'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

Jul 5, 2013 Full story: NewsOK.com 7,547

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Read more
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6552 Mar 27, 2014
don't think so. I'll put it in terms you can understand. Personally, I don't believe in UFO's. I think those that do are wanting to believe in something that isn't there. However, I really don't spend any time thinking about it. I don't start topics about it nor do I go out of my way to ridicule anyone. That would be very weird for me to do anything like that because its just not important to me. People can believe in anything they want. Now, atheists on the other hand, can't seem to do that. They obsess over God and Christians and just let it make them so angry. It makes absolutely no sense. Its become a religion to you and a powerful one at that.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#6553 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
don't think so. I'll put it in terms you can understand. Personally, I don't believe in UFO's. I think those that do are wanting to believe in something that isn't there. However, I really don't spend any time thinking about it. I don't start topics about it nor do I go out of my way to ridicule anyone. That would be very weird for me to do anything like that because its just not important to me. People can believe in anything they want. Now, atheists on the other hand, can't seem to do that. They obsess over God and Christians and just let it make them so angry. It makes absolutely no sense. Its become a religion to you and a powerful one at that.
If you want to believe in UFOs or bigfoots, I've got no issue with it - as long as you don't try to teach it as fact in public schools or push legislation based on those beliefs. I have no issue with donating to Christian charities - I do it much more and much more often than you might think. Do I care that you give those organizations credit and not me? Not at all. Charity is not about recognition.
You chose your own handle. If you find it unsettling that people point out errors in the religious' "thinking," perhaps that is all they ARE doing. I wouldn't obsess on it. Go, and sin no more.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6554 Mar 27, 2014
This whole nonsense about teaching it in public schools is total bs. I went to public schools, my wife went to public schools, everyone in my family went to public schools and not once was God or religion ever mentioned in class. You are just wrong about that. Now, was the belief that we evolved from an ape like ancestor taught? Yes it was even thought its not a proven fact. Christians are the ones that should be mad about that one.

Again, if you want to be an atheist then fine, more power to ya. To ridicule others and be angry about it is ridiculous. Dont wanna pray at a ball game? Fine, don't pray. Its a free country. Don't wanna see signs that have the word "God" on them? Look the other way. You guys just obsess over these things which in the end makes you look stupid.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6555 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
This whole nonsense about teaching it in public schools is total bs. I went to public schools, my wife went to public schools, everyone in my family went to public schools and not once was God or religion ever mentioned in class. You are just wrong about that. Now, was the belief that we evolved from an ape like ancestor taught? Yes it was even thought its not a proven fact. Christians are the ones that should be mad about that one.
Again, if you want to be an atheist then fine, more power to ya. To ridicule others and be angry about it is ridiculous. Dont wanna pray at a ball game? Fine, don't pray. Its a free country. Don't wanna see signs that have the word "God" on them? Look the other way. You guys just obsess over these things which in the end makes you look stupid.
I would prefer that you don't use yourself as a poster child for public schools. Public schools in Oklahoma have enough issues to deal with already.

Intolerant Christians (like you) are the reason why we don't have so called religion in public schools. My children's' schools still say God in The Pledge of Allegiance, and a minute of silence after it, in order to prevent people (like you) from raining down their Wraith Of God upon them.

HATE AND INTOLERANCE SHOULD NOT BE TAUGHT IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

I use the description, Christian to describe you, even though I believe It doesn't really apply to your issues for ranting.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6556 Mar 27, 2014
Actually, the majority of people would like to still have God included in school. Its a vocal minority such as yourself that keeps the majority from doing what is sane and good. Schools are afraid of some angry atheist bringing some idiotic lawsuit against them. Again, creationism isn't being taught in school and hasn't been for as long as I can remember so that over used atheist argument is dumb. As I said, Christians have rolled over for far too long and look where we are now. Schools are in worse shape now than ever

“See how you are?”

Earth

#6557 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Despite what apologists don't want to believe, we are members of the great ape family and there is ample evidence that we share common ancestry. That has nothing to do with faith.
There are those who want to place biblical creationism in science classrooms. You cannot help but be aware of that as well as the recurring controversies about prayer in schools.
Prayer at ballgames, crosses on water towers, ten commandments in courtrooms, etc... Those are purposeful acts. You would propose that ignoring them is an acceptable action, but it does not address who and what initiates the controversy and issues of constitutionality and propriety in the first place.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6558 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Actually, the majority of people would like to still have God included in school. Its a vocal minority such as yourself that keeps the majority from doing what is sane and good. Schools are afraid of some angry atheist bringing some idiotic lawsuit against them. Again, creationism isn't being taught in school and hasn't been for as long as I can remember so that over used atheist argument is dumb. As I said, Christians have rolled over for far too long and look where we are now. Schools are in worse shape now than ever
LOL! Your household doesn't count as a majority. But if I had something to do with keeping religion out of public schools than I'm glad they listened to me.

I am surprised to her you have a wife. I'll bet she isn't afraid of dying like you, because you have rolled over for far to long.

I'll bet this death row issue that Oklahoma is having is driving you crazy. I know how Christians (like you) are into killing.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#6559 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
You are just wrong about that. Now, was the belief that we evolved from an ape like ancestor taught? Yes it was even thought its not a proven fact.
We are apes.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6560 Mar 27, 2014
Love how you ignore the facts. The majority of people in this country are Christians. I very small minority categorize themselves as atheists. These are facts so you are just going to have to deal with it.

Prayer at ballgames, ten commandment displays, etc. are exactly the types of things I hope you guys keep trying to do. It makes you look stupid and only strengthens the rest of us. It solidifies your position as a crazy, fringe group.

Dallas, TX

#6561 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Anti I found the names of those few peskys non religious types that have kept God out of school and government.

John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and George Washington

Dallas, TX

#6562 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Love how you ignore the facts. The majority of people in this country are Christians. I very small minority categorize themselves as atheists. These are facts so you are just going to have to deal with it.
Prayer at ballgames, ten commandment displays, etc. are exactly the types of things I hope you guys keep trying to do. It makes you look stupid and only strengthens the rest of us. It solidifies your position as a crazy, fringe group.
argumentum ad populum
Amused

Lowell, MA

#6563 Mar 27, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
...cue Monty Python intro
I can picture Antiatheist making a cameo as a Gumby, up to the top of his Wellingtons in a stream, ranting on nonsensically.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#6564 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
WHO is choosing to ignore the facts?
It doesn't matter at what the majority is. The constitution was amended to protect all faiths and to favor none. The crazy fringe groups are the ones who want their religion to dominate what people should think, do and say based on what is delivered by pulpit, soapbox and boardroom. You remind of a truism from the past:
"The Moral Majority is Neither."
BTW, you do realize that the ten commandments in the courthouses are not the ones that Moses brought down from the mountain, and that he ordered an indiscriminate massacre immediately afterward?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#6565 Mar 27, 2014
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
I can picture Antiatheist making a cameo as a Gumby, up to the top of his Wellingtons in a stream, ranting on nonsensically.
Attempting prolonged rational dialogue with religious folks is like rolling the argument, dead parrot and black knight sketches all into one.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6566 Mar 27, 2014
Just face it, if you all had your way there would be no mention of God allowed. Period. Stop hiding behind your warped interpretation of what our forefathers wanted. Mentioning God in public, at a ball game, etc. does not endorse any religion. As I said, you guys just keep doing what you are doing. That way you will always be looked at as the fringe group that you are. Thanks
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6567 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
The numbers of Christians in this Country is VERY subjective.

I consider you NOT to be Christian, and I you feel the same about me. So how you are coming up with your data is a pseudoscience for sure.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6568 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
LOL! I don't have a problem with prayer at a ballgame.

Do you approve of the Ten Commandments at you State Capitol?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#6569 Mar 27, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Just face it, if you all had your way there would be no mention of God allowed. Period. Stop hiding behind your warped interpretation of what our forefathers wanted. Mentioning God in public, at a ball game, etc. does not endorse any religion. As I said, you guys just keep doing what you are doing. That way you will always be looked at as the fringe group that you are. Thanks
Each thing in its place. Nobody is demanding that you teach Buddhism in your church or evolution in catechism. >Who< is demanding that >Christian< prayers be announced through taxpayer maintained loudspeakers and why? It isn't the mainstream citizen - it is the fringe groups. Would you go for a priest giving the prayer in Latin? After all, Catholics are the single largest Christian denomination in the U.S., and indisputably the largest in the world.

You want to shout from the rooftops how pious and charitable you are as a Christian, but you seem to have never read Matt. 6. If you have, you don't give a crap what Jesus had to say about giving alms or praying in public.

“I'm out hunting”

Since: Jan 10

For your mind and soul

#6570 Mar 27, 2014
Agnostic wrote:
An 8-year-old Virginia girl has been taken out of her school after administrators complained she was acting too much like a boy.
WSET-TV reports that the grandparents of Sunnie Kahle received a letter from officials at Timberlake Christian School notifying them that their granddaughter would be refused enrollment next year if she didn't follow the school's "biblical standards" and change her appearance.
The letter reads in part, "We believe that unless Sunnie as well as her family clearly understand that God has made her female and her dress and behavior need to follow suit with her God-ordained identity, that TCS is not the best place for her future education."
An administrator from the school told WSET-TV the problem with Sunnie goes "far beyond her hair length" and that "things disturbed the classroom environment." The administrator said he could not be more specific because of confidentiality agreements. The school did not answer phone calls from FoxNews.com on Wednesday.
Sunnie's grandparents, Doris and Carroll Thompson, told the station they removed Sunnie from Timberlake Christian and enrolled her in a public elementary school after receiving the letter.
"How do you tell a child when she wants to wear pants a shirt, and go out and play in the mud and so forth, how do you tell her,'No you can't, you've got to wear a pink bow in your hair, and you've got to let your hair grow out long.' How do you do that?" Doris Thompson said.
The Thompsons say that despite having short hair, Sunnie identifies as a girl. The letter mentions that students have been confused about whether Sunnie is a boy or girl and notes that students can be refused enrollment over "alternative gender identity."
The Thompsons say they have no plans to re-enroll Sunnie at Timberlake Christian.
She may not realize it now...but this is the best thing that could happen to her....better education and being taken out of such a hostile atmosphere...
They say that after rainfall comes sunshine.
Her going to that school was the rainfall, she was being drenched with all forms of stupidity.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6571 Mar 27, 2014
well so what I couldn't care less about what you think. Save your breath

No I have absolutely no problem with the 10 comm. at the capitol and most people don't. The vote on it wouldn't even be close.

Christianity is part of the heritage of the US...not Buddhism. The problem with the US right now is we are losing our identity and standing for nothing. Everyone is afraid of getting sued so they cave in to the wackos. Its sad really

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min Dogen 18,029
News Confessions of a black atheist 3 min NotSoDivineMsM 43
News The Consequences of Atheism 3 hr Thinking 1,143
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Igor Trip 236,938
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 hr Eagle 12 6,458
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr ChristineM 1,875
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 16 hr Thinking 14,508
More from around the web