'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#6055 Mar 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
I'm not so close minded and one sided to think all atheists are murderers, etc.
BUT YOU JUST SAID...
antiatheist wrote:
Bob and Angel represent you guys pretty accurately. They both want those that don't agree with them to die

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#6056 Mar 17, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
I've never celebrated or rejoiced in the death of any human being, but I often celebrate the life that has been lived. I don't see how anyone can do that in the case of Fred Phelps. Back in Usenet days, he attacked me on the University of Virginia usegroup, which he had no right to access in the first place, and even went so far as to send me abusive emails as well. He then threatened me with lawsuits when I posted portions of those emails back to the group. Still, I was surprised when he began to picket funerals with his church. It's hard to understand how anyone could do that to families in times of grief that should be private. I know of nothing in this man's life that is worth celebrating.

But I will not picket his funeral. I hope no one does. His family deserves the privacy that he denied others. He deserves the obscurity of a poorly unattended funeral.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#6057 Mar 17, 2014
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#6058 Mar 17, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never celebrated or rejoiced in the death of any human being, but I often celebrate the life that has been lived. I don't see how anyone can do that in the case of Fred Phelps. Back in Usenet days, he attacked me on the University of Virginia usegroup, which he had no right to access in the first place, and even went so far as to send me abusive emails as well. He then threatened me with lawsuits when I posted portions of those emails back to the group. Still, I was surprised when he began to picket funerals with his church. It's hard to understand how anyone could do that to families in times of grief that should be private. I know of nothing in this man's life that is worth celebrating.
But I will not picket his funeral. I hope no one does. His family deserves the privacy that he denied others. He deserves the obscurity of a poorly unattended funeral.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that, N.

Some people are just crazy.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6059 Mar 17, 2014
Angel do you also wish the same for Richard Dawkins? Have you ever heard him talk about Christians? He is equally an evil person. The world would be better without those types of people but I certainly don't wish anyone dead as you do.
Thinking

Cupar, UK

#6060 Mar 17, 2014
No one should mess up anyone's funeral, but a rainbow flag placed on his grave every week until people get bored of Phelps would be quite sweet.
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never celebrated or rejoiced in the death of any human being, but I often celebrate the life that has been lived. I don't see how anyone can do that in the case of Fred Phelps. Back in Usenet days, he attacked me on the University of Virginia usegroup, which he had no right to access in the first place, and even went so far as to send me abusive emails as well. He then threatened me with lawsuits when I posted portions of those emails back to the group. Still, I was surprised when he began to picket funerals with his church. It's hard to understand how anyone could do that to families in times of grief that should be private. I know of nothing in this man's life that is worth celebrating.
But I will not picket his funeral. I hope no one does. His family deserves the privacy that he denied others. He deserves the obscurity of a poorly unattended funeral.
Thinking

Cupar, UK

#6061 Mar 17, 2014
Sources? Dawkins has many close christian friends.
antiatheist wrote:
Angel do you also wish the same for Richard Dawkins? Have you ever heard him talk about Christians? He is equally an evil person. The world would be better without those types of people but I certainly don't wish anyone dead as you do.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6062 Mar 17, 2014
rainbow flag? Should we place the Christian flag on Dawkins grave? Dawkins is every bit as disgusting. On a side note, I don't know of any Christians that support the person you are speaking of. There are crazies on both sides although I highly doubt you will admit it.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#6063 Mar 17, 2014
I can't speak for Thinking, but I am certain that crazies gravitate to every ideology conceivable. Some of the smaller subsets like the Westboro Baptist Church consist almost entirely of the kinds of extremists that keep Homeland Security professionals up at night. But most of us, Christian, Muslim, Bhuddist, or Jain, live ordinary lives and have normal values. Atheists and other nonbelievers, too.

Dawkins grave? He's only 72 and, as far as I know, in good health. Do you know something the rest of us don't?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6064 Mar 17, 2014
Well the Westboro minister isn't dead either.

As for the rest of your comments, I totally agree. What I object to is an atheist using someone like Phelps to represent Christianity. I've been a Christian for years and I've never heard anyone call Phelps anything but crazy. A person can call themselves whatever they want but it doesn't make it so. I've even heard people on here refer to Hitler as a Christian. Just shows how desperate some people are to attack Christians any way they possibly can.
Thinking

Cupar, UK

#6065 Mar 17, 2014
Hitler was the catholic leader of a majority protestant Germany.

The whole country was pretty representative of the whole country!

christards don't like this fact.
antiatheist wrote:
Well the Westboro minister isn't dead either.
As for the rest of your comments, I totally agree. What I object to is an atheist using someone like Phelps to represent Christianity. I've been a Christian for years and I've never heard anyone call Phelps anything but crazy. A person can call themselves whatever they want but it doesn't make it so. I've even heard people on here refer to Hitler as a Christian. Just shows how desperate some people are to attack Christians any way they possibly can.
Thinking

Cupar, UK

#6066 Mar 17, 2014
Dawkins is still good friends with the previous archbishop of Canterbury. I just don't see the animosity in Dawkins that I see in antiatheist's posts.
NightSerf wrote:
I can't speak for Thinking, but I am certain that crazies gravitate to every ideology conceivable. Some of the smaller subsets like the Westboro Baptist Church consist almost entirely of the kinds of extremists that keep Homeland Security professionals up at night. But most of us, Christian, Muslim, Bhuddist, or Jain, live ordinary lives and have normal values. Atheists and other nonbelievers, too.
Dawkins grave? He's only 72 and, as far as I know, in good health. Do you know something the rest of us don't?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#6067 Mar 17, 2014
you don't see the animosity? Wow you are even blinder than I thought. You also believe Hitler was a Christian. Need a say more
So What

Newalla, OK

#6068 Mar 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Bob is a great representative for the atheist religion
I find this analogy to be strange.

I didn't think atheists were religious, but I'm open to being educated on the subject in the hopes of figuring out why some Christians feel hating them is part of their duty to God.
So What

Newalla, OK

#6069 Mar 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
you don't see the animosity? Wow you are even blinder than I thought. You also believe Hitler was a Christian. Need a say more
What religion was Hitler affiliated with if is wasn't a Christian?

Was he Jewish?

You most certainly have my attention now! Again, please teach me.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6070 Mar 17, 2014
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Paranoid, Blob? Who is this Siro? I see that you've been iconing other threads. You need to take your meds.
Siro, rio, whatever you call yourself these days.

Your use of the attempted insult "blob" gives you away, you see.

As does your pathetic attempt to reverse my software's efforts.

Did it take you ALL NIGHT to click THOUSANDS of times to reverse even one of my posts?

LMAO!

That is so funny it's hilarious -- I do enjoy making you waste your time..

LMAO!

“BAS in Electrical Engineering”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#6071 Mar 17, 2014
Hitler was a Christian. You clearly don't know what WWII was about...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6072 Mar 17, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Bob and Angel represent you guys pretty accurately. They both want those that don't agree with them to die. Angel picks out extreme individuals and claims they are Christians. I could do the exact same things with atheists could I not? Difference is, I'm not so close minded and one sided to think all atheists are murderers, etc. Shows how desperate she has become.
Nope.

I do not wish ANYONE to die-- not even your Best Representative of Genuine Christianity¬ô, the Fred Phelps-- I do not wish him dead.

This is in DIRECT contrast to YOU-- you who worships a god who would TORTURE ME FOREVER.

That is truly sick.

But that's how you roll, isn't it?

You are JUST LIKE Fred Phelps-- the ONLY difference, is Phelps is more honest about his inner feelings than you are...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6073 Mar 17, 2014
Electrical Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
Saw an article on this. They are still evaluating the observation but it appears to be accurate data. A great find this is though. It gets us that much closer to what kicked off the bang.
It is most interesting-- the god of the gaps has to squeeze even smaller...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6074 Mar 17, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Fred Phelps is a truly evil person. I dont wish eternal suffering, death or damnation on anyone. However, it will be a better world without his brand of hate.
Yes, the world will be slightly improved by his passing.

But I would not wish even such as he, dead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 32 min Regolith Based Li... 67,289
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Subduction Zone 28,677
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 4 hr Dogen 3,537
is it ever right to hate Christians as a group? Tue superwilly 21
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Tue superwilly 462
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Apr 22 IB DaMann 5,975
News Unholy? Atheists should embrace the science of ... Apr 20 Eagle 12 9
More from around the web