'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5710 Feb 25, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked in Seismic Exploration for 13 (interesting) years. The area under survey was called a "prospect" for a reason. The largest, most productive field in Oman lay untapped for decades because the first exploratory well missed it by \/ this much. They drilled the first hole where the terrain was a little more manageable ... oops!
Yep-- sometimes it's a matter of feet one way or the next.

I also worked indirectly in the Oklahoma Oil Patch, in the 80's and 90's (before Reagan's selfish policies dried it up), and I heard stories about how getting the mineral rights on property sometimes turned what seemed to be a good prospect, into just another dry hole-- they couldn't drill where they **really** wanted to, but the prospect was so "juicy" that they took a lease nearby.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#5711 Feb 25, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
angle you poor little baby. The big, bad Christian had a few harsh words for you? awwwww.
Lol no, not at all. he was just acting childish and unprofessional. i know your familiar with the type of behavior.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5712 Feb 25, 2014
did he make you cry. Big, bad Christians. We all know how mature Bill Maher can be

Judged:

13

13

13

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#5713 Feb 25, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
did he make you cry. Big, bad Christians. We all know how mature Bill Maher can be
How old are you? You behave like a child. Who the f$ck is talking about Bill Maher?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5714 Feb 25, 2014
Uh oh Angel is cursing again. Give me the big, bad Christians number and I'll tell him to take it easy on the poor little atheist.

Judged:

17

17

12

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#5715 Feb 25, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Uh oh Angel is cursing again. Give me the big, bad Christians number and I'll tell him to take it easy on the poor little atheist.
It was more of a statment of irony than anything. The point, it would seem, you have missed completely. I wish you well Anti, but I just dont have time for this nonsense today.

“Putten the SIN ”

Since: Nov 08

back in Wisconsin

#5716 Feb 25, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
It does imply a skeptical aspect that may well be a defining characteristic of a "rational" person. You've lost something when you merely fall into step cuz 'billions of people can't be wrong".
I have to disagree. It may not even necessarily imply skepticism do to incredulity, IE just giving up without even trying.. All so it may imply skepticism in only one area, the belief in a god. Ive known Atheists who believed in a whole latta wooo let me tell ya lol. Homeopathy, ghosts, Atlantis. Hell just insert the discovery channel here lol. And they weren't being skeptical or critical about their claims either. This was off the deep end, full blown, this stuff exists type thinking.

So I would have to disagree. While Atheism is the default position. It doesnt necessarily imply skepticism.

“Putten the SIN ”

Since: Nov 08

back in Wisconsin

#5717 Feb 25, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked in Seismic Exploration for 13 (interesting) years. The area under survey was called a "prospect" for a reason. The largest, most productive field in Oman lay untapped for decades because the first exploratory well missed it by \/ this much. They drilled the first hole where the terrain was a little more manageable ... oops!
How funny is that. It makes me wonder how many times thats happened lol
WarForOil

Rowlett, TX

#5718 Feb 26, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>

Yep-- sometimes it's a matter of feet one way or the next.
I also worked indirectly in the Oklahoma Oil Patch, in the 80's and 90's (before Reagan's selfish policies dried it up), and I heard stories about how getting the mineral rights on property sometimes turned what seemed to be a good prospect, into just another dry hole-- they couldn't drill where they **really** wanted to, but the prospect was so "juicy" that they took a lease nearby.
Very insightful your complaint about having to drill where they could
instead of where they wanted. No one should have been allowed to
stop them according to you. And then you'd be the first to complain
of rights being violated.

The world would never make you happy.
You have to make yourself successful and happy.
I'm happy.

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5719 Feb 26, 2014
gotnatas wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to disagree. It may not even necessarily imply skepticism do to incredulity, IE just giving up without even trying.. All so it may imply skepticism in only one area, the belief in a god. Ive known Atheists who believed in a whole latta wooo let me tell ya lol. Homeopathy, ghosts, Atlantis. Hell just insert the discovery channel here lol. And they weren't being skeptical or critical about their claims either. This was off the deep end, full blown, this stuff exists type thinking.
So I would have to disagree. While Atheism is the default position. It doesnt necessarily imply skepticism.
I see your point. A number of self-proclaimed Atheists simply trade one delusion for another. Hangers on the 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' mode. I tend to think of myself as a 'Scientific Atheist' or a "Rational Skeptic' although some might say that I flatter myself.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5720 Feb 26, 2014
gotnatas wrote:
<quoted text>
How funny is that. It makes me wonder how many times thats happened lol


Prolly not as often now with Slant Drilling and similar technologies. Of course, in Seismic, we kind of 'did our thing' and bugged out long before anybody drilled any holes. As long as we provided good data, we had done our jobs. Whether there was actually any oil in the area was beyond our interest.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5721 Feb 26, 2014
angel doesn't like it when someone calls her out on her obvious whining.

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5722 Feb 26, 2014
there is no such thing as a "scientific atheist" because atheism is extremely irrational and very unscientific. Do I need to go through the long list of items science has been wrong about. Piltdown ring a bell?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5723 Feb 26, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
there is no such thing as a "scientific atheist" because atheism is extremely irrational and very unscientific. Do I need to go through the long list of items science has been wrong about. Piltdown ring a bell?
No need. Science's mistakes are self correcting whereas religion holds their's sacred. The Scientist who upsets a theory is lauded, the priest who tries to 'buck the system' is outcast (or forms his own cult). There's no comparison.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5724 Feb 26, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
there is no such thing as a "scientific atheist" because atheism is extremely irrational and very unscientific. Do I need to go through the long list of items science has been wrong about. Piltdown ring a bell?
Furthermore, Science reveals a reality that is every bit as "awesome" as your make-believe world and not nearly as silly! A well drawn conclusion, based upon available evidence, is neither irrational or unscientific. That it aligns well with the label "Atheism" is simply coincidence.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#5725 Feb 26, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
there is no such thing as a "scientific atheist" because atheism is extremely irrational and very unscientific. Do I need to go through the long list of items science has been wrong about. Piltdown ring a bell?
It appears that Ken Ham is the god you worship.
Your knowledge of everything on the A.I.G. website is far more vast than your knowledge of any other "religious" works.

This website has become your new Bible and Mr. Ham your new messiah. He has found a market for his new type of religion and it appears that the masses, yourself included, are flocking to it. This is an excellent example of how a man can start a small following, grow it over time and eventually have his followers worship him as a god.
It has happened for thousands of years: Jesus,Muhammad, Joseph Smith, L Ron Hubbard and now Mr. Ham.

I dont really care who you worship Anti, it doesnt affect me. I do find the sociology of it facinating though.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5726 Feb 26, 2014
Ken Ham? Ha...did I mention Ken Ham? No..you did. YOU are the one obsessed not me.

How many times is "science" going to self correct? I mean really, true science has been hijacked by the likes of Richard Dawkins and a few others. How many scientific hoaxes have been revealed throughout the years. There have been a lot. Your belief system is just that........a belief and nothing more. Atheism is just dumb.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5727 Feb 26, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Ken Ham? Ha...did I mention Ken Ham? No..you did. YOU are the one obsessed not me.
How many times is "science" going to self correct? I mean really, true science has been hijacked by the likes of Richard Dawkins and a few others. How many scientific hoaxes have been revealed throughout the years. There have been a lot. Your belief system is just that........a belief and nothing more. Atheism is just dumb.
"Science" generates mountains of new information everyday. Religion goes over the same, tired old stuff (somewhere) by the dump truck load every minute of everyday. I no more make a study of deliberate "scientific hoaxes" than you do of pedophilic clergy. They are both aberrations or deviations from the "norm" and effectively cancel each other out as far as arguing purposes are concerned.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5728 Feb 26, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Ken Ham? Ha...did I mention Ken Ham? No..you did. YOU are the one obsessed not me.
How many times is "science" going to self correct? I mean really, true science has been hijacked by the likes of Richard Dawkins and a few others. How many scientific hoaxes have been revealed throughout the years. There have been a lot. Your belief system is just that........a belief and nothing more. Atheism is just dumb.
Furthermore, every new measurement, new observation, new genome sequenced, fossil unearthed, species identified, compound created, drug discovered is checked for fit within existing concepts and theories. If they don't fit ... the concepts change or the theory gets modified. So in answer to your question "Science" is tweaked, modified or reconfirmed thousands of times a day by researchers and laboratories all over the world. It's an ongoing process and it must not stop or be hampered by tea-leaf-reading, goat-intestine-defining, incense burning, bible thumping BOTS!!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5729 Feb 26, 2014
you see there hill, you start rambling on and on until you finally revert back to the typical name calling that practically every angry atheist spews out their vile mouths on practically a daily basis. I'm glad God has given me the truth so I can't stand on that rock regardless of what the next new "scientific" theory comes down the pike. The more science finds the more it supports creation.

I assume you think there is no God yet you freely admit science is always changing and finding out information. Science knows very little. We don't really even know how the human body works or how to cure a common cold. We knows practically nothing compared to all there is to know. With all that being said, its impossible for any honest person to say there is no God. Unfortunately, most atheists aren't honest. They are only concerned with being right and removing God from public.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 14 min Eagle 12 2,674
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 min Subduction Zone 61,198
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Dogen 28,314
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 15 hr IB DaMann 5,970
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Wed Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) Mar 18 Eagle 12 2,043
More from around the web