'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5890 Mar 5, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
wow thats quite a cut and paste job there hill. Unfortunately for you, I really don't put nearly as much weight on what Tom McFarlane as you do.
Wert you are absolutely right. The atheists would pee their pants if they thought someone was actually praying in school.
Pretty sure I referenced the source and quotation marked the "cut and paste job". I'm pretty sure there's no harm, no foul doing that to illustrate a point. I don't even know who Tom McFarlane is ... but his 'answer' might pop up if you Google "the meaning of Truth". Of course, you wouldn't Google any such thing since you TRULY BELIEVE you know the answer ... just like so many billions of other people.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5891 Mar 5, 2014
hill the more you talk the more apparent it becomes that you are just another wacko. I can't be the only person ever to tell you this.
LMS

United States

#5892 Mar 5, 2014
I believe whole-heartedly in God and His word. But I can not judge, hate, and etc. those who don't. To be honest, there was a period in my life when I did not believe. Yes, I considered myself an atheist. Then things happened to where I was able to see that, though I walked away, He had not and never will. The truth is, nobody can force Another to believe in God. One of the reasons why is because of the fact that we all have our own views, studies, and etc. And since we have our own thoughts, opinions, and individual knowledges... Each one of us has a mindset that our way is the right way. None of us wants to be wrong and puffs up when someone's views are not the same. In all actuality, if a person is good... That is does not steal, lie, cheat, kill, etc., then that is all that should matter. If we could gain the mentality of the fact that if we are able to listen and learn about different views, that is share thoughts and work around them, and understand one another... Without expecting the other to give up beliefs or for one to believe in something... Then we could focus on our communities, states, country, and etc. I could just go on and on, but if I acted on all my thoughts... I would just keep rambling, lol. And there would be etceteras galore. Peace

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#5893 Mar 5, 2014
Insults always prevail when a smart, honest response isn't in sight.

Texas, USA

#5894 Mar 5, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
hill the more you talk the more apparent it becomes that you are just another wacko. I can't be the only person ever to tell you this.
Well ... I think you might be the first. Congratulations, I guess.

Texas, USA

#5895 Mar 5, 2014
LMS wrote:
I believe whole-heartedly in God and His word. But I can not judge, hate, and etc. those who don't. To be honest, there was a period in my life when I did not believe. Yes, I considered myself an atheist. Then things happened to where I was able to see that, though I walked away, He had not and never will. The truth is, nobody can force Another to believe in God. One of the reasons why is because of the fact that we all have our own views, studies, and etc. And since we have our own thoughts, opinions, and individual knowledges... Each one of us has a mindset that our way is the right way. None of us wants to be wrong and puffs up when someone's views are not the same. In all actuality, if a person is good... That is does not steal, lie, cheat, kill, etc., then that is all that should matter. If we could gain the mentality of the fact that if we are able to listen and learn about different views, that is share thoughts and work around them, and understand one another... Without expecting the other to give up beliefs or for one to believe in something... Then we could focus on our communities, states, country, and etc. I could just go on and on, but if I acted on all my thoughts... I would just keep rambling, lol. And there would be etceteras galore. Peace
That's certainly reasonable enuff LMS! You seem a calm and thoughtful person. We are social animals and as such have some obligation not to lie, cheat, steal, kill, etc. from our families or our neighbors. Society would certainly crumble without following these basic rules no matter if your inspiration or motivation comes from religion, logic or just being Human. These message boards do give us a place to speak our minds while being out of arms reach of the less even tempered. I've certainly learned a lot on Topix, changed a few of my attitudes and generally try not to take it all too seriously.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#5896 Mar 6, 2014
Why?
antiatheist wrote:
wow thats quite a cut and paste job there hill. Unfortunately for you, I really don't put nearly as much weight on what Tom McFarlane as you do.
Wert you are absolutely right. The atheists would pee their pants if they thought someone was actually praying in school.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#5897 Mar 6, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Honestly it just keeps popping up on my screen so its hard to resist. I could ask you the same question Angel. Why do you spend so much time talking about a God you supposedly don't believe in? Its weird. You don't see me starting a thread called "good without aliens" because I don't believe in aliens. I know you secretly believe in God just like all men do.
It just pops up on your screen and you can help but respond?
Where to begin.

you post more than anyone else on here. 10, 15, 20 plus times a day sometimes.Late nights, weekends and holidays.Also most you posts are "responses" to topics that were had nothing to do with you in the first place. I dont recall anyone ever saying "hey Anti, whats your opinion on this subject?" Most of the time you are just butting in, acting childish, statring $hit, name calling and then acting offended when someone calls you out on it.
I have a 16 year old cousin that acts the same way.
L Wert

United States

#5898 Mar 6, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
It just pops up on your screen and you can help but respond?
Where to begin.
you post more than anyone else on here. 10, 15, 20 plus times a day sometimes.Late nights, weekends and holidays.Also most you posts are "responses" to topics that were had nothing to do with you in the first place. I dont recall anyone ever saying "hey Anti, whats your opinion on this subject?" Most of the time you are just butting in, acting childish, statring $hit, name calling and then acting offended when someone calls you out on it.
I have a 16 year old cousin that acts the same way.
If we eliminated abortion and gay rights, put racial minorities back in their place, stopped helping the poor and put Republican studs like Ernest Istook back into office, we could grow the economy.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5899 Mar 6, 2014
there you go cussing again angel. Very immature

Dallas, TX

#5900 Mar 6, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
So you agree with me.
The "cussing" lol was the only part of my statement you have a problem with?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5901 Mar 6, 2014
Angel if thats what you have to think to make yourself feel better then go ahead.

Dallas, TX

#5902 Mar 6, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Angel if thats what you have to think to make yourself feel better then go ahead.
I assure you that's not what I have to do to feel good about myself.

I am very happy as is. You see, I'm an atheist.

I have no religion in my life to drag me down, lie to me and demand my continued admoration while being told I am perpetually in the wrong for being "born into sin". That no matter what I do I deserve an eternity of intense torture because I was born?

I don't have that kind of nonsense in my life.
Therfore, I feel wonderful.
L Wert

United States

#5903 Mar 6, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
I assure you that's not what I have to do to feel good about myself.
I am very happy as is. You see, I'm an atheist.
I have no religion in my life to drag me down, lie to me and demand my continued admoration while being told I am perpetually in the wrong for being "born into sin". That no matter what I do I deserve an eternity of intense torture because I was born?
I don't have that kind of nonsense in my life.
Therfore, I feel wonderful.
Take the time you don't spend in church and use it to learn to spell.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5904 Mar 6, 2014
ha........good one wert.

Anyone else see the irony that atheists say they are so happy yet just about everyone I've ever seen is angry about something?

Location hidden

#5905 Mar 6, 2014
Most atheists I've ever met are generally just as happy as everyone else. I don't think I've ever met anyone who had nothing that made them angry.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5906 Mar 6, 2014
the term "angry atheist" has a lot of merit.

Location hidden

#5907 Mar 6, 2014
The term "extremist" has a lot of merit. Atheists, believers, political parties, all hold extremists in their groups.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#5908 Mar 7, 2014
Calling you a ***t all day would not make you any less incorrect.
antiatheist wrote:

Texas, USA

#5909 Mar 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
the term "angry atheist" has a lot of merit.
Yeah, if you need to prop your misconceptions! Which, apparently, you do. It's true that knowing this life is all we get tends to make us try to enjoy it to the fullest. Why agitating and poking sticks through the bars of the Bot Brain Prison is so much fun, I'll never know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 23 min Science 61,764
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 1 hr yehoshooah adam 2,769
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 4 hr Eagle 12 99
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 14 hr Eagle 12 5,972
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Tue Regolith Based Li... 28,326
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Mar 22 Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
More from around the web