'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“BAS in Electrical Engineering”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#6175 Mar 19, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Do you believe Black Holes exist?
Well we do have evidence of them being there so I don't have to believe they exist. We can see what they are doing.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6176 Mar 19, 2014
Electrical Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
Well we do have evidence of them being there so I don't have to believe they exist. We can see what they are doing.
And what do you think about Steven Hawking?

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#6177 Mar 19, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>No offense taken.
I'm not the only one "what-iffing". Sciences that are used to explain the creation of how the universe was created are only theories. No one has yet to disprove the universe wasn't created by God.
And I want to remind you that Theology is a science also, and I will admit that it can't be proven to be an exact science either, especially when the Bible is used to do so.
But math is a much different. It is exact, and many great math minds have crunched the numbers, and many have concluded that it is more probable that a supreme being is responsible for our existence, than just mere chance.
There is no reason to 'disprove' something for which there is no actual evidence.

Theology is not, in any way, a science. If you believe it is, feel free to explain how.

Do you believe that the term "theory" means the same thing when used in science as it does when commonly used by people in casual conversation?

Location hidden

#6178 Mar 19, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>And what do you think about Steven Hawking?
I honestly don't have a thought about him. The science community, particularly astronomy, seems to like him. I personally don't follow anything about him.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6179 Mar 19, 2014
I see you guys are still on here blowing smoke up each others butts
So What

Newalla, OK

#6180 Mar 19, 2014
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>There is no reason to 'disprove' something for which there is no actual evidence.
Theology is not, in any way, a science. If you believe it is, feel free to explain how.
Do you believe that the term "theory" means the same thing when used in science as it does when commonly used by people in casual conversation?
Theology is not a science?

It is studied, discussed, theorized, debated and hypostasized. It is used to prove and disprove religious phenomena, and scientific experimentation is done to prove fact or fiction. Sounds like a science to me.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#6181 Mar 19, 2014
So What wrote:
I think there's enough evidence to accept that Steven Hawking exists.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6182 Mar 19, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
I see you guys are still on here blowing smoke up each others butts
Well at least we aren't inspecting every potato chip for proof God exists, before we shove it our pie holes.

How do you spend your spare time by the way?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6183 Mar 19, 2014
Steven Hawking looks like an orangutan.

Location hidden

#6184 Mar 19, 2014
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Theology is not a science?
It is studied, discussed, theorized, debated and hypostasized. It is used to prove and disprove religious phenomena, and scientific experimentation is done to prove fact or fiction. Sounds like a science to me.
As someone who didn't fully grasp what the term theology was, I looked it up. According to this one source it says nothing about science or the method of science. It only points to devinity or christian terms.

Do with this what you will but this is what I found. I still have no thought on this particular point.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/theolo...
Thinking

Cupar, UK

#6185 Mar 19, 2014
UK HD TV schedules are different to the US.
Electrical Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
Why this Sunday? Episode 2 was last Sunday. You can watch it on Fox, of all places. Haha
Thinking

Cupar, UK

#6186 Mar 19, 2014
Sh!t footballer.
So What wrote:
Thinking

Cupar, UK

#6187 Mar 19, 2014
antiatheist spends all his time denying the existence of the reply icon.
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Well at least we aren't inspecting every potato chip for proof God exists, before we shove it our pie holes.
How do you spend your spare time by the way?
Thinking

Cupar, UK

#6188 Mar 19, 2014
Correct. It doesn't employ the scientific method correctly.
So What wrote:
So What

Newalla, OK

#6189 Mar 19, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Hawking just came out this month and said he doesn't believe Black Holes exist.

He has also said he doesn't believe God exists, but he can't prove it.

Many people will argue these issues for a long time, but until they can be proven or disproven they are just topics for debate.

But what amazes to me more than the debate itself, is that someone can take up a cause, and do more harm than good for that cause, but that involves a different science.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#6190 Mar 19, 2014
So What wrote:
How does one study something which requires faith because there is no actual evidence to support it? What actual value does the study of a myth provide... other than insight into the people of the time in which those myths were written/imagined?
So What

Newalla, OK

#6191 Mar 19, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
I'm beginning to think you a student of Sun Tzu, and are using his teachings to attack Christians.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6192 Mar 19, 2014
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>How does one study something which requires faith because there is no actual evidence to support it? What actual value does the study of a myth provide... other than insight into the people of the time in which those myths were written/imagined?
I guess the same reason someone would study, Relativistic Quantum Field Theory II. Because the class exists? I'm really not sure.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6193 Mar 19, 2014
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>How does one study something which requires faith because there is no actual evidence to support it? What actual value does the study of a myth provide... other than insight into the people of the time in which those myths were written/imagined?
know my kids would be paying for that class themselves, if it wasn't free.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6194 Mar 19, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Correct. It doesn't employ the scientific method correctly.
<quoted text>
I completely disagree. It involves many sciences. Science is the study of the natural world.

Man is of nature. There is a science of man.-- Biology ( but many more)

Man can and will kill. There is a science for killing.-- Phycology ( and a few more)

War is the most effective way to kill.-- Military Science ( also an art)

What has caused more wars in World History? Religion -- Theology

If you don't believe me now, you can always go to a Christian SCIENCE Reading Room, and research it for yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 min Eagle 12 11,810
Religion Down Suicide Up 7 min Reason Personified 103
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 10 min Eagle 12 4,268
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 11 min Eagle 12 19,821
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 min Eagle 12 254,993
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 18 min Eagle 12 29,604
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr ChristineM 3,517
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 1 hr ChristineM 50,980
More from around the web