'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5775 Feb 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
rhill thinks billions of people live in ignorance. That pretty much sums up an atheist.
Here's how it works. If I'm wrong, show me. Just coming up with another generality is kind of boring.

Texas, USA

#5776 Feb 28, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm living the successful dream life.
Hallucinogens are for failures.
Hope you find what you need.
Let's recap:

"Dream" lives are for the successful.

Mountains are good places to go for self induced dreams (waking dreams might be called a hallucination, might it not?) and to do what? Chat with God?

The World must sort of drift in and out of focus for you.

My Uncle Albert had this to say about success:

"It's all relative!"

Texas, USA

#5777 Feb 28, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm living the successful dream life.
Hope you find what you need.
Oh, BTW ... here's a good book every thumper should read:

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sacred_Mushr... ;

well, a link to a description of a good book every thumper should read anyway. Do y'all mind being called "thumpers"? You really shouldn't equate "hallucinogens" with "failure" as there is some evidence that hallucinogenic mushrooms may have played a contributory roll in the formation of your particular mythology.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#5778 Mar 1, 2014
If we discard the term "atheist" and replace it with "nonbeliever," those numbers go way up. A Harris poll published last December showed that belief in God had fallen from 82% to 76% in just over four years, indicated that the nonbelieving subpopulation rose from 18% to 24% in that time. tat means that the number of nonbelievers is substantially greater than that of the unaffiliated.

And way to big to be thought of as a fringe group.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Texas, USA

#5779 Mar 1, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter if you did convince them it wouldn't matter. You know as well as I why they reject accountability.
Given the fact that Earth will one day be engulfed by our dying Sun and that the planet along with everything on-board will be reduced to their component atoms does make it all seem rather pointless. There might be an accounting when the roll is called up yonder! But ... probably not. Meanwhile, this seems a harmless enough pursuit while we wait.

Texas, USA

#5780 Mar 1, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
If we discard the term "atheist" and replace it with "nonbeliever," those numbers go way up. A Harris poll published last December showed that belief in God had fallen from 82% to 76% in just over four years, indicated that the nonbelieving subpopulation rose from 18% to 24% in that time. tat means that the number of nonbelievers is substantially greater than that of the unaffiliated.
And way to big to be thought of as a fringe group.
Thank you, NightSerf! I think I shall henceforward call myself a "nonbeliever". Atheist is an ugly word.

Texas, USA

#5781 Mar 1, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
rhill thinks billions of people live in ignorance. That pretty much sums up an atheist.
Furthermore, it's fairly well documented that 1% of the World's population hold most of the cards, the other 99%... not so much. Do you think the 1%'ers gather and chat about how SMART we all are?

It's actually not as bad as I thought. A little research revealed that less than 15% of Earth's population are illiterate. The percentage that are 'ignorant' is a little harder to pin down. It is "anybody's guess" you might say. My guess is that the percentage of ignorance roughly conforms to the percentage of Sky Fairy worshipers. They number in the billions as you, yourself, has said.

Please don't fall into the schoolyard fault of confusing ignorance and stupidity. All Humans are born empty little gourds waiting to be filled up with something. I see us all possessing roughly the same potential. Unfortunately, much of that potential is wasted as parents, churches, schools and governments rush to fill us up with huge volumes of what can often be described as pure rubbish. Of course, some of the it is cleverly designed to keep us in our places ... industrious little "cheek turning" worker-bee's who render unto Caesar, consume mass quantities of goods and who are willing to sacrifice themselves if called to arms. Keeps the ol' wheels turning if you know what I mean.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5782 Mar 1, 2014
Hill I really hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but you simply aren't nearly as smart and informed as you would like to think. There, I would say, millions upon millions that out score you on the IQ exam. Many of those same people believe in God. The main difference between believers and nonbelievers is we don't obsess about you guys. You can believe whatever you want.. Atheists, on the other hand, get angry and have a major chip on their shoulders. Thus all the silly Christmas campaigns and billboards. Sad really

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Texas, USA

#5783 Mar 1, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Hill I really hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but you simply aren't nearly as smart and informed as you would like to think. There, I would say, millions upon millions that out score you on the IQ exam. Many of those same people believe in God. The main difference between believers and nonbelievers is we don't obsess about you guys. You can believe whatever you want.. Atheists, on the other hand, get angry and have a major chip on their shoulders. Thus all the silly Christmas campaigns and billboards. Sad really
I'm sure it really 'ground yer gears' to have to tell me that! LOL
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5784 Mar 1, 2014
sounds like someone should have told you this years ago. Probably already convinced yourself by now

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#5785 Mar 1, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Lmao...yeah cause we all have a chip on our shoulders cause we don't agree with you and religious followers. Yet you obsessively come on this site to call out people who disagree with you. ;-). I think that's a chip on your shoulder darlin. As I've said before, you aren't special. You wanna argue just like the next guy.

Knoxville, TN

#5786 Mar 1, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Furthermore, it's fairly well documented that 1% of the World's population hold most of the cards, the other 99%... not so much. Do you think the 1%'ers gather and chat about how SMART we all are?
It's actually not as bad as I thought. A little research revealed that less than 15% of Earth's population are illiterate. The percentage that are 'ignorant' is a little harder to pin down. It is "anybody's guess" you might say. My guess is that the percentage of ignorance roughly conforms to the percentage of Sky Fairy worshipers. They number in the billions as you, yourself, has said.
Please don't fall into the schoolyard fault of confusing ignorance and stupidity. All Humans are born empty little gourds waiting to be filled up with something. I see us all possessing roughly the same potential. Unfortunately, much of that potential is wasted as parents, churches, schools and governments rush to fill us up with huge volumes of what can often be described as pure rubbish. Of course, some of the it is cleverly designed to keep us in our places ... industrious little "cheek turning" worker-bee's who render unto Caesar, consume mass quantities of goods and who are willing to sacrifice themselves if called to arms. Keeps the ol' wheels turning if you know what I mean.
Defining "ignorance" is no easy task. I my limited experience, most people have areas of real expertise and a broad base of general knowledge balanced by even greater areas of ignorance and a huge collection of misconceptions. Do we define Ignorance or the lack of it according to some sort of hierarchy of worthwhile knowledge? Who decides what that is and how do they go about it?

If I walk into a martial arts studio, all there would regard me as unworthy of mention as I haven't a glimmer of even the basics of self defense. In a mainframe computer installation, I am more knowledgeable. At band rehearsals, I am often the smartest guy in the room. So which is it? Am I ignorant or knowledgeable? Both, I guess. depends on where I am. I suspect that's the way with almost everybody.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Texas, USA

#5787 Mar 1, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Defining "ignorance" is no easy task. I my limited experience, most people have areas of real expertise and a broad base of general knowledge balanced by even greater areas of ignorance and a huge collection of misconceptions. Do we define Ignorance or the lack of it according to some sort of hierarchy of worthwhile knowledge? Who decides what that is and how do they go about it?
If I walk into a martial arts studio, all there would regard me as unworthy of mention as I haven't a glimmer of even the basics of self defense. In a mainframe computer installation, I am more knowledgeable. At band rehearsals, I am often the smartest guy in the room. So which is it? Am I ignorant or knowledgeable? Both, I guess. depends on where I am. I suspect that's the way with almost everybody.
Right you are! Rash of me to say "billions live in ignorance and poverty". We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Even the World's illiterates possess skills and 'folk' knowledge that I hope we never lose. Unfortunately, religion was born and continues to thrive in an atmosphere of what can only described as "ignorance" for want of a better term. The tendency for Religious Folk to ignore or refuse to accept the revelations of Science to replace their cherished beliefs is something far worse than ignorance, which can be dispelled. Pigheadedness not so much.
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#5788 Mar 1, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Hill I really hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but you simply aren't nearly as smart .....
An interesting statement from some one too dumb to use the reply button.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5789 Mar 1, 2014
sorry iseeyou but Christians aren't the ones obsessing over atheists. We have no anti atheists campaigns and I very rarely ever hear you mentioned in church. However, when you guys get together God and Christians are your main topics.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Knoxville, TN

#5790 Mar 1, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
sorry iseeyou but Christians aren't the ones obsessing over atheists. We have no anti atheists campaigns and I very rarely ever hear you mentioned in church. However, when you guys get together God and Christians are your main topics.
That depends on how we get together. Id it's at an announced event and the only reason for getting together is to socialize with other atheists, some of us do tend to rail against religion in general and/or christianity in particular, but that does tend to get boring and repetitive, so even those conversations tend to peter out and turn to other subjects. More often, though, disbelief and perhaps even disdain are the undercurrent for other discussions from the latest discovery in science to a favorite fishing hole spot.

If we get together by chance and for another purpose, religion is rarely a topic for discussion. Really, you guys just aren't all that interesting.

Location hidden

#5791 Mar 1, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Why wouldn't we discuss you. You are trying to take over the world lol. I think that topic is worth discussing.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#5792 Mar 1, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>That depends on how we get together. Id it's at an announced event and the only reason for getting together is to socialize with other atheists, some of us do tend to rail against religion in general and/or christianity in particular, but that does tend to get boring and repetitive, so even those conversations tend to peter out and turn to other subjects. More often, though, disbelief and perhaps even disdain are the undercurrent for other discussions from the latest discovery in science to a favorite fishing hole spot.

If we get together by chance and for another purpose, religion is rarely a topic for discussion. Really, you guys just aren't all that interesting.
Agreed
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#5793 Mar 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Because god and christians are a plight on the human race.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5795 Mar 2, 2014
richard thanks for reaffirming the fact that atheists hate Christians. Shows how obsessed you guys are with us. Funny thing is we rarely give you a second thought.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr Ben Avraham 76,830
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 6 hr Rose_NoHo 671
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 hr Eagle 12 - 258,467
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 9 hr Dogen 4,291
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... Jul 19 Eagle 12 - 10
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Jul 18 John 4,952
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Jul 18 John 32,164
More from around the web