'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5839 Mar 4, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
bob you believe this universe and mankind came as a complete accident and arose from nothing. Care to tell me how thats not a fairytale?
Fairy Tale <courtesy Merriam-Webster On-line>
1 a : a story (as for children) involving fantastic forces and beings (as fairies, wizards, and goblins)¬ócalled also fairy story
b : a story in which improbable events lead to a happy ending
2: a made-up story usually designed to mislead

Sound familiar?

Science <courtesy of Wikipedia>

Science (from Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge"[1]) is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe.[2][3] In an older and closely related meaning, "science" also refers to a body of knowledge itself, of the type that can be rationally explained and reliably applied.

Hint

God did it = Fairy Tale
Big Bang / Evolution = Science

Texas, USA

#5840 Mar 4, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
How did evolution begin Bob. How did something get here in the first place to evolve.
It always comes to this and it is, BTW, the source of much of the Atheist's derision.

"Explain a science that took hundreds of years and lifetimes of careful study to formulate to me in a Topix post Bob!"

"Hey Bob, I know nobody was around 4.5 billion years ago, but explain to me how did something get here in the first place?"

Here's a little light reading ...

" http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/... ;

Enjoy!

Texas, USA

#5841 Mar 4, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
How did evolution begin Bob. How did something get here in the first place to evolve.
Oh, that was too easy? Here's over 8000 articles on "Evolutionary Biology" from the excellent science site PLOS ONE ...

" http://www.plosone.org/browse/evolutionary_bi... ;

and if that doesn't make your head explode, here's a nice article on the origin of the Universe from the same source. Note that there is over 240 Astronomy articles available for your enjoyment.

" http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F1... ;

Until you've chewed on some real science, Bob would just be trying to explain color to a blind man.

Get some background, you've no foundation upon which to even build an argument or formulate a rational GUESS!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5842 Mar 4, 2014
The problem Hill is that you only see one side of the argument. You come at the whole thing with your mind already made up and you can no doubt find many atheists scientist to quote. The problem you guys are always going to have is that you can't explain how things just happened. You go back far enough and something had to have been created. You can't replicate this in a science lab. How did air get here?? What about atoms? How did living matter arise from dead? You can hypothesize all you want but nobody really knows. You have great faith my friend if you believe in such things. I would say the odds are about 1 gazillion to 1 of that ever being able to happen. In other words, it didn't.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Texas, USA

#5843 Mar 4, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
The problem Hill is that you only see one side of the argument. You come at the whole thing with your mind already made up and you can no doubt find many atheists scientist to quote. The problem you guys are always going to have is that you can't explain how things just happened. You go back far enough and something had to have been created. You can't replicate this in a science lab. How did air get here?? What about atoms? How did living matter arise from dead? You can hypothesize all you want but nobody really knows. You have great faith my friend if you believe in such things. I would say the odds are about 1 gazillion to 1 of that ever being able to happen. In other words, it didn't.
I was raised Southern Baptist. Believe me, I've seen both sides. Maybe reading is not your thing. Ever tried "TED Talks"? Here you find practitioners of various scientific, engineering, artistic disciplines talking their stuff up front and personal. Their enthusiasm and wonder at what they do comes out in ways that just don't get translated from the printed word. They're not liars, buffoons or con-artists. Look here:

" http://www.ted.com/talks/browse" ;

Here I got a few questions for you!

How far away (in time) from a 'creation event' do you have to be for it's details to become irrelevant?

If there is 100,000,000,000 galaxies with 100,000,000,000 stars ... how many 'one in a gazillion' things are happening all the time?

How did "air get here"? Atoms? Do you accept any scientific explanations for ANYTHING?

My point of all this is that there is a huge volume of accessible, understandable, free information regarding the true nature of reality that can not be revoked, refuted, ridiculed or other-wise dismissed by pamphlets, religious tracts, Sunday School teachers or Preacher men. It boils down to the fact that those people are telling you what YOU want to hear, reality be damned. If 'honesty' is of any value to you at all, I would think you would want to know the truth of things.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5844 Mar 4, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
I already said, you can't-read-godbot: I do not know.

Nobody knows.

**especially** you ignorant f88cks who claim "goddidit".

There are several competing hypothesis, but no real thesis as yet.

It doesn't matter anyhow-- we *are* here.

And just as clear? Your god is not-- god-preventable **evil** in the world proves beyond a doubt that your god is not here (if he ever was--doubtful).

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5845 Mar 4, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
We don't know is honest.

Goddidit is a flat lie.

I see you prefer the lie to honesty.

Sad.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5850 Mar 4, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to see you concede, Bob doesn't know chit!!'
I don't know what you just said, godobot.

Were you attempting to speak in tongues again?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5851 Mar 4, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
False accusations are your thing, go with it snack shack. Doesn't make you right.
More speaking in tongues?

You ought to go see a doctor about your delusions.

Texas, USA

#5852 Mar 4, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
Not one of the articles agree with your delusions.
Do you think your argument is rational and scientific?
They are 8000+ examples of how science works and why it works. My "delusions" have nothing to do with it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5853 Mar 4, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, here it is in a nut shell... Wait for it,
You make demands like a typical godbot-- you expect magical wish-fulfillment.
Classic: you pray instead of actually **doing** something useful.
What the eff?

You quote me-- as if you had no clue what English means.

Or are you just hallucinating again?

Perhaps you should quit hitting your bong so much-- you're loosing oxygen, here.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5854 Mar 4, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
Not one of the articles agree with your delusions.
Do you think your argument is rational and scientific?
You did not click on ANY of the links-- did you?

You have already demonstrated that you are just a moocher, a leech, and you have zero knowledge about anything scientific.

No-- you did not click on the links, because you KNOW they would make your brain hurt.

Can't have that, can you?

Go hit your bong again.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#5860 Mar 5, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
The problem for you is that we don't have every answer that you want, but we don't spat off with "god created everything" as an answer.

Science has already given you the facts that they have and you ignore those, so bringing any more answers to the table will make no difference to you.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#5861 Mar 5, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
It's so funny that you have no concept of what science has already found, but yet you continue to have "faith" that a man rose from the dead due to a god saying so. My "faith" in science may be amazing to you, but your faith in the impossible amazes me and others as well.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#5862 Mar 5, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Only a small proportion of the scientists who promote the Big Bang and the Theory of Evolution are actually atheists. Many more adhere to one of the major religions or believe in a universal spirit. Because they ARE scientists, though, they engage in study and research with their minds free from the fetters of ancient texts written by men who knew little or nothing of science and therefore satisfied their need to understand their lives and environs by other means.

Your insistence that everything must be replicated in the lab shows how little you know about how science works--less even than I do. You would do well to learn more about science before spouting off about it, much less trying to refute it. Your current approach makes you look like an idiot.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5863 Mar 5, 2014
oh really? Most scientists are actually believers? Please show me where you got this from because I'm not buying it.

If you were actually honest and open minded you would see that much of what has been discovered supports the idea of creation. I assume you can you google so try looking it up sometime. There is simply too much to post here in a paragraph or two.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#5864 Mar 5, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a small proportion of the scientists who promote the Big Bang and the Theory of Evolution are actually atheists. Many more adhere to one of the major religions or believe in a universal spirit. Because they ARE scientists, though, they engage in study and research with their minds free from the fetters of ancient texts written by men who knew little or nothing of science and therefore satisfied their need to understand their lives and environs by other means.
Your insistence that everything must be replicated in the lab shows how little you know about how science works--less even than I do. You would do well to learn more about science before spouting off about it, much less trying to refute it. Your current approach makes you look like an idiot.
I know from personal experience that a lot of highly educated scientists are also believers. I didn't quite understand why, but to each his own. I had a biology teacher who was a devout believer. He even admitted that science and religion take different paths and that was something he just accepted because of his faith. He basically saw it as a test.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5865 Mar 5, 2014
sure........your "personal experiences" are highly questionable.

33% of scientists believe in God. 83% of the public believes in God. The majority of the rest of them believe in a "higher power" whatever that is. A whopping 4% of the public doesn't believe in either. You guys would fall into this fringe group.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#5866 Mar 5, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
sure........your "personal experiences" are highly questionable.
33% of scientists believe in God. 83% of the public believes in God. The majority of the rest of them believe in a "higher power" whatever that is. A whopping 4% of the public doesn't believe in either. You guys would fall into this fringe group.
using your own numbers,
4% of the population of America would be a "fringe group" of over twelve million people.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5867 Mar 5, 2014
you do realize how many people are in the US correct? Trust me, its a fringe group at best. There are probably more people that believe in Aliens than there are atheists.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 3 min Issac 734
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 27 min Dogen 4,309
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 38 min Science 76,923
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr superwilly 258,476
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr The FACTory 32,166
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... Sat Ben Avraham 11
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Jul 18 John 4,952
More from around the web