597 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Christians are forcing you to do something you don't want to.
TRUE, if you put Some in front of this statement. Especially women.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 min Thinking 40,364
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 min Into The Night 15,828
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 15 min Thinking 193
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 46 min ChristineM 3,747
News Why I quit atheism 1 hr Thinking 388
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 1 hr Thinking 4,629
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr emperorjohn 20,581
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 hr Eagle 12 255,937
More from around the web