'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

Jul 5, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NewsOK.com

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Comments
5,781 - 5,800 of 7,541 Comments Last updated May 29, 2014

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

antiatheist wrote:
ya you guys are taking it too far and it has become a belief system for you. There is no conclusive evidence that we came from an apelike ancestor. Scientist don't know how the universe began or what caused it. They "believe" they know but they don't. So yes, its a belief system and I have got to hand it to atheists for their profound faith. I don't think I could believe in something so outrageous.
Say what you will anti. It's a belief that no god exists. Why you think it's so important to point out that atheists don't believe in a god or deity, I will never understand. We don't. I do not believe in a god. I you think that a lack of a belief is a belief, lol, then please "believe" how you will, but the word games are so old....and no one would ever ask you to understand science and the things that make more sense, because you have made it perfectly clear that you will never do that already. So what is your point in being on this thread exactly????
Thinking

Stockbridge, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

There is no all powerful compassionate god because we have evidence of avoidable suffering.

There is no evidence for a creator.

When you die, you will be a transitional fossil.
antiatheist wrote:
chromium you are evidently living in your own little world. Your perceived superiority is a big part of your problem and I"m sure I can't be the first to have ever told you that. God created the universe and we didn't evolve from an ape like ancestor. There are no transitional fossils so you are just going to have to deal with it. My advice to you is to humble yourself a little bit and be open minded to other opinions. Millions of people disagree with you on this subject. Now quit reading atheists websites because they are ruining your life and its going to be too late for you one of these days.
So What

Choctaw, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
There is no all powerful compassionate god because we have evidence of avoidable suffering.
There is no evidence for a creator.
When you die, you will be a transitional fossil.
<quoted text>
Because we aren't mindless drowns doesn't prove there is no God.
Believers can counter that with; God created us to be free thinkers. In order to prove God doesn't exist three questions need to be answered.

1. Why are we here?

2. Where did we come from?

3. What is the proof?(theories are not proof)

With all the science we now have these questions have still not been answered. Perhaps you can be the first, but you need to keep in mind that finding the answers to these questions could prove God does exist.

Good Luck!

Thinking

Stockbridge, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

I don't need to prove god doesn't exist. It's not high on my list of priorities because I see no evidence for any god.

If a god does exist, it is not all powerful and compassionate, so why would anyone worship it unconditionally?
So What wrote:
<quoted text>Because we aren't mindless drowns doesn't prove there is no God.
Believers can counter that with; God created us to be free thinkers. In order to prove God doesn't exist three questions need to be answered.
1. Why are we here?
With all the science we now have these questions have still not been answered. Perhaps you can be the first, but you need to keep in mind that finding the answers to these questions could prove God does exist.
Good Luck!

“BAS in Electrical Engineering”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
I don't need to prove god doesn't exist. It's not high on my list of priorities because I see no evidence for any god.
If a god does exist, it is not all powerful and compassionate, so why would anyone worship it unconditionally?
<quoted text>
Besides, you don't immediately assume something is there without proof of it being there. That's an insane way to think about anything. You ask the question, is it there, then you proceed to try and find out. As science has done.

Religion is based on not knowing anything. It is based on faith which requires you to assume everything and know nothing.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

So What wrote:
<quoted text>Because we aren't mindless drowns doesn't prove there is no God.
1. Why are we here?
Good Luck!
The question "Why?" is endless. Why does there have to be a reason we are here? Why would Elohim create the species specifically for the purpose of worshiping Him? Why doesn't any other and every species on Earth bow before the temples, churches, mosques, cathedrals, shrines, etc.? You already know that you came from your parents, as per Pasteur's much touted "law of biogenesis." We are the "proof" that life emerged somewhere, somehow. There is no "proof" of Genesis. None. There isn't even any evidence of Genesis. There is evidence of the cradle of civilization, which predates the Pentateuch by tens of thousands of years. There is also the fossil record, which predates the Creation story by millions (billions) of years. There is the cosmic background radiation and redshift of the stars, which predates "In the beginning..." by many more billions of years. Perhaps there was an unimaginable 'sentience' that dictated the laws of physics "before" the expansion of the universe, but does that imply those natural laws were "created" expressly so that Cain could build Enoch or the Jews could defeat the Hittites or Jesus could rile the temple priests or the Madonna could appear on a toasted cheese sandwich? Silliness.
Thinking

Stockbridge, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

Exactly.

Dark Matter wasn't postulated for the hell of it. We have observed galaxies rotate more tightly than we had expected, now we're going to find out why. If we discover that Dark Matter isn't responsible for these results, we won't cry "blasphemy".
Electrical Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
Besides, you don't immediately assume something is there without proof of it being there. That's an insane way to think about anything. You ask the question, is it there, then you proceed to try and find out. As science has done.
Religion is based on not knowing anything. It is based on faith which requires you to assume everything and know nothing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Exactly.
Dark Matter wasn't postulated for the hell of it. We have observed galaxies rotate more tightly than we had expected, now we're going to find out why. If we discover that Dark Matter isn't responsible for these results, we won't cry "blasphemy".
<quoted text>
I agree, again. We assume there is a dark matter as computer simulations show that something is needed to make these galaxies spin like they are, something that we haven't found yet is forcing them to act that way. Once we find that something, we will us that something terms instead, assuming it will be different that is.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

antiatheist wrote:
There is no conclusive evidence that we came from an apelike ancestor.

chimps and humans 96% DNA comparison. We are apes. period. But we are related to EVERYTHING not just apes. We are made of the same chemicals as everything else. Water, rocks, air, trees ,animals etc. All made of the same chemicals, all related.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
chimps and humans 96% DNA comparison. We are apes. period. But we are related to EVERYTHING not just apes. We are made of the same chemicals as everything else. Water, rocks, air, trees ,animals etc. All made of the same chemicals, all related.
Also, every living thing shares an identical portion of DNA. Everything is connected in some way.

For reference I encourage everyone to watch that last episode of Cosmos. It was very information filled with things I didn't even realize.
So What

Choctaw, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't someone worship God because they at least believe God may exist? So how could unconditionally apply to worship?

Just because God doesn't control everything we do, doesn't mean he doesn't have feelings or show sympathy for us. I believe, because God doesn't control everything we do, proves he has compassion for us. If someone controlled everything you did, you wouldn't consider that person to be compassionate towards you, would you?

Unlike another Christian on this forum, I don't believe your evil or even ignorant because you question the existence of God. I believe God has gifted us with the power of free thinking, and because of that we, are able to entertain ourselves with this conversation.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

So What wrote:
<quoted text>Wouldn't someone worship God because they at least believe God may exist? So how could unconditionally apply to worship?
Just because God doesn't control everything we do, doesn't mean he doesn't have feelings or show sympathy for us. I believe, because God doesn't control everything we do, proves he has compassion for us. If someone controlled everything you did, you wouldn't consider that person to be compassionate towards you, would you?
Unlike another Christian on this forum, I don't believe your evil or even ignorant because you question the existence of God. I believe God has gifted us with the power of free thinking, and because of that we, are able to entertain ourselves with this conversation.
It is truly sad that more religious people are not like you though. We have those, that you see in this forum, that completely dismiss the people who don't believe in a deity. It is very unfortunate for some of the believers to be categorized into this group of extremists and I personally apologize for doing it as I have in the past.

I am glad you have an open mind however and that you don't berate someone based on their belief system or lack there of.
So What

Choctaw, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Exactly.
<quoted text>
How do you that DM isn't God's way of drawing the curtains on something he doesn't want us to see.

Maybe 27% of our universe is a big surprise that is being held back, for us to enjoy when we reach eternal life.
So What

Choctaw, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

<quoted text>
Also, every living thing shares an identical portion of DNA. Everything is connected in some way.
For reference I encourage everyone to watch that last episode of Cosmos. It was very information filled with things I didn't even realize.
Don't forget all the elements that are shared by all living things.

Sounds to me like everything (on Earth at least) came from the same kitchen.
So What

Choctaw, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

<quoted text>
It is truly sad that more religious people are not like you though. We have those, that you see in this forum, that completely dismiss the people who don't believe in a deity. It is very unfortunate for some of the believers to be categorized into this group of extremists and I personally apologize for doing it as I have in the past.
I am glad you have an open mind however and that you don't berate someone based on their belief system or lack there of.
I don't recall being offended, so if you don't mind, I will safe your apology for later in the very slight chance I am.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

So What wrote:
<quoted text>Don't forget all the elements that are shared by all living things.
Sounds to me like everything (on Earth at least) came from the same kitchen.
Indeed.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

So What wrote:
<quoted text>How do you that DM isn't God's way of drawing the curtains on something he doesn't want us to see.
Maybe 27% of our universe is a big surprise that is being held back, for us to enjoy when we reach eternal life.
How does "what-iffing" about a 'god' that has no evidence of existing bring anything useful to the table?

No offense intended... I have been reading your posts and find them to be interesting.... so unlike "anti (everything I don't come up with) atheist"
Thinking

Stockbridge, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Indeed. That single repeated piece of DNA makes it incredibly improbable that life on Earth has anything other than a single common ancestor.

I think you're referring to episode 2? I won't see that until this Sunday.
<quoted text>
Thinking

Stockbridge, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

I don't, but everything we have found out so far has turned out to be not magic.

If this furtive god you postulate wants to stop f**king around and show itself, I wouldn't pretend it didn't exist. I abide by the scientific method.
So What wrote:
<quoted text>How do you that DM isn't God's way of drawing the curtains on something he doesn't want us to see.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2014

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Indeed. That single repeated piece of DNA makes it incredibly improbable that life on Earth has anything other than a single common ancestor.
I think you're referring to episode 2? I won't see that until this Sunday.
<quoted text>
Why this Sunday? Episode 2 was last Sunday. You can watch it on Fox, of all places. Haha

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 2 hr Siro 76
If Christianity were true... 3 hr Thinking 121
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Thinking 225,513
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 3 hr Thinking 98
Richard Dawkins jumps yet another shark 3 hr Thinking 30
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 5 hr NightSerf 131
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 9 hr NightSerf 285
•••
•••