'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

Jul 5, 2013 Full story: NewsOK.com 7,541

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Full Story

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#6190 Mar 19, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Theology is not a science?
It is studied, discussed, theorized, debated and hypostasized. It is used to prove and disprove religious phenomena, and scientific experimentation is done to prove fact or fiction. Sounds like a science to me.
How does one study something which requires faith because there is no actual evidence to support it? What actual value does the study of a myth provide... other than insight into the people of the time in which those myths were written/imagined?
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6191 Mar 19, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Steven Hawking looks like an orangutan.
I'm beginning to think you a student of Sun Tzu, and are using his teachings to attack Christians.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6192 Mar 19, 2014
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>How does one study something which requires faith because there is no actual evidence to support it? What actual value does the study of a myth provide... other than insight into the people of the time in which those myths were written/imagined?
I guess the same reason someone would study, Relativistic Quantum Field Theory II. Because the class exists? I'm really not sure.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6193 Mar 19, 2014
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>How does one study something which requires faith because there is no actual evidence to support it? What actual value does the study of a myth provide... other than insight into the people of the time in which those myths were written/imagined?
know my kids would be paying for that class themselves, if it wasn't free.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#6194 Mar 19, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Correct. It doesn't employ the scientific method correctly.
<quoted text>
I completely disagree. It involves many sciences. Science is the study of the natural world.

Man is of nature. There is a science of man.-- Biology ( but many more)

Man can and will kill. There is a science for killing.-- Phycology ( and a few more)

War is the most effective way to kill.-- Military Science ( also an art)

What has caused more wars in World History? Religion -- Theology

If you don't believe me now, you can always go to a Christian SCIENCE Reading Room, and research it for yourself.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6195 Mar 19, 2014
did you just say Christian Science? One of the biggest cults there is?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#6196 Mar 19, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Steven Hawking looks like an orangutan.
But he doesn't act like a CINO.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6197 Mar 19, 2014
CINO? Must be another atheist term. I take it back, he actually looks like a 20 yr old English bulldog.
Thinking

Stockbridge, UK

#6198 Mar 19, 2014
Call theology what you will.

If it doesn't diligently obey the scientific method correctly it is not scientific.
So What wrote:
<quoted text>I completely disagree. It involves many sciences. Science is the study of the natural world.
Man is of nature. There is a science of man.-- Biology ( but many more)
Man can and will kill. There is a science for killing.-- Phycology ( and a few more)
War is the most effective way to kill.-- Military Science ( also an art)
What has caused more wars in World History? Religion -- Theology
If you don't believe me now, you can always go to a Christian SCIENCE Reading Room, and research it for yourself.
Thinking

Stockbridge, UK

#6199 Mar 19, 2014
The bible says it is OK for religitards like antiatheist to abuse the disabled.
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
But he doesn't act like a CINO.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#6200 Mar 19, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
CINO? Must be another atheist term. I take it back, he actually looks like a 20 yr old English bulldog.
CINO. Christian In Name Only.
If Jesus was to come back and didn't resemble that brown haired white European dude you've (supposedly) grown up adoring in paintings...

What is the topic again? Being charitable?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6201 Mar 19, 2014
Its actually so much fun making fun of you guys. You aren't used to it I can tell. All of the sudden you are an expert on what it means to be a Christian. This coming from someone that thinks Hitler was one.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#6202 Mar 19, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Its actually so much fun making fun of you guys. You aren't used to it I can tell. All of the sudden you are an expert on what it means to be a Christian. This coming from someone that thinks Hitler was one.
By the evidence of the thread posts, it seems that just about everybody here has a better handle on what a Christian is than you do. Not -saying- you're ignurunt and hateful, but it looks like your handle sums up just about all you've got to offer.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6203 Mar 19, 2014
forgive me but I don't put much weight on your view of what it means to be a Christian. You are all atheists.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#6204 Mar 19, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
forgive me but I don't put much weight on your view of what it means to be a Christian. You are all atheists.
I can't say as I blame you. From an atheistic point of view, the word "Christian" covers a very wide range of religious points of view--anyone who centers their belief on any interpretation of the New Testament, however bizarre, qualifies. But for you, the term signifies much more specific values, beliefs, and spiritual states of being. Atheists take anyone claiming to be a Christian at their word, but you require closer adherence to your own take on Christ's teachings.

Similarly, few atheists are likely to accept your definition of atheism. You probably have overly specific ideas about who atheists are and what they believe, but most of the atheists with whom I've had close intellectual contact have a much more general idea, i.e., anyone who one some level rejects religious teachings about any of the deities that people believe in. Some are skeptics, others as dogmatic as any true believer. As much as many of us would like to believe differently, atheism encompasses a huge range of belief, disbelief, or nonbelief, and not all of us are scholarly or even all that rational. That's why atheists can no more be united under the same banner than can the many who call themselves Christians.

My experience with Christians is that most think that only those who believe as they do are truly Christian--the whole "many are called but few are chosen" thing. Does that describe you as well? If so, what, in your view, separates the sheep from the goats?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#6205 Mar 19, 2014
Do you remember, by the way, that after your wrote:

"good grief..........being "religious" doesn't mean you are a Christian. Many nuts throughout time have been religious but that certainly doesn't mean they are Christians. Atheists are "religious" as are many other nutty groups of people.

"Have you ever heard of a sheep in wolves clothing? False prophets perhaps? David Koresh claimed to be a Christian as have many other evil people. For you to use them as examples of a Christian is idiotic at best and only shows desperation on your part."

I responded, "How do you define "religious" in this context?"

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#6206 Mar 20, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Many of us WERE Christians. We studied the gospel and lived the lifestyle. Many of us were better Christians than yourself. We know what its like to be a Christian.
You have never been an atheist so according to your own reasoning you shouldn't say another word about atheists because
"forgive me but I don't put much weight on your view of what it means "
Correct?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#6207 Mar 20, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Who are any of you to tell someone else how to raise their children?
A two edged question. Who are you to impose your brand of theology on others' children? What I said is that it is NOT alright to abuse the public trust or children. If you've got a problem with that, tell it to a cop.
antiatheist wrote:
So now Obama and every other president we have had is just lying about their belief in God? Ha........you guys are amazing. Your only defense is that if intelligent people believe in God then they must be lying.
That is not at all what I said. You either don't comprehend or you cannot be honest. A proclaimed atheist cannot "survive" the election process to hold the highest office. Whether every president >privately believed< in church doctrine or not is beside the point. Intelligence is not a barrier to believing in church doctrine. Intelligence does not equate to being rational. What did I reference is that statistically, the nation's lowest academic scores and the Bible belt are practically the same map.
antiatheist wrote:
The apolostles knew Jesus personally. They wrote about him after his death and resurection. So what? This is a reason to discount them simply because they didn't write about him when he was alive? That makes no sense.
We could go through the authorship of the NT gospel by gospel, but it would accomplish nothing. You have decided that just because a book has an apostle's name as the title, that apostle actually wrote or dictated his own book. That isn't how it worked.
antiatheist wrote:
chromium I'm not going to do the work for you. Many others wrote about Jesus so take the time to look them up. Why are atheists so lazy? Half of what you guys so it just totally made up. Tithing to be a member of a church? lol totally made up. Never heard that before in my life.
Millions of people have written "about" Jesus. That means nothing. I asked for any of your many first hand records and you've provided... nothing. Why can't you just be honest?
Over 40% of the leaders polled in the National Association of Evangelicals believes tithing is a biblical requirement. The LDS may not officially "require" a 10% tithe, but it is strenuously recommended. Ask Mitt.
Thinking

Banbury, UK

#6208 Mar 20, 2014
I know you think Hitler was a christian. So what?
antiatheist wrote:
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6209 Mar 20, 2014
Being a Christian means you have accepted Jesus as your savior. You accepted Jesus as your savior at one time Angel? If not, then you were not a Christian. If so, then you admit you once knew Jesus and now you say you no longer no Him. You make no sense

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min Eagle 12 233,089
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr geezerjock 23,259
$13.5m for jehovah’s witness sex victim 2 hr P_Smith 2
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 2 hr P_Smith 9
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 3 hr Reason Personified 16
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 5 hr woodtick57 2,612
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr Morse 1,455
More from around the web