'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

Jul 5, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NewsOK.com

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Comments
5,301 - 5,320 of 7,541 Comments Last updated May 29, 2014
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#5656 Feb 24, 2014
gotnatas wrote:
<quoted text>

Oil companies are heavily dependent on geologists and their findings.

Not to bad for people fluent in the Igneous and or Sedimentary and or Metamorphic rock dialect.
Yes, that's why 3 outta 4 new exploratory wells fail.
Not bad for educated guesses.

Random drilling might be more productive.
Ignornous is widely spoken n Okieland.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#5657 Feb 24, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
I just wonder what atheists do when Christmas is over. Do they congregate for the latest Bill Nye debate maybe? Weekly atheist get togethers planning for the holiday season and how they are going to boycott the next business that says "Christmas" ?
What do Christians do when they're done celebrating the Pagan holiday known as Christmas?

Self flagellation?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5658 Feb 24, 2014
Beau wrote:
<quoted text>
RHill, this post is one of the most honest I've read on this thread. I don't hold it against people if they are none believers or believers we each have to figure that on our own. Just don't come to my home and tell me what I should believe, that I will go to hell if I don't conformed to your personal idea of a 'saved' person. Jehovah Witnesses are the worst in my experience. I told one woman who refused to leave me alone. Finally I just told her to haul her ass off my property and don't come back!
Honesty is the best policy! Maybe though you've hit upon something. Maybe our cyber-discussions get a little heated because at some level we feel as if these conflicting opinions are being presented to us in our 'cyber-home' territory. The Atheism Forum is sort of our cyber-home and the various bots who wander by, sort of cyber-doorbell ringing Jehovah Witnesses.

Texas, USA

#5659 Feb 24, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that's why 3 outta 4 new exploratory wells fail.
Not bad for educated guesses.
Random drilling might be more productive.
Ignornous is widely spoken n Okieland.
There are actually four scientific steps before drilling an exploratory well:

1. Geological assay.
2. Wide area (2D) Seismic Survey.
3. High Resolution (3D) Seismic Survey.
4. Throwing darts at map of prospect area.

Texas, USA

#5660 Feb 24, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
I just wonder what atheists do when Christmas is over. Do they congregate for the latest Bill Nye debate maybe? Weekly atheist get togethers planning for the holiday season and how they are going to boycott the next business that says "Christmas" ?
You seem to be under the false impression that Atheists need constant reaffirmation of our 'beliefs' in the same manner as you 'bots. Not so. The central fact of Atheism is so self evident, we don't need weekly meetings, prayer sessions, sing-a-longs, designated holidays, Charlie Brown TV Specials or Atheist gift wrap. Y'all have all that and still can't keep up.

Texas, USA

#5661 Feb 24, 2014
gotnatas wrote:
<quoted text>
The term "bot" isnt reserved for believers. Its for the people who have gone of the deep end of their religious belief. Anything that goes against their literal interpretation of their holy book must be denied and slandered at all cost. And all lies and deception on their part is COMPLETELY ACCEPTABLE.
MOST believers DONT fall into this category thank god lol
I dunno. By the time they make their way to an Atheism Forum on the Internet to sell their snake oil they've pretty much passed the Bot Test.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#5662 Feb 24, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
let me dumb it down for you iseeyou. You and other atheists don't really deserve much respect. Your opinions don't matter to me. You are incapable of offending me. Comprende?
Lol... Let me dumb it down for you... You are not important enough for me to care if you respect me or not darlin ;-), and I don't care if you get offended by anything said by me or anyone else lol. Comprende???
Agnostic

United States

#5663 Feb 24, 2014
All Christians ae full of lies, hate and deceit! Obama is the way the light, ObamaCare is here to stay so get used to it neo-cons.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5664 Feb 24, 2014
You don't need weekly meetings? Well you might ought to tell you fellow atheists this because they gather every month for their little atheist meetings. That also have get togethers to watch atheist/Christian debates. There are even national atheist conventions where I assume they spend all day talking about how they don't believe in God. Pretty funny
Beau

United States

#5665 Feb 24, 2014
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Honesty is the best policy! Maybe though you've hit upon something. Maybe our cyber-discussions get a little heated because at some level we feel as if these conflicting opinions are being presented to us in our 'cyber-home' territory. The Atheism Forum is sort of our cyber-home and the various bots who wander by, sort of cyber-doorbell ringing Jehovah Witnesses.
We have a mutual accord on honesty! I just think people get all worked up over something they shouldn't get all worked up over. If you believe good I glad you found something that enriches you life in some way. If you don't believe good I'm glad you have made a decision you can live with....whatever either way peace and happiness to all. I'm not going to fight a war over atheism or religion isn't going to happen I'd rather be fishing! Speaking of fishing I wonder if they are biting today, lol....

Peace be with you brother!

Texas, USA

#5666 Feb 24, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
You don't need weekly meetings? Well you might ought to tell you fellow atheists this because they gather every month for their little atheist meetings. That also have get togethers to watch atheist/Christian debates. There are even national atheist conventions where I assume they spend all day talking about how they don't believe in God. Pretty funny
It's clear Reason alone cannot prevail against people who will not or can not re-evaluate their programming. We must form ourselves into groups visible to policy makers. This is not something the majority of Atheists want to waste their time on.

Texas, USA

#5667 Feb 24, 2014
Beau wrote:
<quoted text>
We have a mutual accord on honesty! I just think people get all worked up over something they shouldn't get all worked up over. If you believe good I glad you found something that enriches you life in some way. If you don't believe good I'm glad you have made a decision you can live with....whatever either way peace and happiness to all. I'm not going to fight a war over atheism or religion isn't going to happen I'd rather be fishing! Speaking of fishing I wonder if they are biting today, lol....
Peace be with you brother!
If I could figure a way to fish from a smart-phone y'all would never be burdened with me again.

Live long and prosper!!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5668 Feb 24, 2014
oh so now you are admitting that you gather together on a regular basis? And just what policy are you referring to? Take God off our money and off all our monuments? lol what a joke

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Texas, USA

#5669 Feb 24, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
oh so now you are admitting that you gather together on a regular basis? And just what policy are you referring to? Take God off our money and off all our monuments? lol what a joke
Some do, some don't. I personally would not join any club that would have me as a member. Placing "In God we Trust" on our money was a political move, as it will be taking it off. We have different enemies now, some might say far godlier than even you bots! Besides, keeping church and state separate protects all us from tyranny.

Decorate YOUR property with all the monuments you want. Decorate OUR property with monuments which do not favor one mythology over another.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5670 Feb 24, 2014
Do you not realize your quest to remove God makes you look completely desperate? The vast majority of people have no problem with it at all.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5671 Feb 24, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Do you not realize your quest to remove God makes you look completely desperate? The vast majority of people have no problem with it at all.
Your god is on the decline.

Just as the Druids gods have faded, the Celitic gods have faded, the North American Native gods have all faded?

So, too will your god fade away.

It's already happening-- and the process is completely automatic.

There is **nothing** you can do to stop the process-- it began with the first government that refused to have an official government-supported religion (the US Constitution).

Whenever that document was crafted **WITHOUT** any gods of any kind?

It set the course such that, eventually, your god will fade away too.

That's the way of things-- gods-- not being real and all-- cannot remain.

They **always** fade away over time.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5672 Feb 24, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Here's a tip:

Why don't you **PRAY** that your god will remain steadfast?

Hmmm?

Perhaps you could also **PRAY** that your god will magically transform reality such that your god is suddenly **real**.

Good luck with that!

Location hidden

#5673 Feb 24, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
I always underestimate your ignorance.

Location hidden

#5674 Feb 24, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
What exactly are your groups rallying for?? Shove bibles in every school? Put prayer back on the morning announcements? Lol. You think you are special lol

Location hidden

#5675 Feb 24, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Do you not realize that your quest to make your religion the most seen heard and abused, makes you look greedy, arrogant, and hypocritical? There is a thing here in America where we are supposed to separate church and state. Of course some greedy, arrogant, hypocritical people decided to ignore this rule in America in the 50's and plaster their religion onto our paper money. No different than any other country that eventually gets taken over by religious fanatics I guess. Con artists make lots of money and money speaks volumes to the masses. I mean look at all the huge elaborate churches it takes draw your little sheeple in.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr MUQ1 21,505
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr CunningLinguist 226,391
The Ultimate Evidence of God 4 hr CunningLinguist 65
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 10 hr Jaimie 57
The myth of the angry atheist 11 hr _Bad Company 1
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! 12 hr Patrick 7
100% Faith Free 13 hr CunningLinguist 14
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••